Rubbing alchohol and FS Expo question

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Rubbing alchohol and FS Expo question

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

I have already applied one coat of Pecards jell to my jacket which it soaked up overnight. The jacket still has a bit of shine to it. Is it okay to use rubbing alcohol on it at this point to cut down on the shine or just let the shine go away naturally?
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

I don't know if it's safe or not--someone else will know much better than I. It doesn't sound safe at all to me. I wouldn't risk it. But, instead of the gel, I'd use the leather lotion on the jacket. Just passing along the advice our dear Michaelson (the Sage of Pecard's) has given me.
Regards--Maryon
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

The jell idea was actually from Eric at Pecards. He recommended putting on a coat of the jell waiting several months, putting on another coat around december an then not treating it until the fall with the regualr dressing.
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

Rose,

Send a PM to MK. He and _ have Expos and have treated them with RA in the past. Not sure how it turned out as I can't remember.

However, post your findings as if it is a green light...both of us will be doing this.

junior
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

This previous thread tackles a similar topic--

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1378
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by junior »

Thanks Joe.

I remember that one, but, is there a difference in acetone and rubbing alcohol?

Michaelson?

junior
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Big difference. Use alcohol with a rag if you just want to take down the shine.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, MK is the expert on this info, and has experimented with all these items on his own jackets with amazing results. You were asking the wrong fellow when you asked me. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

So rubbing alcohol on a chrome goat expo won't hurt it?
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Hey Michaelson, (this is very off topic, but Michaelson recently posted) Incase you don't know, you're still in the Fedora Lounge Chat ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I can't get back in to log off for some reason, so I'm stuck in a time warp over there. :shock: Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll try and log out in a bit. Regards. Michaelson
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

Appears as if I was mistaken. Sorry for the bad advice. :oops:

I just gave my Flightsuits a coat of Pecard's motorcycle leather lotion last night, and it looks really nice. Not too shiny. (Incidentally, it was my free sample from the QM summit!)
Regards--Maryon
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by junior »

Yes zohar, it seems that if we want to "de-shine" an Expedition, all you have to do is grab a rag and some RA and go to work. But it may be awhile before that RA smell is gone. And vice versa, you know that wonderful leather sent your Expo still puts out? I wonder if that will be gone once we RA the jacket?

MK?

junior
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Can't say on that one. My nose has never worked too well.
Prescott
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prescott »

All those leather aging cocktails no doubt...

-P-
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by junior »

Thanks MK. Well, I just learned that there may be some negative side effects to doing this. So I wanted to ask:

1. What actually happens to the goatskin that makes it appear as a more dull finish when you apply the RA? Is there a layer of something removed from the hide?

2. Does applying the RA to remove the shine hinder the skin in any way as far as making it less waterproof, making it less waterproof?

In other words, are there any side effects to doing this and will the jacket be any different than it was before other than having no shine because the RA removed the thin layer of whatever?

junior
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I know this is nit-picky, but leather is generally not water-proof by nature. The only hide that I thought I read has waterproof tendencies was horsehide, but my horsehides soak through. Coatings, oils and gels can help make leather more water resistant and water repellent. Just remember a waterproof jacket wouldn't be able to absorb any of the protective coverings we apply. My assumption is (and Michaelson can feel free to pipe in whenever her wants :) ) that if you break down any outer coating, you should protect it with a coating of Pecard's to compensate...

Prior to getting my first Indy jacket, I never really treated my leather jackets and they have held up for years. I still have my father's old leather jacket from the 40's or 50's and the steerhide is in perfect condition. It was never treated and always worn - especially in the elements - by both my father and myself after he handed it down. I have only now started treating it since he passed away and I realized how important it will be to keep this jacket in nice shape. What did fail was the lining, zipper and the seams at the armpits. These repairs have all been made. Steerhide is heavy, but kicks ###.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

After a year of owning my Expo in dark brown chrome goat, I finally decided to take some alcohol to it last night. It got rid of the shine really well, and doesn't smell at all. Other than that, it still looks brand new.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I have owned my chrome tanned dark brown FS for almost 3 + years now, and the shine has worn off with regular wear and application of Pecards jell, so it will eventually go away with use. You just have to use the jacket and be patient. Regards. Michaelson