The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I don't really have many pictures of my new Fed IV Deluxe, but here is one of it on my head:

Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Has anyone else found this to be the case?
I agree, the worst part of the Fed 4 is the bow. I much preferred the original Fed bow which looked a #### of a lot more dynamic. One thing that irks me is the width of the "knot" section of the bow. Compared to all the hats I've owned, the "knot" seems disproportionately wide relative to the entire bow. Also as you said, the bow itself is not that nice. The fold in the ribbon seems a bit to forced and is more like a wrinkle which makes it extremely flat. I'd also like the knot to be cinched more tightly. Perhaps not as extreme as the original Fed's, but at least somewhere in between the two incarnations.
spenyk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by spenyk »

how soft is the felt of the fed IV deluxe is it easy to manipulate?
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I have found the Fed IV Deluxe to be pretty easy to manipulate, but then again I can't compare it to any other hat since it is the only one I have.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Easy. You can put a good bash in it without steam, etc., right out of the box.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Marcus Brody wrote: I agree, the worst part of the Fed 4 is the bow. I much preferred the original Fed bow which looked a #### of a lot more dynamic..
Fed 4 ribbon looks exactly the same as old Fed ribbon-exactly, but it's thicker and harder to work with, as in what's needed to make a good Raiders bow. I wish they'd go back to the old stuff.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

3thoubucks wrote:
Marcus Brody wrote: I agree, the worst part of the Fed 4 is the bow. I much preferred the original Fed bow which looked a #### of a lot more dynamic..
Fed 4 ribbon looks exactly the same as old Fed ribbon-exactly, but it's thicker and harder to work with, as in what's needed to make a good Raiders bow. I wish they'd go back to the old stuff.
I think both of you are blind.
HardBop Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by HardBop Jones »

Hey Gang,

I just received this a couple of days ago. This is my first bash. Actually, it's my first real fedora. I'm still working on the bash, but I'm impressed that it didn't take much work to acheive a look I'm happy with. I think I'll probably tighten the pitch a little more. I'm not used to the tall crown yet but that won't take long.

MightyMegs
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MightyMegs »

jnicktem wrote:I don't really have many pictures of my new Fed IV Deluxe, but here is one of it on my head:

Cool. Did you bash it yourself, or did it come bashed?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

All Fed IV's come open crown, so unless he got someone to do it for him, he bashed it himself.

Regards, Geert
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Yep, I bashed it myself... it was my first!!! :shock:

I am trying to get a tighter pinch... and it is coming along nicely. I will have to post pics of it when it's done!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

some advise.go slow and spray a little water on if needed.use some cloth pinches and you should make it look like this..

Deluxe

ImageImageImage
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

That looks awesome Holt! Mine is starting to look like that. The clothes pin idea is a good one... I think I am going to try that.
spenyk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by spenyk »

Holt those pictures are just fantastic.
aza1701
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by aza1701 »

I like the clothes pin idea too, Holt, but I'm still a little scared to use it. I'm still practising bashing and don't want anything permanent yet. I need to get another picture posted...

Aza1701
spenyk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by spenyk »

Holt is there any website I could go visit that would tell me how to do a bash like that? Some of the links on the main stickies don't work anymore. I just would like a good tutorial on bashing
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

First time basher... am I doing this right? I have to work the center pinch some more..

Image Image ImageImage ImageImage
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes your doing it right.good work.I love the 3rd picture.very raiders. I got the same look going on:)

Spenyk: there are sites posted here in this forum..search a little around here..
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

Holt, that last pic !!!!! :) Hats looking great! I like nothing better than a hat that's been worn a little. When they come all new and crisp they never seem to have the right look for me.

Regards,

MJ
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Here's some recent pics of my Fed IV Deluxe (as of 2 minutes ago):

Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Modern Jones »

jnicktem, nice lookin lid / bash.

I'd push the center dent a tad more downward at the back, just a little. (My preference depending on the look you're going for.)

Throw some pics up with it on your noggin! (I'm with Michaelson, ..... a hat never looks quite correct unless it's worn. ;-) )

Regards,

MJ
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Ask and ye shall receive:

Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Modern Jones »

That looks muuuuch better! Bashes and pinches never come to life without the head inside.

MJ
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

my Fed lV D. came in last week. This hat is sweet. Ordered my regular size ( 58 ). a little loose but will shrink to a perfect fit. A nice and comfy hat i must say.

hats of to hatsdirect/the hattery

CJ
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Carbon Gray nice but too big

Post by lpa53 »

I've posted about this elsewhere on COW but saw this thread mentioned that Ron of hatsdirect may visit this thread now and again.

I got my carbon gray Fed IV last week and the 57 I ordered goes over the tops of my ears. Probably a measurement interpretation problem on my part not theirs (their delivery was really fast).

But I've been trying to contact them for threel days at several email addresses (from their site) to learn the particulars about replacement/returns so I can decide what to do.

I heard that Monday was a holiday for them so perhaps that's it, and I've read good things about their customer service. But I'd also like to get on with resolving this.

I'd prefer not to have to call (costly from the US) - can Ron also be contacted through COW?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've got my Fed deluxe from darthjones and I love the thing. It's got a good bash on it but I had half thought of doing a turn and rebashing it before the current bash "sets". The problem is that I have to really turn the hat to get the proper Raiders look. I'd have to reposition the ribbon and I'm not confident enough to try something like that yet.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Carbon Gray nice but too big

Post by Kokopelli »

lpa53 wrote:
I got my carbon gray Fed IV last week and the 57 I ordered goes over the tops of my ears. Probably a measurement interpretation problem on my part not theirs
...maybe not. Trust me on this one.
What does your head measure? If your 56 to 56 1/2 cms...you want the 57 you have. Put a piece of the sizing foam under the sweatband on each side, maybe a piece 1 1/2 inches long, just enough to where it fits good. Now wear it. The leather sweatband will shrink up and start to become snug on your head in a short while. When it gets too snug, cut your foam in half, or take it out. It will now fit juuuust right!
Unless you got a freak 'larger' measuring sized 57 (it happens) you want it loose when new.
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Carbon Gray nice but too big

Post by lpa53 »

citRon wrote:
lpa53 wrote:
I got my carbon gray Fed IV last week and the 57 I ordered goes over the tops of my ears. Probably a measurement interpretation problem on my part not theirs
...maybe not. Trust me on this one.
What does your head measure? If your 56 to 56 1/2 cms...you want the 57 you have. Put a piece of the sizing foam under the sweatband on each side, maybe a piece 1 1/2 inches long, just enough to where it fits good. Now wear it. The leather sweatband will shrink up and start to become snug on your head in a short while. When it gets too snug, cut your foam in half, or take it out. It will now fit juuuust right!
Unless you got a freak 'larger' measuring sized 57 (it happens) you want it loose when new.
I measured and remeasured the other day and come up with 22", or about 55.5cm. I should mention too that it's not just big side to side but also front to back.

I did try the tape they sent. Didn't fully put it in but thought when looking in the mirror that you could see it stand away from the head at the sides. Maybe I have to try it again and really put it in.

What side of the hat should the sticky side of the tape be on?

What actually causes a hat to shrink? I'm not wearing it in the rain at this point. If I soaked it and it still didn't fit I'd have a hard time returning it!

maybe I'll give this a try and get a pic taken. It'll look odd open-crowned though !
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Ip,my head measurement is exactly the same as yours(22 inches)and the Fed size 56 is a perfect fit(I have 2),the 57 you have is a size too big, the 56 will fit you just right. Image
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Looks Great but now ....

Post by lpa53 »

mark seven wrote:Ip,my head measurement is exactly the same as yours(22 inches)and the Fed size 56 is a perfect fit(I have 2),the 57 you have is a size too big, the 56 will fit you just right.
That hat looks great! Now if only I could get someone at Hatsdirect to answer my emails so I get an exchange done correctly.

Should I just ship it back with a letter? I'm afraid that would gum things up.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Looks Great but now ....

Post by binkmeisterRick »

lpa53 wrote: Now if only I could get someone at Hatsdirect to answer my emails so I get an exchange done correctly.
When was the last time you sent an e-mail? I thought I heard someone mention that there was a holiday in Australia this week, which may have something to do with them being out of the office.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

As we know, the Fed IV is a near perfect lid, but if I were to change anything about it, I'd lighten the felt a little, and take out the plastic piece inside the crown. They say alot of body heat escapes through the top of your head. Replacing the plastic with fabric would allow the head to breath easier. Just a thought.
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Looks Great but now ....

Post by lpa53 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
lpa53 wrote: Now if only I could get someone at Hatsdirect to answer my emails so I get an exchange done correctly.
When was the last time you sent an e-mail? I thought I heard someone mention that there was a holiday in Australia this week, which may have something to do with them being out of the office.
I sent an email to info@hatsdirect.com on Oct 6 and one to question@hatsdirect.com on the 7th. Both of those addresses are from the Hatsdirect website.

People on COW have suggested contacting "Ron" but if he's not at those email addresses, how does one get hold of him? I hope I don't have to call all the way to downunder.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Post 'question for Ron' in your subject title of your email and send it to the 'info' email address. He'll get it there.

Also, keep in mind that they're on the otherside of the international date line from you, so it's about 15 hour difference ahead of us. (It's weird to get emails from Ron and Indy Magnoli date stamped with tomorrow's date, and in real time! :shock: ), so it might be the middle of the night when you're writing them.

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Nothing like getting mail from the future. It certainly helps for the weather forecast. :lol:
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Katoomba Time

Post by lpa53 »

Michaelson wrote:Post 'question for Ron' in your subject title of your email and send it to the 'info' email address. He'll get it there.

Also, keep in mind that they're on the otherside of the international date line from you, so it's about 15 hour difference ahead of us. (It's weird to get emails from Ron and Indy Magnoli date stamped with tomorrow's date, and in real time! :shock: ), so it might be the middle of the night when you're writing them.

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks. I'll try your suggestion. They'll have so many emails from me with the same text they'll probably think I'm nuts! My wife already does with my buying spree ...

I've got a web link showing me the time in Katoomba if I have to call.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Nothing like getting mail from the future. It certainly helps for the weather forecast. :lol:
Now if it would only work for getting the winning lotto number... :-k ;-)
ulldarborealis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ulldarborealis »

well it took 7 days to get here from AUS not bad at all

By ulldar, shot with NIKON D80 at 2008-10-09

By ulldar, shot with NIKON D80 at 2008-10-09

ok what next the bash humm talk a noob thru please

richard
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

nice.

the bash,,hmm..

allthough it can make a passable raiders,it would look the best with a CS bash JMO
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

mark seven wrote:Ip,my head measurement is exactly the same as yours(22 inches)and the Fed size 56 is a perfect fit(I have 2),the 57 you have is a size too big, the 56 will fit you just right. Image
yep, at 55.5, a 56 would be your size. I'm a 56.5 and a 57 is perfect.
As far as communication, I just ordered from HD's websight yesterday, got a reply and confirmation from them this morning.
ulldarborealis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ulldarborealis »

Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Venkman »

Nice looking lid there, Ulldar. The bash looks good to my eyes. :)
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Katoomba Time

Post by lpa53 »

lpa53 wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Post 'question for Ron' in your subject title of your email and send it to the 'info' email address. He'll get it there.

Regards! Michaelson
Darn, four days, three emails, three email addresses, and still no reply from anyone at Akubra.

How much does it cost to call Australia from the US? Most likely pretty high and then with return/restock costs and a reorder I may as well try to sell the hat and forget it. Hmmm. probably not too many out there looking for a carbon grey. Looks like my stock is falling just like the market.

Or I stuff the heck out of the stuff the sweatband and hope it doesn't rock back and forth in the wind.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ulldarborealis

woah... anybody have mistaken you for Adam from mythbusters?
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Indiana Holt wrote:ulldarborealis

woah... anybody have mistaken you for Adam from mythbusters?
Hehe...just about to say this as well. Also, nice job with the hat so far.
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

We have Contact ...

Post by lpa53 »

After all the emails to Hatsdirect, I did end the evening well by finding a reply from one of them - in my Spam folder ! Who knows, I may have even deleted the others site-unseen myself (duh!).

The very nice reply was from Deb at sales@hatsdirect.com and had all the info I need to replace the 57 with a 56.

I sure hope the 56 works because, unbashed, the 57 looks like an elephant wearing a stovepipe on my head. Is that a normal feeling newbies get when putting on their first Raiders lid?
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

my Fed lV D. on my head.

Rio
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Ronny,

thats a nice looking lid man.its a CS bash right?

feels like it can last forever right?

anyways.very nice!
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

thanks Holt
the bash is a little more loose on the front than the CS bash. maybe more like a YIJ bash. just a little deeper. ;)

love the hat!

Rio
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That DOES suit you perfectly, CJ.

(And that shirt ain't half bad either!)

:)

Mitch