If I can't afford a Magnoli, what's the next best shirt?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

If I can't afford a Magnoli, what's the next best shirt?

Post by elstevo »

I'd love a SA shirt that's nicely made and that I can wear to work. A Magnoli would be ideal, but I can't quite bring myself to lay down a hundred bucks--especially since my $80 L.L. Bean pants are on the way. Which of the other shirts is generally considered the best in terms of SA-ness and quality? Reading through several threads, it looks like a lot of people like Todd's.

Thanks!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have no first hand knowledge of Todd's, but word of mouth is good. Based on my direct experience, Wested would be a good choice. However, the up side of the Magnoli shirt is that the material is such that it's easy to keep pressed, thus more appropriate for wearing to work. :wink:
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

You should, imo, hold off for a magnoli. It is worth it.
With shipping, a Wested will probably cost you the same price as the magnoli.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

I own a Todd's and I am very happy with it. He's supposedly tweaking the color a little and I'd definitely get a second. Well worth the money.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

gmarthe wrote:I own a Todd's and I am very happy with it. He's supposedly tweaking the color a little and I'd definitely get a second. Well worth the money.
Yep, I agree. I love the cut and fit of my Todd's size large shirt.

Scott
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

The Todd shirt is the only one thats a better price than the others. The Wested and Magnoli will run you the same amount of cash, and IMO the Magnoli shirt is just about a million times better color- and fit-wise. If you're going for budget, get a Todd's, but if you want a really nice shirt, get the Magnoli.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

And don't forget the Magnoli is custom made to your own measurements so it'll likely be a better fit than an off the rack one. I think it's pretty good value all things considered. Like Aldens, worth saving for IMHO...

Alex
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

Risu wrote:The Todd shirt is the only one thats a better price than the others. The Wested and Magnoli will run you the same amount of cash, and IMO the Magnoli shirt is just about a million times better color- and fit-wise. If you're going for budget, get a Todd's, but if you want a really nice shirt, get the Magnoli.

I agree the color isn't SA for Raiders and maybe I'm just lucky with the cut - because mine is a perfect fit - but NOTHING about this shirt is budget. I completely respect Magnoli's work - and admittedly I don't own one of his shirts - but I think a MILLION times better is a tad bit of a stretch.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

My re-dyed Wested with the new buttons I put on it is now very SA (to me) but as far as a work shirt, no way. The fabric is really thin and you can see through it. You can see a T-shirt right through the fabric. My tattoos show through the fabric too.

Magnoli's is a slightly heavier twill and I think more suited to wear at work or where ever.
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

I have seen a Tood's in person and they have a great color to them. I personally own a Magnoli I bought from someone locally. They are worth every penny.

-TLF
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

I really would love to get the Magnoli's. My Wested made sense---it's really not much more than a nice leather jacket you'd get anywhere else, and you get the huge bonuses that go along with the Wested. But I've just never spent $100 on a single shirt before---it's kind of hard to swallow! But maybe I'll sock away for it.....

If the Wested material isn't up to par for wearing to work, how is Todd's? And does anyone have a color comparison pic on hand? I know I've seen several every now and then, but I can't seem to find one now. I've also heard that the new shipments of Todd's will have a color tweak---is that true?
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Well, I can't speak for Todd's because I've yet to see one in person. But I did just get a Magnoli and it is the nicest shirt I have now. Very well made, nice color, great fit, and very comfortable. I couldn't afford one either, but thanks to another member I got it for less than a Todd's. If you're not in a hurry, you may want to wait and watch the bazaar, or put in a wanted ad in the marakesh section.

-Corey