I know this is irrelevant but....

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I know this is irrelevant but....

Post by PLATON »

anybody can recommend online shop or ebay seller (PM me) where one can buy authentic and cheap Rayban Aviator sunglasses?

Answer only if you know seller is guaranteed please.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I think US Wings sells them,you could try there.
darthinvictus
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthinvictus »

I believe american optics make the ones that u.s. pilots are issued and they are about 35.00 a pair which is much cheaper than raybans and more authentic imho
I would only use raybans for wayfarers or clubmasters
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

C'mon, nobody can point a trusted US seller of Rayban?
We're are all the Americans here?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

PLATON wrote:C'mon, nobody can point a trusted US seller of Rayban?
We're are all the Americans here?
You did ask for CHEAP Raybans. In America, only knock-offs are cheap. 8)
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

I have a USED pair of Rayban Outdoorsman Aviators if you are interested?
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

There are no "cheap" Ray-Ban resellers in the US. I looked for a pair of aviator for three months and found that the lowest price was right at $100.00 (but, most were at $110.00). Instead, I went for American Optical (which I had before). They are the "real" aviator sunglasses and they go from as low as $40 to up near $100 depending on the options that you get (frame color, lenses, temple style, etc).
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

As all of you know Ray-ban aviator are now made in Italy, as the Ray-ban brand is property of Luxottica since 1999. If someone is interested I have a vintage original made in USA Bausch & Lomb aviator frame (no lenses) for sale. I think is from the 60s or 70s. 8) 8) 8)
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

There are no "cheap" Ray-Ban resellers in the US. I looked for a pair of aviator for three months and found that the lowest price was right at $100.00 (but, most were at $110.00). Instead, I went for American Optical (which I had before). They are the "real" aviator sunglasses and they go from as low as $40 to up near $100 depending on the options that you get (frame color, lenses, temple style, etc).
They sell for EUR130 here so please indicate who is the $100 seller.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

jacksdad wrote:I think US Wings sells them,you could try there.
You got one of your best answers right out of the gate there. Since you did ask for authentic aviators, I'll expand on this one. (If you really JUST want RayBans, skip this, but I sincerely doubt you'll get them cheap, unless you are getting fakes.)

As for authentic aviator classes, again, the US Wings tip was true: US Wings (a US seller) sells American Optical WWII Aviator Glasses, also made in the USA. Not RayBan, but true articles from the SAME contractor that made them during WWII!

>>> http://uswings.com/sunglasses.asp <<<

These are not hugely expensive, but not 7-11 cheap either. They are going for around $50. Considering RayBan Wayfarers now go for ~$130 (I was in a Sunglasses Hut in Southern California checking them out yesterday) and most of the aviator style frames in the store were still at least $80, this is a DEAL.

The only hesitation I've had to buying these at all so far is what they call a 'subtle US Wings logo on the left lens'. If this is etched in (doubtful), there is no getting it off. But if it's a surface paint logo as I suspect, it will easily scratch off. BUT I haven't plunked down $50 to prove it to myself.

Anybody bought a pair of these and can comment on them?
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

P.S. I just dug around on the American Optical site ( http://www.aoeyewear.com ), and I can't find this model frame. The closest I can get to are still somewhat different, aren't available in the same lens/temple color pieces, and are also more at $70-$80, so this IS a deal US Wings has.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

American Optical glasses are less expensive just about everywhere else besides the American Optical website.

J Peterman
Flight Jacket
Optics Planet

I went through Optics Planet because it offered more options than the other non-factory direct places, and less expensive that going through American Optical.

As to the US Wings glasses, the ones at the top of the page are made just for USW (this probably includes the frames). The next ones down, AO Original Pilot Sunglass® Standard US Military-Issue, are the period authentic sunglasses.

Also, Optics Planet has Ray Ban Aviators from $90 (for the Outdoorsman) to the $108 (for the Large Metal II). These were a little lower a few months ago when I was looking.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

jacksdad wrote:
I think US Wings sells them,you could try there.

You got one of your best answers right out of the gate there. Since you did ask for authentic aviators, I'll expand on this one. (If you really JUST want RayBans, skip this, but I sincerely doubt you'll get them cheap, unless you are getting fakes.)

As for authentic aviator classes, again, the US Wings tip was true: US Wings (a US seller) sells American Optical WWII Aviator Glasses, also made in the USA. Not RayBan, but true articles from the SAME contractor that made them during WWII!

>>> http://uswings.com/sunglasses.asp <<<
Thanks, but I never asked for American Optical. Furthermore, I don't think AO was there supplying sunglasses to airmen of the WWII. The US Wings site says that in 1958 they started. Instead, I have seen photos of WWII pilots wearing Raybans and also a Rayban ad of the period. Also AO don't have the vintage look that Rayban have.

Let me add also that I have 3 pairs of AO since 1990.

Let me clarify also that when I asked cheap I didn't mean fake. I meant on offer on sales etc.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Then it looks like if you're stuck on getting only the Ray-Bans, that you'll have to PAY for the Ray-Bans. And if you're so determined to have the real thing, then find an original WWII pair and be happy to pay what you can for them. It sounds like you want champagne, but only want to pay for beer.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

And please go back to the part where I said IF YOU ONLY WANT RAYBANS, SKIP THIS. Man, somebody tries to help you just in case, you throw rocks? Thanks.

Bink, I'd like a beer, please. ;)
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I got a pair of Ray-Bans on eBay for like 60 bucks, but that was like last year. It was a place located in California, if I get my history from paypal I can find the place I bought them from. I would do business again from them. I was looking for polarized sunglasses and found a pair. I do have an extra pair of RayBan sunglasses I would be willing to part with, maybe your interested. You can PM me if you want to know anymore about the glasses PLATON.

IndianaChris
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Then it looks like if you're stuck on getting only the Ray-Bans, that you'll have to PAY for the Ray-Bans. And if you're so determined to have the real thing, then find an original WWII pair and be happy to pay what you can for them. It sounds like you want champagne, but only want to pay for beer.
??????????

What original pair? What champane? I asked for cheap. My financials are not right at the moment. I am on the deck of the TITANIC. (And I still haven't sold not even 1 pair of pants).
And please go back to the part where I said IF YOU ONLY WANT RAYBANS, SKIP THIS. Man, somebody tries to help you just in case, you throw rocks? Thanks.

Bink, I'd like a beer, please.
??????????

What rocks? I want only Raybans but I thought I had to reply to you for what reasons I didn't want AO.

Finally, I gotta say I appreciate your sense of humor guys.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey IndianaChris711,
Thanks for the offer. Would you happen to know the difference between the 3044 model and the 3025? Don't try to find the answer on the net. There's too much misleading info there. Just answer if you already know.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

PLATON wrote: I asked for cheap. My financials are not right at the moment. I am on the deck of the TITANIC. (And I still haven't sold not even 1 pair of pants).
No offense, PLATON, but maybe you haven't sold a pair of pants because folks want cheaper prices on trousers as much as you want cheaper prices for sunglasses. My point is that if you are so set on having an exact pair of Ray Ban Aviators, then you should be prepared to pay for them, whether it means you save up your money or accept the patience required to find the rare deal.

What's more, AO did provide government contracted aviators in WWII, so Ray-Ban isn't the only one with historical provenance. After WWII, the Ray-Bans remained popular with the Naval aviators, but the Army/Air Force aviators developed a preference for the smaller, more-squarish straight-temple glasses American Optical designed in the 50s, since they could be put on and removed even while wearing a flying helmet. So if you're after the authentic look from a specific branch of the military at a specific time, then you need to make sure you're after the right sunglasses. Still, if you want WWII, AO is legitimate.

Regardless, if you do find the Ray-Bans you are after cheap, then more power to you. Just don't expect the search to be any easier in that department.