US Wings Kids Indy

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

US Wings Kids Indy

Post by bobjones »

Has anyone else ordered one? I wanted to see how other's orders have gone, as I have had some issues with mine...
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I ordered the size small and recieved a comfirmation email on 7/7/08 at approx 12:30 pm EST. I sent a follow up email on 8/11/08 requesting an update and recieved the following response:

The kids Indy Jackets are held up in customs, and are supposed to be released to us this week. We are expecting to start shipping them by the end of the week.

Thank You

US Wings, Inc

Customer Service

Just out of curiosity what issues have you had? I have been patient with this order as it was stated on the website they wouldn't ship until the end of July.

I sent the e-mail asking for an update because I noticed they added the size small was sold out and they would not ship until the end of Sept. and wanted to make sure my order was placed before this new ship date. I feel the explanation provided to me is reasonable and may ask for another update at the end of the week.

Regards,

Scott
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I would call, Sarge and his crew are very nice and I'd bet they would be more than helpful with any questions or concerns you might have.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Been told the same thing for a few week now. Sarge is always up front and so I will take them at their word. My kid is about to go bonkers with anticipation. He has been waiting since the end of June whe they were first expected. Poor kid......he has a long road ahead of him (a future COW member)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Held up in customs
Does that mean they are outsourced? Odd, I thought Wings stopped selling foreign jackets?
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Kt Templar wrote:
Held up in customs
Does that mean they are outsourced? Odd, I thought Wings stopped selling foreign jackets?
AFAIK, only the kids indy is being outsourced. It was done to keep the price at around $150; if it was made domestically it would have pushed the price to $200, and at that level there was little or no public interest.

This is one of those very, very rare instances where I can accept having to buy overseas for this type of jacket. Realistically speaking, a 9 year old is only going to get maybe 2 years of wear, so to spend even the $150 had my wife questioning the purchase - BUT - the look on his face when he gets it will be absolutely worth it... :)
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

bobjones wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:
Held up in customs
AFAIK, only the kids indy is being outsourced. It was done to keep the price at around $150; if it was made domestically it would have pushed the price to $200, and at that level there was little or no public interest.

This is one of those very, very rare instances where I can accept having to buy overseas for this type of jacket. Realistically speaking, a 9 year old is only going to get maybe 2 years of wear, so to spend even the $150 had my wife questioning the purchase - BUT - the look on his face when he gets it will be absolutely worth it... :)
Agreed!
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

My son doesn't know he is getting the jacket. This will be a birthday present for him, I hope. I am working on getting him a nylon whip made and finding a close enough Indy style shirt as well for his b-day.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

scot2525 wrote:My son doesn't know he is getting the jacket. This will be a birthday present for him, I hope. I am working on getting him a nylon whip made and finding a close enough Indy style shirt as well for his b-day.
Just and idea, if you live in a more rural area and have access to a local farmer's co-op, you can get your son an inexpensive horse whip. Some of them look identical to Indy's and they're ususally smaller and under $50. I got my son his for $25 and it has a real nice crack to it. :D
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I placed a call to US Wings just moments ago and they stated my order for the size small Indy kids jacket shipped today. Thought I would pass the information along.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just heard, all the current orders have been shipped.

The jacket is based on the original Temple of Doom jacket without side pocket. The leather is shaved antique cowhide, making it butter soft, two inside pockets, and slate gray ripstop liner.

Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I just recieved a call from Stephanie at US wings informing me these jackets came in smaller than they anticipated. She wanted to know if I wanted to move to the next size, which I declined.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Anyone's arrive as of yet? Mine is supposed to come in anyday.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

bobjones wrote:Anyone's arrive as of yet? Mine is supposed to come in anyday.
You really are anxious to recieve this jacket bobjones. If the initial orders just shipped yesterday unless you are just a stones throw from US Wings in Ohio, I can't imagine anyone would have recieved it by know. I live a couple hours drive away so would expect mine by Friday. With you being 12 parsecs from Altair 6 theres no telling how long it would take. :wink:
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

scot2525 wrote:
bobjones wrote:Anyone's arrive as of yet? Mine is supposed to come in anyday.
You really are anxious to recieve this jacket bobjones. If the initial orders just shipped yesterday unless you are just a stones throw from US Wings in Ohio, I can't imagine anyone would have recieved it by know. I live a couple hours drive away so would expect mine by Friday. With you being 12 parsecs from Altair 6 theres no telling how long it would take. :wink:
Not as anxious as the little one its intended for...;)

I thought some may have gone out overnight...I am also curious to see how they look, etc.
Last edited by bobjones on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

The jacket did not arrive today and I must say I am slightly disapointed myself. :? I just visited their website and found that they email tracking information once an item ships if you provide your email address with the order. I did provide this information and have yet recieved any tracking information. I now am wondering if my son's jacket has shipped yet as I haven't recieved tracking information and US Wings is only a five hour drive from my shipping address. I primarily use UPS as my shipping comapany for packages sold on ebay and they have never taken more than two days to deliver a package to any of the states that border Indiana.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

scot2525 wrote:The jacket did not arrive today and I must say I am slightly disapointed myself. :? I just visited their website and found that they email tracking information once an item ships if you provide your email address with the order. I did provide this information and have yet recieved any tracking information. I now am wondering if my son's jacket has shipped yet as I haven't recieved tracking information and US Wings is only a five hour drive from my shipping address. I primarily use UPS as my shipping comapany for packages sold on ebay and they have never taken more than two days to deliver a package to any of the states that border Indiana.
Mine shipped today. I received a call yesterday wanting to confirm that I was ordering larger than my son's measurements! Nice to know they are paying attention and care! Great folks there at Wings.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Just received the US Wings Indy Jr.

Sgt Hack........ one word......AWESOME!!!! Will post pics later.

Thanks for the Complimentary Fedora too!
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Cowboy wrote:Just received the US Wings Indy Jr.

Any pictures yet Cowboy?

I am still waiting on my son's jacket to arrive. My wife called on Mon., because she said I was being to nice about the situation, and was told that our size small is next in line to ship. As of right now they are out of the small and we cannot get the jaket until one is returned or their shipment arrives on the 25th of this month.

She asked for an explanation as to why they called 8/26 to say the jackets came in smaller than they expected and if we wanted to move up a size. I took this as meaning the jackets were "physically" smaller in size than anticipated but the rep meant that they got "less" smalls than anticipated. If this doesn't arrive in the next few weeks I am going to have to scramble for a birthday present or have a disapointed 5 year old on my hands.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

No pics yet. I did not have time like I had hoped and I am out of town right now until the end of the week. I can see how it was confusing regarding size vs stock on hand. It is worth every penny to say the least. It will be worth the wait. Cheers
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

scot2525 wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Just received the US Wings Indy Jr.

Any pictures yet Cowboy?

I am still waiting on my son's jacket to arrive. My wife called on Mon., because she said I was being to nice about the situation, and was told that our size small is next in line to ship. As of right now they are out of the small and we cannot get the jaket until one is returned or their shipment arrives on the 25th of this month.

She asked for an explanation as to why they called 8/26 to say the jackets came in smaller than they expected and if we wanted to move up a size. I took this as meaning the jackets were "physically" smaller in size than anticipated but the rep meant that they got "less" smalls than anticipated. If this doesn't arrive in the next few weeks I am going to have to scramble for a birthday present or have a disapointed 5 year old on my hands.
Wested have really nice goatskin youth jackets in stock, the smallest ones may just fit a 5 yo. Ask Gemma.

Save a lot of bother, and with the Dollar being so strong right now they are cheaper than in a long time.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

KT I appreciate the information. My wife and I looked at Wested's youth jackets before ordering from US Wings.

I took some measurements of my son tonight and a Wested youth 28 would "swallow" him. His measurements: 24" chest, 16" sleeve, 14" back, confirm this, however the US Wings size small 6-8 may "swallow" him as well.

Although the Wested youth jacket is now comparable in price to the US Wings version by the current exchange rate my credit and bank cards may charge me a fee as high as $35.00 for "currency conversion" .

Hey bobjones heard anything about your jacket yet?
Last edited by scot2525 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Ah, ok. :) how cute!

They do make down to quite small if asked, I know other members here have had jackets for their kids. I know they were reasonably priced. Of course turnaround time might be longer than you have.

There is one quite small jacket in the shop. It wouldn't hurt to ask how small the smallest one they have right now is.

Maybe go the Rubies route for this one and get bigger one at a later date.
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

I dont think there is a currency charge if you pay with PAYPAL.
Anyone?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

PETER wrote:I dont think there is a currency charge if you pay with PAYPAL.
Anyone?
You're right.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

PETER wrote:I dont think there is a currency charge if you pay with PAYPAL.
Anyone?
Indeed, there is no currency charge with Paypal.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Has anyone else besides Cowboy recieved this jacket yet?

I am still waiting for the jacket I ordered, July 7th, and I am beyond irritated by US Wings excuses and explanations. :x

I know this hobby requires patience, but I would like to add that this jacket has taken longer to recieve than any other piece of gear I have ordered.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

scot2525 wrote:Has anyone else besides Cowboy recieved this jacket yet?

I am still waiting for the jacket I ordered, July 7th, and I am beyond irritated by US Wings excuses and explanations. :x

I know this hobby requires patience, but I would like to add that this jacket has taken longer to recieve than any other piece of gear I have ordered.
My nephew got his about 3 weeks back.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Well unfortunately my wife was told today that the shipment due to arrive 9/25 has been pushed back to 10/16, three days after my sons b-day. The US Wings rep told my wife that we didn't order until 8/28, this is incorrect, I ordered 7/7 and my credit card was charged 8/28 two days after I was told by a US Wings cs rep that the jacket had shipped and then 2.5 hours later recieved a call to confirm size and that it would ship the same day. :x

I have sent a pm and an email to Dave hoping he can clear up the details regarding my order.

There is not an emotican or forum safe language to express how angry/dissatisfied I am with US Wings at this moment.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

some more US Wings disappointment

Post by Tibor »

Just got off the phone with them after being informed that their shipment of kids adventure jackets that was due in on October 16th is now delayed to November 1st. Nice ... too late to make an international order from Wested in time for Halloween.

Sorry, but based on this thread and this most recent news, they're off my list of reputable sellers. :x
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

I have a large kid's Indy jacket from maybe 2000? I bought a small, and a large back then for my daughter when she was born. It's not "vintage" leather. Anyways, I'm about 4 years away from my daughter fitting in it (she's wearing the small size jacket now), so if anyone really needs a jacket soon, lemme know. I can loan it or trade it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: some more US Wings disappointment

Post by Michaelson »

Tibor wrote:Just got off the phone with them after being informed that their shipment of kids adventure jackets that was due in on October 16th is now delayed to November 1st. Nice ... too late to make an international order from Wested in time for Halloween.

Sorry, but based on this thread and this most recent news, they're off my list of reputable sellers. :x
Not sure I understand your reasoning here, as they aren't the reason for the holdup...it's the fault of their distributor overseas they haven't received the jackets for promised shipment.

I've only read of one person's order above being involved in an order 'snafu'.

How do two events, one completely out of their control, reflect on them as being a 'DIS-reputable seller'? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Unfortunately, as Michaelson stated, our promised shipment did not arrive as scheduled. We are as disappointed as our customers and regret to inform you that the new delivery date has been set for the first week in November. We are not the manufacturer of this jacket and must rely on the promised dates from them. For us to make them here in the US would not be cost effective or allow as many customers to purchase the jacket. We apologize and will be giving a free Childs sized US Wings flag T-shirt with every order.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Sgt. wrote:Unfortunately, as Michaelson stated, our promised shipment did not arrive as scheduled. We are as disappointed as our customers and regret to inform you that the new delivery date has been set for the first week in November. We are not the manufacturer of this jacket and must rely on the promised dates from them. For us to make them here in the US would not be cost effective or allow as many customers to purchase the jacket. We apologize and will be giving a free Childs sized US Wings flag T-shirt with every order.
Even further removed from US Wings was the problems the earlier shipments had with US Customs, an entity who is not always the most efficient part of the government (if there is an efficient part outside of the IRS - let me know).

To be fair, US Wings faced alot of obstacles that were not of their doing in this endeavor; earthquakes in China, manufacturing issues, Customs, etc.

My nephew loves his jacket, and so will the kids who get them later on.
Last edited by bobjones on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

SGT!!! Good to see you post here! This will make communication smoother w/ US wings. As excited as people are with recieving their kids Indy jackets there are many of us "grown up" kids anticipating the Temple of Doom prototype from you!

C3
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

coronado3 wrote:SGT!!! Good to see you post here! This will make communication smoother w/ US wings. As excited as people are with recieving their kids Indy jackets there are many of us "grown up" kids anticipating the Temple of Doom prototype from you!

C3
Yes it is nice to see Dave post on COW.

Dave,

I would really appreciate a response to the pm I sent you on 9/29, or a response to the email I sent uswings.com, to your attention on 9/29, regarding my order of the Kid's Indy jacket. I understand that items can be held up by customs, however my order has moved beyond this circumstance. Please take the time to contact me.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Hi Michaelson,

The logic is the same for any business. If you make a commitment to provide a product to a customer by a certain time, regardless of why you can't, it's still your fault. US Wings was perfectly happy to accept as many orders as possible, and these were based on a shipment date provided of October 16th (and particularly linked to many kids wanting to dress like Indy for Halloween).

I don't care about their supply problems with China. That's their problem and it impacts their reputation. Sorry, but I still hold people accountable for their decisions. Next time, maybe they won't outsource to China, or they'll outsource to someone more reliable in China. This time it dinged their reputation and they know it.

Other people can have whatever opinions they want based on their experiences. This is my only experience with their company ... not so good.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry, I just don't think like you do. I'd be the first in line to agree if a vendor, no matter who it was, did this deliberately, but I'm afraid that to take such an unmovable stand will keep you a VERY unhappy consumer for the rest of your natural life. :shock: :lol: ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Tibor wrote: I don't care about their supply problems with China. That's their problem and it impacts their reputation. Sorry, but I still hold people accountable for their decisions. Next time, maybe they won't outsource to China, or they'll outsource to someone more reliable in China. This time it dinged their reputation and they know it.
The world according to Tibor?

It's simple, don't do business with USW anymore. I have no problem with that. But if you feel the need to go online and bash the company, when the president of said company just explained the situation, well...good for you I guess.

By the way, if you have some ideas about where they should outsource maybe you should contact Sgt. Hack...
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Actually, I'm a generally happy consumer. And yes, it's as simple as that... in this case, it was my world and this was what happened. I hope others receive better service, and I'd like to warn people that sometimes they won't.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Tibor wrote:..... and I'd like to warn people that sometimes they won't.
In the retail world, that's kind of a 'given'. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Fair enough. Every business owner knows if you take a chance and it doesn't work out, you take your lumps. I'll lay off them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Glad we agree. :)

Going all the way round the barn, if that is a 'given' in retail, then what occurred doesn't make them a disreputable seller, does it?

It's the 'chance' this business took in dealing with entities outside their control, and that entity didn't deliver as promised/contracted. Not only were their customers left in the lurch, but so were they, and they are left to deal with the collaterial damage. It happens everyday in the retail business world.

That all I was saying above.

Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I am a consumer that completely understands a product being delayed by the manufacturer or being held by customs, I deal with this problem everyday as the CSM of my company. In fact delays of these kinds should be considered the norm.

My disenchanment with USWings has little to do with this issue but more the fact that I was told my sons jacket had shipped my CC was charged and he still does not have the jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

scot2525 wrote: My disenchanment with USWings has little to do with this issue but more the fact that I was told my sons jacket had shipped my CC was charged and he still does not have the jacket.
THAT is a totally legitimate gripe. :?

Regard! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just received from David. He's pulling his hair out:
FYI..
You may post any part of this e-mail or all!!
This is what I am working with.

Regards,
Sarge

SFC David D. Hack US Army Ret. info@uswings.com www.uswings.com
www.mokuman.com
----- Original Message -----
To: <Laurie@uswings.com>
Cc: <info@uswings.com;
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 7:17 AM
Subject: Kids Jkts

> Ref No.: 1610E
> To : US Wings
> Attn : Sgt. D Hack/ Myke R./ Laurie
>
>
> Dear All,
> 1) For the current kids' cowskin Indy jackets, the final docs will be
> approved & rec'd on Oct 27 (or earlier) and the shipment (full qty) will
> be
> on air freight on Oct 28-29.
> The special invoice (for your import purpose) will be sent 5 days
> earlier.
> 2) For subsequent orders on kids' goatskin A2 jackets (200pcs) and kids'
> cowskin Indy jackets
> (200pcs), we will respect your decision if these are withheld now.
> If proceeding, we will have to combine the 2 orders for material import
> declaration (and product export as well) first; and the despatch date for
> the joint shipment will be Dec 15-16.
> **For whatever shipment of leather jackets, we can guarantee the stable
> and
> good standard of skin and workmanship despite the recent delay
> schedules.**
> 3) To overcome the overlong or delay schedules (as a result of recent
> procedural headache), may we suggest again that a proposed main order plan
> (3-month or longer) with various styles and leather types may be
> introduced.
> About 2-5% variation in qty is allowed.
> Despite the bigger qty, we can at least apply for all import
> declaration
> (and export) once and for all at the initial stage. It takes the same
> amount
> & type of procedures for us to handle a 200 pieces order or a 1,000 pieces
> order. As mentioned, there is no problem for factory production on these
> styles but the pre- and after- production process. In fact, factory has
> more
> problem if the 1st order (finshed products) is not exported while the 2nd
> order (same materials) has been in place for import.
> Besides, it is helpful if bulk order is placed in relative off-season
> (first half of a year) when most tanneries, material suppliers and factory
> capacity are most available & flexible.
> Anyhow, we hope it is useful information for your any possible plan now
> or in near future.
> Thanks & Best Regards,
> Allen/ Knowhow
>
Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

UPDATE!
Please post... US Wings Inc. received their release today from the US Customs and the Kids Indy Jackets will be sent from the Hudson Ohio Office this Fri. the 7th of Nov. to all of our good customers..... We only received 300 Jackets from our Hong Kong Partners and will not receive another shipment for at least 6 months.
I feel that this shipment will last until Dec. 1,08 But this is only a Guess!!! so I would place your order now to make sure you receive your Season Gift. If you have already placed your order with us We will be giving away free a Kids US Flag T-Shirt orders placed after Nov. 1,08 no extra Gift.
!!

Sarge
Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

My son's jacket better ship Nov. 7 this time. I cannot handle anymore excuses or lack of a personal response from US Wings regarding this order.

Thank you for the update Michaelson. I have recieved more information from you in the last 2 weeks than from anyone at US Wings.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Bob, Cowboy were are the pics of your nephew or sons jackets? :( Was the jacket worth the wait and does it seam to be a quality product?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, here's the latest news!

The jackets arrived this morning, paid for overnight delivery for $5000+ out of David's own pocket, and were immediately shipped this morning. Any orders that were pending are now gone via UPS.

Anyone that needs to exchange the jacket, you best do it asap, as the next shipment due is 6 months out. :shock: Bottom line for the snafu in Hong Kong? They literally ran out of leather!!!!!

If you're thinking of a Christmas present of this jacket this year, you best be on the phone before I finish typing this!!!!

Seriously!

Regards! Michaelson