Considering buying an AB Deluxe...Advice?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The Penitent Man
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Considering buying an AB Deluxe...Advice?

Post by The Penitent Man »

Hello,
Any input would be greatly appreciated

Is there any difference between an AB or AB Deluxe other than they are created by different hatters on different parts of the globe? I know they both use the same blocks,ribbons, liners and sweats...but are there differences in the Beaver felt and treatment by the individual hatters?

PLEASE POST PICS OF MARK KITTER CS FEDORAS IF U HAVE WITH YOUR INPUT.

Thank you kindly,

The Penitent Man
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

My advice is to get one. Marc's hats are tops!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

The AB dlx. has a softer, more dense felt compared to a standard AB. I believe that the sweatbands used in the AB dlx. is a different type of leather aswell. Both hats are great! I haven't owned a AB dlx., but I do have a standard AB and that hat is awesome! I'm sure the dlx. is just as good.

I'm sure Steve or Marc will chime in to fill in any gaps that I missed (and I'm sure I missed quit a few).
The Penitent Man
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Is that an AB you're wearing in your Avatar Indy89?...Awesome lid!!!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

It sure is! Thanks, PM :wink:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I have both and both are great hats made by masters at their craft. The delux beaver felt is the is the best there is. Marc also has a great sweatband that is the very top of sweatbands. You will not find a better hat made by anyone.
The Penitent Man
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks Bending Oak....u got a pic of your AB deluxe?.....would love to see a CS bash shot as thats the one im feelin
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

The best hat I have ever put my hands on, is my ABD from Marc. That's why, after my first ABD, I have ordered three more from him (not including the "Henry" I ordered too) since then. There are plenty of hat makers out there that have been doing it forever but have very little exposure. Most of them don't have websites. I've been to quite a few hat shops and inspected many hats. If you're looking for a great hat, there are plenty of options. If you want a piece of film history buy an AB. If you want a hat that has more thought, care, and love put into it than any other thing on the market than the only choice is AB DELUXE. Marc, adds personal touches to his hats that most people would never notice. He is always honing his skill and making improvements. That's what sets him apart. In fact, that's what sets Adventurebilt, as a company, apart.

So, my advice is. If you have the money, buy one. There is a reason you have never heard a complaint about one of Marc's hats. I am the type of guy that if I had a complaint I would voice it, and I have in the past.

ABD has cured my "Indy Hat fever".....only now I'm addicted to the medicine. :lol:
The Penitent Man
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Kaplan wrote:The best hat I have ever put my hands on, is my ABD from Marc. That's why, after my first ABD, I have ordered three more from him (not including the "Henry" I ordered too) since then. There are plenty of hat makers out there that have been doing it forever but have very little exposure. Most of them don't have websites. I've been to quite a few hat shops and inspected many hats. If you're looking for a great hat, there are plenty of options. If you want a piece of film history buy an AB. If you want a hat that has more thought, care, and love put into it than any other thing on the market than the only choice is AB DELUXE. Marc, adds personal touches to his hats that most people would never notice. He is always honing his skill and making improvements. That's what sets him apart. In fact, that's what sets Adventurebilt, as a company, apart.

So, my advice is. If you have the money, buy one. There is a reason you have never heard a complaint about one of Marc's hats. I am the type of guy that if I had a complaint I would voice it, and I have in the past.

ABD has cured my "Indy Hat fever".....only now I'm addicted to the medicine. :lol:
Thanks Kaplan,
Definately looking for the hat with the "thought,love and care" put in....would you mind posting a few pics of your AB Deluxe's?.....

P.S. If Marc is floating around in here...would LOVe to see a few pics of an AB Deluxe KOTCS style :D
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Kaplan wrote:The best hat I have ever put my hands on, is my ABD from Marc. That's why, after my first ABD, I have ordered three more from him (not including the "Henry" I ordered too) since then. There are plenty of hat makers out there that have been doing it forever but have very little exposure. Most of them don't have websites. I've been to quite a few hat shops and inspected many hats. If you're looking for a great hat, there are plenty of options. If you want a piece of film history buy an AB. If you want a hat that has more thought, care, and love put into it than any other thing on the market than the only choice is AB DELUXE. Marc, adds personal touches to his hats that most people would never notice. He is always honing his skill and making improvements. That's what sets him apart. In fact, that's what sets Adventurebilt, as a company, apart.

Ditto to everything Kaplan said. :tup:

I currently own 2 AB Deluxes and they are by far the best hats I've ever owned. The beaver felt Marc uses is the nicest felt I've ever laid my hands on. It's incredibly soft but it's also extremely tough. The kangaroo hide sweatbands are also remarkably tough and very resistant to shrinking. The service I got dealing with Marc was just as outstanding as the finished product. The best service I have ever received from any vendor in all my years in this hobby, hands down.

Here are a few pics of my two ABD's

This one I got last August, I bashed it Raiders style with a slight turn. Granted it's not a CS style, but it is from the CS felt run.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD101.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD075.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD090.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD105.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD119.jpg

This one is older, I got last June, and I originally bashed it Raiders style, but then decided to go for more of a loose-pinch, LC/CS style. I think it's probably a lot closer to the CS hat than LC, but this was not, however, purchased as a CS style hat (it wasn't blocked on a CS block).

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD002.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD008.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD013.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD001.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD015.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... ABD023.jpg

The prices are not cheap, but in my opinion, after many years searching for the right hat, and after many hundreds (probably thouands if I added it all up now #-o ) of dollars spent on hats that didn't cut it in one way or another, the AB deluxe from Marc is easily worth every penny. If it is the only hat you ever buy, then it will be the only hat you'll ever need.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Considering buying an AB Deluxe...Advice?

Post by Piker »

The Penitent Man wrote:Hello,
Any input would be greatly appreciated

Is there any difference between an AB or AB Deluxe other than they are created by different hatters on different parts of the globe? I know they both use the same blocks,ribbons, liners and sweats...but are there differences in the Beaver felt and treatment by the individual hatters?

PLEASE POST PICS OF MARK KITTER CS FEDORAS IF U HAVE WITH YOUR INPUT.

Thank you kindly,

The Penitent Man
The Dollar is gaining on the Euro and I can put you in touch with my mortgage deptartment regarding a home equity loan.
senkusha
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by senkusha »

Kaplan wrote:.... If it is the only hat you ever buy, then it will be the only hat you'll ever need.
That is great advice, and I followed it the other day, as I placed my order for an ABD, my first and probably only fedora I'll have. So far, Marc has been very generous and kind in his emailings. Now, to measure my head to get the whole processes of waiting 14 months begun! *evil cackle* (sorry) LOL
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

here you go.

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

How much are the ABD's? thanks.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Texan Scott wrote:How much are the ABD's? thanks.
399.00 EURO (about $584 bucks)

They are certainly not cheap by any means, but if you're a frequent hat-wearer and you don't want to keep spending dough on cheaper, "expendable" hats that can't handle lots of heavy, real world wear, then the ABD is well worth it. :tup:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

GCR wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:How much are the ABD's? thanks.
399.00 EURO (about $584 bucks)

They are certainly not cheap by any means, but if you're a frequent hat-wearer and you don't want to keep spending dough on cheaper, "expendable" hats that can't handle lots of heavy, real world wear, then the ABD is well worth it. :tup:
I'm glade I'm not the only one who understands that wisdom of buying a great high quality hat once and not spending money on a bunch of low quality hats. You will end up spending more money than you would have if they just went to the higher end hats.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

senkusha wrote:
Kaplan wrote:.... If it is the only hat you ever buy, then it will be the only hat you'll ever need.
That is great advice, and I followed it the other day, as I placed my order for an ABD, my first and probably only fedora I'll have. So far, Marc has been very generous and kind in his emailings. Now, to measure my head to get the whole processes of waiting 14 months begun! *evil cackle* (sorry) LOL
That's the same advice Kaplan gave me on the ABD, which I ordered 2 weeks ago. Luckily I was able to get a Camptown while I wait. :D
The Penitent Man
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I guess the ABD is the winner...now to plunk down the dough and play the waiting game......thanks for the pics of the Penman CS Bending Oak...nice hat my friend.

"14 Months"....Marc's wait time is that long?....I figured by now the Movie Buzz tapered off?
senkusha
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by senkusha »

When I was emailing him the other day, that's the timeframe he gave me. I guess it could always be worse.....
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

The Penitent Man wrote:......tapered ......?
He said the word!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The Penitent Man wrote:I guess the ABD is the winner...now to plunk down the dough and play the waiting game......thanks for the pics of the Penman CS Bending Oak...nice hat my friend.

"14 Months"....Marc's wait time is that long?....I figured by now the Movie Buzz tapered off?
Thats not my hat, Thats Marcs ABD.
The Penitent Man
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Oh.sorry Bending Oak
..well it does look like a helluva nice lid!!!....I figure...After watching the featurette on idiana Jones.Com on the Hats...and seeing how sturdy and beautiful the AB's were when Ford was handling them...the price just didnt become an issue anymore. I want the real deal that i can wear and enjoy for years. And I already have My Mag HJ by fedora so I have that end of the spectrum...and now i'll have Mark's Work in the fashion of the film he worked on.

Thanks for all your help and input guys..I appreciate it