Satin sleeves, Holy body lining...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Satin sleeves, Holy body lining...

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Okay, maybe that should be 'holey' body lining.

(Basic topic to stay inside the rails: durability of Wested LININGS long term, based on old jackets.)

Anybody else got a Wested w/ COTTON lining that has held up more than four years, AND is worn nearly continuously?

I ordered my wested...er...gosh, FOUR years ago??? (Yeah, it was. how time flies.) For the lining, I got satin sleeves and cotton body. (easy slip on the sleeves, body stays in place w/o moving.)

This has worked like a charm for four years...except...I'm hard on stuff, and although the satin in the sleeves is still in almost perfect condition, the cotton lining in the body is mostly SHOT. I've got large holes in many places from wear and tear.

Does anyone else have a Wested with cotton lining that is four years or more old, was worn daily for most of the year, and the cotton has held up? Or is the cotton lining really only good for a few years of continuous use before it gives up?

I figure this is a long-term use question, and maybe if ALL the cotton linings burn out after a while it's a consideration for getting complete satin linings next time.

Perhaps since satin is smoother it experiences less friction and lasts longer?

I can do pics later, but I figure they aren't necessary for the question.

I guess for that matter, anyone got a Wested with a SATIN lining that is holding up more than four years with nearly continuous use? if not, maybe no linings can be expected to last that long.

(P.S. This is NOT particularly relevant except to explain the level of wear and tear I experience: people ask me what I did to distress my jacket. The answer is nothing, I'm just...er...clumsy...or adventurous, take your pic. I have adhered to the Michaelson School Of Natural Distressing...if somewhat accelerated due to high wear and tear.

It's lambskin, and REALLY showing the age, although I have no holes or tears in it per se. One side seam is unraveled almost 9 inches, I keep meaning to sew that up but haven't gotten to it. Both cargo pockets have finally started to unravel a the back corners closer to my hips. It has a LOT of friction wear all over it, but some areas do still have shine from less contact. Like I said, I'm hard on stuff, and worn it pretty much daily 9 months of the year for four years.)
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I've heard that satin can cause the jacket to slip off your back, and I imagine that it might tear just as easily. I really wouldn't know how well it'd hold up, but if friction is the enemy, less friction could be even worse. I'd hate to think of the jacket staying completely still while I moved around....

-KB :)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

lets see Jerry...

I got my wested lamb about 4 months ago...cottom bod and satin sleeves...have been wearing it pretty often...

and yep!...one big hole in cotton body!

Holt
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

My Wested is probably about 2 years old, and I haven't noticed any holes in it. Of course I'm a little bit careful with my jacket (though not careful enough to look paranoid), but everything looks fine there. :-k

Shane
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The all satin lamb I posted a pic of recently had small vertical 1" worn through slits at the edges of the back flap by the time I had the lining replaced after 2 1/2 years near daily wear. It probably had another year's of life in it. I'm perfectly happy with that.

Satin is a very comfortable lining IMO, it's like a nice quality suit jacket lining, it's a bit like having your jacket lined in silk PJ's!

I chose cotton this time just to try it.

Peter charges £20 to do, so you could be able to get it done locally for that or less and also save on shipping fees.

You might try the nylon that Holt recently had put in his new LC jacket. Holt what do you think of that nylon? Does it feel strong? Does it feel breathable?
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I have a Wested all Cotton lining that I've had for about seven years now (Holy Cow! 2002 was SIX years ago?!? :shock: ) and my lining is pretty much worn to threads. The seams of the sleeves have come undone and I tend to slip my arm through the lining now, rather than the sleeve :lol: and I have some smaller holes around the bottom of the liner. I'd have it fixed but:
A.) I'm broke
B.) Even though it's summer, I just can't seem to part with it for a while - despite that fact that it rests on a valet
C.) I justified not repairing it because it adds to the charm of the jacket...the outside is distressed, why NOT the inside too :roll: :lol:

:wink:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

4 years + here too and there's a hole/rip where it hangs over my bag and a smaller one on the corresponding right side, but nothing on any other places from normal wear. The satin lining did "fall out" of my sleeves though, I guess from the sleeve wrinkling. :lol: Nothing I couldn't fix myself though.

Regards,
Swindiana
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

lining

Post by YARVTON »

Four years of daily wear would get you from Pearl Harbor to VE-Day. Who could ask for anything more?
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

Last month sold my Wested Raiders jacket, which I bought in 2000. After 8 years of regular wear, the cotton lining still looked brand new. And I always carry my cell phone, and frequently my pistol, on my belt (I have a valid carry permit). This did not effect the lining in the slightest.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

8 years of regular wear

Post by YARVTON »

I suspect some problems have to do with the sort of daily wear. Is it daily wear down the Amazon, or just the Concrete Jungle?
Lord_Clarence
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lord_Clarence »

I've got four years of (seasonal California) wear, and no issues with my cotton lining.

LC
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Wow, a whole slew of useful answers - thanks, folks!

Okay, so there is some variation, but my experience is not completely atypical. Some of you do get better mileage...maybe less clumsy than me, maybe your regular wear is less trying for one reason or another. And some have even seen 'erosion' in their cotton liners SOONER. (sorry, Holt!)

Even the satin has some reported wear and tear after long stints - mostly related to seams, so we are talking about stitching not necessarily lasting as long as the satin liners, but still some holes may occur. It's a short sampling so far, but it sounds like they get less ratty over time than the cotton.

Good observations, though - the inside is as worn as the outside, amen. And yep, thanks, KT, I could re-line it, but I kind of like it slowly going to #### (but still serviceable) inside as well as out. I'll hate to lose those inner pockets, though! :D

Yarvton, thanks for that bit of perspective - four years from Pearl Harbor to VE Day. Yeah a valid point...it's done two tours of duty already. That is a trooper, the liner did it's duty already. :tup:

Thanks, folks. I'm happier w/ my rattiness now :D, and pretty sure next time I'll go for all satin, even w/ the possibility of moving right out from under my jacket. I have a genetic tendency to broad shoulders, so I'll take my chances with that. ;)