DVDC's Wested LIMITED EDITION Veg Tanned Lamb Skull Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

DVDC's Wested LIMITED EDITION Veg Tanned Lamb Skull Jacket

Post by DVD Connoisseur »

After a nail-biting wait, it's here...arrived a few minutes ago.

This is an impressively heavy jacket - first impressions are that it's as sturdy as my Belstaff...

The jacket's slightly different to the one advertised as only the arms are satin - the body's cotton.

Will post the all-important "worn" pics as soon as I can.
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Now updated with some shots of the jacket being worn:

Difficult to believe this is lamb - this jacket is thick and heavy! :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That looks exactly like the 'Old Cow' Indy jacket that U. S. Wings discontinued several years ago. :shock:

I always liked that color.

VERY nice! :clap:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Nice looking jacket, I like the color too, I think it will aged beautifullly
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Another beautiful jacket! Congrats! :clap: I'm wondering if these pockets are the new standard for Wested... :-k
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Nice!.....For me, though, the color is a little too light.....it looks similar to that Russet color Buffalo jacket someone posted a while back.
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Many thanks for the kind words. I'm really looking forward to wearing this jacket - it should really age well and has a substantial feel to it.

Not sure why the inside lining was changed but the cotton body looks like it'll stand up to a fair bit of use.

Interestingly, the certificate states it is a "Last Crusade" jacket. Wonder if it's a hybrid of the two styles?

I'm very impressed with the quality of this limited edition - cheers, Peter! :D
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

DVD Connoisseur wrote: Interestingly, the certificate states it is a "Last Crusade" jacket. Wonder if it's a hybrid of the two styles?
Well, CS is basically a Last Crusade pattern.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

that is a very nice jacket, I wonder how many Peter is going to make, I thought I saw he only had enough for 5 jackets. I really like the color. Is it very thick,from the pictures it looks heavy and proably will be very warm
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

Nice,It screams "instant character" Bet it'll look gorgeous with some wear!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That is a really lovely leather, heavy and characterful. That should serve you very well in colder weather.

Could you please take a pic with your Belstaff to compare the colour and drape?

Looking at you pics it only seems slightly lighter in colour... I remember seeing the proto and everyone went "It's too darn light" but it doesn't really seem a million miles away from the colour they settled on in the end.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

jacksdad, I think you are confusing two different leathers. This particular leather has been in stock at Wested for some time now (1+years or so), the slightly green tinted Washed lambskin however, is new and only a very limited number will be made. Not to be confused though with Washed goatskin. :? which has no strange colors.

BTW - DVD Con, I think this leather is one of the most period authentic of the bunch, it's almost more "horse" than the horse is, if you catch my drift. That front view pic you posted looks very 1930s. :tup:

Doug C
Last edited by Doug C on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Too light for what? Nice jacket. Many would not agree, but Indiana Jones is more of a mindset than anything. The idea of this macho dude traveling all over creation in a lambskin jacket is laughable. Of course, I'm not a macho dude so I guess lambskin works. Huh? :wink: It's nice to see people that aren't limited in their thinking. Cheers
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

what a BEAUTIFULL jacket..

makes me wanting one!!!

LOVE the color..love it..

best regards
Holt
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

runquist wrote:
The idea of this macho dude traveling all over creation in a lambskin jacket is laughable.
Ok, I disagree because by all accounts this lambskin jacket that we're seeing pictures of in this thread is very heavy and tough, not like the really thin fashion lambskins. So if it was this type, which would be more authentic because of the tanning process or (as I've mentioned many times here) US Wing's New Zealand lambskin, then I don't think your statement fits - they're tough. Have you owned either?

Doug C
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Doug C wrote:runquist wrote:
The idea of this macho dude traveling all over creation in a lambskin jacket is laughable.
Ok, I disagree because by all accounts this lambskin jacket that we're seeing pictures of in this thread is very heavy and tough, not like the really thin fashion lambskins. So if it was this type, which would be more authentic because of the tanning process or (as I've mentioned many times here) US Wing's New Zealand lambskin, then I don't think your statement fits - they're tough. Have you owned either?

Doug C
This was an extremely stupid thread for me to make that statement in. I didn't even know it was lambskin, duh. :oops:

PS- As far as generalities go though, I stand by that statement. Functionality-wise everything lambskin can do, goatskin does better except for aesthetics, which is a matter of opinion.

pps- I'm familiar with US Wings lambskin. It's a much more hearty hide, but it still doesn't match up to other hides.
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Sincere thanks for your kind words - you've made my night! :D
Kt Templar wrote: Could you please take a pic with your Belstaff to compare the colour and drape?
Here are some pics of the Belstaff. As you will see, the Belstaff is more "fitted" than the Wested and is a more traditional brown. The Belstaff is also pre-distressed (albeit the distressing is quite subtle):

Mod Edit: oversized pictures

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... 150070.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... 250124.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... 0133-1.jpg

I haven't taken pics of the two jackets side-by-side but will do at some time.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Beautiful jacket. I love that veg tanned leather.
As you know I have a Magnoli made out of that and it breaks in and looks better than any other leather I've seen. It only gets better with age.
Congrats!
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

TheMechanic wrote:Beautiful jacket. I love that veg tanned leather.
As you know I have a Magnoli made out of that and it breaks in and looks better than any other leather I've seen. It only gets better with age.
Congrats!
Cheers! As soon as I opened the package and looked at the jacket, I thought of your Plissken. Veg tanned leather is just beautiful, isn't it? As Doug C says, it has a real "period" look to it.

I can't wait to start wearing it!
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

That Belstaff almost looks like an oil pulled leather, do you know the tanning method by chance. Sleeve length is much better IMO.

Rundquist - that's a pretty stuborn stance you have about the lambskin in view of the two examples I sighted, but then again you've recently bought a jacket of water buffalo so it doesn't surprise me. JMO.

Doug C
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

In all reality if Indy was a real adventurer in the 30's he probably would have had a horsehide jacket. It would have looked very much like the veg tanned leather.
I think your new jacket represents what Indy might have had. It'll take on a character all it's own.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

A side benefit to this leather, it goes great with the brass zipper. :P

Doug C
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Doug C wrote:That Belstaff almost looks like an oil pulled leather, do you know the tanning method by chance. Sleeve length is much better IMO.
I don't know how Belstaff produced their Indy leather but it's great looking and has lots of character and detail. Have to agree with you on the sleeve length, Belstaff products always have generous sleeve lengths which is useful when you're my height. The pics I've taken today are a bit misleading, though. The sleeves are a better fit on the Wested than the photos show - I think I must have been stretching my arms when the pics were taken!
Doug C wrote:A side benefit to this leather, it goes great with the brass zipper. :P
Doesn't it just? :D
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Hey Jacksdad and Doug C,

Wested still has this particular leather listed as a limited edition:

"This 'LIMITED EDITION' Special offer Raiders is made from expensive 'Veg Tanned Washed Lambskin' in chestnut worn look .9/1 mm thick.

The 1st prototype submitted by us for Crystal Skull was made from this.

There is only enough skin to make 5 jackets (approx). Not repeatable and made to order by size only in our UK factory."

Maybe it's been posted that way for a while though ... I hadn't been looking until recently.

I have one of these on order right now as I can't resist high grade veg.-tanned leather. I have a veg-tanned Horsehide A-2 made by History Preservation that is the richest, deepest chestnut color - I love it. It also just may be bullet-proof - much too stiff for the drape needed in an Indy jacket but good for an A-2.

It looks fantastic DVD Connoisseur and I can't wait to join you in proud ownership.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Ok, now I think I remember it reading that way too, now that you mention it.. but it has been available for about a year or so. However, I doubt they've sold many.. I can only think of one guy here that has one - Indiana G, I was going to be second but my CC wouldn't clear at Wested for some reason. So maybe they haven't sold 5 yet, the color turns alot of folks off 'cause they're looking to be SA.

Doug C
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I bet you're right. I've stuck to screen accurate color myself on my Westeds until this one... I really like chestnut colored leather. Even though it's thicker, it looks like it still drapes great on DVDC and I'm looking forward to it for the cool Chicago weather coming up.
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Cheers, Tibor, I think you'll be delighted when your jacket arrives. While the colour may not appeal to everybody, I think this is a really great "alternative" Indy jacket that should improve with age. It's also perfect for the colder months ahead.... :D
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

I was a little uncomfortable with the fit of the original jacket so I went down the custom route (which I didn't realise was an option for this hide). Here's my replacement:

I think the back of the jacket looks a lot better this time 'round.

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Yes, a lot better, congrats! :clap:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That's what I like to see, a jacket that was literally made for you.

Looks fab. I love that veg lamb, should have got a jacket made when I had the chance.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

That is a beautiful jacket. Like many others have said, I believe it will age well and only look better as time goes on.

Plus I hear the veg-tanned is the tank of lambskin.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Definitely a better fit for you - the back and sleeves look a lot better. I was going to have the sleeves taken up a little on my Raiders, but I guess they're 'supposed' to hang like that. I definitely did not like the look of the normally 'correct' sleeve (for coats in general) length of the first jacket. Congrats on a great acquisition! Now all you need are twenty years of adventures to break it in! :)
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Doug C wrote:
BTW - DVD Con, I think this leather is one of the most period authentic of the bunch, it's almost more "horse" than the horse is, if you catch my drift. That front view pic you posted looks very 1930s. :tup:

Doug C
I agree,that looks vintage straight out of the packet..great jacket DVD!,and perfect fit too! :tup:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

That second one is a much better fit. It looks very good indeed
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Much better fit.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I like the color, but I just don't think it is something I would wear. But it looks great on you! :tup:
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

MUCH better, like night and day, you really don't realize it until you see your final jacket and the nice fit. Good work on Wested's part and your part.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

:shock: !#@*^%!##!!! That is the nicest jacket I have seen yet!
Why didn't I see this thread when it started...? It's probably a good thing I didn't though- if I buy one more "Indy" anything, I'm dead!
-If I knew Wested had this, though, I would have gotten it instead of my HH, that's for sure!
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

jnicktem wrote:I like the color, but I just don't think it is something I would wear. But it looks great on you! :tup:
I agree, too light colour for me. But a great jacket.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The new fitted jacket looks much better. Good job. I’m going to have to disagree with anyone that says that the jacket looks similar to my G&B russet Expedition though. DVD Connoisseur’s Wested is clearly brown and my jacket is clearly russet (reddish). It’s just like an Indy fan to “dismiss” any non Indiana Jones colored item and then group them together ](*,). DVD Connoisseur will get more comments on his light jacket than he will on any “screen accurate” colored jacket, trust me. I know this from experience.

http://images36.fotki.com/v1296/photos/ ... 024-vi.jpg
http://images41.fotki.com/v1246/photos/ ... 035-vi.jpg
http://images41.fotki.com/v1267/photos/ ... 022-vi.jpg
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

Rundquist, you're absolutely right about reactions to this jacket. When I was out yesterday, there were quite a few swivelling heads as I walked past people. One guy was aiming to outdo Linda Blair in the rotating head department. So far, the reactions to both my other Indy jackets have been muted in comparison.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Hey there Connoisseur Dude, what were the deviations on the second custom jacket from the first, ie, what are the sizes, etc. The first one looks 'wider' in the back, as the second one looks more fitted and narrow; much better, but the first one looked like 'it fit' too.
Is that confusing enough?
Basically what I'm looking for is if I order one down the road (if my wife is away) I surely would want the fit to be as your second is for you.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

I think the sleeves were too short on the first jacket. :-k
Last edited by Indiana Strones on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed, Strones, and would only get worse as the sleeves rode up in the elbow over time.

Good choice to having another set of jackets made. :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

citRon wrote:Hey there Connoisseur Dude, what were the deviations on the second custom jacket from the first, ie, what are the sizes, etc. The first one looks 'wider' in the back
When I sent the 44" OTR jacket back, I asked for the sleeves on my custom to be an extra 2.5" longer and the jacket to be an extra inch longer. The way that the jacket fits was a pleasant surprise as I hadn't requested a narrower body. The custom jacket just seems to be a better cut overall.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Knowing that you have nothing better to do, ;-) can you take a pic wearing it zipped up?
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

citRon wrote:Knowing that you have nothing better to do, ;-) can you take a pic wearing it zipped up?
Will do when I have a moment.