Cockpit USA Indy Jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Cockpit USA Indy Jacket?

Post by rick5150 »

This may have been listed already, but I did not find it during a search and it is not on the Cockpit USA website yet. But anyone who has the latest Cockpit USA jacket has already seen this on the back cover:

It is listed as the Z21F007 Vintage Roughneck Oil Driller Jacket. Made from premium goatskin. S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL $498

Interesting comments in the description, with no Indy reference. My favorite is "Proudly made in the U.S.A. or Imported."
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Looks the part
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Allright!! Now I can go out and start drilling those oil wells!
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

that looks like a really nice jacket!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

cockpit usa are all avirex jackets, or something to that affect no?

i've been to the store in NYC......very nice, quality products. i was one click away from going with their horsehide motorcycle racing jacket.....sooo close :-k

i wouldn't mind hearing a full report on this offering. it looks quite nice.
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Cockpit USA Indy Jacket?

Post by twilekjedi »

rick5150 wrote:"Proudly made in the U.S.A. or Imported."
:?

Those pockets are really wide and the jacket looks kind of narrow at the shoulders in the photo, but I guess if your main objective is for a goatskin jacket in which you can do some real rough-and-tumble work, this would be an interesting option.
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Hi Guys -- This is pretty exciting/interesting news. Was this new jacket offering listed in the Cockpit catalogue? I'll tell ya, I am a big fan of Avirex/Cockpit--I have owned one of their A-2's in cowhide since about 1986 and have put it through h_ _ _ all over the world...built like a Sherman Tank! If they have come up with an Indy-like jacket, I'm game to see it. Cheers -- Lao Feng
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Lao Feng wrote:Hi Guys -- This is pretty exciting/interesting news. Was this new jacket offering listed in the Cockpit catalogue? I'll tell ya, I am a big fan of Avirex/Cockpit--I have owned one of their A-2's in cowhide since about 1986 and have put it through h_ _ _ all over the world...built like a Sherman Tank! If they have come up with an Indy-like jacket, I'm game to see it. Cheers -- Lao Feng
I also have a Avirex A-2 cowhide. Fabulous. And I got it on clearance in their Beverly Hills store for $150. I thought this brand was all but dead for this kind of stuff.
best
Canada
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana G wrote:cockpit usa are all avirex jackets, or something to that affect no?
There is info about it on Wings site. Avirex sold their name to another clothing company and continue their leather jackets under the 'Cockpit' name.

the new Avirex makes sports wear.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I wonder how they chose the "Vintage Roughneck Oil Driller Jacket" name?

I love the 'or Imported' part. Imported from?

Wings carries some Cockpit jackets, I wonder if they'll feature this?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Awesome find!

Nibs
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Wow....ya know...I just really, really like the look of the jacket. Looks worn and beaten in. Would patina nicely...hmm..tempting!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

....um...a few points are in order here..."Vintage Roughneck Oil Driller" are two distinct positions. The guys that work on the floor of the rig are 'Roughnecks'. Their boss is the Driller. Guys that do this kind of work don't wear jackets like the one pictured. They wear something like this, normally:

http://www.gobros.com/cat/Carhartt-Arct ... hartt_Mens

...a few days with this jacket in that invironment, and the jacket would be toast...it is a nice photo though! :)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

That's a great looking "Indy" jacket......I'd love to see shots of the back of it and the side straps....

So, is this not on sale yet? :-k

Let us know when you see it posted for sale on their website. :)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Definitely needs more pictures.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Texan Scott wrote:....um...a few points are in order here..."Vintage Roughneck Oil Driller" are two distinct positions. The guys that work on the floor of the rig are 'Roughnecks'. Their boss is the Driller. Guys that do this kind of work don't wear jackets like the one pictured. They wear something like this, normally:

...a few days with this jacket in that invironment, and the jacket would be toast...it is a nice photo though! :)

I'm going to guess they're just using that name for the jacket to make it sound tough and to keep it as far away from being associated with Indy as possible.

It's quite clearly modeled after Indy's jacket.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I don't see a collar stand
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Texan Scott wrote:....um...a few points are in order here..."Vintage Roughneck Oil Driller" are two distinct positions. The guys that work on the floor of the rig are 'Roughnecks'. Their boss is the Driller. Guys that do this kind of work don't wear jackets like the one pictured. They wear something like this, normally:

and their boss's boss that comes to visit them and get in the way of things is the ENGINEER.....who have a style of boots named after them.

HE would be wearing this jacket.....as he is a hypocrite and follows the "do as i say, not as i do" mentallity......yup, he'd be wearing this for sure.......or a TN1 ;-) :lol:

sorry.....just got back from the x-mas party and i had too much wine :oops:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Pitfall Harry wrote:It's quite clearly modeled after Indy's jacket.
Looks to be a nice Indy jacket, I agree.
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

That's almost screaming Indy IMO... Even so, it seems nice...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Cockpit USA Indy Jacket?

Post by Texan Scott »

rick5150 wrote: My favorite is "Proudly made in the U.S.A. or Imported."

My Guess is that the leather is imported, but the jacket could be cut/made here in the US. I'm not sure any tanneries exist anymore in the US.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I can see right now the rear panel is too narrow,,way too narrow. You can see on the shoulders where each side is attatched,,,way short of the shoulder seam. And the side straps are too high. Other than that, it looks like an o.k. jacket.

TR
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

Well... it looks like it has a "G-1 style" back... not an indy style back.

You're right about the side-straps though...
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

Hello my fellow obsessers. I stopped in the Cockpit USA store in NYC today to take a look at this thing. It is definitely NOT an Indy jacket, in fact its similarity seems almost coincidental. It IS a really nice jacket, though.

Now, I’m not a SA guy; I’ve always just wanted a really durable close-enough jacket. So I can’t talk about things like collar stands and pocket width. I have read enough on these boards, though, that I can point a few things out.

First the big differences: There’s a strip of leather that runs across the back, about from buckle to buckle. While not Indy, it does look pretty good. Also, those side straps are purely ornamental; the back-pleat doesn’t go all the way down.

The pleat is pretty shallow and stops a few inches above the straps. The straps have a very different type of buckle, but they seem much less intrusive than the buckles on my Wested.

The leather is sheep, according to the guy who works there. It’s definitely distressed, though not as uniformly as the pre-distressed Wested hide. It may just be more roughly finished. Either way, it looks really good.

It also has snaps on the collar. It seemed a bit longer, as well. I got the “temple of doom” style from Wested, which means an inch longer. This jacket appeared to go even longer than that. Although I’m a shorter guy, so it might hang higher up on a taller person. (my Wested was custom made) And the zipper pull is on the wearer’s right side.

The inside pockets are very different. It has a snapped, side-entry pocket on the wearer’s left, and a smaller, cell phone pocket. On the right it has a top-down pocket. I actually prefer this jacket’s configuration, in terms of functionality.

As far as its wear, it drapes very nicely. It looks nicely broken in. The sleeves were a bit tighter than my Wested, which would probably preclude wearing a fleece underneath.

It’s a nice enough jacket. More fashion than hard use. Also, given the price, it’s not really a close-enough, if anyone is going for the Indy look.

Incidentally, the people who work at Cockpit USA in Manhattan are really, really nice. When you consider how awful most store clerks are at so many stores in the city, I have to give the Cockpit USA guys their due.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

thanks for that review Adam. It sounds like it's a morph of a few different jackets. G2, A2, I-J
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

The price is at $498 at the NYC Cockpit, Adamin? Just curious.

I got my first Indy-like jacket from that store, I don't know it must be over twenty years ago now. It used to be my favorite store in all of NYC. I've bought a number of different jackets from that store over the years but haven't been there in quite some time. I'll have to plan a visit in the near future. Thanks for the review.

On a slightly related note - I'll be up in the Boston area this whole upcoming week. Are there any good stores/shops in the greater Boston area of this type that I might not be aware of? Thanks!