Akubra Fed IV Deluxe Vs. AB Henry

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Akubra Fed IV Deluxe Vs. AB Henry

Post by Fink »

We are two guys (MustangLoverMex and me) thinking to buy our hats together on a relatively limited budget, under this budget limitation basis what hat you would go for? Both are about the same price, right? But which model is better? Which one do you think will last longer? Which one is more comfortable? Which one will you go for? And must important, why? :lol:

So, what gives? :roll:

P.S. Or should we give Penman Hats a try?
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

Any help or comment will be trully appreciated!
Many thanks in advance!

-Alfonso :D
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I thought the Henry was a bit more expensive...

-KB :?
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

As a mere newbie, albeit one who has a Camptown Legend on the way, take my advice with a grain of fuller's earth, but I would POUNCE on the Henry without a moment's hesitation. A chance to own a hat that may have been made on the same block as the Raiders fedora by the same company that actually produced hats for a movie-- I'd go HENRY all the way.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Yes, I'm pretty darn sure that the Henry is quite a bit more expensive than the Fed Deluxe.

-KB :)
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Mannie Bothans wrote:take my advice with a grain of fuller's earth
OK, that’s hilarious! You really brought a good laugh to me tonight! :lol:
Kentucky Blues wrote:Yes, I'm pretty darn sure that the Henry is quite a bit more expensive than the Fed Deluxe.
The AB Henry is 165 Euro incl. worldwide shipping for fellow COW'ers.
( viewtopic.php?p=447311 )

The Fed IV Dlx is AU$168.50 plus the Shipping and Handling.
OK, the AB it’s more expensive, but I still think the same price range, right? :?:
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

No, Euros and Australian Dollars are incredibly different. In US Dollars, the Fed Deluxe is $163 plus shipping, and the AB Henry is $262 including shipping. Including airmail shipping, the Fed Deluxe is about $199 USD. So, for me anyway, the Henry is about $63 more than a fed deluxe.

-KB :)
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Kentucky Blues wrote:So, for me anyway, the Henry is about $63 more than a fed deluxe.
That was MustangLoverMex´s calculation that he did for me half an hour ago...

A Penman Hat is $250.00 (For COW members) + shipping, but it’s a pure beaver.

But hey, you haven’t shared which one would be your personal choice! (Let’s say you have good enough loose for any of those) :wink:
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Me, if I had that kinda cash, I'd be going for a Henry. But I think I'll just go with a Christy's Adventurer, lol.

-KB :D
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Kentucky Blues wrote:Me, if I had that kinda cash, I'd be going for a Henry. But I think I'll just go with a Christy's Adventurer, lol.
Great hat and great chose! I have mine and I’m really happy with it! :tup:

MustangLoverMex on the other side is for his first Indy hat, so...
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I have a question tough... The AB Henry is the one that was actually on the screen?

Thanks,

McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

No, sir - that's the regular AB. The AB Henry is the cheaper alternative to the one that was on screen; made of high quality materials just like the other one, and the same brand, and even bashed the same way (unless it comes open crowned? I don't remember...), but not handmade. Close though! :wink:

Shane
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks Shane :D ... and we'll as you may all know, i'm newby in the Fedora subject so i have another question... 8-[

The AB Henry uses the open crown block? Because i read that its made in a machine... so... how is bashed?

Thanks.

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

MustangLoverMex wrote:Thanks Shane :D ... and we'll as you may all know, i'm newby in the Fedora subject so i have another question... 8-[

The AB Henry uses the open crown block? Because i read that its made in a machine... so... how is bashed?

Thanks.

The machine issue has nothing to do with bashing. Some hats, be they hand made or not, are made on an open block. Others use a shaped block that has the bash in it already. Thus, the henry would arrive open crowned, and the own bashes it himself. Unless they plan to offer bashing services, which I haven't read anything about so far.

Did I answer your question?
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Ohhh... so they're open crowned, i thought that they arrived with the bashed shape already done... :oops:
Thanks very much CJ! :D

-Alfonso
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Akubra Fed IV Deluxe Vs. AB Henry

Fink wrote:We are two guys (MustangLoverMex and me) thinking to buy our hats together on a relatively limited budget, under this budget limitation basis what hat you would go for? Both are about the same price, right? But which model is better? Which one do you think will last longer? Which one is more comfortable? Which one will you go for? And must important, why? :lol:

So, what gives? :roll:

P.S. Or should we give Penman Hats a try?
If I didn't own an AB already, with two more on the way, I would buy the Henry without hesitation. The Henry will be a better hat overall than the Fed IV Deluxe. It has beaver in the felt, so it will be a notch above. If you can afford it, it's the way to go.

Personally, at this point in my hat life, I don't have need of a $250+ factory hat (even if it IS an AB). As a result, I'm torn. I think I want one more Indy hat, but several great options have turned up, on top of some older ones I haven't tried; Those Penman's looks really nice, but I've always wanted to try a Camptown. And now the Fed IV! It's all too much! I'm drowning in choices!!!!! ](*,)

Anyhow, Akubras are well worth the money. The best of the factory made options aside from the Henry.
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:It has beaver in the felt, so it will be a notch above.
This is exactly what I believe Chewie, but still I’m wondering: Akubra claims that the Fed IV Deluxe is made from a very selected fur from a specific part from the rabbit (I really don’t want to know what part that is), the Henry is a blend, but is this from a regular rabbit/beaver fur or a selected one as well? If it’s from a regular kind, does the % of beaver fur really can stand against the very selected fur from the Fed IV Deluxe? :?:

Why life isn´t easy not even when it comes choosing your next hat? :lol:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Fink wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:It has beaver in the felt, so it will be a notch above.
This is exactly what I believe Chewie, but still I’m wondering: Akubra claims that the Fed IV Deluxe is made from a very selected fur from a specific part from the rabbit (I really don’t want to know what part that is), the Henry is a blend, but is this from a regular rabbit/beaver fur or a selected one as well? If it’s from a regular kind, does the % of beaver fur really can stand against the very selected fur from the Fed IV Deluxe? :?:
That is a really well thought out, perfectly targeted question, Fink!

The Fed deluxe is indeed made of better rabbit fur. The felting and finishing are higher quality than most rabbit felts.

Now, I don't know if the Henry's rabbit fur will be of the same type as the Fed IV's, but the more beaver fur that's involved, the better. Marc has assured us that the beaver content will be high enough to make a real difference, not just a tiny bit so they can say it legally. I think Marc has proven himself trustworthy, so I believe him.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The Henry is 20% beaver, if I am not mistaken. That makes for one beast of a hat. No rabbit fur, no matter where it is taken from and no matter what you do to it, will stand up to a 20% beaver blend. That is that. If I had to choose one, and I made this choice a few weeks ago, it would definately be the Penman. It is pure beaver and handmade. Granted, no one on COW but Bending Oak has tried out the Penman, but they sure look great. I went with the Penman and am eagerly awaiting. You will end up spending about $50 less than the Henry. The Henry has the advantage of possibly being made in the same factory and from the same block as the Raiders hat, but my money is still on the Penman.

Dave
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

My advice: sink your money into the penman hat. I have two AB's and love them dearly, but frankly, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a factory-made hat that's only 20% beaver. For that kind of money I think your hat should really be either hand-made or 100% beaver, if not both. With penman hat co. you have the chance to invest in a completely new business and be one of the first people to get one from BendingOak in his exciting new venture. If I had any money right now, and was in need for a hat (I don't think I'll ever need any more than 2 Indy hats, especially when both of them are AB's), I'd go for a Penman. :junior: -M
Digger
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Digger »

And...you might want to contact Lee Keppler and request pictures of his new fedora. I'm getting one out of the first batch. He also has the gray KOTCS train hat.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I have a Keppler and can atest to its craftsmanship. It is a fantastic hat and at a great price. I know the new Keppler will be a hit and a good choice. It is a beaver blend so it is a more durable felt than pure rabbit felt. My vote, however, still goes to the Penman; you can't beat Oak's price for a pure beaver.

Dave
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Relatively Limited Budget

Post by YARVTON »

Just to add more confusion, what about Camptown for a factory hat? And why not Jimmy Pierce for a custom? Penman should be grouped with Adventurebilt and the other custom hatmakers. And though Penman MAY be wonderful, it would be nice to see some feedback on an actual hat in order to fairly compare it to the other offerings.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Relatively Limited Budget

YARVTON wrote: And though Penman MAY be wonderful, it would be nice to see some feedback on an actual hat in order to fairly compare it to the other offerings.
I'm sure the Penman hat company shares that sentiment. Now if only the suppliers would cooperate! I have a feeling, though, that the reviews are going to be very encouraging.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Federation ALL the way....
Akubra have been making hats for 134 years.

You'd learn a bit about hat-making over that time, I'd reckon.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

darthbish wrote:You'd learn a bit about hat-making over that time, I'd reckon.
As far as Akubra is concerned, I'm in agreement. But the hat world knows no absolutes. Look what time has done for Stetson!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
darthbish wrote:You'd learn a bit about hat-making over that time, I'd reckon.
As far as Akubra is concerned, I'm in agreement. But the hat world knows no absolutes. Look what time has done for Stetson!

Good point but I think akubra is still a good hat for the money but knowing Marc the way I do. He is one picky SOB and I say that with the highest regards. His factory AB "the Henry" will be nothing but quality. If I where going to put my money in a factory hat or any hat for that matter the Adventurebilt line will always be on the very top of my list.