Official Factory Produced KotCS AdventureBilt Fedora (Henry)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Wonder if that means a couple more days for me. You're in Germany... :-k
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Cole seriously Pics man Pics!!! :whip: :lol:

Cheers
Cole
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cole »

The Avaitor wrote:Cole seriously Pics man Pics!!! :whip: :lol:

Cheers
I will take some natural light pics tomorrow (when I'm not so ashamed for the lousy first time ever bash anymore :[ ) because the flash takes out all details and makes the hat look way to dark. :roll:

Edit:
flashed to death
XLR11
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by XLR11 »

I just spoke to my wife, and a pristine AdventureBilt box has been delivered to my home this morning.

The only problem is that I'm at work all day, and out this evening, so I can't even look at it until tomorrow. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Jobs and social calendars really get in the way sometimes!

I'm in the UK and it's a size 58( for those keen to know where they've started turning up ), so I'll be posting pics tomorrow or Sunday once I've had a chance to admire it and bash it.

Thanks in advance Marc, without even looking at it, I'm 100% sure it was worth the wait.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Great to hear 58's are arriving!!!

Now...how long to Canada....I would think about the same as when US people get theirs...maybe today?

Trouble is I live in a small town near Calgary so I think that will add a day.

Congrats on getting yours!!
Cole
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cole »

OK, here is one picture in natural light. Remember, this is my first hat ever and my first bash. So have mercy with me.

The rest of the pics will be posted in the "Henry display and property discussion page" treat.

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Cole, that is looking NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
You don't need any "mercy" from me (or anyone)... you did a REALLY nice job on GREAT looking hat that looks really natural on you.
Enjoy it and wear it in good health, my friend.
Mitch
cehnot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cehnot »

I will be posting pics this evening. I got a 56, or 7 1/4 inch size.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Isn't 56 a size 7?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

7 1/4 is a 57 for what I know.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I prefer speaking of actual head circumference in cm or inches, as there seems to be a variation from one manufacturer to another regarding what THEY consider a size 7 1/4.

Which is rather strange actually, as it's not THAT hard to do the math.

Let's take a 7 1/4 as and example: that would be a size 7.25, which is multiplied with pi to get the actual circumference: 7.25 x 3.1416 = 22.78" = 57.85cm (multiply inches with 2.54 in order to get cm). So that's a size 58 (minus 1.5mm).

Regards,

Marc
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

If everyone was as logical as you, Marc, the world would be a better place.

Dave
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Indeed. ;-) I was thinking, "Wait a minute: I'm a 7 1/4, and I ordered a 58!" But I know I wasn't off because I checked it with Marc before I ordered. Almost got scared there for a second...
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Sooooo......any idea when the melon heads might get theirs? (7 3/4)
cehnot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cehnot »

sorry about the size. I meant 58. I did my measurements before a haircut and was surprised as to how much extra room it had. I rolled up a paper towel and fit it under the sweat band and it fits perfectly. I will try to get pictures today. My girlfriend left the camera at a friends house.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Woohoo! Big light box in the mail!!

Here is my size 58!! My first bash so any input will be appreciated!! Think it needs to be worked in a bit over time...

Feels great..barely know I'm wearing it and fits great!! THANKS MARC!!

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It looks to me that the front of the center crease is to low. Rule of thumb that i like to go by is 4 3/4 in the front and the back at 4 1/4. thats for the center crease.
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

Not bad for a first bash! :tup: I would suggest making your side dents a little higher and pushing them just a little farther back, especially on the bow side.

Regards,
Brian
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Thanks guys! The front measured 4 1/4 as did the back so I made the front a bit taller (to now 4 3/4) and that heightened the side creases a bit. :)

Thanks guys!
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Any chance I could bother you for another couple of pics to see the altered bash? :)

Cheers
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

The Avaitor wrote:Any chance I could bother you for another couple of pics to see the altered bash? :)

Cheers
NO problem at all...I just touched it up this morning..now I am at work for the next 8 hours. :(

Will get a few pics tonight!
cehnot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cehnot »

I was finally able to get some pictures taken. My girlfriend, the amateur took the shots.

Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Looks really good cehnot, especially the front view!
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

OK here are some pics after I made the changes suggested here. Man I hope I am not ruining my AB!!

Hope this is closer?? Still a little off?

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Hi Marc, any news on the size 60? Your last info said it would be ready for shipping at the end of last week. But sadly, no Henry yet... :( Is there another delay?
MurdocXXL
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MurdocXXL »

Philipp wrote:Hi Marc, any news on the size 60? Your last info said it would be ready for shipping at the end of last week. But sadly, no Henry yet... :( Is there another delay?
Would be, as well, very interested in some informations about the "60s"!
Any problems?

Thanks
MurdocXXL
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

I wear a hat size 61. Are these available yet? Wait time? Since I have such a large skull, have you designed the larger sized hats with slightly larger proportions? Taller crown, wider brim? What is the US dollars cost of the Henry Hat?

Indiana Jake
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I think I must apologise for the delays to you guys here.

I'm trying to sort things out as we speak and hope to receive a reply to the following e-mail I just sent to the manufacturer:
I'm writing to you due to having several complains from my customers about the current wait time on their hats. I fully understand that perfection takes its time, however you indicated to me, that your company is able to produce up to 2000 hats per month. Yet the orders I have sent to you in the meanwhile are up to four months old now. Again: I understand that due to my picky specs. it might take a little longer, however customers are threatining me with canceling their order due to being tired of waiting so long.

Please give me a list of the hats that you've shipped so far and a schedule when the rest is supposed to ship, as I'm afraid that we will lose our customers if the hats don't get to them pretty soon.

Thanks in advance,

Marc Kitter
Please accept my apologies and keep your fingers crossed that I'll get a positive answer, which I'll post here as soon as I get it.

Thanks for being so patient with me. I'm doing my very best to sort things out.

Regards,

Marc
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Thanks Marc.
Completely understandable. Maybe the factory is just working kinks out and sorta breaking themselves in for a new style of hat.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Which would be all fine and acceptable, if communicated towards me from the get go. As of now, I'm the guy taking a beating (and right so, after all this is my responsibilty) for promising delivery times that were given to me earlier and then not kept.

Regards,

Marc
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

This is actually bizarre :-k

I mean, I wonder why a factory should have all these problems and delays. The production has already started, so I suppose that blocks, machines and everything are set. So I really don't have a clue of what is their problem.

Oh well, I just hope it will all be fine. I'm not going to blame you, Marc, nor the factory. I'm just going to pray my hat will arrive in the extimated time :P If not, well...

"Why complaining when you can solve a problem?
Why complaining when you can't?"
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I mean, I wonder why a factory should have all these problems and delays. The production has already started, so I suppose that blocks, machines and everything are set. So I really don't have a clue of what is their problem.
I guess that IS part of the problem. It starts out with the rawbodies, which we get custom made, to ensure that the color is SPOT ON to what we see on screen. With a certain, thickness, density, amount of stiffner... you name it. Yes, we COULD have just taken their brown off the rack 20% beaver fur felt rawbodies, but... well, I guess I have a tendency to go a bit over the edge when it comes to specs. (just ask Peter how thrilled he was to get four pages of specs. on my last jacket order).

Second is the block. Though they had the blocks in stock, they varied ever so slightly from size to size (as they were hand made back then) and I'm not a big fan of variation, when it comes to such things. So I picked the block that I though could have been THE block and told them to replicate it in the other sizes. Now, OF COURSE that block is complicated enough that some parts needs to be worked over by their block maker, who thanks to my pickyness only can make two blocks per week :roll: Of course the same with the brim flanges...

Then of course I wanted them to scale the specs. up and down with in- / decreasing hat sizes, which ended up with a Excel file full of specs. and measurements for the various sizes.

Do I need to tell more?

So, I DO actually understand where the problems origin from (and that this would be me :oops: ). However I do NOT understand, why they didn't tell me that with all these specs., it would take so and so long.

Ah well... live and learn.

Regards,

Marc
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Hey Marc,

Take me off your list of moaners. As you know my delay was Polish driven, yours is down the other end of Europe.

I am sure your right to give them a warning shot. By the same token once they have sorted the teething problems I am sure they will speed up.

Calling all Gearheads. Buy the Henry. It's worth it.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Marc, I have seen pictures of some of the hats people got already and trust me: If I have to wait another 3 months for those hats to arrive that's fine by me. Bottom line is that I want it, and this place has tought me that good things come to those who wait.

Because of all those specs it is more like starting up a factory from scratch than anything else, so I think it isn't too strange that there are some delays: heck, I would even be surprised if there weren't. I do however understand that you, as the person who will be held responsible, have a need to be kept in the loop by the factory. I hope that this will be resolved shortly so you can give answers to customers instead of being forced to remain silent or tell them "I don't know". I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

As to the people who are, like me, still waiting on their hats but are getting impatient: Please guys, don't come down too hard on Marc about this. It's just start-up troubles and will be ironed out. Just have a little more patience and you'll have a realy fine hat to show for it afterwards, not to mention the right to say:"I got on board of this when it started. I had to wait a little, but I was one of the first."

Regards, Geert
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

I'm still wating too, but I'll surely not come down too hard on Marc (if you exclude the regular request for an update now an then) because he just can't be blamed. After all, if not for him, we wouldn't be able to get our hands on such an s.a. hat like the Henry. And your pickiness, Marc, is exactly the thing that defines the Henry, so no fault on your part IMHO. Although I do feel the blame to be on the manufacturer's part. After all, if, as a businessman, I agree on certain terms and deadlines, I have to be able to hold true to my word. And the deadline was actually "end of july"...
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Small update: Marc just mailed me that there will be whole bunch of Henrys shipped 'til (or rather at the) end of november, including size 60...

So, once again: 20 days and counting... :)
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

That's great to know. I hope my 62 will be among those but if not, I'm not going anywhere and I've got time ;-)

Regards, Geert
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Here`s another update: In the German forum the first size 60 Henry appeared yesterday (by mail, of course). ;-)
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Wait a sec --- I'm a 7 3/4.....isn't that a 60? Or is it a 61?
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

7 3/4 is a 62
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Yep....melon head, right here.
thanks for the size info though.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

nicktheguy wrote:Yep....melon head, right here.
thanks for the size info though.
Well, at least you're not the only one ;-)

Regards, Geert
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

The second size 60 popped up in the german forum yesterday. Congrats to MurdockXXL! Can't wait for your pics!
MurdocXXL
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MurdocXXL »

Stay tuned, just bashing the hat, willl take it out for a walk with our dog
and than i will take the pictures! :)

Hope you like the way i am going to bash it (and hope it will come out as
i would like to be).

CU
MurdocXXL
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MurdocXXL »

The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Looks good!

Post by The Librarian »

I'm no SA bash expert but I think it looks good on you.
Is the dog named Indiana?

Marty
MurdocXXL
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Looks good!

Post by MurdocXXL »

The Librarian wrote:I'm no SA bash expert but I think it looks good on you.
Thanks a lot :)
The Librarian wrote: Is the dog named Indiana?
Marty
hehe, would be worth a try but she's named "HAZEL" 8)

CU
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

BendingOak wrote:It looks to me that the front of the center crease is to low. Rule of thumb that i like to go by is 4 3/4 in the front and the back at 4 1/4. thats for the center crease.
Mannnnn, that seems low to me.....Is that the generally accepted thing??

Coz I'm gonna have to go down about 1/4 both front and back
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Look at your pics. Maybe with the henry the measurements may be different but you front of the center dent is lower than the back of the center dent and thats off for sure.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Any updates on the factory getting these hats out?

For those of you who own one currently, is the felt forgiving? In other words, could you bash it real easily and then pop it out and then put another bash in to experiment to see what you like?