Great stuff man

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Great stuff man

Post by PLATON »

Sometimes you can get amazing stuff on ebay.
Check this out

and the best of all

really like the colors

*joking*
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

A "western" gun in blue and red... looks perfect!!!! :lol:
I don't know if I have seen worse but thanks for posting these pics. I see this cra... stuff everywhere now

The funniest thing is the price that these toys have sometimes.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

For a kid, though, it's perfect. They don't care if the gun is red and blue, or even if it's moulded from a western six-shooter. They'll have just as much fun playing Indy with it (if not more) than us grown up fans being nit-picky with our expensive gear. Kids have the imagination that so many adults seem to lose down the line.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The red and blue I don't mind for safety sake, the cheapness of using an old western gun tooling is bad in my opinion. And yes I know the excuse is that you can't paint the gun and scare people.

But what actually happened was someone said, "use old tooling to save money, no one will know". :(
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

binkmeisterRick wrote:For a kid, though, it's perfect. They don't care if the gun is red and blue, or even if it's moulded from a western six-shooter. They'll have just as much fun playing Indy with it (if not more) than us grown up fans being nit-picky with our expensive gear. Kids have the imagination that so many adults seem to lose down the line.
Exactly. I see kids in the park with a cardboard cowboy hat, a bit of old rope and a bent stick and to them it's Indy's Hat and Indy's Whip and Indy's Gun. it's just us nerds... erm... I mean 'serious affictionados of adventure genre cinematic collectables' that obsess about the details instead of enjoying the thrill of adventure.
I wonder, how many gearheads have all the Indy stuff but never stray outside suburbia in it, in case it gets scuffed? :roll:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Or artificially distress their gear, only to cry when it gets a nick or tear from honest use. :roll: ;-)

We have to keep in mind, this is a toy. It's meant for children. It looks as realistic as the Indy whip with sound effects, but that doesn't stop kids from playing with it for hours on end. Hey, at least they went pretty close in getting the belt and holster right, for all intents and purposes.

Kt, since you work in this kind of industry, is it cost effective to tool up a new gun for a toy that might not sell well enough to offset the costs? Knowing that Indy toys in the past haven't faired so well in the long run, you think LFL would prefer to save money by cutting corners as such? It makes sense to me, but I don't manufacture toys, I just play with them. ;-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

binkmeisterRick wrote:For a kid, though, it's perfect. They don't care if the gun is red and blue, or even if it's moulded from a western six-shooter. They'll have just as much fun playing Indy with it (if not more) than us grown up fans being nit-picky with our expensive gear. Kids have the imagination that so many adults seem to lose down the line.
Those kind of kids won't end up here Bink :lol: . I wouldn't have picked that thing even when I was a kid :lol: I've always been VERY picky (hence my presence here lol)
Even I had a hat that looked nothing like Indy but I was well aware of it :P
KingNothing
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingNothing »

Finally an Oilers gun! :P
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Kt, since you work in this kind of industry, is it cost effective to tool up a new gun for a toy that might not sell well enough to offset the costs? Knowing that Indy toys in the past haven't faired so well in the long run, you think LFL would prefer to save money by cutting corners as such? It makes sense to me, but I don't manufacture toys, I just play with them. ;-)
The Lucas licensing exec 'may' have been persuaded that it wasn't worth the cost of the tooling (which is substantial - tens of thousands of dollars) to the costume company and let it slide. They probably did the same with Hasbro and the Akator set, that is mostly a reuse of a ROTS playset.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks, Kt. That's along the lines I was thinking. Again, for normal kids, this one should work just fine... :lol: ;-)
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Even I had a hat that looked nothing like Indy but I was well aware of it
Heck, up until a year ago I still wore my inaccurate hat. But the gun... those colors would annoy me. But then I grew up in an era that allowed black plastic Star Wars guns. :)

Russ
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Its funny you say this. The first thing I thought when I saw the colored gun was 'man,I'm glad I'm not a kid these days!' I don't know 'bout you, but when I was a kid, I could tell the difference between a goofy lookin' red/blue/green/whatever colored toy gun and one that looks more realistic. I always went with more realistic..

TR
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Texas Raider wrote:
Its funny you say this. The first thing I thought when I saw the colored gun was 'man,I'm glad I'm not a kid these days!' I don't know 'bout you, but when I was a kid, I could tell the difference between a goofy lookin' red/blue/green/whatever colored toy gun and one that looks more realistic. I always went with more realistic..

TR
They don’t color them that way for the kids; they do that for the soccer moms (because a red and blue pistol is less violent than a black one). :roll:
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Those kind of kids won't end up here Bink . I wouldn't have picked that thing even when I was a kid I've always been VERY picky (hence my presence here lol)
Even I had a hat that looked nothing like Indy but I was well aware of it
Same here. It always bothered me as a kid that the top bash of my cheap hat was rounded (tear drop) and not straight like Indy's. I even remember as a 5 yr. old, trying to make it straight, but the wool felt apparently didn't feel like cooperating. :lol:
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

I'd almost forgotten about the good ol' days of metal cap guns and black star wars
blasters - got my toy six-shooters taken away from me after I bonked my older
brother on the head ( those things were pretty heavy ). Strange how real firearms
are mimicking toy guns at times with some of the craziest color-schemes I've ever
seen - lime green and hot-pink rifles for instance ( including all of the metal parts ).
Those things could be mistaken for toys because they just look so fake! That said, I
never cared for the neon-colored toy guns ( unless they were water pistols ) when
I was a kid - I miss the cap guns, though ( does anyone even make those anymore? ). Image
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

For some reason I thought of BttF 3 when I saw that toy gun. It made me think of Martys awesome 50s western outfit :lol:
SonofJoker
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SonofJoker »

I remember as a kid, if you wanted a pair of western six shooters, then that's what you got. Real metal and wood. Now it's a little bit of metal or none at all. Just plastic. :roll: I miss the good ol'days. And all this bright color schemes have backfired since some people are painting their real guns these colors or painting the orange tip on them to sneak them past security. :x
John Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by John Falcon »

As a kid in his single digit years, I recall being annoyed that my Hot Wheels all had to have flames or an oversized logo on them...

....or that my toy airplanes had oversized wheels that retract.

So my point is some kids care about the details and that gun is pretty bad.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Even that junk could be collectible in forty years, but it's so junky that it'll most likely deteriorate before then.
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

My girlfriend's nephew surprised me when we took him to Knott's Berry Farm. He wanted some cheap neon orange pop gun just because it was a gun. Back in my day I would have been embarassed holding that thing. Different times, different standards I guess.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

LOL that is so pitiful it's funny :lol: :lol:

NIBS
Indy1024
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1024 »

Even a few years ago (maybe 5 or so, maybe more or less) I remember going to Knott's Berry Farm one time and getting one of those metal cap guns with the holster and such. The next time I went, I was disgusted at the neon orange and green guns. I understand that its for safety reasons, and such, but it just upset me badly. When I was in elementary school, I remember going to school everyday in my cowboy getup (not a gun of course) but the boots and jeans and shirt... I probably played cowboys every single day! anyway! about the cap guns... I know you can get metal and plastic ones from this place and if you tell them youre getting it for performance purposes, they wont make it orange. or at least thats what they used to do. hmmm...check it out!

http://www.shoptheplace.com
well, theres my story of cap guns and such
Indy1024

;-)