KotCS Backpack (UPDATED thread on Germany Army Rucksack!)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Oh, I notice now the closing straps have the plastic snap things and not the buckles on the leather straps of the movie piece...
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I never thought of that J!m, its worth a shot. Thanks!
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

This looks pretty good; I think I'm going to get one...

You really can't go wrong for ten bucks... ;-)
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

I just thought I'd let you guys know, I just tried to order one from the sportsmans guide, and it says that they are out of stock until December 3rd. :(

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Mine is in great condition!

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Thanks Jens. Arrived safe, sound, and beautiful.

Jens wrote:Thanks for letting me know - finally they arrive one after one. Kind regards,
Jens
Last edited by Mannie Bothans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

Any gearheads in Norwich England,the army surplus shop in Pottergate has two in stock at £19.99
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

My ebay.de backpack arrived today already so you can be confident of the seller.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Seriously? That's awesome! Must have been sent via air mail?
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Is this the correct backpack on Ebay shown at this link? (link removed)

It's listed as a German Army Alpine Backpack, so you can do a search for it. It only has about a day left on the auction with no bidders yet!

EDIT - Link to the Ebay auction removed. There weren't any bidders yet anyhow so someone just might get a smoking deal on it.

Here's a pic of it -

Last edited by Cammer on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

Yep,looks like the puppy!
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Well someone bid on it then! :whip:

I already got mine on the way. :)
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

How about this one?
Last edited by JC1972 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

BTW I think the forum rules state not to post links to active auctions.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:BTW I think the forum rules state not to post links to active auctions.
Thank you for pointing that out. I think you are right. I removed the link in my posting to save the moderators some trouble.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

JC1972 wrote:How about this one?

(link removed)
That is not the same thing, but it would probably be a good "close enough" version for most folks who are not concerned with perfect screen accuracy.

I have just done an occasional Ebay search for "german backpack" and kept my eyes open. These do turn up, but rarely. I found one a day or two ago that was listed as new and unissued with a Buy It Now price of 15 pounds. Total of 29 pounds ($43) with shipping. Hopefully it will arrive in a week or so. :)
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I was at Cabelas this weekend and they had the 'modern' version (as posted earlier) in stock for $20.00 if anyone is interested.

The modern one is the same, but has plastic snap buckles instead of the leather straps and metal buckles. otherwise, it appears the same.

A good leather shop could change the straps if you wanted to...

Just letting everyone know!

PS it has many dividers/pockets inside, and looks like a great pack for whatever you might need it for!
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

J!M, WHERE in Cabela's did you find that bag? I went nuts one day looking for it and couldn't find one!

;-)
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I was in ther on Saturday afternoon- I grabbed a Columbia Titanium light jacket (retail of $95.00) for $19.95! Couldn't pass that up...

I went upstairs to look at packs, as I'm in the market curently, and Isaw a single green pack in the corner. It was the german one; even still had the German tag inside! $20.00 was the price but I didn't grab it...

That was the East Hartford store by the way; not sure if you guys have on in RI or not...
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

You can get the modern version for $10 at several online surplus/sporting sites. I've had one for a while and when I got it, it still had the velcro name tag of the German soldier who used it.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

The Cabelas one was new, unissued. Had the new velcro where the name tag goes, no name tag.

It was clearly unused.

Sportsman's guide had them, but is currently out of stock...

I think I'd like the old one, but maybe not... Still on the fence which is why I did not grab the one on Saturday... :-k
McHale
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by McHale »

Hi

look very goob for me.

one version is visible in the Crime In Oxford movie
with Elijah Wood..

Best

McHale
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Well the run on these has started, one just went for £49.28, that's about $75!!
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

J!M, RI doesn't have a Cabela's but over the border to CT and THEY have one :lol: I go there every so often with some friends. What secton were the bags in; sporting goods, hunting, camping? :-k

;-)
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Which one of you just won this? Cause I know no "normal" person would bid that much!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0273070634 ;-)
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Indiana Neri wrote:J!M, RI doesn't have a Cabela's but over the border to CT and THEY have one :lol: I go there every so often with some friends. What secton were the bags in; sporting goods, hunting, camping? :-k

;-)
Upstairs in camping, with the other back packs near the tents etc.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Mine from this ended auction arrived on Friday! fnatastic bag and exactly the same as CS. Very happy indeed!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0275035133

I'll put up some pics when I get the chance
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I won this off ebay, the seller took my offer. How's this for $45?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0261273982

Now I have to sell my modern version I got from Sportsman Guide.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I won the bag on ebay today. I love these bags. I have two vintage and the modern one I converted using the extra hardware on the Bond bag I got in April.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Just a little bit of a teaser guys. I am working on a group buy for these rucksacks.

I have found a source who claims that he can provide me with 10 unissued condition vintage style packs, possibly more. I have purchased one of the packs and it is currently being shipped to me. I will evaluate it and post photos. Once that is done I will post details of the cost after I see what I can work out with the seller for a quantity discount.

I should know more by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, this looks to have some promise.

If you would like to show some early interest in this deal please send me a PM and I will start a list of interested parties. Of course this is VERY preliminary, and I don't have any costs figured as yet, so the list is only for those interested in more information. Also, please realize that this may take a few weeks to come to fruition, so be patient. Although I really don't mind being reminded, so feel free to send me a PM if you have questions. ;-)

By the way, I also bought one of the newer model surplus German rucksacks with the plastic fasteners. While it looks to be a great pack, is PLENTY big, and should be very practical for daily use, it is different especially where all the straps are concerned. But it's a really great pack, especially if you can find one for less than $20 shipped. I'm planning on switching over to it and leave my nylon North Face daypack at home on school days.

EDIT - Here is a vendor supplied photo of what I hope will be coming our way soon.

Ghost
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

hmmm

Post by Ghost »

I don't want to put a damper on this but..I think that is remake new bag in the photo. The leather (if it is leather not vinyl) is much thiner. This was gone over in this post long ago. There are LOTS of the new remakes out there. Check amazon.de etc. Again look for links in earlier posts.
I do hope this is an old one for all of you that still need a bag :whip:

-Ghost
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: hmmm

Post by Cammer »

Ghost wrote:I don't want to put a damper on this but..I think that is remake new bag in the photo. The leather (if it is leather not vinyl) is much thiner. This was gone over in this post long ago. There are LOTS of the new remakes out there. Check amazon.de etc. Again look for links in earlier posts.

-Ghost
Thanks for the tip Ghost. Little things like this are the reason that I ordered one to examine prior to jumping the gun and causing a lot of disappointment. These were described to me as being older German military issue surplus rucksacks with leather fittings.

Just so you know, the current German rucksacks that are being surplused do have a vinyl base to them. I have one of these and find that it is actually an extremely strong and thick vinyl that is backed with heavy canvas duck. I would say that it is superior to leather in every way except pure aesthetics.

Also, it would not be jumping to an assumption to reason that, like most military items, there are variations based on evolving contract requirements. I'm sure that there are several evolutions of this item over the years with minor variations. Because of the limited photo evidence it is going to be difficult to determine exactly which rucksack was used in KOTCS so we might consider more than one variation as acceptable because there are no facts to exclude them.

A while back I got onto Amazon.de but I discovered that I can't read German, no matter how hard I try. :lol:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

looks great!! :)

NIBS
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

[quote="Cammer]
Also, it would not be jumping to an assumption to reason that, like most military items, there are variations based on evolving contract requirements. I'm sure that there are several evolutions of this item over the years with minor variations. [/quote]

I think this has been proven to be the case with the mark VII beyond a reasonable doubt...

It MAY be possible to get in touch with some people involved with the movie production to clarify the details.

Another log on the fire could be that they used several types, just like the jacket delemia... :-k
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Wow ... I was just one and a half week off for a sailing adventure and find this thread buzzing with excitement. :lol:

First: Thanks to everybody who let me know, that their backpacks arrived.

Second: Interesting new source you have turned up here! Seems to be a good point to start and even a bit cheaper than the backpacks I was able to receive until now. Any reviews on these bags (originals, condition, etc.) - would be interesting not only to me I guess.

Third: Sorry, but I am a bit confused now by all the reports of people ordered their bags otherwise. Could you please again confirm, if your still interested in getting one of "my" bags ... or is it time for me to stop searching for them?

Kind regards,
Jens
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Jens wrote:Wow ... I was just one and a half week off for a sailing adventure and find this thread buzzing with excitement. :lol:

First: Thanks to everybody who let me know, that their backpacks arrived.

Second: Interesting new source you have turned up here! Seems to be a good point to start and even a bit cheaper than the backpacks I was able to receive until now. Any reviews on these bags (originals, condition, etc.) - would be interesting not only to me I guess.

Third: Sorry, but I am a bit confused now by all the reports of people ordered their bags otherwise. Could you please again confirm, if your still interested in getting one of "my" bags ... or is it time for me to stop searching for them?

Kind regards,
Jens

I still think there's very much of a demand for these, so if you still have sources, I believe people will appreciate the effort and buy them. I should have one on the way, but as you know, it takes a while for these to get through Customs. So...I can probably be taken off the list, pending the arrival of my bag from Germany.

Derek
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I too am very much "still" interested. The question is which of the two of you can get your hands on them first.

Cammer has a source and I'm sure people who are on your list have PM'd him with interest, he can only get 10, so if the back packs he gets are the correct bag then I'd assume that would take 10 off your list and just move up people on your list, Jens.
Either way people are still interested. Any luck w/any new sources?

Croft
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I am still interested.
OSU1138
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OSU1138 »

I'm still interested as well.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

INTERESTED! :)
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Sorry double post.
Indiana Tim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Tim »

I'm interested. Doesn't matter which of you gets them, so long as its the real deal... :)
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I'm still needing one as well.

TR
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

anyone know how to do the "HJ" on the backpack?

NIBS
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

knibs7 wrote:anyone know how to do the "HJ" on the backpack?

NIBS
I watched that scene closely last night and it really looks like it is an embroidered patch sewn on to the flap.

I can't do screen shots off my DVD or I'd post a pic here, unless someone knows a freebie bit of software that will do that for me.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Okay, it took me some time to finally "settle down" again and daily work has caught me again. But I finally was able to update the list of interested parties, you find here:

01. Indiana MarkVII
02. NewJerseyRaider
03. Indiana Kev
04. Venkman
05. jedidentist
06. ANZAC_1915
07. gmarthe
08. Arkansas Smith
09. Anderson
10. Indiana Croft
11. Indiana Jake
12. IndyMo
13. OSU1138
14. grizzlelee
15. Texas Raider
16. IndianaSVT
17. gi_canuck
18. BOINKFFD
19. Indiana Citroen
20. franky jones
21. u2_m4r1n3
22. Hunter57
23. HJoe
24. Indiana Neri
25. sithspawn
26. midwestwhips
27. Cammer

If there is anybody on the list, who is not interested anymore - please let me know. Also if there is any other mistake in that list.

I'm back on trail, gentlemen. ;-)
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Addendum:

Due to some PNs I received, I wanted to point out again, that you please only request to be on this list, if you are really and seriously interested to obtain one of those backpacks. Please no "maybe" I take one, just set my name onto the list, I decide later. The simple reason is, that I am not a vendor with a stock of these bags to just send them out. I'll have to search, find and obtain each single backpack myself - paying it in advance! I have to beg your pardon, that I can't afford to by a couple of bags and only then see, if anybody will buy it from me again.

Sorry for any discomfort and thanks a lot in advance.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Well, after waiting for a few weeks, I can finally be taken off the list. I got a P.O. postcard in the mail last night telling me that my package was waiting, and here's what I got:

It's in really good shape. It's definitely vintage with real leather that seems barely used, rope is somewhat worn, but not bad. It says "Major something" in small green letters on the bottom, but you can't even notice it. All in all, a good bag...better than I hoped for. The straps and buckles are annoying as heck...I now know what they went with the plastic buckles because these things really are impractical. In any case, for those of you who bought from that seller in Germany on E-bay, have no fear, your bag will arrive.

Derek
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Nice!

I hope the ones I got look that good! If so I'll be ridiculously happy! From the photos on the listing it was really hard to tell what all of them would look like, but it seems there is good hope that they'll be really nice.

Thanks for the photos!
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Beautiful bag indeed - and for that price an absolutely "lucky pull". I wish we were able to find more backpacks for that price. Congratulations!

Anyway, here's the updated list of "interested parties":

01. Indiana Kev
02. Venkman
03. ANZAC_1915
04. gmarthe
05. Arkansas Smith
06. Anderson
07. Indiana Croft
08. Indiana Jake
09. IndyMo
10. OSU1138
11. grizzlelee
12. Texas Raider
13. IndianaSVT
14. gi_canuck
15. BOINKFFD
16. Indiana Citroen
17. franky jones
18. u2_m4r1n3
19. Hunter57
20. HJoe
21. sithspawn
22. midwestwhips
23. Cammer
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Ghost wrote:I don't want to put a damper on this but..I think that is remake new bag in the photo. The leather (if it is leather not vinyl) is much thiner. This was gone over in this post long ago. There are LOTS of the new remakes out there. Check amazon.de etc. Again look for links in earlier posts.

-Ghost
Well Ghost, you were correct. Despite multiple assurances to the contrary by the vendor, there is absolutely NO WAY that this bag he shipped me could possibly be genuine military issue. It would be excellent for onscreen or costume use, but I wouldn't even trust it to carry school books and last a whole semester, let alone issue to a soldier going to war.

It appears to be dimensionally accurate, and visually accurate, however the materials and construction are not high quality.

Sorry for the false alarm guys. :roll: