Ford on Indy's hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Believe

Post by Tron7960 »

lpa53 wrote:
Tron7960 wrote:If you want to "believe" that the hat is a thinking entity capable of coming back to it's "master", go right ahead. You're bringing some perspective to the Indy movies that I'm not on board with.

I'm just saying that I view them as different hats throughout the the series, and that until I hear different from Lucas, I will continue to see it that way. Room there for many views and theories Ipa53.
Sorry Tron, I was intending the post as humor, which is what Speilberg had when he "tossed the hat into the ring" at the edge of the cliff in LC.

That, and a sense of magic.

Guess I won't try that again ...
Hey, it's all good, especially humor. And hopefully, we all continue to bring our own personal view to the many mysteries we find in the Indyverse!
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Hmmm...I always thought it was meant to be the same hat throughout each film, but not necessarily the same hat throughout all of the films. Likewise with the jackets, shirts, gunbelts, whips, etc.. As often happens in the real world, I just assumed these items would eventually wear out and Indy would replace them with identical items. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Believe

Post by Michaelson »

lpa53 wrote:And don't we all look different as we age and learn?
Of course not! :?

Personally I haven't changed one bit since high school. Oh, I may be about 80 pounds heavier, have a few more grey hairs, and maybe a bit less hair than back then, and a handlebar moustache, and blood shot eyeballs....... :-k

Otherwise, EXACTLY the same as back then........oh, and fewer brain cells....but the same....I think.... :[

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

So THAT'S what I have to look forward to?! :-k \:D/ :lol: ;-)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Why should we fight it then, bink?
Let's all start growing our handlebar moustaches nnnnnnnow!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M:

Regards! Michaelson
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

here's my 2 cents

yeah, it's a little bit difficult to believe IJ never lost his hat. just like it's difficult to believe that it is possible for the hat not to fall from indy's head when he is hit by a shovel. just like MANY things in the movies are difficult to believe (aliens, 700 yrs old crusaders, do you get the point?).

but let's ask ourselves: why would indy risk an arm to recover his hat in ToD, if it was ''just a hat''?

many people state that the hat is different in every movie. well, guys, you well know it is different even in many scenes of a single episode. so what? did Indy change his hat before the idol grab??

you wanna know why the hat looks different? because the film makers didn't pay attention to these details, and that's all.

maybe he reshaped it, reblocked it, yeah. but the hat is THAT hat, period. does it look every time different? blame the costumers, it is different materially speaking, but it isn't supposed to be. KotSC fedora is rabbit felt, in the reality of the movie ;-)
Indiana Gregory
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Gregory »

I see your two cents: (I agree Restless Dreamer)

IMO, I believe that the hat IJ (not HF, but the character, IJ) wears in each movie/story is the same. (We all know that the actual hat filmed is different.)

Why?

Because when Lucas and Spielberg set out to produce these movies, they were trying to create a nostalgic "cliffhanger" movie as of those in years gone by. Therefore, one should not expect that everything in the movie make logical sense, e.g, the submarine ride in Raiders. In IJ's world it does not seem possible for IJ to lose his hat, e.g., in LC after the tank tumbles over the hill and IJ miraculously survives, his hat inexplicably is return to him by "the wind".

The storytellers have "stacked the deck" in IJ's favor, but not so much so that he doesn't get bruised and battered about, as does his hat. Yet the hero and his singularly iconic fedora survive each harrowing experience only to face further death-defying peril on each ensuing adventure. The hat and IJ himself are virtually synonymous; therefore, neither perish.
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

We need to find out who Indy used to clean and re-block his hats after each adventure. If it's supposed to be the same hat, after all that dirt and water in the Crystal Skull, for example, when he gets married at the end, the hat looks brand-new.

And the crown was re-blocked higher between Temple of Doom and Raiders.

I guess he didn't care what happened to his hat, if afterward he knew it would come out looking good-as-new because of his hatter.
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

If the hat Fedora gave him is indeed the same hat, then we already know that Indy was not beyond making modifications to his hat, as the ribbon among other things were different then.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Marcus Brody wrote:If the hat Fedora gave him is indeed the same hat, then we already know that Indy was not beyond making modifications to his hat, as the ribbon among other things were different then.

But he did end up going to AB line to get his hat looking good again. ;-)
MightyMegs
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MightyMegs »

But... is it the same hat that was given to young Indy at the begining of Last Crusade? Hmmmmm.... that would be something!
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I'm pretty sure the guy in the beginning of Last Crusade is indeed Fedora aka Steve Delk in disguise who built a time a machine to give Indy an Adventurebilt. Thus, this is why Indy has an Adventurebilt in KotCS.
Last edited by Marcus Brody on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

:shock: THAT. MAKES. SENSE! :shock: -M
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

BTW...I'm sure the whip isn't the same. We can see Belloq taking Indy's gun and whip after the idol grab. Then, later in the movie, Indy picks up another whip from his closet. So we can state that he owns multiple whips.

AND the bag. I really wonder how he managed to buy military bags in those times (they were not collectors' pieces and were given to soldiers only, without saying that the MKVII didn't exist then). We can see his bag being burned by the Shankara Stone in ToD, then he has it in Raiders, then he leaves it in the Grail Chamber, then he has it again in KotCS :shock: Definitely it ISN'T the same bag :P
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Well keep in mind that Indy served in WWI, so that would explain how he got the bag in the first place...how he replaced it after the sankara stones nearly incinerated it, I don't know. -M
Venkman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Venkman »

Well, I think we can assume that the hat he wears at Area 51 in KOTCS was incinerated along with the rest of his clothing....though I haven't read the novelization, if that gave any details on it.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Ford on Indy's hat

Post by Mark Brody »

This is the part that I find interesting about the quote.
he does wear that hat occasionally outside his archeological expeditions. He's wearing that hat at his wedding, though maybe you could call that another adventure.
So if he was indeed wearing his adventure hat to his wedding, isn't it also fair to assume that his Venice Pier hat was his adventure hat? After all, that one was undeniable brown (unlike his undeniably grey clipper/travel hat from Raiders). :?