Removing the black grip on the FBI .38

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Removing the black grip on the FBI .38

Post by Mark Brody »

http://www.shortyusa.com/airsoft.html?h ... 8&CA=&RID=

I was looking into the FBI revolver a few people have here, but I noticed that the people here have removed the black part of the grip as well as the orange tip. How did you do this?
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

You just pull. It pops right off.

:)

Easy-Off oven cleaner will take off the orange paint, then I'd repaint the whole gun.
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

The foregrip is held in place by a tab at the base that goes through a slot in the grips. You can remove it by simply pulling on it as WinstonWolf suggests, but if you want to remove it without risk of damaging it (in case you might want to put it back on later) all you have to do is remove the grips, and it'll fall right off.

I got mine from Speedy Toys before they sold out, and the "orange tip" was nothing more than an orange plastic "plug" inserted into the barrel, not painted. I grabbed mine with some needlenose pliers and gave it a good yank, and it came right off.

IMO, for anyone who can't afford (or doesn't want to spend the money for) an actual Smith & Wesson, Airsoft's FBI .38 is a great alternative. It may not be 100% accurate compared to the sidearms in the films, but a little creative painting/weathering goes a long way, and most people wouldn't know the difference anyway. And even though it's mostly plastic, Airsoft has added weights under the grips to give it some heft so it doesn't feel like a plastic gun. And considering it's priced the same as or less than most static resin replicas, you can't go wrong.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Zombie Jones wrote:The foregrip is held in place by a tab at the base that goes through a slot in the grips. You can remove it by simply pulling on it as WinstonWolf suggests, but if you want to remove it without risk of damaging it (in case you might want to put it back on later) all you have to do is remove the grips, and it'll fall right off.

I got mine from Speedy Toys before they sold out, and the "orange tip" was nothing more than an orange plastic "plug" inserted into the barrel, not painted. I grabbed mine with some needlenose pliers and gave it a good yank, and it came right off.

IMO, for anyone who can't afford (or doesn't want to spend the money for) an actual Smith & Wesson, Airsoft's FBI .38 is a great alternative. It may not be 100% accurate compared to the sidearms in the films, but a little creative painting/weathering goes a long way, and most people wouldn't know the difference anyway. And even though it's mostly plastic, Airsoft has added weights under the grips to give it some heft so it doesn't feel like a plastic gun. And considering it's priced the same as or less than most static resin replicas, you can't go wrong.
what type of paint would you suggest for the FBI .38 to change from silver to black?
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

My favorite paint job for guns is to first put several thin coats of Testors Model Master "Gunmetal" Buffing Metallizer, followed by a coat of metallizer sealer.

Then spray several thin coats of Krylon BBQ Black, lightly buffing each coat before moving on to the next.

Then lightly rub the gun down with very fine steel wool, which polishes the last coat of BBQ black, but also exposes some of the underlying gunmetal finish.

You could skip the steel wool and let holster wear do the work for you, too. Either way you end up with some pretty good results.