Vegan Jones

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Vegan Jones

Post by Shishak »

Don't ask me why I was thinking about this, but it seems that a person could put together a completely leather-free Indiana Jones outfit. We've got the cotton jacket from Wested, a nylon whip (from where?), and cotton web belts. I've actually made a bag strap out of some faux black leather strapping I found at Wal-Mart. It was $8 for two yards and I just trimmed it down to the width I wanted. It makes a great strap. I'm just having trouble with the holster and boots. Anyone have any ideas? Also, is there a vendor that makes a decent fedora with a non-leather sweat band? Thoughts?
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

Vegan Jones......Funny... but last night I sat down at the dinner table, and while I was eating a 16oz. Porterhouse steak, I was thinking the same thing...................................Just Kidding!.......................................It was a 24oz. steak.
Regards,
Forrestal
Last edited by Forrestal on Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Stetson's TofD fedora came with a cotton sweatband, and they're still floating around. There is a company (Bauer) that makes a canvas flap holster. Only problem is that the only one I've seen is camo, but it could probably be dyed. How about that? Regards. Michaelson
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

Actually, a co-worker is a vegetarian and doesn't wear a bit of leather. That's what got me thinking about this whole thing. The boots would probably be the hardest part, but since I'm not actually putting this thing together, I'm not worried about it. The post was more of a "what-if" than anything else.
Last edited by Shishak on Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

I saw a pair of Alden-ish shoes at Payless today that were made of some sort of synthetic suede type material.

Also, I would imagine you could get a cotton or nylon holster; if not it would be fairly straightforward to make one. I'm going to go track down some local gunstores shortly so I'll keep my eyes out.

My Akubra Safari had a cloth sweatband in it, but I bought it many years ago, it wasn't dimensionally cut, there was no liner...it was a pretty poor excuse for an indy hat. But a poor excuse is better then no excuse :)

Oh yeah and the crown was inches too short.

Hope that helps a little,

Regards,

Farn
Paulcrastination
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Paulcrastination »

What about the pants. How do the vegans feel about wool? Not that a cotton alternative isn't available... MBA pants or not?
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

Good question. Hadn't thought about that one :)
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

I think the pants are fine. Wool is sheerd off of sheep rather then killing them. I did this for a season while living on a farm. It does not hurt them and in fact, if it is not done there main can become too large and they can over heat.

Cheers,
Jeff
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Well, the cotton web belt isn't really an alternative to leather, as I don't think there's such thing as a leather web belt (isn't it called web because of the way the cotton is proccessed or something?). What we'd need an alternative for would be the gun belt. And for a fedora? Just get the leather sweatband changed, or ask them to do it for you.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Not to throw a wrench into the discussion, but wouldn't a fur felt fedora also not work? Fun thread, Shishak!

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I guess you'd have to go with the Disney wool if that's the case. Now would a vegan wear leather if he knew for certain the animal wasn't killed but rather died of old age...I see that as a type of recycling.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Dun dun dunnnn....

Post by cliffhanger »

The plot thickens.... :)
arkstatler
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by arkstatler »

Working for a call center my first thought on this subject was Dilbert's discussion with one of his coworkers earlier in the month.

I'm also reminded of one of Jerry Clower's stories where he mentioned someone condemning him for the lizard skin cowboy boots he was wearing at one of his shows. "But I DIDN'T have a lizard killed for these, maam. I waited until I saw one dead along the highway, and fought the buzzards off so I could retrieve it and have it made into these boots".

As for the wool hat or pants, it would depend on the view of the particular vegan. For those who don't want the animal harmed, it would be ok. For those that believe keeping the animal in captivity is exploiting it and keeping it from a happy life in the wild, then alternatives would have to be found. Any more success in finding a straw Indy hat? Cotton and lots and lots of starch maybe? I'm sure a suitable cotton alternative could be found for the pants.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I’m a proud member of PETA…

People Eating Tasty Animals.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

I, too, love animals.

They are delicious :D

No offense to any vegans out there, it is their choice.

Regards,

Farn
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

There is room for all of God's Creatures

Right next to the baked potato.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

As long as it's not a Panda, or a dog, or any other animals that I like to be alive, make clothes and food :)
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

Renderking Fisk wrote:I’m a proud member of PETA…

People Eating Tasty Animals.
:lol: I'm still laughing... I used to date a vegan a long time ago, let's just say thank God it's over :wink: Try to find a resteraunt that's vegan approved. :? Nope, just give me the 24oz slab of beef. Mmmmgood.

Cheers,
Jeff
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I think I unknowingly ate horse meat when I was 16 while on a trip to Switzerland at a place called McCheapers. Ick!

Horse bad, Beef good!
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

We stopped in Tombstone for drinks and dinner on our way back from Bisbee today....HJS and I both had massive black angus prime rib steaks for dinner. Yum......(medium rare, of course--REAL medium rare, as in pretty much everything but the outer edge was bloody. Mmmmm....)

Good one, Renderking!!!

This is a thread for all those Humboldt County hippies we left behind! (Or as we call them, Wookiees. :twisted: 'Course, a Wookiee bathes much more frequently.)
Regards--Maryon
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Hello, my name is Ren... and Iam a thread stealer-aholic, and I love beef.

Ever notice how vegans and homosexuals make their lifestyles a POLITICAL statement?
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Ren, that line will forever be stuck in my head...

Ah c'mon Dakota, there's always room for Panda! :D So how many cows do you think you eat a year? - As a family, probably 2 1/2.

Cows rock! You can drink 'em wear 'em and eat 'em! They're God's very own Kwiq-E-Marts!
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

So to get even further off topic (hey, it was my thread to begin with), I went to a restaurant over the weekend called "Low Fat, Know Fat" and had myself a bison burger. Quite tasty, and since in my youth I was nearly trampled by a herd of bison on Catalina Island I felt no guilt whatsoever :D.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

I too have had a bison burger, most people think that they are endangered, nearly extinct. In actual fact, there are literally thousands of them out in the praries that are raised specifically for our consumption.

Quite tasty, too.

Regards,

Farn
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I had a Buffalo/Bison Hotdog in S. Datoka. It was tasty. :)
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

Had bison burgers, had gator burgers, but the best is venison, white tail in peticuar. My mouth is wtering just thinking about it. Deer season needs to hurry up.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

JPdesign wrote:Had bison burgers, had gator burgers, but the best is venison, white tail in peticuar. My mouth is wtering just thinking about it. Deer season needs to hurry up.
Already deer season here in SC. I plan on taking one sometime this week, as my freezer is just about empty from last year.
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

It's deer season in California as well. I went hunting over the weekend and didn't see anything legal. If I hadn't had to come back home to work this week I'd still be out there.

Luke
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

I love how this thread has turned into a pro-carnivore discussion!!! Oh, if the Humboldt Wookiees could see this!
Regards--Maryon
Bothan Jedi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Bothan Jedi »

I'm also Vegan and really saddened to see this thread go the direction it has.

I too am working on collecting the parts to make a animal free Indy costume.

Shishak, let me know how your search goes. :)

Thanks

Chris
Arkansas Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Smith »

I was watching ToD again last night, my wife was sitting next to me on the couch reading (she tolerates, but isn't IN to Indy). The scene where they are dining at Pankot Palace was on and my wife asked, "do they ever show Indiana Jones eating meat?" I remembered reading this post a while back and thought maybe it was discussed, but personal eating habits are the only vegitarian/vegan habits mentioned. And so my question, have we seen Indy eat meat? We have seen fruit in Raiders. I don't know what is in the food product in the village that Indy, Willie, and Short Round eat. He is forced to drink blood, but I don't know if that counts. Any thoughts?

Arkansas Smith
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Now we're wondering whether or not a fictional character was a vegetarian, and/or possibily a member of PETA? :-k Sorry folks, this is starting to go the route of the underwear debate, if you ask me. Maybe we should swing this back around to the original topic of discussion, that of the costume idea in question. :? Regards. Michaelson
Arkansas Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Smith »

Sorry! Maybe I should have started another topic "What is Indy food?" That could be gear related. It might provide us with appropriate snack foods to carry in our MkVIIs.

Arkansas Smith
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

"Underwear debate"

Uh, I suppose I shouldn't ask, but, I'm gonna guess, boxers versus briefs? :)

lol.....

-L
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You got it. Sheesh! :roll: Regards. Michaelson
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Yea, Dark Brown socks... I stand by that.
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

Back on topic, I did find a rather nice looking nylon holster that could replace the leather one. Check it out here:

http://www.kohlmantrading.com/html/prot ... olster.htm#

Model 330 at the bottom of the page.