Was this a Morgan?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

genexs
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Was this a Morgan?

Post by genexs »

A friend told me about this auction. The whip is sold, auction over, but I was thinking of bidding on it. However, a few things put me off. First, I emailed the seller with some questions. He said he was not the original owner, but the original owner assured him it was a Morgan (Heh!). He also did not have a receipt from Morgan, and he never got back to me with the name of the original owner. He said the whip was one year old.

Does this whip look like a Morgan? At first pass it did to me. But the color seemed too even, like it was dyed. Whips usually just don't age that way. The fall looked beat-up, but not the whip itself! Also, I've always admired the rough or prehistoric look to David's whips, but the braiding on this whip looks a tad too even.

I've always been amazed at the knowledge base here, and how each detail and evolution of DM's whipmaking has been gone over and documented. So I figured some of you might like to take a look at it.

thanx,
Gene

http://cgi.ebay.com/10ft-David-Morgan-B ... 4278&_trkp
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Looks just like mine and has all the same documentation and "extras" that come with a current Morgan. That little book under the falls is a Morgan instruction book and it's the same tub of Pecard's. I don't see any reason why it's not one.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I think it's a Morgan.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

whiskyman wrote:I think it's a Morgan.
Assuming of course the picture was representative of the item shipped. :)

(and yes it looks like my Morgan)
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Looks pretty much the same as the one I got 6 months ago.

auction.........................................................................mine
ImageImage

Braiding looks the same - the color is slightly darker than mine, but that one on the
auction has seen a little more light and use. The fall looks fine - on a year-old whip,
I would expect a fall to show some wear, while the rest of the whip should still look
good. The color does look a bit more even, but that could result from the hides being
used. I'm no expert in this area, just offering up my opinion. All of the accessories
are the same as what I got. :junior:
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I say it's a Morgan, just not made by David, but made by Megan. David's plaiting used to be that smooth and even, but not during the last few years. Megan's work, however, looks a lot like the whip pictured.

The fall is just dirty, it's not really that worn. The scuffing you see is the fuzzy side of the fall. I have a Morgan from 2005 that I believe was made by Megan and it uses the same thickness of fall leather as the whip in the picture.

With the color, I think the pics have been photo-shopped or something and whatever process the person used changed the color slightly.

-Adam
genexs
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by genexs »

I want to thank everyone for chiming in. But now I'm having that 'one that gotta way" feeling. Heh! :)

Adam, what you have said about the difference between David's and Megan's work, and how that changed over time, explains a great deal. My black 10 footer, purchased about 5 years ago (but I'll have to check the dates), is a tight little monster and the plaiting is very even--it's one of the best whips I have. My 8 foot, purchased a few years before that is a little on the uneven side, and the plaiting toward the tip of the thong is a tad loose (not that it's bad, but not as tight as the rest of the whip).

Once again, thanx everyone.

cheers,
Gene
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

OHHHHHHH Yeah.......I think thats a morgan........No doubt.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Yep, looks like a DM to me.