my 'Herbert Johnson'

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

my 'Herbert Johnson'

Post by Indiana G »

:lol:

my very first hat was an HJ from todd. i wore it on my wedding day. i demolitioned the hat as i thought i could improve it during a reblock......back when i was just a noob hatmaker. i still am a noob compared to the big guns here but i am learning alot and honing my skills...stitch by stitch. the hat became pretty much unwearable as i really stunk up the whole place with my sloppy work......:lol:

anyways, what's left of the hat and the only thing worth keeping on a modern HJ is the beautiful crested liner:

everything else, i built up around it and therefore improving the felt, quality of sweat, stitching, and ribbon work of course......new and better materials. materials that HJ should use if they ever gave a #### about selling hats to indiana jones fans.......in a sense, this is my imitation of an IMHJ.....and i mean that as the most sincerest form of flattery to mags and steve. :)

this is definitely the best one i've made yet. i was meticulous throughout the whole build-up. i'm very happy with it......and though i thought nothing could knock off my CS AB as my go to hat......i think i've found a heavy contender.

cheers all,

G
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Your skills are coming along nicely. That's one of the best HJ's I've seen. Very nice job!
Belegnole
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Belegnole »

Very nice.....maybe the liner should say "Indy G"
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

Wow that looks great for a HJ, you did a good job. I've been wanting to learn how to make a nice hat.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Nice work!! Good job with the block - looks like little to no taper from the front pic. :tup:! :notworthy: I wish I could do these sorts of things. I'm always amazed at how creative our members are. We collect things for so long, and then we have members who start making their own hats, or their own whips. It's awesome!

Shane
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:shock:

I... uh... I'm kinda' speechless about this one... she's such a beaut.

Just say the word when you're ready for your first real Client, G.

Whether it's a month from now or a year from now... I'm very sincere when I say I'd be honored...

:)
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

It looks great! :tup: :tup:
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

G, that hat looks fantastic :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

thanks everyone!!! i'm digging the beefy crown....reminds me of the flying wing fight scenes. there was a nice picture of ford just as he exits the tomb....he turns to his side and you can see a beautiful profile of the hat. if anyone has that, i'd appreciate the link :)

like i've said numerous times before, you never know how a piece of gear really looks unless its on somebody:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212 ... CT2538.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212 ... CT2541.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212 ... CT2542.jpg

mitch, if i ever go and sink a couple o grand in getting a hat shop opened up......you should keep this thread handy. the first hat that would come of your sized block will be free to you my friend. thanks for the unwavering support since day 1, my fellow countryman.

cheers,

G
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Don't give HJ credit for that, take it for yourself, it looks fantastic!
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Wow... that is a piece of work sir.

I have a "Todd's", (I hate to repeat myself, but...) after three years, it still looks outstanding! BUT, the work you did is amazing. It is so weird that some of the HJ's posted here can look so wrong and others can look so right.

Very nice!

MB
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

And by the way!

Why do you have the "Red Liner" and nobody else can get a hold of it!? ](*,)

Grrr...

MB
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

WOW! Amazing refurbishment! :shock:
Congrats and enjoy!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

whoa.....hold on folks.....please bear in mind that nothing on this hat is HJ other than the liner.

the felt is from winchester, the sweat is ordered from a well known sweat manufacturing company in the states, the ribbon is from a friend ;-) , and the block was from indy g sr.'s garage :lol:

please do not assume you can get a modern HJ looking like this......because you can't. not with that felt......unless i can get a felt hat body from HJ that is 6" in the crown and has a 6" brim. i'm considering doing fedora's "water blocking" treatment with say a size 62 HJ and do a complete tear down and rebuild of it......but that's a $300 gamble and i still have to pay for a TN1 that i haven't even received yet 8)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

michaelb wrote:And by the way!

Why do you have the "Red Liner" and nobody else can get a hold of it!? ](*,)

Grrr...

MB
that liner is over 2 years old......i have one more with a red crest that i'm saving for a future hat :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

G, your work is improving exponentially. I loved your Ravenbar hat, but this one is simply a work of art. I really do like the felt you've used. I have always preferred the look of rabbit and this one is no exception. Excellent work. And your block seems like it flawless; that hat has no taper...and that back taper is increadible. I swore off brown Indy hats ordering my AB and buying my Penman, but that is a hat that I would gladly add to my colleciton of hats. :clap:

Dave
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

I'm sorry,

I didn't understand.

But still, a great looking hat!

MichaelB
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Indiana G wrote:thanks everyone!!! i'm digging the beefy crown....reminds me of the flying wing fight scenes. there was a nice picture of ford just as he exits the tomb....he turns to his side and you can see a beautiful profile of the hat. if anyone has that, i'd appreciate the link :)
I found this in a new packaging of Raiders that was sold in conjunction with the release of KOTCS. It's a still, just outside the Well of Souls exit. I can't believe the backtilt on this hat. It mostly goes away in the Tunisian shots, but I think this is just after they arrived. Image WOW! Indiana G posts a sideshot of his fedora- ON HIS HEAD!. Almost all you see around here is front shots, probably because the side shots are tapered WHEN WORN. The hat must have really tapered, or TRANSFORMED in the heat of Tunisia and Ford's steaming hot head. (Sorry about the pic quality).. Question- didn't Marc's AB Deluxes have 360 stovepipes a while back? I thought they looked TOO full. Is he making hats with some taper now? A 360 stovepipe works if it's a tight fit, imo.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Great job, G! I love the rear reverse taper in the side shot - how did you achieve that? It does look a little top heavy to me and therefore a bit caricaturish, but nothing that can't be fixed by a decent top dent, I would have thought.

I second Mitch LaRue's sentiment about taking on clients. I reckon it would be a bit selfish to keep all that hat making talent to yourself.

;-)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Indiana G wrote:mitch, if i ever go and sink a couple o grand in getting a hat shop opened up......you should keep this thread handy. the first hat that would come of your sized block will be free to you my friend. thanks for the unwavering support since day 1, my fellow countryman.
:shock: & :oops:

Shocked and (in THIS case) humbled by your words here, Indiana G...

I don't think I'd ever try to hold you to your promise on this matter... It's simply TOO generous, sir...

But the sentiment behind it way beyond the value of ANY hat... And much appreciated.
All the Best,
Mitch
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Excellent work...one of the best hat seen on Obi Wan for me.
don't wait too long time to start a "business"...because you have really a gift for...
Congratulation
Anjali
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

ANJALI wrote:Excellent work...one of the best hat seen on Obi Wan for me.
don't wait too long time to start a "business"...because you have really a gift for...
Congratulation
Anjali
wow..thank you for the compliment....its been a while since i've seen you post. i'm honored that it was here.

much regards,

G
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Wow, Indiana G, that hat is amazing. Absolutely incredible job!

Hey, it's an iron ring! I used to wear one of those.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Baldwyn wrote:Wow, Indiana G, that hat is amazing. Absolutely incredible job!

Hey, it's an iron ring! I used to wear one of those.
not practicing anymore?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Naw, moved to the States, and don't really like to wear rings. Since I don't wear a wedding ring, my wife would kill me if I still wore my iron ring :)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Baldwyn wrote:Naw, moved to the States, and don't really like to wear rings. Since I don't wear a wedding ring, my wife would kill me if I still wore my iron ring :)

:lol: ....i take my wedding ring off when i go play hockey but the engineering ring stays on. when my wife asked me why, i told her because being married will damage my recreational activities more than being employed...... :lol:

....scuse me....gotta go prepare my beddings on the couch...... :lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana G wrote:
Baldwyn wrote:Naw, moved to the States, and don't really like to wear rings. Since I don't wear a wedding ring, my wife would kill me if I still wore my iron ring :)

:lol: ....i take my wedding ring off when i go play hockey but the engineering ring stays on. when my wife asked me why, i told her because being married will damage my recreational activities more than being employed...... :lol:

....scuse me....gotta go prepare my beddings on the couch...... :lol:
I would think so.

I would take off my wedding ring down at the firehouse.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I feel I need to add to the pressure...

...G, open shop and start taking orders. 8)

Dave
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

awesome work, the swoop on both sides look perfect (but you need to flip your pictures if you take them in the mirror!)

I leave my ring on in my hockey gloves.. don't trust it to be left alone in the room..
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Piers wrote:I leave my ring on in my hockey gloves.. don't trust it to be left alone in the room..
Isn't that dangerous to your fingers?

O and G, if you do start that company, warn us before you send Mitch that hat will you: we need the time to get there with the smelling salt ;-)

Regards, Geert
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That's good thinking, Geert...
Back on Saturday when G wrote that, I got light-headed just from reading it!
;-)
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

gwyddion wrote:
Piers wrote:I leave my ring on in my hockey gloves.. don't trust it to be left alone in the room..

Regards, Geert
I've never had a problem.. it's well protected in there, and I don't swell up to make it uncomfy
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Piers wrote:
gwyddion wrote:

Regards, Geert
I've never had a problem.. it's well protected in there, and I don't swell up to make it uncomfy
i can go off topic cuz it's my thread.....ha ha!!!

piers, be very careful about that my friend as i've seen an incident where the ring sheared the finger off the bone like how you unroll a wrapper off a candy cane....it's pretty grizzly stuff :shock: its a hard ring over soft tissue...so if you get a skate blade on it, or what have you, you're glove will actually assist in shearring the ring down to your fingernails....kinda like how you need a rubber band to open a stuck jar sometimes. i'm probably not making sense but i've seen what can happen and avoid it like the plague :o

i have to take my ring off........because of my huge slapper.......yup....happy gilmour has got nothing on me...the montreal canadiens are gonna call me any day now.........gonna go to the 'big show'.....yup......{crickets chirping}.....