Official Factory Produced KotCS AdventureBilt Fedora (Henry)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

@ichnob: Thanks for the quick answer! Is there any chance to get it already bashed?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It only comes open crowned. Don't worry, bashing aint that hard. It is part of the fun.

Dave
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Ok, perhaps I'll really try it. :)

Question: Once I've bashed it, if I'm not satisfied, is it possible to start again i.e. push out the bash again to make it open crowned and re-bash it? Or does the bashing leave crinkles and I have to have the hat reblocked before re-starting? As I know myself, I probably won't be satisfied with the first try...

And: The Henry does have all the right specs for a Raiders bash, doesn't it?
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Yes, you can rebash the hat as long as you don't put any hard creases in (which is the general rule when first bashing your hat). Put in some soft (i.e. not too deep) creases and presses for a light bash, and see how it looks on your head. Then, if satisfied, start working on it a little more; or if not satisfied, pop out the bashes, reposition your hat, and rebash as necessary.

Also, yes, the Henry should have the right specs for a Raiders bash since it's using the old AB Raiders block.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Just spoke to the hatter, who's sweatin' bullets over getting the details right on the various hat sizes 8)

We're talking 5 gramm more or less felt here per rawbody Gentlemen, so I'm QUITE confident that we're raising the bar of pickyness on a factory made hat :D

Regards,

Marc
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

ichnob wrote:Also, yes, the Henry should have the right specs for a Raiders bash since it's using the old AB Raiders block.
Actualllly to clear up any confusion, the factory is not using any AB blocks. Neither Steve's "Old Raiders" block or the "New" block aka: CS Block. Rather the factory found an old block of their own that Steve and Marc found close enough in shape to the "old Raiders" block that they went forward with that. It might even be the block that the actual Raiders hat started out life on. :wink: But, I digress...anyway that's the deal with the blocks. :D

Johnny
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

You're right Johnny. And we now have an exclusive on that particular block 8)

Regards,

Marc
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Whoa! That is awsome. I hope that didn't cost you too much. :wink:

Dave
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Marc just to bring up the question again what will the liners look like on the Henry?

Cheers
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Johnny Fedora wrote:Actualllly to clear up any confusion, the factory is not using any AB blocks. Neither Steve's "Old Raiders" block or the "New" block aka: CS Block. Rather the factory found an old block of their own that Steve and Marc found close enough in shape to the "old Raiders" block that they went forward with that. It might even be the block that the actual Raiders hat started out life on. :wink: But, I digress...anyway that's the deal with the blocks. :D

Johnny
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Could we call this a new AB block? :wink:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Plain white satin liners as the ones we used for CS 8)

Regards,

Marc
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

SA liners then!!lol....now how to die them that goldy colour?!?!? :-k :lol:

Cheers
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Don't wash your hair and sweat a lot in them. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

EEEEEWWWWwwwww!! :shock: :-0

Regards! Michaelson
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

Marc wrote:Plain white satin liners as the ones we used for CS 8)

Regards,

Marc
You mean there wont even be a logo on the liner? :? :(
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

No logo on the liner is correct. We wanted to offer a hat that will mimik the look of the screen used CS Fedoras down to the VERY last detail.

Since the liner on the rocket slade wasn't golden, I'll leave it up to you guys to rip it out and tint it golden with hair dye spray as Bernie did 8)

Regards,

Marc
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Hi Marc,

Do you have an eta on the first batch???

:) Excited!

Jason
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Yes, of course. The first hats will be shipped late July. Then in August the factory will be closed down and up again in September.

I spoke to the hatter today, as he called me up to ask which sizes he should gear up for. When I told him the sizes and numbers, I could literally HEAR him sweatin' :lol: I'm probably not completely innocent on that one, as our specs. means more work than usual on a factory hat. However - and this is something where other factories that we spoke to lacked - he's PROUD to be making ABs. He's proud of the product and he's proud to please. And that means a lot to Steve and me. If you're not working with passion and pride, it won't do. And that why this guy got the deal.

Regards,

Marc
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Marc wrote:No logo on the liner is correct. We wanted to offer a hat that will mimik the look of the screen used CS Fedoras down to the VERY last detail.

Since the liner on the rocket slade wasn't golden, I'll leave it up to you guys to rip it out and tint it golden with hair dye spray as Bernie did 8)

Regards,

Marc
Marc, i think the liner on the rocket sled was gold....can't remember which thread i saw it on.......######! where's VP when you need him? :lol:

i think this is all quite exciting. can't wait to see everything up and running and these beauties on people's heads.

cheers,

g
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Hi! It's me and my funny questions again... :D Just to clarify one thing: If this is a "blended fur hat" and 20% is beaver than what's the other 80%? Rabbit? (I know, but I'm really new at this...) :oops:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Correct, it's usually rabbit.

Regards! Michaelson
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Thank you! I seem to be getting into this... :D
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Marc since the factory will be closed in August is there any chance you could give us a deadline to have money in? so we can get the hat before the factory closes for august and get delivery for late July/

Cheers
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I'll call up the hatter on monday and see how many he's able to make until they close for August.

I guess it also depends on when exactly the rawbodies arrive.

Regards,

Marc
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

I'll try to order one as soon as possible. First I'm going to England this week and when I get back I'll ask my brother if I can use his paypal account as I don' t have one.
If my headsize for a Federation is 59, will it be okay to order that size for the Henry aswell?
how do you shape this hat? with steam or water?
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Marc mentioned in the Venders section that he would not advise to shape AB's of any kind with either steam or water...just shape it dry with your hands should do the trick. That's fine you've got the measurement so it should be all good!! :D

Cheers
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

thanks for the info! Just what I wanted to know.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Marc, I would like to know whether hats will be shipped to us directly from the hatter or by you. Thanks.
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Dry Bashing?

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Hey Guys :D

I know that there are a lot of folks that say be wary of steam but
frankly, if it weren't for steam I'd never achieve the bashes and brim adjustments that I have and enjoy.

I appreciate, the non-steam mentality but with all the overly flat brimmed hats I've been seeing, I just don't see how you could ever get the look you
want. :-k Unless you have the ideal flange to rework the brim, it means steam and your thumbs.

Not to be contrary...just my opinion.
Cheers
Kilgour
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I use steam too, old friend....from a pan of boiling water. That's all I've ever used, and no problems. I'm not sure how you can activate the stiffiner in the felt without it, but whatever. So, you're not the Lone Ranger! :D

Regards! Michaelson
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks Keemosawbe

Post by Kilgour Trout »

How are you Mr. Michaelson sir? :D, It's been too long to say the least my friend.

As for bashing, I likewise can't see an efficient way to activate the stiffener otherwise, I'd say, BUT... hmmm.....I thought it was always so steamy down your way that all you had to do was reach up and tweek? :wink: :lol:

Hey, one day..I'll get down your way and do all my adjustments before flying home. :D besides, I've got to see the Old Plymouth at least once eh.

Warm Regards
Kilgour

P.s. I'll drop you a line to catch up soon.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good to see you as well, old friend. I'm hanging in there.

Yep, it is usually in winter I have to pull out the old steam trick to make it work. It's kind of 'easy' this time of year. :lol:

Looking forward to hearing from you!
:D
HIGH regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hey, who let HIM back in? :lol: I find a good rain storm is perfect for helping me shape a brim. Works like a charm. :wink:
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

binkmeisterRick wrote: I find a good rain storm is perfect for helping me shape a brim. Works like a charm. :wink:
I second that notion. Works like a charm, indeed.
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Hi Marc,

anything new from the hatter yet, regarding production and delivery of The Henry?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

We got the confirmation that the felt will arrive in three weeks and that they're ready to start production as soon as they arrive :D

As stated earlier, the manufacturer will shut down in August, so for orders comming in from now on, they'll be made after their holiday. However, since we're among the first priorities on their list, they'll get them done in timely manner. Once the first and second batch are out the doors, we're looking at turnaround times of a few weeks - not bad for an AB if I may say so 8)

Regards,

Marc
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Ragin I was hopin to have this lid by the end of august and I'm ordering tomorrow!!lol...sure she'll have plenty of adventures not to worry :lol:

Cheers
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Thanks Marc. That means, everyone who ordered before today is in the first batch to be shipped in July? Delivery of the felt in three weeks means around 23 July. That leaves them with one week of production time before summer holiday. I hope they can keep what they agreed on with you and won't let quality suffer because of time problems! :? How many hats are we talking about here for the first batch? (If that's not a company secret.) :)
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Quality is absolutely first priority!!!!!! Don't worry about that 8)

Regards,

Marc
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

:D Cool!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

I think we're real close to deciding my son's name (due end of August). So I gave the ultimatum that his first name be "Mason", with the suggestion of his middle name being "Hamlin." Mason and Hamlin is one of those hallowed piano manufacturers, in fact my favourite brand. (get it?) Anyways, "Hamlin" just can't stand muster, and I relented, and allowed my wife to pick the middle name.

So Saturday, she tells me that someone suggested Henry. This other woman's son is a huge Indiana Jones fan, and my wife was trying to show that she had a bigger fan in her family (and evidently the conversation ended up at how my daughter, Kayley's, middle name is Fedora which came to me in a fit of inspiration while browsing a site very much like this one. So this angelic woman suggested "Henry" would be really cute for the boy.

MY SON WILL BE NAMED AFTER INDIANA JONES.

My first fedora was a Peter Bros that my wife got me, the first Christmas after my daughter was born. I'm thinking a Henry is order this year :)
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

And another newbie enters the fray…

I have been reading COW for some time now and this thread is the reason that:

a) I ordered a ‘Henry’
b) I became a member of COW

My wallet is already complaining that I should have done this the other way around, but I tend to silence it by saying that the chance of having it before the factory closes for the summer vacation is worth the extra Euros.
So, my first post is about my first Indy hat and the first hat I will have to bash myself (still a bit anxious about that one :roll: ).

Marc, I never expected to hear from you so soon after I e-mailed you (just 6 minutes :shock: ). The ordering itself has been an extremely pleasant experience all by itself, and I think we got the ‘e-mailing each other simultaneously’ down pretty well :wink: .

I wish it was august already.

Geert (for those who don’t speak Dutch, it’s pronounced something like ‘geared’, coincidence or a sign for things to come? :wink: )
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Okay, then I'll wait to order it after their holiday. September it is then. :wink:
I need some new sunglasses anyway cos I lost mine last year... 8)

and welcome Geert. welkom Geert :D
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Dankuwel Doctor_Jones. Als Brabander vind ik het altijd plezierig om met Vlamingen te doen te hebben. :)

But enough Dutch for today :wink: . It's really great to finaly be a part of all of this. :)

Regards, Geert
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

wow, it surprised me that I read some Dutch on this forum. haha! thanks for that. But yes, just keep it in English here as the majority of the men and women here don't understand Dutch.
back on topic now... :D
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I just got a note that the rawbodies won't be done before August, where the factory that makes The Henry is shut down :( So the first hats unfortunately won't leave before early September :cry:

Regards,

Marc
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

that's bad news Marc and for the guys who are waiting for this great hat.
Oh well, just a little more patience and everyone will be a happy camper. I'm sure it will work out alright, only a bit more time.
High regards!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

That's too bad Marc, but it's only a month's delay.

I have a feeling that the attention to detail concerning things like the thickness of the rawbodies will make it all extremely worthwile. :)

Regards, Geert
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

It seems we wili receive the Henry together with the AB Aldens... :D
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

PROUDLY presenting the Raiders Flying V made to our specs on The Henry :D

Regards,

Marc