Where Can I Find a SA Raiders Whip in Time for Halloween?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

dirtyindianasolo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Where Can I Find a SA Raiders Whip in Time for Halloween?

Post by dirtyindianasolo »

Hi All,

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations as to where (or if) I could get a good SA Raider's style whip in time for Halloween? I'm really looking for a new, decent whip (not a prop or toy), but it doesn't have to be the best. Most of the decent whips I've found so far are custom built per order and not available "off the shelf". Certainly Australian whips are looking good right now due to the US/AUD situation.

I thought I had found a solution with Todd's Deluxe whip and had ordered one a week ago. It was in stock at the time of my order, but is evidently now backordered for a few weeks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

I have the Todd's standard whip, which I really like for the price. I've done several cracks with it and it holds up pretty good on grass. It's not for serious whip action, but when am I ever going to really need a whip? Whip cracking isn't a hobby for me, so the Todd's standard does the trick for a close enough. If you want a real whip I don't think you'll find an affordable new one in time for Halloween or anytime for that matter. Quality = $$$
dirtyindianasolo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

I spoke with a lady at Todd's today and she said that unfortunately they are completely sold out of ALL their whips, standard and deluxe. Won't have any back in stock for a few weeks.

Any other ideas? :-k

Thanks.
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whipitgood »

Any of the ones you get off of Ebay will mostly be for costume use and not very SA. I had bought one from an Ebay seller 'BORDERLINEDESIGNS' and it was very durable, more so than my Todd's, but not very SA. It was definitely passing to non-gearheads. All my friends thought it was a great whip, but they aren't familiar with the way it's supposed to look. It was 10ft and 12plt for about $100.
SHoWhips
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SHoWhips »

Solo: Check your PM.

Scott
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

We have a couple of Natural Tan Indy whips in stock at the moment, I think one or two 10fts, and some 6ft's as well. They can be shipped out within a day or two, and would definitely be able to reach you by Halloween. Send me an email at whipmaker@midwestwhips.com if you are interested.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

DavidMorgan.com?
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:DavidMorgan.com?
i think he wanted one for THIS halloween...... ordering from DM will get you one just in time for NEXT years halloween :-)
dirtyindianasolo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks for all the great advice. As it turns out, there was some confusion over at Todd's on my order and I actually do have a deluxe whip on the way. So I don't think I'll be needing another whip at the moment.

However, I learned alot about whips from this experience and will definetly keep your suggestions in mind when it's time for me to "upgrade" to another whip.

BTW, ANZAC, I love your avatar. That's one of my favorite South Park episodes. :lol:

Thanks again.
dirtyindianasolo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks for all the great advice. As it turns out, there was some confusion over at Todd's on my order and I actually do have a deluxe whip on the way. So I don't think I'll be needing another whip at the moment.

However, I learned alot about whips from this experience and will definetly keep your suggestions in mind when it's time for me to "upgrade" to another whip.

BTW, ANZAC, I love your avatar. That's one of my favorite South Park episodes. :lol:

Thanks again.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Shagbd wrote:
ANZAC_1915 wrote:DavidMorgan.com?
i think he wanted one for THIS halloween...... ordering from DM will get you one just in time for NEXT years halloween :-)
Uh, they typically have them on the shelf. When I bought mine I just walked in and got it. Not the cheapest option for sure. :)

Dirtyindianasolo: thanks for the callout --- I just couldn't stop chuckling about Free Hat. Raiders is like Casablanca, should not be altered.
Lion Tamer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lion Tamer »

When I visited David Morgan's shop in August the delivery time for a new Indy whip was late January 2009. I would definitely give them a call to confirm, though.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Lion Tamer wrote:When I visited David Morgan's shop in August the delivery time for a new Indy whip was late January 2009. I would definitely give them a call to confirm, though.
I guess maybe due to the new film they got backed up. I haven't been there in a couple of months and I didn't ask about new whips that time either.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Wow Todd's prop whip looks freaking awesome

Would it hold up if I cracked it every once in a while?
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whipitgood »

blueoakleyz wrote:Wow Todd's prop whip looks freaking awesome

I crack my Todd's standard a couple times a day to prepare for Halloween. It's held up so far without any damage. I'd just be careful where you crack it. I practice on grass.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

whipitgood wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:Wow Todd's prop whip looks freaking awesome

I crack my Todd's standard a couple times a day to prepare for Halloween. It's held up so far without any damage. I'd just be careful where you crack it. I practice on grass.
I think if I ever got into cracking I'd buy a more professional whip and not necessarily like Indy's so this would be good if I could just crack it once in a while.

Does it really look that good/SA in person>?
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whipitgood »

blueoakleyz wrote: Does it really look that good/SA in person>?
It looks great aside from the marshmallow on the handle. It's a little on the orange side, but you can add some tinted Pecard's to it and it distresses nicely.