The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Oddly enough, even though the Fed IV is perfect for the Raiders bash, a large number of people actually haven't been doing that. So here's another Raider's bash for the the pile. Even though I've been here for a long time, this is actually only my 2nd Indy fedora. My first was an old Fed, which I was never able to perfect, but 10 non-Indy hats later and plenty of bashing practice has gone a long way, that and the Fed IV's block is better.

Here's it open crowned.

The Fed IV's an excellent hat, but lets talk about some cons to it. Felt wise you can tell it's a tough hat, but it's a bit too rough. Definitely needs more pouncing. That or I'm just too spoiled by my awesome vintage hats:) I also think the "knot" of the ribbon could use a bit of an overhaul, as it just seems too wide. The simplicity is nice, but I honestly thought the original Fed had a much cooler bow.

Man, that sweatband's something though. It's pure butter! On an interesting note, I also just notice the wad of paper towel I used to make it fit a bit tighter has gone missing, but I also noticed my hat suddenly fits better without it. I didn't do the lampshade trick either, just a bit of water on the sweat and a bit of wearing it in allowed it to conform.
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Thanks, guys, you're very encouraging. :)

I am quite happy with the crown, but haven't done much about the brim yet. It is remarkably resistant to change and just seems to snap back to it's original shape, regardless of how much I twist and turn it.

I used steam on the front part of the brim in order to make the downward slant permanent, but I don't really know how to go about shaping the sides and back of the brim. Any suggestions?
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Yeah, the brim and the crown for that matter are just tough sons of... Instead of using steam, I've preferred to bash hats with cold water. Just spray, or dab water onto the brim and you should be able to work with it a bit better.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

Marcus Brody wrote:Oddly enough, even though the Fed IV is perfect for the Raiders bash, a large number of people actually haven't been doing that. So here's another Raider's bash for the the pile. Even though I've been here for a long time, this is actually only my 2nd Indy fedora. My first was an old Fed, which I was never able to perfect, but 10 non-Indy hats later and plenty of bashing practice has gone a long way, that and the Fed IV's block is better.

Here's it open crowned.

The Fed IV's an excellent hat, but lets talk about some cons to it. Felt wise you can tell it's a tough hat, but it's a bit too rough. Definitely needs more pouncing. That or I'm just too spoiled by my awesome vintage hats:) I also think the "knot" of the ribbon could use a bit of an overhaul, as it just seems too wide. The simplicity is nice, but I honestly thought the original Fed had a much cooler bow.

Man, that sweatband's something though. It's pure butter! On an interesting note, I also just notice the wad of paper towel I used to make it fit a bit tighter has gone missing, but I also noticed my hat suddenly fits better without it. I didn't do the lampshade trick either, just a bit of water on the sweat and a bit of wearing it in allowed it to conform.

thats a very nice bash indeed, the swoop on the brim looks great, iv been doing a little work on my brim to get that classic swoop, il try get some pictures up later
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

so heres a few pictures iv been doing on the brim

this picture shows the snap back brim at the back down as sometimes i wear it that way :)
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I highly suggest moving back the side dents a bit more. This will help square up the front view.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

iv tried but it just keeps springing back really should iuse a little steam to set the back a little more?
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Cold water or steam's somewhat necessary with the Federation, because it's such a tough hat. Cold water's somewhat of a better option though, due to less chance or causing taper in the hat. You'll also be able to shape the brim way easier, because otherwise it's near impossible.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

quick question.

how is the standard quality and the felt compared to the Deluxe federation? what will the differences be with them when worn over time?...

thanks
Holt
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Marcus Brody wrote:Cold water or steam's somewhat necessary with the Federation, because it's such a tough hat. Cold water's somewhat of a better option though, due to less chance or causing taper in the hat. You'll also be able to shape the brim way easier, because otherwise it's near impossible.

thanks! :)

up to now the hat has been very easy to shape and the swoop on the brim has realy come along on its own with very little work put the pinch is very difficult so i may try a little cold water tomorrow and see how i get on :).

actually today is the first full day i wore the hat while out shopping in town i didnt get one strange look lol i was very suprised :D

the hat was so comfortable and even though it was a very hot day the hat didnt make me feel to hot at all and really kept me cool under the hot rays of the sun. i was praying for some rain too to get the hat wet lol :D
Fedora_Fanatic88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Fedora_Fanatic88 »

Hi everybody! I'm new here, and just thought I'd say that all these hats look awesome and make me want my Fed IV even more. Within the next few(and LONG) days, mine will come in(hopefully) and I'll join you all as a proud owner of a Fed IV.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Welcome, I'm a new member too. You won't be disappointed with your Fed IV, I've had mine for awhile and is starting to fit nicely, great looking hat. This is a good group of people who will be willing to help you on your quest.
Fedora_Fanatic88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks for the welcome Soup. This place has already helped me and taught me quite a bit by the way. It was because of this thread right here that I decided on a Fed IV, :D ...the price of the Fed IV also played a small part in my decision, lol.
Fedora_Fanatic88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Ok, my Fed IV finally came in today! :D I'm having a little trouble with the bashing, but I'm still working on it. Here's the progress so far:

ImageImageImageImage
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

i have a question: why is the lining inside the hat white? its annoying, i took my german shepherd puppy out for a long walk today and its a very muggy day in the uk today. so of course you sweat and with this the sweat gets onto the white lining inside the hat and stains it...so why make the lining white? why not brown or black so it wouldnt show the staining as much?

silly question i know but it bugged me so i thought id ask :)
Fedora_Fanatic88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Hopefully I won't have the same problem. Maybe my thick hair will soak up most of the sweat, lol. Here's another pic of my hat BTW, I think I finally got it bashed the way I like it:

morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

ARGHH! help!! i got some water on my hat today (must have been when i was out walking it did drizzle with rain a little) anyway i put my hat to one side to dry and when iv looked at it theres a stain!!!

its difficult to see in this photo because of the flash but iv done the best i can to single it out so you can see it
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Had the same problem when I used cold water to bash my hat. Just get the rest of the hat wet to match it. Please see this thread.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

thanks, i cant believe it to be honest i thought these hats were built to last, not to dis colour when a droplet of water gets on it lol
Brettsinclair
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Brettsinclair »

hi all !

i'm a newbie here .i read that post and i bought a fed 4 dark brown cause it looks great ^^
but unfortunately on 12th june they told me they were out of stock and my hat is still on backorder :(
can't wait to have it ^^

and thanks to the bashing tutorial and all advices about any part of indy's gear
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Marcus Brody wrote:I highly suggest moving back the side dents a bit more. This will help square up the front view.

I agree. The dents should be back more to get a boxy look and nice humps. Too round right now.
Nobody
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nobody »

Brettsinclair wrote: but unfortunately on 12th june they told me they were out of stock and my hat is still on backorder
What size were they out of?
Brettsinclair
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Brettsinclair »

Nobody wrote:
Brettsinclair wrote: but unfortunately on 12th june they told me they were out of stock and my hat is still on backorder
What size were they out of?
hi nobody the size i ordered is 57 i think i pretty common ^^
Kladd
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kladd »

It will not be so long to have your size in stock again ...
I had the same "problem" ...
1 week later, I received a mail to tell me they are in "progress" ...
It was a very nice & smooth experience to buy with HatsDirect ...
Jenny & Ron are so nice & pro ...
I LOVE my Fed IV dlx ...

~§~
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Kladd wrote:It will not be so long to have your size in stock again ...
I had the same "problem" ...
1 week later, I received a mail to tell me they are in "progress" ...
It was a very nice & smooth experience to buy with HatsDirect ...
Jenny & Ron are so nice & pro ...
I LOVE my Fed IV dlx ...

~§~
is that normal? 1 week later for those ho have ordere the fedIV

I ordered 1 on friday last week...havent heard anything back from them...just an automatic response....

bests
Holt
Fedora_Fanatic88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

I had to e-mail them in order to get a response(aside from the automated one), so I wouldn't worry about that too much. By the way, I got my hat about a week and a half from the date my payment cleared.
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

Here's my Regular after about a month of wear. It has already seen quite a bit of action, like rainstorms and blistering sun.

ImageImage
ImageImage

As you can see, there's some nice reverse taper going on. I also decided to put more of a backward slant in the bash than usual, which adds drama to it, I think... :wink:

This is how it looks on my skull.
Kladd
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kladd »

Indiana Holt wrote:is that normal? 1 week later for those ho have ordere the fedIV

I ordered 1 on friday last week...havent heard anything back from them...just an automatic response....

bests
Holt
Sorry about the delay ... :oops:
I don't know what to tell ... Maybe I was lucky ... ? ...
Anyway, do you have any news for your hat now?

~§~
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

after some heavy rain here in the uk i decided to take the chance and bash my hat alittle. i pushed back the dents a little as suggested and made the pinch tighter. im not to happy with the brim however...opinions welcome :)

FtrPlt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FtrPlt »

Finally got around to taking some (pretty poor) photos of my hat. I ended up using a slight turn to the left (about 3/4-inch) rather than to the right so the bow actually moved rearwards slightly.

I've had my hat about 2 weeks now. I initially had to use all the sizing foam to get it to fit properly. After some use, it's snugged up nicely and now there's just a small piece of doubled-over paper towel under the front part of the sweatband.

The bash is still a work in progress. Not going for a particular look. I'm inclined to let it develop on its own although I will try and make the front pinch a bit tighter.

I've worn the hat on a 3-day hike through the mountains and it's accumulating the usual dirt/dust and scuffs that you'd expect. This was always intended to be a field hat so I'll be able to report on durability over time. I generally try and hike or climb at least once a week so the hat will definitely see a lot of use.

Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

morethanatimelord wrote:...im not to happy with the brim however...opinions welcome :)
I think it looks great! The crown on these Feds bashes pretty easily, but the brim take a bit more finesse, especially if "the turn" doesn't work for you (which is what happened to me). I've had mine for about a month now (I think) and I'm still tweaking it here and there. Time and a little TLC work wonders.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Zombie Jones wrote:
morethanatimelord wrote:...im not to happy with the brim however...opinions welcome :)
I think it looks great! The crown on these Feds bashes pretty easily, but the brim take a bit more finesse, especially if "the turn" doesn't work for you (which is what happened to me). I've had mine for about a month now (I think) and I'm still tweaking it here and there. Time and a little TLC work wonders.

yeah your right. a good drop of rain works wonders for the brim i think too :) best advice i could give to any new fed IV owners is dont be afraid to wear it out in the rain :)
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Hello,

I've been lurking for quite some times and now I've just registering. Last week, I just got my first fedora, a Federation IV std. It's my first bash and I didn't go for any particular looks. I hope it comes all right.

Image Image

Image Image

Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

Just got mine in today and all I can say is WOW :shock: This is by far the highest quality hat I have ever seen! All I had ever owned were toy or vintage hats before, and this certainly puts all of them to SHAME!

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

congrats.I got mine today too.

I already bashed it in the CS style.

is your a deluxe?

here is mine..its a standard

bests
Holt
Kladd
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kladd »

Nice one Indy Holt...

~§~
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

Indiana Holt wrote: is your a deluxe?

here is mine..its a standard
It is indeed a Deluxe!

Congrats on your hat as well! Looks great! :clap:
Nobody
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nobody »

Here are a couple pics of my Fed IV standard

-Phil
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

nice!

how do you get the pinch to sit that thight?

bests
Holt
Nobody
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nobody »

Thanks, your's looks very nice as well.
I sprayed it with a little bit of cold water.
-Phil
manu7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by manu7 »

well mine arrived yesterday and on my birthday no less really love the hat a big step up from a crushable dp

morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

beautif sunny day in the northeast of england so me and the girlfriend went to the beach with our little puppy, petra

Colorado Craft
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Colorado Craft »

I just ordered my fed thursday night and I am so excited for it. I just need to decide which way to bash it? Raiders or CS? Now I play the waiting game.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I would say CS.

it has more body to the crown.so a CS bash will look very good on that hat.

you have seen my raider bash...and allthough it looks pretty good it still needs a little more slimmer height like the Christy's and off course the AB has.

just my 2 cents

Holt
Last edited by Holt on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Craft
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Colorado Craft »

ANd this is coming from the master of the CS hat. Does anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes from Aussie to VA for the hat?
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Hey, gang -

Just wondering - do the Fed IV dlxs run either small or large? I am 7 5/8 and the conversion chart tells me to go for 61 cm.

And dark brown/ heritage fawn? Its the dark brown we want, right?
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Colorado Craft wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes from Aussie to VA for the hat?
It took 3 weeks from Oz to Maryland. :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Luke Warmwater wrote:
Colorado Craft wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes from Aussie to VA for the hat?
It took 3 weeks from Oz to Maryland. :)
It was sent via Munchkin Express. :lol: [/i]
Oby1ITA
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Oby1ITA »

Me....wearing my new FedIV :lol:

BUT....someone can explain me the difference between FEDIV and the deluxe, i heard of better felt but...what else? I saw a video on youtube of one that CRUSH IT...and, looks like crushable. Am I right?
Can the classic FEDIV do the same?
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Oby1ITA wrote:...someone can explain me the difference between FEDIV and the deluxe, i heard of better felt but...what else? I saw a video on youtube of one that CRUSH IT...and, looks like crushable. Am I right?
Can the classic FEDIV do the same?
Assuming this is the video you saw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LVl7pFrIqQ

...it appears as though that person is simply performing Lee Keppler's method for softening the felt:

http://www.adventure-supply.com/Movie.wmv
Last edited by Zombie Jones on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.