Why Epaulets?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Why Epaulets?

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Epaulets seem to be on every "adventure shirt" including Indy's and a lot of military and pilot shirts. Can anyone enlighten me as to their original and continued purpose? I have always liked the look, but for maybe other than keeping a camera strap secure, what is or was their purpose?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

They were originally designed to signify military rank

NIBS
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I like to imagine they became associated with adventure and safari when British troops were in India or some other exotic place. I think that's a good reason, don't you? Especially if you were back in the motherland hearing about these soldiers out in India? :o

Shane
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Epaulets were designed to keep gear from slipping off of your shoulder. Things that have a shoulder strap, like messenger bags, guns and holsters with lanyards, binoculars, canteens, etc. That is what the button is for so you can put the strap underneath it.

Jake
Last edited by Indiana Jake on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Well said, Jake.

Webbing was designed so it could be worn under the epaulets. Rank insignia were then later fixed on the epaulets, sometimes on loose slip-ons that could be removed when the shirt or jacket was laundered.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Originally they were used to keep fancy-schmancy scarves, sashes, and other ordorments in place by the French Militia. Since they were mainly used by the French officers, epaulettes were used to signified military rank.

Now I think they are used to keep gear in check, clip radio mics to, etc. I clip a LED flashlight to mine when ones needed for what I am doing...other than that they are just part of the shirt design.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Thank you everyone who has replied. I appreciate the quick responses. A young gal in my German 101 class asked me about them last night, so when we have class again on Wednesday, I'm be happy to pass this information on.
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Always happy to help you impress young gals...

:lol:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Just to add to what Knibs said, they are still used by our US Navy to attach military rank. :tup:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

The military only uses them now to attach rank. As far as I know, original epaulets were nothing but rank, and not the sewn on strap that the Indy shirt has. I don't think there ever was a practical purpose for them. I think it's always been to show off rank, and nothing more.

Wikipedia agrees with me...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epaulette
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I agree with Brody.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

I believe it is very plausible that epaulets have been used for all of the above listed purposes over the years, despite what Wikipedia says.
Mark Brody wrote:Wikipedia agrees with me...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epaulette
I'm not saying that Wikipedia is right or wrong in this case, I just want to point out that ANYONE can upload information to Wikipedia. It is really not a reliable primary source of information and should only be used to get a sense of direction for other sources.

Sorry about the off-topic. I just wanted to make that brief point.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

True, Wikipedia is not the most reliable source, but as someone who's worn uniforms with epaulets for the past 8 years (both the sewn on ones and the gold and silver shoulder boards), I've never heard of, or seen any other practical use for them.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Mark Brody wrote:True, Wikipedia is not the most reliable source, but as someone who's worn uniforms with epaulets for the past 8 years (both the sewn on ones and the gold and silver shoulder boards), I've never heard of, or seen any other practical use for them.
I agree with you. I wore a uniform with epaulets from 1989 to 2004. The only use I found for them, besides the rank designation as you pointed out, was a handy spot to hang my sunglasses, or a radio mic.

I still don't know the history of them though. Probably French though. They come up with silly things like that a lot. :mrgreen:

EDIT - after re-reading my post, maybe I don't agree with you after all. Since I just described two practical uses, even though they may be 'off-label' uses.
Last edited by Cammer on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Safari hunters have used epauletts for 100 years to secure binoculars, cameras, canteens and game bags to keep them from slipping off their shoulders.
I buttoned my 7 year old sons Indy bag strap under his epaulett this Halloween because it kept slipping around.
If you'll notice, all Safari shirts to this day have epauletts for that very reason.
Police uniforms have them and they are used to secure their radio receivers.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

TheMechanic wrote:Police uniforms have them and they are used to secure their radio receivers.
We also used them to route the strap of our Sam Brown belt under them on our dress uniform. Our shirts had them also.
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

they look cool!
:whip:
Drhenryindianajones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Drhenryindianajones »

Epaulettes are a French invention, coming from the French word epaule for "shoulder." In the days before binoculars and "fatigue" style uniforms, soldiers needed to be able to identify their officers in the heat of battle. Epaulettes with their fringe are noticeable from a distance and helped identify officers. Conventions on whether to wear the epaulettes on the right shoulder, left shoulder, or on both shoulders, have changed over the years, and the French decided epaulettes should be worn on both shoulders by officers.

In the United States, military officers followed the French style of epaulettes as late as the Civil War. After that time, however, they became less popular. The British found that epaulettes, impressive-looking as they are, can be seen by snipers as well as the average soldier or sailor. When it became obvious that snipers were picking off the officers because their epaulettes made them more visible, the British armed forces removed them from the uniform. The United States military probably removed them for the same reason. Epaulettes are still seen occasionally on the most formal dress uniforms.

Epaulettes have also been used as fashion statements for women's gowns. It has often been common for women's dress to mirror uniforms when their countries are at war. Touches such as gold braid and brass buttons on garments reinforce this look, and women have worn epaulettes on formal gowns to give their fashions a military air. Designers sometimes still incorporate this most recognizable insignia into their couture.

Over the past 200 years or so, epaulettes have come to signify flashy military authority in the United States, and someone lampooning an officer will often wear outsized epaulettes for comic effect. However, epaulettes, as odd as they may seem now, once did serve an important purpose for the men who wore them, and for the men under their authority