Has anyone taken one of Anthony De Longis' whip classes?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Has anyone taken one of Anthony De Longis' whip classes?

Post by IndyFalco »

I'm REALLY interested in it but I'm curious if any one C.O.W has gone there before :-k . Does anybody know off hand what the rates are for the training?

Any Info would help:) :whip:

http://www.delongis.com/indalo/index.html

Edit: I just noticed his page hasn't been updated since 2006. So... Does he still give classes?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

:) ;-) (I'm sorry - I had to show off... :oops: :[ )

I was up there last December with Anthony (and several other guys who were there for some training). He's very generous with his time and I'd say he loves to teach. He's very precise and after working with him my form and even my own precision increased a lot. He'll let you use his whips, and maybe he'll use yours. He used mine for a little and had me try one of his long handled whips, which I didn't quite like as much as the short handled whips. His house is not the easiest one to get to, but if you get to the bottom of the "hill" he's on, he'll come down and pick you up in his SUV. Again, he's a very nice guy. Very safe teacher, and his confidence rubs off on you. He's also one of those guys who could be doing something totally un-whip-related and if you asked a question I think he'd go "OH! Yeah! Check this out!" :lol: I had a lot of fun when I went up there, and I'd go again if I could. But......

I THINK his rate is around $100 / hr, or something like $450 for a whole day. Email him though to check!

Shane
Last edited by McFly on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

McFly,
That was Uber-Helpful. :)
The price is steep, but like you mentioned, it's help you gone a long way with your form. I'm definitely going to give this a shot.

BTW, could you share any other pictures from your training with Delongis?
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I'd like some training time as well! The first student of the Anthony Delongis Peformance and Comat Arts is Mr. Kendall Wells
www.kendalwells.com
If your in the PacNorWest look him up.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

IndyFalco wrote:BTW, could you share any other pictures from your training with Delongis?
Absolutely!! :o :) :lol:

And I'll narrate, too.

When we got there and started the lesson (it was about 6 hours, which is basically just a day - also, it was very cold that day lol), we all went down into the horse corral and lined up along the fence, with our Morgans (and my Stenhouse, and one EC whip and I think one Caicedo), and did little showcases for Anthony, so he could see where we were at.

Here's me fighting off Anthony DeLongis. He didn't have a chance.

Then after everybody did their thing, he talked to us all and gave us what I'd call "Whip Theory 101," which was a quick lesson on safety, the "railroad track" concept, his way of handling the whip against the natural curve (made a huge difference!) and so on.

(Whips pictured, not including Anthony's, L-R: Morgan 10', Morgan 12', Caicedo 8', Morgan 10', Stenhouse 8', EC 8')

Then after he spoke for a while he demonstrated some of the theory in action.

"Wax on... wax off... Rinse. Repeat."

Then he gave us some directions, and came and worked with us one-on-one, correcting our form and showing us other things.

But WATCH OUT! His horses like ABs!

Jk - actually you crack in the midst of the two horses that live in the corral. They're cool though and usually stay away from you while you're cracking, but they are used to it so they'll come right up to you and say hi. They're very friendly horses, and it's actually pretty funny when they come up to you. But if Anthony says for them to go away, they turn and go! (He's got 'em whipped! :P) This guy followed Floatin' Joe around and spent some time looking at the finer details of his NH pants, AB, and MkVII.

After cracking, his wife made us some lunch (also very kind) and they demonstrated their Bullwhip Tango, a synchronized cracking routine set to music that they do. After that we talked Harrison Ford and whips, and he showed us the whip he trained Harrison with (the one on his chest in the very first pic I posted).

Hope you liked the pics and story! You won't regret spending time with him!

Shane
Last edited by McFly on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lion Tamer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lion Tamer »

If you get the chance, I recommend looking at one of Anthony's dvds before your lesson. Before I went up there I repeatedly watched "Whipcracking With The Masters," which exposed me to many of Anthony's basic teaching principles and cracking techniques. I felt like I got much more out of the lesson having seen the video and practiced ahead of time.

I haven't uploaded any training photos, but you can see some shots of Anthony and his ranch on my whip site here.

Good luck!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

^ That's also a good idea. I saw that same DVD, but after my lesson (it's the one with Colin and the horses too, right?). It was like a really good review of the day, but I feel like if I'd seen it before, I could have progressed further. Also, if you go by yourself and you already know that, you'd progress further than I could have with a group. Definitely check it out!

Shane
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Actually, with the horses around it might make a good outing for the whole family. Wife and kids LOVE horses! She used to ride Dressage.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I'd love to visit his ranch for some whip training. I can't believe it's so cheap, but I guess that's due to the stronger GBP. ;-)
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

I have one of ANthiny's DVD's. If another group should decide to schedule a time go see Anthony on a weekend, please let me know. This sounds like a great time.

Indiana Jake
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Hello folks, Shane sent me a txt the other day that a friend of his was curious about going up to the ranch, but he didn't bother to mention that it was a thread on COW.

I have trained with Anthony a couple of times and will be heading back up there the week of the Queen Mary. (Shane, I'll have two solid days of training before we duel again :whip: , you better be ready to bow to your master :notworthy: )

Anthony is an extraordinary instructor who has a background in the education community. His teaching style and cracking style are distinctly his, and they both work quite well.

The ranch itself is not what comes to mind when thinking of a ranch (it is no Southfork or Ponderosa). It is more along the lines of Ra's Al Ghul's house on top of the mountain in Batman Begins.

Anthony and his wife Mary are two of the nicest people, quite genuine. The ranch is more than just a training facility, it is their home and they truly open up their home to you.

For some reason I want to say I've talked about my visit here, but I can't find it if I did.

Anthony and I have trained on whips, throwing knives, throwing tomahawks, archery, western style single action shooting, Filipino fighting sticks, and Boliadoras. (Check out this video of us: Demonstrating Boliadoras)

If you're interested in training with him, contact him through the website. Depending on what is happening at the ranch (and he might be out on a production), it might take a few days to receive a response, but you will hear from them. I will say, the training and experience gained at the ranch are completely worth it.

If you have any questions, please contact me offline (I don't get a chance to check the board as often as I'd like).

Mike
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

FloatinJoe wrote:Shane, I'll have two solid days of training before we duel again :whip: , you better be ready to bow to your master :notworthy:
I think you usually beat me anyway, don't you? ;-) You know, you hit me last time we duelled! I won't be overconfident but I'll definitely take you on again. :lol: :twisted:

Shane
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

McFly wrote: Then he gave us some directions, and came and worked with us one-on-one, correcting our form and showing us other things.

That's me cracking one of Anthony's performance whips. I just love the way the picture caught the whip's role.
McFly wrote: But WATCH OUT! His horses like ABs!

And yes, the horse was loving my gear that day.
McFly wrote: After cracking, his wife made us some lunch (also very kind) and they demonstrated their Bullwhip Tango, a synchronized cracking routine set to music that they do. After that we talked Harrison Ford and whips, and he showed us the whip he trained Harrison with (the one on his chest in the very first pic I posted).
Shane, I got to crack that whip!!!

Mike
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

FloatinJoe wrote:Shane, I got to crack that whip!!!
Yes, I remember quite well. :x ;-) :P

Shane
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

i ask this question only because i am super protective of my whips....
but i have always been told, the ideal place to crack is on grass and to NEVER crack on concrete due to the abbrasion and to not crack in dirt or sand because the dirt can get in the whip and wear it down...

i always seen Anthony cracking in his "arena".... is this bad for whips? the dirt/sand/dust?
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

You better believe it's rough on the whips! They'll loosen up much easier and not have a tight plait and be clean. Plus you could fling any rocks or other random stuff in the dirt. He probably seems them as tools and doesn't baby them like many of us here at COW do.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

There's definitely some debris flying around when you crack there. Anthony actually got a few of us with some stuff - but we got him back and had a good laugh about it. :lol:

Regarding the sand in his corral, it may not be AS bad as we've heard, but a good cleaning afterwards was fine and I believe got all the sand (or at least most of it) out of the braiding. But for Anthony... well, he's probably got like a billion whips anyway!

Shane
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

When I was there this spring, cracking in the coral didn't seem like the ideal thing to do.

I only took my nylon whips down to Anthony's coral, and left my kangaroo whips up by his house. Anthony has a slow, graceful approach to whip cracking, so when his whips hit the ground, they don't hit it very hard. I think that helps his whips last longer inspite of his practice area.

-Adam
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Very funny McFly. :) But in all honesty, it is something you have to watch out for. I myself have had stuff fly before and hit things.

A good cleaning? You mean a real good cleaning because if you practiced often in there, the dirt/sand/and other bits would rub into the whip and cause it to fall apart quicker.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Yeah, I mean a pretty thorough cleaning! Like, bending the whip and using a little brush and getting the sand out and all that.

Adam - I'd never thought of that! It makes perfect sense that the slow approach helps the whip land more softly. And also, he likes to keep the whip moving, so I'm sure it touches the ground much less than it would with say...... me! :lol:

Shane
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I'm guessing the people who work with whips don't baby them much either. But with a good cleaning, they will last and last. Work Vs. Hobby, and our whips were designed for work. TESTED ON LIVE KILLER BULLS!
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

i noticed in the french video of Anthony, when he picked up the Indy whip, it was very dusty..... but hey. it is ANTHONY we're talkin about... Im pretty sure he knows what hes doing.

Theres a place out by the lake I like to crack, and theres some sandy patches....... usually gets the whips pretty dirty, but i just scrub um with some saddle soap with a tooth brush...

Eh, I probably baby my whips too much anyway.... Some of them have never even been cracked out doors before...
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

hollywood1340 wrote:I'm guessing the people who work with whips don't baby them much either. But with a good cleaning, they will last and last. Work Vs. Hobby, and our whips were designed for work. TESTED ON LIVE KILLER BULLS!
Another way to look at this: you know how Anthony is such a strong supporter of Terry's whips........ i guess its a REALLY good testimonial if they can survive all THAT....
Vindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vindy »

WhipDude wrote:You better believe it's rough on the whips! They'll loosen up much easier and not have a tight plait and be clean. Plus you could fling any rocks or other random stuff in the dirt. He probably seems them as tools and doesn't baby them like many of us here at COW do.
I just got his video, "Whip Cracking with the Masters Vol. 1", and in one of the first sections, Mr. De Longis stresses how you should always practice on a smooth, non-abrasive surface such as grass to avoid damaging your whip... :-k

Must be a case of "Do as I say"... :)

But seriously, as noted earlier, it may be that Mr. De Longis just doesn't hit the surface as often or with great force.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Those whips are Anthony’s working whips, they are his tools. I know he makes an effort to look after them but he by no means baby’s them. For the most part they’ve appeared to hold up well over long use, even under those less then ideal conditions, like his dusty gravely horse coral.

Obviously a soft grassy areas or smooth polished or carpeted area is going to much more ideal practice area and be easier on the whip, which is especially important for those who may only be able to own one or two really good whips, and can’t necessarily replace at the drop of a hat if they get a bit roughed up.
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

I doubt the old style cowboys worried about whether they threw their whips, wny more than we would only use a shovel in soft earth.

The grass rule is for keeping it looking pristine. Do you tink Indy looked around that street in Cairo and thought "OMG! I can't crack here! THese are dusty stone streets!" :)

Just be smart about it. Avoid it if you want a clean whip or clean it good if you do crack on unfavorable surfaces.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Don't forget for the early movies, Ford also practiced in the concrete backlot of Elstree Studios. Ouch!
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Satipo wrote:Don't forget for the early movies, Ford also practiced in the concrete backlot of Elstree Studios. Ouch!

from the few shots ive seen of him practicing for KOTCS, he was also on concrete....
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

myrddin,

In case nobody else has mentioned it...
That has got to be one of the best avatars I've seen in a while!
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

lol Thanks. I can't claim credit for it, though. I saw it 5+ years ago on some forum and have been using it ever since. :)

Every once in a while I'll get a PM from someone saying "Dude, you avatar is broken." :mrgreen:
scavoj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Has anyone taken one of Anthony De Longis' whip classes?

Post by scavoj »

IndyFalco wrote:I'm REALLY interested in it but I'm curious if any one C.O.W has gone there before :-k . Does anybody know off hand what the rates are for the training?

Any Info would help:) :whip:

http://www.delongis.com/indalo/index.html

Edit: I just noticed his page hasn't been updated since 2006. So... Does he still give classes?
I just joined and have been searching for information on classes given by Anghony Delongis but haven't found any information on his classes at the Ranch. I have also had trouble getting in touch with him or Mary at the Email addresses on their site. I've also tried to Email the Palpable Hit Productions Email address because I wanted to purchase Volumes 1 and 2 of his Bullwhip DVDs but the Emails are returned with an error.

Any information you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Joe, PM sent. Mike