Camel Leather

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Camel Leather

Post by Kaplan »

Has anyone ever owned a jacket in camel leather? If not a jacket, then some other item like, say.... luggage?

I'm just curious as to where you would find camel hide on the spectrum of durability.

Oh, and I know someone is going to say it, so I'll beat you to it :
Indy: "I said NO camels, Sallah!!!";-)
Indiana Whit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Whit »

####! beat me to it! :lol:

You know, I've wondered for a long time how tough Elephant leather would be...if you could even get ahold of it of course!

I know! Blue whale leather! That's gotta be thiiiiiick....

:o
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Camel leather is great...but, you are carrying more weight due to the water in the hump :shock: ! Sorry....could not resist! Have a great day! W>
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

WConly wrote:Camel leather is great...but, you are carrying more weight due to the water in the hump :shock: ! Sorry....could not resist! Have a great day! W>
What hump...

Flathead
D
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by D »

Elephant leather is the toughest there is. I have many pairs of boots in all sorts of leather, everything from cow, elk, ostrich, alligator, and elephant. The elephant is by FAR the toughest thing out there. The boots finally went out of style before the leather wore out. They made elephant leather goods in the 80's and then stopped b/c of over hunting and such. But now if you look hard enough you can find it again.

As far as camel, I think it would be somewhere around cow. Just my $.02

D
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Actually camel leather is very prevelant in North Africa. When I was in Tunusia I purchased several items made out of camel (although there were cheaper donkey alternatives). I find the camel quite different than what we might be used to. Its thin but seems to be very tough! I overloaded a camel bag on the way home and it stood up quite nicely. It's a little stiff (almost paper-like) however so I'm not sure if it would drape very well in a jacket.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I enjoy eating camel and have a little camel leather. In my opinion it's like many other leathers - it really depends on how it's prepared. What I have is on the thick side, but very soft and smooth. It's also a nice light yellowish tan color. I have a wooden saddle that would be used to ride camels and the cushion is made of camel leather. If on a jacket it would be a heavy weight.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

My friend has a thingy (not sure what to call it) from Morocco made of camel leather that you unzip and put pillows in it or stuff it with other things and then sit on it. Kind of like a stool/ottoman. Anyway, we have beat on this thing, and it is incredibly durable hide. However, they treated it in camel urine, so make sure you don't go for that option!!!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

maboot38 wrote: However, they treated it in camel urine, so make sure you don't go for that option!!!
Welcome to the world of vintage tanning :lol: That is a very old and tested way of tanning leather, and if this sounds gross, don't look up tanning on wikipedia ;-)

Regards, Geert
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I didn't think a photo of a camel head at a butcher was offensive. After all, our leather does come from animals. :roll: That's the way most of the world see's their meat - on a hook.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Oh I know that is how tanning used to be done. Doesn't bother me at all! I even have some cowhide doublethick handmade moccasins from Maine that were tanned in deer urine. Darn things smell like the insides of a Taunton, but I love 'em anyway.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Oh, and Raider S, don't you know, we crazy western civilizations are special. We don't need to know where our meat comes from. In fact, I think they were changing science classes in Kansas to teach their students that it comes from the meat tree, just so nobody gets upset by the truth.

Kansas is famous for that.
Indiana Whit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Whit »

meat tree... I can't even imagine what that'd look like. Ewwwww!

:shock:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Imagine the most beautiful peach tree you ever saw, but instead of peaches, there are 10 oz filet mignons hanging from it, the branches are strip sirlion, the trunk is prime rib, the roots are flank steak, and the leaves are a delicious ground chuck.

And that's just the beef tree!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

maboot38 wrote:Imagine the most beautiful peach tree you ever saw, but instead of peaches, there are 10 oz filet mignons hanging from it, the branches are strip sirlion, the trunk is prime rib, the roots are flank steak, and the leaves are a delicious ground chuck.

And that's just the beef tree!
Makes me wonder about the turkey tree :roll:

Regards, Geert
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

No need to wonder. Here's a whole hill of them:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. #-o
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

maboot38 wrote:Oh, and Raider S, don't you know, we crazy western civilizations are special. We don't need to know where our meat comes from.
...Or exactly what it is. Mountain Oysters? Sure, just have some. :-k :lol:
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

:rolling:

Even better than I immagined :lol:

Regards, Geert