Tongue on Alden boot going sideways?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Tongue on Alden boot going sideways?

Post by TonyRush »

I've had my Aldens less than a month and am enjoying them. For some reason, though, the tongue of the right boot seems to want to slide to the right instead of staying on top of the foot.

It doesn't cause any discomfort.....but it's bringing out my ultra-tiny OCD to know that, somewhere under my pantleg, my sock is exposed under the laces of my boots. LOL

The left boot is perfect.

What's up with that? :)

Tony
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

alden 405's are notorious for that. many folks tack it to the side of the boot with a couple of stitches.....if it bugs you that much.
schmidty612
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by schmidty612 »

Hey Tony,

It could be a number of things, it may be the way the tongue lays across your instep (the top of your foot) or the tongue could be attached a little askew. You could do 2 things. 1. Take them to a shoe repair and have them attach a tongue stay (the little flap that laces go through on gym shoes) but that wouldn't be SA. 2. You can take them to a shoe repair and have them stich the tongue to one side of the laces. They can do it right in line with the stitching that runs down the boot just outside of the eyelets, and it wouldn't be noticeable at all.

Schmidty
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

They have ALWAYS done that.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I had the tongue of my Aldens stitched by a cobbler. He put a few stitches in (and on top of existing stitches so it wouldn't be noticeable) and I haven't had a problem since.

(I wanted to say: I had myh thung sthiched thoo myh Aldenth and haven'th had a problem thinse.) :wink:
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

mine use to do that but they don't anymore guess I got them trained :lol:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Mine do this too, I put on a glazing layer of Pecards on the tongues and it softened them enough that I thought tying them hard enough would keep them in place. I guess not. It kind of bothers me, but not really so much. Maybe I need to check out an Alden dealer.

IndianaChris
Mossyrock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mossyrock »

Dude.... The boots are fine! It's your foot. But don't worry, it only takes about a year to recover from the surgery.... :shock:
Picker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Picker »

Every ankle length boot I have ever worn has done that. I think my legs are crooked. I think I'll look for a good shoe repair person and give one of schmidty's remedies a try.

Picker
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

My right one does this, but until seeing this thread, I didn't realize it. I guess it doesn't bother me. I'm a lifer from the moment I opened the box.
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Hmm, I don't seem to have this problem at all, could everyone's size be slightly off instead of mine? :P
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

Mine do the same thing. They have been that way a few years. I have thought about having them tacked but have never taken the time. I have worn many other ankle boots and never had that happen. No big deal, but I did not realize it was a trait of the boots. Maybe I'll have them stitched. Thanks for bringing it up, I never gave it too much thought :) .
Ben
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Mine used to be that way - I emailed Alden and asked if they could do it... what did they say? "Send us your shoes, and we'll fix 'em up and send 'em right back!" They did it all for free. They did stitches right on the side of the boot - like Schmidty said - so you couldn't tell, and even used a little glue. After a while, the stitches popped out and the tongue hasn't moved since.

It should be noted however that I also had a few stitches pop out on my Aldens PRIOR to sending them in, and had mentioned that in my email as well. I'm not sure if they did it for free because of the broken stitch, or the stitch I wanted put in. :lol:

Anyway - I've always been SUPER impressed with Alden's customer service. They're fantastic over there!!!

Shane
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

had the same problem with my aldens. Needed to send it to Alden a couple of times before the problem was fixed. I was told it's very common with this particular boot.
Dunross
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

have you seen any shoes that don't do that?
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

have you seen any shoes that don't do that?

Platon, it's only my Alden boots that do that. Never had a similar problem with any other of my shoes. Still it's not a big deal and can be easily addressed by having the tongue attached to the side of the boot. Dunross
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've had two pairs that did, and two pairs that didn't, so I'm 50/50 on that problem....so it's not your foot. It's something about how your particular boots were made. My current pair sit dead center.

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana_Tom
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana_Tom »

JAN also sewed the tongue on his boots, take a look on his website: http://www.indianajones.dk/Webside/Bill ... /Boots.htm
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I think it has more specifically to do with whether the seams at the part where tongue merges into the inner-shoe is ripped or not... When I tried on a new pair, I noticed it started to shift almost right away, and upon closer examination, discovered a tear at the bottom of the tongue. I'm guessing deeper tears mean bigger shifts ;)
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

My pair does that too but just a little. Doesen't bother me though...

There have been a few pairs posted on here that almost the whole tongue is crooked...now that would bug me.
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

I have a single pair and the tounges stay dead center regardless of how I am using them.
Indy_Mic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Mic »

My first pair,11.5Es did that. Then, several years later, I went and had my foot re-measured and ordered a 12B and haven't had a problem since. I chaulked it up to the fact that 11.5E had to be laced to the point where the sides and eyelets met and therefore the laces never contact the tongue. On the 12B, I have an even gap of 1 inch or so between the sides and plenty of contact between the tongue and the laces, which help keep it in place. Maybe coincidence...Maybe not!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

mine do it ALL the time but only on my right foot

NIBS
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Mine do that too but only the right boot. It use to bug me but now Im use to it.
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

ALL the time. I'm constantly pulling them back to center. Why can't they design them so they stay put, like other shoes? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'm now 3 and 2.....3 pairs that didn't, and 2 that did, so I'm pulling ahead to the positive side. \:D/

Regards! Michaelson
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

Mine do that too. Again its only the right boot. Weird how it's always the right boot.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Michaelson wrote:I'm now 3 and 2.....3 pairs that didn't, and 2 that did, so I'm pulling ahead to the positive side. \:D/

Regards! Michaelson
Stay away from the Dark Side, Michaelson!!! :o :lol:

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What dark side. I don't distress my gear! :-k :lol:

You need to remember, I've been involved in this a LONG time and have already been through 3 pairs in the past couple decades. I only have 2 pairs to my name now. One pair on my feet as we 'speak', and a back up pair at home... and at least those two pairs are on the 'plus' side of this question. ;-)

One pair was given to a hat maker who wanders in our midst many years ago....one pair resides on a costumed manikin somewhere on the East Coast, and another pair was traded to a member who I haven't seen around for a LONG time.

So, 5 pairs in 27 years isn't too bad.

Regard! Michaelson :M:
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Yep, got the same problem with mine. It drives me crazy but I have been too lazy to see a cobbler about it....yet :x

-Nebraska
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Check. Another defective right shoe tongue victim.

God, that was a weird sentence. :?
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Happens all the time with mine. It's part of their charm.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

My Todd adventure boots do this as well only it is my left boot that the tongue slides.