Need a quick answer (Akubra)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Need a quick answer (Akubra)

Post by Aggie »

I'm ordering a Fed IV. My head measures 57.5 cm. I'm planning on giving the hat the Raiders Turn and bashing it off-center. Am I going to need a hat that measures larger than 57.5 cm? Or will a hat that measures 57.5 cm give the proper brim distortion without it being too tight on me?

Thanks!
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

They don't actually come in 0.5 cm increments. You'll have to get a size 58 (because you don't want a too-tight hat). Don't worry about the hat being a half size too big; your Fed will come with some foam sizing tape that you can tuck in between the sweatband and liner to give your hat a snug fit.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Actually, ichnob, there are actually size differences between each individual hat. A 58 could be a small 58 or a large 58... That's why I'm having them measure a hat that will fit my ad perfectly.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

That's true. Based on their website though, the drop down box only gives just the hat size measurement. However, since they do say that their hat sizes tend to run a little large, it's safe to assume that most of their sizes are actually "large" 58 (using your post numbers as an example).

Either way, since you do have your exact head measurement, might as well shoot Ron from hatsdirect an e-mail. He's really nice and responds really fast. While he does post here, it'll be faster to ask him that way. In the meantime, hopefully someone could answer your question better than I can. :oops:
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

I think there website says that the latest batch runs a bit small..
If you take a 57, order a 58 to be safe, but as mentioned the safest thing is to flick'em off an e-mail.
Their service is A1
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

also bear in mind that depending on how you use it, it may shrink a tad with wear... my akubura (regular, not delux) has been through a lot (very hot/cold/wet/dry conditions) and has tightened a bit though i prefer a tight fit (it can sit loosly on your head or be pulled down for windy conditions) the last thing you want is for it to go sailing off with a gust of wind....
FtrPlt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FtrPlt »

Just follow the sizing instructions on their site and send your exact measurement. If they have questions, they'll e-mail you. I've purchased two Fed 4s and while the initial fit was a bit loose on one of them, both shrank slightly to a perfect fit.

I measure a 56 and was tempted to order a 57 because of the published info that these run small. Hats Direct recommended a 56 and that's what I ordered. I would defer to their recomendations. They know their hats. Super customer service.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

I already contacted Hatsdirect before I posted here. Ron's out of the office for the next day so in the meantime I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 57.5 or larger in order to turn it.

Should I go with an exact 58 then if it's going to shrink?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

By reports from actual owners of the Fed IV, they run slightly large, even though Ron says they run small. I'd wait to get sizing comments from people who actually have one.

That said, if the hat is too big, the turn will not work. However, remember that when you turn the hat it will be less comfortable until the hat breaks in.

As for shrinking, all hats with a leather sweatband will shrink if you're not careful. Get a hat jack if you think you'll sweat a lot or if the hat will be getting soaked. What will happen (and some call it shrinking) is that an Akubra will slowly conform to the shape of your head, and the gaps will go away.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i ordered the same size i ordered in a fed 3. the fed 4 arrived with a perfect fit....then the sweat shrank to a really snug fit. not uncomfortable but pretty snug.

dimension wise, i find the fed 4 to work more like a short brimmed LC than a raiders....on my face that is.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Thanks, I'll probably just order in my size then. I can get a hat stretcher if I need it.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Aggie wrote:
Should I go with an exact 58 then if it's going to shrink?
IMO yes.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Darth, when you send in an exact head measurement to Hatsdirect, you're not going by the sizing chart.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Please ask us for advice if you are unsure, customers who take the time to check with us have very few problems.
They MEAN this, taken directly from their website.

Regard! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I received a Fed IV, size 58 this past Thursday, used the chart mentioned in the link above, and it is a good fit. It is just a tad loose, but after breakin, etc. it should be just right. The foam tape is also included, and should bridge the gap in the interum.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Texan Scott wrote:I received a Fed IV, size 58 this past Thursday, used the chart mentioned in the link above, and it is a good fit. It is just a tad loose, but after breakin, etc. it should be just right. The foam tape is also included, and should bridge the gap in the interum.
One thing you can do to tighten it up is dip your finger in some water and rub it over the leather sweat band. Then place the hat over a lampshade (with the light on :wink: ) and let it sit for 20+ minutes. Take it off and put the hat on, it'll be nice, toasty and snug.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The instruction letter that is included with the order from the hattery says, "All felt hats, including the Acubra hats will shrink a little over time, so a little larger is better...the inside sweat band will settle down with wear."
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

when i recieved my size 59cm fed IV it was a little slack on my head and i measure up at 59cm. however all it takes is about a week or so wearing it in and it fits perfectly now. the way i see it is its the same as buying a new pair of shoes. when you first get them home they dont fit that well, but after a few days to a weeks worth of wear there perfect :)