Wested & alterations

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested & alterations

Post by hoose55 »

Anyone know if Wested can shorten the length of the body of a jacket? I know should just ask Wested, but I didn't know if anyone had done this and if it is as costly as I think it is going to be. I love the jacket, I just need it an inch shorter and an inch taken off the waist.
Council?
Michealson?
-J
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

They can if it is a custom order

NIBS
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

order a normal size made in the UK and let them do mods on it.that should be no prob.when I order jackets I have lots of mods.never a problem for me.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Um, I think the OP is asking if Wested can modify an EXISTING jacket...
I would imagine they could, but you will probably have stitch marks from the pockets, which will need to be moved upwards too, I guess.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Not sure where you live,but if you are here in the states try a tailor who does leather work and see if it can be doen without totally changing the jacket. If so try that,if your not completely trusting the guy wested is your best bet. I have a guyh ere Illinois that is awesome and I trust completely,he's really good and has fixed many of my leather jackets.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

I JUST called to speak to Peter, but he was out at the moment. Gemma told me, while coughing up a storm, that they CANNOT alter existing jackets. I asked about doing exactly the same thing you want to do(making the back shorter) and she said that "there's more to it than just that. You'd have to cut a whole new jacket. You can't just make it shorter." :?

I ALSO would like to see if I could have little gussets installed under the arms for better movement.

I've got a goat, off the rack. I REALLY like this leather. I like how durable it is and how resilient it is to the weather. It drapes nicely and the color's great too. I washed it down with alcohol to get rid of the shine it had, so now it's a nice shade of brown. I may take some acetone to it, to make it look more distressed and lighten it up, but I'll take it slowly.

I'd rather spend the money to have THIS jacket altered, than have a new one made. Not because of the cost of a new jacket (I can afford that)... I just don't need two jackets and I don't want to get into the hassle of selling the other one, if I have one made for me.

Gemma said that Peter would be back in an hour... I think I'll call back then. Maybe I'll get a different answer. :)
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

I spoke to Peter.

What a great guy. :)

Yes... They CAN do alterations. He CAN and WILL do alterations.

But it's a pain in the butt for him and he feels it's not worth the money spent in shipping it back and forth, plus the $60 alteration fee that he charges. He's of the mind that if you're gonna' spend THAT much money (around $65 US) to ship it there and back, it's better to just have a whole new jacket made custom and then Ebay the old jacket.

He can shorten it AND he can add gussets. But it's a lot of work for him and he wouldn't be able to jump on it immediately.

I'm still deciding. I REALLY like my off the rack goat. But, I don't want to be the pain in the butt for him.

:)
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

I'm in the same boat. I love the jacket and have some great scars and wear. I just need an inch and a half to two inches off the bottom, and an inch out of the waist. I'll gladly spend the money to ship and alter, I just don't want to be a pain. The alternative is to wear this jacket for three more years and make sure that the next one is slightly shorter.
I may just have it altered.
J-
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The issue here is, where would they take the 1.5 inches from?

Can't be from the bottom of the jacket because the pockets would fall off the bottom. You can't move the pockets, as you'd get lots of stitch holes not to mention the big hole where the hand warmer was.

One possibility is to remove the sleeves and cut away from the tops of the shoulders, but that is basically making a new jacket.

I really don't think it's worth it, better to get a one one made and sell off the older.

But, unless you are really swimming in it, 1.5" is really not so much.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

To JUST take it out of the back panel, the sides would stick down below it. So, the sides would have to be tapered to meet it. That's a lot of work. And then to take it out of the waist as well, I would think they'd have to totally dissasemble almost the whole jacket and bring in the panels, to taper the entire coat, to make the waist narrower.

Right?

You may just want to have a new one made instead, to your specs.

I might be doing that myself, after selling some of my other props and costume pieces, to blunt the expense.

Christmas is coming. :roll:

This year, instead of all the toys and junk for the kids (which they play with for a few days and then they play with their old stuff), we've al decided that we'd keep it to one present each (plus one from Santa) and then we'd surprise the kids with a vacation, later in the year.

This is gonna' be an expensive Christmas. So... If I want a new jacket... I gotta' make ends meet. :lol:

:)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

hoose55 wrote: I just need an inch and a half to two inches off the bottom, and an inch out of the waist.
You are talking about the jacket, and not you personally, right? :[ :lol: ;-)
erikewhit
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Wested & alterations

Post by erikewhit »

Thanks for sharing this amazing informative post with us i found this helpful for Waistcoat alteration services in WATFORD, STANMORE, Borehamwood, BUSHEY, HARROW, Rickmansworth & KINGS LANGLEY UK.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wested & alterations

Post by Dalexs »

erikewhit wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:20 am Thanks for sharing this amazing informative post with us i found this helpful for Waistcoat alteration services in WATFORD, STANMORE, Borehamwood, BUSHEY, HARROW, Rickmansworth & KINGS LANGLEY UK.
I think he's just asking if Wested, the maker of the jacket, can shorten it. OR is looking for someone here in the states that can do it.
And this post is 16 years old from 2008... ;)