Jacket Color??

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Jacket Color??

Post by Heyjude7 »

What is the correct jacket color or faded colors? ive seen dark jackets and light jackets and horribly distressed jackets but i can never find a perfect jacket color to match the movie.. i feel that my new wested authentic goat is too dark.. does anyone else feel this way? i like the color of the old cooper disney jackets

anyone? 8)
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"correct" jacket color

Post by YARVTON »

How many people have been driven insane by this very question?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

What I want to know is there anyone who's happy with their own jacket and anyone who doesn't want some jacket other than their own. Perfect is a made up idea.
david villa
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by david villa »

Raider S wrote:What I want to know is there anyone who's happy with their own jacket and anyone who doesn't want some jacket other than their own. Perfect is a made up idea.
OOOH OOOOH!!

Me, me, me....

I am very pleased with my Todd's jacket, I can't wait for it to wear in and get that "New Car Smell" worked out of it.

I may even order another in a larger size so I'm ready when I hit my 40's growth spurt. :lol:

dv
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Raider S wrote:What I want to know is there anyone who's happy with their own jacket and anyone who doesn't want some jacket other than their own. Perfect is a made up idea.
Me as well. I have a custom Wested Raiders in Novapelle, and I can't wait for the weather to get cooler so I can wear it. But then, I wasn't looking for something that was 100% screen accurate, so...
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Jacket Color??

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Heyjude7 wrote:What is the correct jacket color or faded colors? ive seen dark jackets and light jackets and horribly distressed jackets but i can never find a perfect jacket color to match the movie.. i feel that my new wested authentic goat is too dark.. does anyone else feel this way? i like the color of the old cooper disney jackets

anyone? 8)
Depends on the movie, really, doesn't it? ;)

In my own opinion, all four movies had different colors to their jackets. Still, the jackets in the first three movies look somewhat similar, and an Authentic Lamb from Wested, which was color-matched to a leftover Raider's swatch, would be the closest for the first three movies.

The first three movies also had jackets that varied in color as well, even for each movie individually, as you have to consider that unlike manufactured materials, leather color just differs from batch to batch, and within the batches themselves!

If you're talking about the fourth movie, then what Tony Nowak offers right now is pretty much the same kind of leather (but not the same batch) that he used in the movie. Nowak himself even states that the color of the leather is identical (or at least in the same range) as the leather used in the movie.

Taking the Indy saga into account however, what you see is not always what you get. The Indygear community is obviously no stranger to having the camera, lighting, filters, etc distort what they see. Just take the old brown/gray fedora argument into account! ;)

At the end of the day, no matter what one recieves, it just won't look right. The movie will make it look too dark, the behind the screen shots too light. Perhaps the best advice is to get a sample of Authentic lamb if you want a Raiders, or take a trip to the Smithsonian if it's the LC jacket you're after, or perhaps even request a sample from Nowak for the KotCS jacket. And if you're gut instinct still tells you this is not the jacket you're looking for, then simply go with which color looks the most Indy to you, because this is simply an argument that you will never win!
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

...an argument that you will never win!

Post by YARVTON »

Particularly when the argument is among Me, Myself, and I. It's all so deliciously neurotic, though. I wonder if there are any psychotherapists specializing in treating "Indy-fan-disorder"?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Yeah, from the photos I've seen, I agree the color on the old Cooper jackets was about right, maybe a tad light but pretty good.
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Man, this is the ultimate jacket question, and like it was said, good men have been driven insane pondering this.

Castor pretty much hit the nail on the head...each movie had a different jacket, different distressing, that sort of thing.

Looking at the Wested Raiders (which, IMHO, is still the Indy jacket by which all others should be judged), you will see it is offerred in Authentic Brown. This is actually a kind of chocolate color, and if you hold it up against a scene from Raiders, you're going to shake your head and say "that's not the same jacket!".

Well, it is, and it isn't. Leather colors have changed since that jacket was made by Peter Botright. Matter of fact, leathers change from run to run for jacket manufacturers all the time, even in colors like black and dark brown. Also, Harrison Ford's Wested was given a treatment of all different kinds of stuff (mink oil, shoe polish, steel wool, wire brush) to darken and distress it for Raiders. For this reason, a lot of people are disappointed when they receive an Authentic Brown Lambskin from Wested.

When I first asked this question quite some time ago, several of these Gear Gurus told me that I would probably be much happier with a Wested Raiders in Dark Brown. So, I got one, and I was very happy with it. To me, the Dark Brown is the color I see when I look at the jacket in the movie.

Like Castor was saying, it really depends on YOUR perspective. What looks right to you is what matters, because that's what you're going to be happy with. I've got a Wested, a Todd's Standard, and a US Wings Limted Edition. All three from different manufacturers, and all three very different colored jackets. Which one do I like best?

That's another question that's impossible to answer.

My best suggestion is to scour this forum for jacket photos. You will find at least one picture of every kind of Indy style jacket out there.

Good luck!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

WELL said! :D

HIGH regards! Michaelson
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

You're right, I'm pretty happy with my CS Jacket and wouldn't change anything on it.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I love my seaplane grey jacket.....completely screen accurate color :wink:
indygr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indygr »

HeyJude7, I can tell you that my new Authentic brown lambskin approx a month old is very close on what is viewed on screen, both when seen with the eye and when shot with the camera. The dark brown lambskin sometimes becomes very dark almost black when shot with a camera.

It has the correct contrast with the hat also...of course it depends also on the colour shade of your hat.

However, in order to achieve a dead-on accuracy, the authentic brown lambskin should be distressed and artificially aged.

Indygr
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: ...an argument that you will never win!

Post by CairoIndy »

YARVTON wrote:Particularly when the argument is among Me, Myself, and I. It's all so deliciously neurotic, though. I wonder if there are any psychotherapists specializing in treating "Indy-fan-disorder"?
It's incurable :( :wink:
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

It's incurable.

Post by YARVTON »

Probably just as well.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The video/dvd editions all have different coloring. There was a widescreen vhs edition that came out a few years before the first dvd and those had colors that were very cool-blue. I wouldn't even worry about it beyond getting something that you like.
Last edited by Rundquist on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Rundquist wrote:I wouldn't even woory about it beyond getting something that you like.
Man I wish people would listen to that one!

I like my jackets a bit on the dark side - not totally black but where you know its neither brown nor black. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!