Official Factory Produced KotCS AdventureBilt Fedora (Henry)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

C'mon guys!

Post by jasonalun »

More pics! More angles! Please!! I'm still waiting on my Henry, which will be my first "real" Indy hat (my old Stetson Temple no longer counts :-0 ), and I need pics to sustain me here while I try to have patience! Have mercy! :(

Can we get a back view, mufflowne? I love your bash - that pic of the Henry sitting on your balcony railing is just phenomenal! Gorgeous!
Last edited by jasonalun on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

What tut for bashing are ppl using? The one for the Raiders bash?

Marc..any idea when the 58's will ship? This thread is torture!!
Cole
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cole »

hankey01 wrote: Marc..any idea when the 58's will ship? This thread is torture!!
Marc is on vacation till the 9th. Guess we just have to be patient (I also ordered a 58). :cry:
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Few more pics to wet your whistles. Surprised there's so few Henry pics, up on site.
So I made it a little more Raidersish, but I don't think I'll go for the sharp crease - ever. I like this bash.

The Henry is really a gorgeous hat. Just the hat I've always wanted - and to think that this could be the very same block used in Raiders --
---only makes sense. It really gives off that vibe. Even the felt moves the way I'd expect a non-distressed Raiders hat to move.

Does anyone know - how similar is this block to Marc's?

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Thank you, mufflowne!! \:D/ Yummy, yummy - that is one fantastic hat!
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

jasonalun wrote:Thank you, mufflowne!! \:D/ Yummy, yummy - that is one fantastic hat!
No problem, sir. And remember, once you Adventurebilt, you never go back. Haha.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Wow, these hats are good. It looks like Dutch's Henry has the ability to hover in mid air! :shock: :lol:
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

That's because it's the Flying Saucer bash from CS :P
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Why no pics of the hat on somebody? That's what I prefer to see.
Dutch Jones, I really like that bash!

There's nothing on the liner? The reason was copyright? correct?

Anybody own a regular AB or deluxe for comparsion?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

WhipDude wrote:There's nothing on the liner? The reason was copyright? correct?
The white liner without a logo was because they wanted the hat to be a replica of the hat they made for CS: the linings on those were plain white, untill Berny treated them with a spray-on hair dye.

Regards, Geert
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Pitfall Harry wrote:Wow, these hats are good. It looks like Dutch's Henry has the ability to hover in mid air! :shock: :lol:
correct me if i'm wrong.....i don't think that is a henry...and i don't think that is dutch under that.......
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Oh, well.....I just assumed that was a Henry and it was Dutch's hat. I guess because he posted the shot and this thread is dedicated to the Henry. :? :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Indiana G wrote:
Pitfall Harry wrote:Wow, these hats are good. It looks like Dutch's Henry has the ability to hover in mid air! :shock: :lol:
correct me if i'm wrong.....i don't think that is a henry...and i don't think that is dutch under that.......
I am not correcting you
Ken Benoki
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ken Benoki »

#### it! Now I'll have to read all 19 pages of this thread... I've got work to do! :x

:P

It looks great!
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

What's the price on this?

I think I will buy a Fed IV right now and if I bought another in the future it would have to be completely screen accurate so I might still order the handmade one or that other one I can't remember the name of.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

the price is 160 Euro for COW members.

Regards, Geert
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Nevermind just found the price.
Probably around $230-250.

I think for now an Akubra will do just fine for an everyday Indy hat
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Marc, you have to get these in more colors. I'm just not in the market for another brown fedora. But a Henry in grey, or black! Now that is something I would eat right up. I'm sure others here would too. Just think about it. :)

Dave
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

So...any new Henrys lately? This wait is killing me! It's starting to feel like waiting for a handmade and not a factory hat at the rate they seem to be going out :-k

Do they plan on having a spike in production anytime soon? Once this backlog gets taken care of, what's going to be the average turn around time?

So many questions, so few Henrys... :? :lol:

Regards,
Brian
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

*Bump*

Did anyone get their size 57 or 59 yet? Also, any news on when other sizes will be shipped?

Regards, Geert
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

does anybody own a Henry AND an AB or ABD?

I ask this because I'd like to read a compared review between the factory made hat and the genuine one
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

gwyddion wrote:*Bump*

Did anyone get their size 57 or 59 yet? Also, any news on when other sizes will be shipped?

Regards, Geert
I have a 57.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Indiana Strones wrote:
gwyddion wrote:*Bump*

Regards, Geert
I have a 57.
Yes, but I mean from the second shipment

Regards, Geert
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Im dying for the 58s to ship!!!
Cole
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cole »

hankey01 wrote:Im dying for the 58s to ship!!!
dito :|
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

i have to admit i thought the shipments of the henrys would be quicker than this...unless people just havent posted pictures of them yet :lol:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Seems like us who have big noggins will be the last to get em....waiting for the size 7 3/4 to ship....hopefully by Christmas :shock:
XLR11
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by XLR11 »

I'm waiting for my size 58 too but as the saying goes, "all good things come to those who wait"

I know it'll be worth every last penny and every day that goes by!
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Dear all,

I must apologise for the delay that has occured due to several (picky) factors. It has been difficult to not only replicate the same amount of front taper as on the original block but also to engineer that a smaller / bigger hat would "behave" exactly as one in Ford's size.

Since we've tortured you with such long waiting times already and with expectations being high, high, high - both from your side but also from Steve and my side - we didn't want to go the quick route here, but instead we wanted to make it certain that each size would be as good any anyhow humanly possible. I hope, that with this said, once you receive your hats, you'll agree that it was worth to wait just a little longer then originally planned.

Here's the e-mail that I just received from our hatter:
Hi Marc,

like I told you we had some problems with the block but now all is O.K. We have ready sizes 56 and 58 and will send the hats on friday/monday at latest.
55 and 60 for the end of the next week.

Sorry for the delay.
Regards,

Marc
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Now that kind of atention to detail I like :)

I hope there won't be another snag when they get to size 62 though ;-)

Regards, Geert
Numeron
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Numeron »

That are good news! (Well, for me, I'm a 58 :lol: )

As long as we are kept informed, everything is alright! :)
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Thanks for the update Marc!
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

so the Henry has got front taper? didn't know about it :-k

are the other ABs also tapered on the front? I'm not an expert, and I was wondering if the Henry will be any different from the handmade version except from the materials.

BTW I approve this great attention for details. better wait a little longer and be sure of having a nice made product than take the quick route and risking to made non-perfect hats
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Restless Dreamer wrote:so the Henry has got front taper? didn't know about it :-k

are the other ABs also tapered on the front? I'm not an expert, and I was wondering if the Henry will be any different from the handmade version except from the materials.

BTW I approve this great attention for details. better wait a little longer and be sure of having a nice made product than take the quick route and risking to made non-perfect hats
yes, when viewed from the side (profile), i can see that she's got a taper there. imo, the raiders hat had a straight front up and down ($3K, you got my six on this? ;-) ). correct me if i am wrong, but AB's current block has a slight taper on the front (and back as well) but serves only to "straighten" out the profile once you push the domey top in (centre crease). my block and $3K's block are straight with not much dome which is how we can get the reverse taper in.....unfortunately, it makes for a shallow centre crease....something that i will openly admit that my block is lacking in. my hat does look quite nice on a really tall guy though :lol:

back to the henry. from the bashes i've seen, there seems to be a little too much taper in the block. you may be able to combat the front and back taper with a deep centre crease, but you may be sacrificing the stovepipe sides. just a speculative opinion as i've not handled the henry........i wish i could.....you lucky buggers!!!!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana G wrote:
Restless Dreamer wrote:so the Henry has got front taper? didn't know about it :-k

yes, when viewed from the side (profile), i can see that she's got a taper there. imo, the raiders hat had a straight front up and down ($3K, you got my six on this? ;-) ). correct me if i am wrong, but AB's current block has a slight taper on the front (and back as well) but serves only to "straighten" out the profile once you push the domey top in (centre crease). my block and $3K's block are straight with not much dome which is how we can get the reverse taper in.....unfortunately, it makes for a shallow centre crease....something that i will openly admit that my block is lacking in. my hat does look quite nice on a really tall guy though :lol:

back to the henry. from the bashes i've seen, there seems to be a little too much taper in the block. you may be able to combat the front and back taper with a deep centre crease, but you may be sacrificing the stovepipe sides. just a speculative opinion as i've not handled the henry........i wish i could.....you lucky buggers!!!!

I think the slight tapper in front and back is need for a Raiders hat. If you are unable to get a good center crease your hat isn't correct or SA.

the reverse tapper that everyone wants is not in the Raiders hat 360. I think people have built up in their minds something thats not there. I think we all have taken different pics and put them together to make up something thats not real. If we could go back into time and jump in the film and walk around the hat as Ford is wearing it you would be shocked on what it looks like.

I think what I seen so far on "the Henry"it has a good block shape to go with the blend of felt to have a very good Raiders hat. I will have to order one just to give my review of it.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

If we could go back into time and jump in the film and walk around the hat as Ford is wearing it you would be shocked on what it looks like.
probably very true oak :)

we all have our takes on what the raiders hat should look like. steve also mentioned that the hat has been "characterized" over time. for me, i think the camel humps are too robust in the AB....imo, the current centre crease on an AB will produce camel humps that would be predominant if you sat on the hat, but should be less noticeable if it were new. i beleive this has to do with how 'domey' the block is.

as far as the front taper, i think there is too much.....at least as far as how a rabbit AB plays out. i can't get my AB to produce this look from this angle:

but then again, my head size is smaller than fords and i'm not a long oval. lots of factors to contend with. i think my block "will hunt" with the shallow center crease......but it could stand to be deeper by about 1/4". all of my findings have been based on beaver felt thus far. i have a rabbit cook'n in the pot so as soon as i get my sweats and ribbon in, i'll see if i can crease it a little better.

i guess we all have our ideas of what the raiders hat should look like on our noggin.......that's why its nice to see people wearing different hats. case in point......inexpensive jones can make an awesome LC hat out of his stetson temple........i can't even get mine up to looking like a DP......go figure???? :)
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I agree, I also think people are idealizing the fedora. It has to be considered also that even if you find the ultimate shape, your hat is not made of stone: it will morph, change shape, and will look different every time you look at it from a different angle.

the search for perfection could become for many of Indy fans a real obsession. and, as somebody said -dont' remember who- in the end it will be the hat to own you, not you to own the hat.

relax. your hat is the way it is. you can make modifications to improve its look, but you gotta know when to stop and be pleased for what you've got.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand as usual ended up giong OT. somebody please stop me, when I start making philosophical digressions :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Restless Dreamer wrote:I agree, I also think people are idealizing the fedora. It has to be considered also that even if you find the ultimate shape, your hat is not made of stone: it will morph, change shape, and will look different every time you look at it from a different angle.

the search for perfection could become for many of Indy fans a real obsession. and, as somebody said -dont' remember who- in the end it will be the hat to own you, not you to own the hat.

relax. your hat is the way it is. you can make modifications to improve its look, but you gotta know when to stop and be pleased for what you've got.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand as usual ended up giong OT. somebody please stop me, when I start making philosophical digressions :lol:
we can segway this back ON TOPIC......henry owners, with that butter soft felt that you all are describing.......how well do you think she'll keep the bash? do you think she will "morph" into a "well loved" looking hat?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Every soft felted hat I've ever owned, specifically vintage felts, have all 'morphed' in the way you describe, G. ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

The same goes for me...its the beaver hats i own that have imo taken longer to get that "well loved" indy look
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I ask again: anybody owns a standard or deluxe AB AND a Henry? it would be useful for everyone to read a compared review of the two products. What is a Henry buyer missing by not buying the handmade version?

(BTW, why do you refer to a hat as ''she''? shouldn't you use ''it''? sorry for the dummy question, but I like tring to improve my english every time I can :P )
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Restless Dreamer wrote:I ask again: anybody owns a standard or deluxe AB AND a Henry? it would be useful for everyone to read a compared review of the two products. What is a Henry buyer missing by not buying the handmade version?

(BTW, why do you refer to a hat as ''she''? shouldn't you use ''it''? sorry for the dummy question, but I like tring to improve my english every time I can :P )
I asked Marc for some comparison pics, but no answer. :-k
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Strones wrote:
Restless Dreamer wrote:I ask again: anybody owns a standard or deluxe AB AND a Henry? it would be useful for everyone to read a compared review of the two products. What is a Henry buyer missing by not buying the handmade version?

I asked Marc for some comparison pics, but no answer. :-k

When I get my Henry. I will post a review and pics of it with one of my Ab and ABD.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Thanks! :)
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Anyone get their size 58 yet?
Cole
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cole »

Marc wrote:
Here's the e-mail that I just received from our hatter:
Hi Marc,

like I told you we had some problems with the block but now all is O.K. We have ready sizes 56 and 58 and will send the hats on friday/monday at latest.
55 and 60 for the end of the next week.

Sorry for the delay.
Regards,

Marc
They are shipped today or on monday, so you need a little more patience. :)
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

I thought that meant last Friday or monday...but yes..must be today or monday.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Anyone get a 58 yet?

Anxious!!
Cole
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cole »

Just got my parcel from the postoffice. :)