CBS SUnday Morning had a segment on hats making a comback

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

CBS SUnday Morning had a segment on hats making a comback

Post by Wraith1031 »

Turned on the tv this morning and there was a segment on CBS Sunday morning about the history and hopeful comeback of mens hats. The first movie clip they showed was Jimmy Stewart ftom Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and the next clip was Indy from Raiders. Pretty cool segment about celebrities bringing back the hat.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Hats are back

Post by YARVTON »

With luck, this will be available online.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

I hate I missed this, it sounded really interesting. I hate that dress hats are no longer worn, but hopefully, with any luck they will soon become popular again like they once were.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

With all the different fedoras I'm planning to buy thanks to the members here, I'm thinking of getting rid of my baseball hat collection and just wearing fedoras.
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

All i found were news articles on the CBS site...no videos :(
Long John Silver
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Long John Silver »

YARVTON wrote:With luck, this will be available online.
Here you go!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=skiXA4VLE0Q

Enjoy...

LJS
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

I see some teenage kids wearing pinstripe hats similar to the one belloq wore In radiers at the end of the cario street fight seen. Not sure what style hat it is.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Great video! I really liked a lot of those hats. Many of them weren't my style, but they were all nice hats. I'm surprised they didn't focus more on Johnny Depp. He's a much more notorious hat wearer than Brad Pitt.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I would love to see the "hat" make a come back. Living in Mississippi and having horses, I can wear my cowboy hat and get away with it...easily. But put on a fedora or anything else besides a cowboy hat or a cap and people just stop and stare......but of course they're just jealous. :wink:
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting! :tup:
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

Is it just me, or does anyone else think short-brimmed fedoras aren't fedoras at all?! I really dislike that style :?

-Robby 8)
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

RobbyT43 wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else think short-brimmed fedoras aren't fedoras at all?! I really dislike that style :?

-Robby 8)
sadly that's becoming the popular fedora style of today....whenever i see a fedora on campus, it's a tight small one.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Indycrazy5187 wrote:
RobbyT43 wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else think short-brimmed fedoras aren't fedoras at all?! I really dislike that style :?

-Robby 8)
sadly that's becoming the popular fedora style of today....whenever i see a fedora on campus, it's a tight small one.
Same. At schools, malls, even night clubs, most of the time it's the short-brimmed or stingy fedora.
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Funny thing, is I wore one of my vintage fedoras on Sunday to go to a graduation, and some guy saw my hat and mentioned this program.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

Scratch that.....
Last edited by Mississippi Jones on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Boy, was that a short attention span. #-o
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

A non-gearhead acquaintance asked me where to get a good fedora recently. He was also getting tired of wearing ballcaps. I pointed him to some of the usual sites and to a good shop in Seattle.

I must admit I also wear the occasional ballcap--I'm also a Magnum PI fan and have a Tigers and a VMO2 Da Nang cap. :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I would love to see hats come back as well. There is something sophisticated about a hats that is unique. The fedora hat is in a class of its own. It is supremely unique in that there are so many possible styles and bashes; they can be personalized and styled to just about anything.

My best friend is a regular hat wearer and it kinda makes my day when we are shooting pool and someone says "Hey, nice hats!" My friend tends to lean towards the short brimmed fedora but after seeing my Keppler, ia thinking about investing in a few Indy style hats, though that would totally throw our other friends off as, among our group of friends, the stingy fedora is known as a "Nick hat" and the Indy style fedora is known as a "Dave hat."

Dave
WebChief
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by WebChief »

For years I've told my wife that I was born years too late or something because I wished I lived in a time where wearing hats was common place and fashionable. I LOVE the look of the 20s and 30s when EVERYONE wore a hat. Hopefully it's true that they're coming more into everyday style.

Great piece, thanks for linking it!
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I've never considered stingy brimmed hats fedoras either. They're basically just pointless fashion accessories. The only problem with celebrities bringing back hats is that even if they're eventually successful, there's gonna be a really long period where wearing a hat makes you look pretentious, like you think you're a celebrity.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

I don't know about pretentious, but so far, wearing the hat has given me more confidence. When people see me wearing a hat and think of Indy, I take that as a compliment. I look nothing like him, but the fact that it's relatable is uplifting. That, and I have to keep my head up to see since I've tilted the front of my brim down. :lol:

I look forward to adding more hats to my collection. I've got the bug.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Sounded like a bunch of puffery for the most part. Then again, I'd rather a more hatter's POV video.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

I saw the Alison Krauss and Robert Plant concert here in Detroit last night. Buddy Miller played lead guitar and he wore a fedora. The funny thing was that the opening act lead guitarist also was wearing a fedora.

I also saw a band from Canada, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, a few months ago and their lead guitarist also wore a fedora.

What is it about guitarists wearing fedoras on stage? Not that I'm complaining!

Matt
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Sure they weren't cowboy hats? Guitarists have always loved those. :junior: -M
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

Mulceber wrote:Sure they weren't cowboy hats? Guitarists have always loved those. :junior: -M
Only the country music guitarists! :lol:

-Robby 8)
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

-Robby 8)
They don't look good on me, but they have their own something special...
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I thought drummers loved cowboy hats? Now I'm totally confused.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Magnum Jones wrote:I see some teenage kids wearing pinstripe hats similar to the one belloq wore In radiers at the end of the cario street fight seen. Not sure what style hat it is.
Pinstripe hat? Are you talking about his panema hat he's wearing? I have a Monticristi Panema from Optimo fairly close to Belloq's, and it's a nice summer hat.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I've seen those pinstripe hats before. They're a lot like the canvas outdoor hats that you see around here and there, except they're made like stingy brim fedoras. You can find them at Target and other department stores for $30. I think they look really cheap and fadish. Their felts counterparts, while unpopular in this company, are much better. It's only when the brim gets to be less than an inch that I think it looks really stupid.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

The Age of Comfort

Post by YARVTON »

Long ago I heard this remark: The Age of Luxury ended when the Age of Comfort Began. So in our current oh-so-casual-sloppy world, one would think that something as "practical" as a fedora might actually become fashionable -- fights melanoma, keep rain off head, block glare into eyes, warm in winter, cool in summer....
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

Just went to JJ hats today in NYC...bought a ribbon for my rebashed dorfman and a nice grey wool fedora...for a wool...it's very nice...will post pics soon.
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: The Age of Comfort

Post by Doh »

YARVTON wrote:Long ago I heard this remark: The Age of Luxury ended when the Age of Comfort Began. So in our current oh-so-casual-sloppy world, one would think that something as "practical" as a fedora might actually become fashionable -- fights melanoma, keep rain off head, block glare into eyes, warm in winter, cool in summer....
That's why I wear mine -- and why I don't own any stingies. Unless, of course, you count the 2 fezzes I own strictly for tiki events.

PS Great video.
Jones Boy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jones Boy »

My boys were watching the Saturday morning shows this weekend gone and they yelled out "Hanna's Dad is wearing a Fedora!" This being none other than Billy Ray Cyrus (I am not a fan of his :roll:) acting in Hannah Montana.

But sure as eggs, there was a reasonably SA Indy fedora planted on his scone. :shock:

Cheers
Jonesy
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Chi Chi Hats

Post by lpa53 »

The short-brimmed fedoras to me look like something Chi Chi Rodriguez or one of the original rat pack would wear. Or my granddad for that matter.

The video was great (thanks for posting, too) but I hope that the trend doesn't come back. It's vain but I'd much rather continue getting compliments and questions about my hats.[/img]
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

JT and Hats

Post by lpa53 »

In keeping with the part of the thread talking about celebs and musicians wearing hats, James Taylor, one of my all-time favorites, has been wearing thtem for years and they featured prominently one his album covers.

He probably moved to them, as I did, when his hair started to go. And it is cold up there in New England.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Many thanks for posting the link!

Post by YARVTON »

Today it takes a certain amount of confidence just to wear a hat, but then wearing the hat boosts and builds one's confidence. So those that say "I just can't pull it off" really mean that they lack the confidence to try.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Interesting segment. Thanks for posting this.
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

I enjoyed the segment overall. I wish that it had not played it up so much as the lonesome few, but as a style making a comeback. As far as the stingys go, I think it has a lot to do with the music scene. That's where you mostly see stingys making a comeback (all fedoras for that matter); and the stingy has long been a staple of the music scene, especially the black music scene, along with porkpies. I actually own a stingy and sometimes it's just more appropriate to wear it than the Indy. There's nothing sacred about the Indy fedora. Remember we're a fan club not a religion.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well, that best friend of mine that wears the stingies, he is the singer and rhythem guitarist in our band. I am the lead guitarist. I do own two stingy fedoras but they are rarely worn as I really don't like the way they look on me (though there is one that does look ok). I much prefer the Indy style fedora. In the eight years that I have been playing professionally in South Florida, I am the only musician I know of to wear an Indy style fedora, though fedoras are popular among musicians. The stingy will always be what it was designed to be, a fashionable fedora for the swinger in you. The Indy fedora, now that is classy!

Dave
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

How Stingy is Your Fedora?

Post by YARVTON »

Better a Stingy Fedora than a ballcap. Unless you think sunburned ears are attractive.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

I really need to get a summer straw hat. I was on the west side of Michigan in Pentwater the other day. I wore my Cubs cap and sure enough I got my neck burned. (Of course its my fault for not putting sunscreen on.) I wondered if I had a hat with a full brim on whether the result would have been the same.

Matt
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

neck burn

Post by YARVTON »

Straw hat with wide brim is best natural sunscreen available!
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Thanks for posting the video link. This is the first chance I've had to see that piece. I'm not a fan of the short stingy brimmed fedora, either. It looks too fashionable to me, like it might not be popular next season. I vote for classic style, a winner in every season, year after year, not subject to fashion whims.

I've been a fan of hats as long as I can remember. When we were kids, my mom and dad insisted we wear hats when we went for a hike or camping. We customized them with pins from our trips, and always had one on when we tried fishing. I have hats for yardwork, a hat for camping, straw cowboy (not used much by me, but very popular in Arizona) and Disney shorter brimmed than I like hats with Mickey Mouse on the hat band. I was always tugging at the brim of my Tilley T-3 when I spent hours on the pool deck at the kids' swim meets, and wasn't happy with the brim width until I got my T-2 with green underbrim to help cut the glare. I get compliments when I wear my T-2, and my Indy fedoras, or my Montecristi Panama. I love wearing the hat for sun protection and style. Two for one. Such a deal.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

hat for sun protection

Post by YARVTON »

Isn't Arizona the Skin-cancer capitol of the world? Some Celeb should adopt this as a "Cause" and make commercials hoping to stamp out such a horrible disease. And I don't think sun-overexposure is addictive in the way tobacco and other drugs are, so JUST SAY NO to that Coppertone tan.
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

Excellent video! Thanks for posting! :D

-Alfonso :D
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

James Taylor wears a Hat

Post by YARVTON »

As the hair started to go, Sinatra started wearing fedoras. And it became his trademark look. Hats make sense and look terrific. But style and fashion rarely have coincided for the past forty years.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Notice the Bow-Tie on the GMA host? :dig: And on the guy in the hat store? :D
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

-Robby 8)
What's wrong with them??

(Bad cell phone picture - sorry)

Mine's a vintage Dobb's from the 60s. It's one of my favorite hats! And guess what - another one of my favorites is a ball cap!! What a heathen I must be...

That was a really cool video though - I saved it to my favorites! :D Thanks for posting the link!

Shane
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post 1000

Post by DanielJones »

With more & more folks being more health conscious and worrying about the possibilities of skin cancer I think it is good news that the hat is making a come back. We have a few hat makers around, now that make very good quality hats, lets just hope that trend keeps moving forward.

Cheers!

Dan
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Mr. Smith wears his hat to Washington

Post by YARVTON »

I just loved that particular clip -- "the hat... just like your father...." Makes me think that Fedoras are for grownups -- and people who want to be grown-up. "Real Men wear Real Hats."