Why's everybody into the 8 footers?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Why's everybody into the 8 footers?

Post by moviematt1989 »

I've noticed a lot of people busting 8 footers?....isn't the 10 footer considered Indy canon?

Matt
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

8 and 10, and I think even 12+ are all "canon," but 8 footers are a nice balance between speed and looks, and they're also more popular with beginners than the heavier 10 footers.

That's what I think, anyway. :whip:

Shane
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Yeah, from what I can tell, they're easier to crack (this coming from a guy who's never cracked a 10-footer). From what I've read/heard in the past (and absolutely none of this should be taken as the truth from my mouth as I don't know for sure), The "belt" whip was usually 10-foot for looks, but the whip used in hand was generally 8-foot. I've also heard that in Raiders it was 8-ft but in the others it was 10-foot.

-KB :)
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Personally i think im turning into more of a 6 footer guy myself........
just alot more speed inherent in the shorter ones...

but... that being said... i do plan to get a bloody long whip one day..... im thinking 14 or 16 feet
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I've got a 10ft DM. I love it, but its got some weight to it and can be tiring. I think an 8ft model would be an excellent accompaniment.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

One must remember that although great movies, when it comes to the Indy movies, going "cannon" is not always best when it comes to whip work. Many here got their start from the Indy movies, but have moved beyond what Indy did and gon their own way with whips. Target cutting, stage shows, educational demonstrations etc. And as great a whip as a 10' Morgan is, it can't do it all. In the right hands it comes close, but there are other whips better suited to different tasks. And that is the joy of the whip world! :D
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Very good question!

I used to be a huge fan of 10 footers myself, but with time I realized that I was picking up my 8 footer more often than I was the 10. Simply put, the whip that you will enjoy using the most is the one that will become your favourite regardless of what's up on the screen. A 10' is impressive and looks great coiled up, but for actual use, to me an 8 foot bullwhip is the best of both worlds; I get morre reach than with the 6 footers as well as a nicer loop forming when the whip is thrown, and it's less tiring than a 10' whip.

I would say that's basically it.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Because I am 5' 2" and find cracking a 10' quite difficult. :[
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

8 foot seems to be the concensus for learning and gives a nice crack when proplery flexed, while I still use and like 8 footers, over the years my preferences have changed to a 7 footer for targeting and cracking along with a 9 footer for the canon cracks and general targeting as well.

Nothing wrong with 10 or 12 footers, there a lot of fun to, guess after you get into using your whip or whips, it doesn't take long to weed out your favorites, whipcracking and collecting are very addictive habbits I hear :) .

Cheers

Jim J.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I've always been curious about the "inbetweeners". I've only ever cracked a 6, 8 and 10 footer.
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

What are you all talking about? Until yesterday I only owned a 14 footer! Its great, easy to handle and makes one heck of a crack when done overhead! Yea it may take some effort and a little bit of time to wait for it to get in the right position, but once cracked you cannot help but grin from ear to ear! Yesterday I got a Krist King 6 foot nylon whip - its so tiny!! I call it the little squirt! Its so cute and makes a nice satisfying crack too! I just have to learn not to hit myself with it-its so short!

Bob
www.bobscranes.com

PS-I am also new and do not know any better!
Last edited by bobm2004 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

I guess the "traditional" lengths count by 2s.......... 6, 8 10, 12 etc...
but i really like the "tweeners"
a 6 footer is fun, but a 7 footer is nearly as fast but has more reach for targeting...
8 footers are nice, but 9 footers nearly as fast, but they give that long whip look.

I think one would have to be a HUGE expert to be able to look at a 9ft and a 10ft being thrown and tell the difference...
maybe im wrong...
Moreover, you even have tweens for the tweeners...... like the 6.5 footers etc...

IMO, whips are like golf clubs... ya gotta have a different one for different shots!
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Id be thrilled with a 9 foot that looked exactly like Indy's.
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

good to get so much feedback.

Matt :)
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Oddly, I find that I hardly ever use my 8' instead always going with my 10 footers. Maybe I am just more comfortable since that's what I learned on.

-Nebraska[/list]
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I started with an 8' IOAB because I figured it was long enough to be respectable but short enough to learn on. I have since learned that many of the cracking scenes in the film were done with 8' whips. Plus, Joe Strain himself recommended an 8' when I was contemplating something longer.

Basically, an 8' whip is practical, less expensive, looks good, is easier to use, and is screen accurate. It has it all! :whip:
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Matt, While 10 ft may be considered canon, Harrison Ford also used many other lengths for filming in the movies, especially 8fts. Since we have a lot more then just Indy fans using whips here, we tend to get more practical whip advice :whip: then strictly costuming advice in which for the most part 8ft bullwhips tend to be a better overall length for general all purpose whip cracking. Many find them more manageable and less intimidating then a 10 ft whip as well, especially when first learning.

Of course after you have been doing this long enough you can pretty much throw any length whip with in reason, with consistency ;-) :lol:

Dan
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

I seem to of had a run on tweeners just lately....If you'd asked me even a few weeks ago I'd of said I was a 6 foot man through and through.... 8)

I'm now I'd say a 7 foot kinda guy :lol: sent a crystal skull style 7 footer out last week and was devastated, I wanted to keep it bad :(

I'm loving these little fedora hat smiley men.........probably because I have a fedora on the way.....no danger of me becoming a gear head but I do love the hat and after sound advice offa IndianaG I've took the plunge... :shock: :shock:

Tony 8)
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

skinflint?

Post by enigmata_wood »

I'm not into the whips much [yet] but I thought I'd mention a very cheap 6 footer I bought in a costume shop for £4 [$8-ish]
it's uneven but hand made from real leather and yes I can get a loud crack out of it.
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

I start my adwenture with whip at 14' stockwhip made myself. Now I prefer 5'stockwhip (is like 7' bull) and very short bullwhips
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

I picked a 8 footer as my first roo whip mostly because of economics: I was already spending $450 on a novelty item (ie, something I really enjoy, but is not something I had to have). Adding another two feet upped the price betwee $100-150

Don't get me wrong. I love my Strain. It is a fine example of craftsmenship and I've had more fun throwing it in the backyard. But it is essentially a toy for me. I was already pushing it to buy a $450 toy. Another hundred and change put it beyond my toy budget. And I wasn't even sure at the time how much I'd realy use it.

Now, I'm planning on buying a 10 footer in a few years, if I'm still using the 8 footer as much as I am now.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I have both, my 10ft is a DM and my 8ft is a Louie Foxx KOTCS style --- I assumed a 10ft would work ok for me because of my height (6'5"). I have no trouble handling it, but the timing on a 10ft takes some getting used to.

The 8ft is just easier to crack and more accurate (if that's your bag).

I do like them both though, the 10ft crack is like thunder.
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

My use of the 8 footer is mostly dictated by the fact that I have my whips on stage a lot, either teaching stage combat or working them into various theatrical productions (right now, I'm training muleteers in Man of La Mancha). An 8 foot whip is really the longest practical length for stage work. It's long enough for cracks, wraps and disarms, but short enough that it can be managed without tangling on the set or other actors (!).

A lot of times, you only have room for a 6 foot whip, and almost never have room for a 10. The 8 is sort of happy medium for 80% of stage work.

But I like 'em all -- 6,7,8,9,10, 14....you name it!
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I remember seeing MoLM with Robert Goulet at the Opera House in Spokane. It looked as if they were using a 10-12' from the way it rolled out. One of my all time favorite performances.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I started out with a David Morgan 10-footer. It was an ebay purchase that was advertised as an 8-footer. I was looking for something that would be more manageable for learning (I do think that 8 is easier to learn on). I did quickly learn on the 10-footer though.

My second whip is a Kyle Shold 8-footer. As was mentioned above, a lot of us start out on Indy whips and then move from there. This whip was completely custom made to my specifications. It is an 8-footer, with a 10-inch handle, narrow diameter handle, and it cosmetically looks like a Raiders with the placement of knots.

My third whip is a Joe Strain 6.3-footer with a flexible 12-inch handle. I am currently waiting for it to arrive. I am very much looking forward to it. I am hoping to use it for target work, specifically I want to snuff candles.

So, as you can see, I started with Indy and I have moved into a more performance/accuracy realm. I still carry my Morgan when doing costume events, but my Shold has become my new favorite... I'm sure that will be replaced by my Strain soon enough.

Mike
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Well, my Strain whip arrived today. It is absolutely beautiful. One of the features I didn't mention in my last post is that it is 16-plait. It cracked beautifully in my living room; I can't wait to get it out in the open.

Mike