My Very First Bullwhip (with Pic)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My Very First Bullwhip (with Pic)

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Pictured below is a whip in 1. a length that is a little unorthodox in its length and 2. with a handle foundation that is an unusual length.

Use your best deciphering skills to deduce 1) the length of the whip and 2) the length of the handle foundation. Extra bonus points to anyone who can also tell me who made this one, for what it was made, and how old the whip was when this picture was taken.

Also, does anyone know of any other whips out there with these specs?
Last edited by Mannie Bothans on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Length 6.5 feet, handle 10 inches, made by Whiskyman? That's my guess :D
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

JMObi wrote:Length 6.5 feet, handle 10 inches, made by Whiskyman? That's my guess :D
One right answer, two wrong. Fantastic guesses, though!
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

This is fun Mannie :-)

Let's see:

1. I'd say it is 7 feet long.

2. Handle looks like 10 inch, with the ring knot located at the 8 inch mark.

3. It was made by "The Machine" i.e. Joe :-)

4. The whip was brand new and the pic was taken by Joe.

I must admit that I remember you had ordered a Strain (your first whip) and you were undecided about the length: 8 ft or 6 ft. So there's a bit of cheating on my part I guess :lol:

Lovely whip, congrats!

Bernardo
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

JMObi nailed the length exactly, and Bernardo nailed the maker and timeframe. It is exactly 6.666 ft long from the very furthest tip of the handle to the end of the point.

Joe finished this whip today and I should have it in my hands by Friday night.

Would you believe he's sneaked an 11-in spring steel handle into that 6.5 footer? I know most would say it is a sacrelige to do that to the handle, but don't blame Joe, blame me-- that's just what I ordered.

The keeper/ring is, as Bernardo noted, right at the 8 inch mark.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What a whip!

Post by Mannie Bothans »

I was feeling better today and took the whip out for a little cracking. It took me a while to remember everything Gery, Paul, and Lauren taught me. I couldn't get a simple cattleman going. My son was watching me fail again and again (due to my own bad form, of course) and he said, "Dad, I thought whipcraking was going to be less boring than this." So I pulled this whip into a circle around my head and reversed the direction for a huge POW! He said, well maybe it's not so boring after all. After that I got the slow figure 8s going like you wouldn't believe.

Thanks again, Joe. What a whip!