Baron Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Baron Hats

Post by gabrielle »

Any opinions on Baron Hats? Anyone own one with pics?

I recently went on the website and was impressed with several of their hats and the easy pay option...

Looks like I might just get a ladies "The Lover" style hat. It looks sweet and I love the color!!!!
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Any opinions on Baron Hats?
There's a loaded question if I ever heard one.

I recommend doing a search, there's been plenty of "opinions" given on Baron's over the years. 8)

-GCR
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I agree, that is a loaded question.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Does anyone have a positive experience or own a Baron hat with pics?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Baron Hats is a very sensitive issue around here and I don't believe we're even permitted to discuss some of it anymore. But as mentioned, if you do a little searching you should be able to find useful information.

Jack
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

gabrielle wrote:Does anyone have a positive experience or own a Baron hat with pics?
Our friend WConly has a hat from Baron's, and he was very happy with it. I almost responded to this thread earlier, but kept my tongue in check. Don't feel bad, Gabrielle, you didn't know. I recommend taking GCR's advice and doing a forum search. If you want, I can PM you a link to my Invite Indy blog, and you can read my real opinion there, on Myspace. Just PM me if you're interested. :)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Baron Hats is, as mentioned, a sensitive subject. Most claim he makes decent hats, but his claim to have made some of the hats for ToD is somewhat doubted, and his retracted claim to have made the hats for KCS is absolute @#$% and angered a lot of COW members.

Personally, I think there are a lot of hatters that can give you a hat that is as good or better for a much better price.

I have been somewhat intrigued by his "rebel sidekick hat" though... :-k

:junior: -M
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Well all as always your opinions are highly valued and I will research them. I'm off to Father's Day cookout at the parents!!!

I have to admit, I do so love that 1 hat for ladies, "The Lover". It's a beauty and the color, pink rose, just made me fall for it hook/line/sinker.

Again I need to think on it while I'm mowing through burgers, dogs, potato salad and barbecue chicken!!!

:shock:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

On The Fedora Chronilces main site there's a link to a topic in our Electric Speakeasy forum: "Crystal Skull Fedora Vendor Discussion." There are people from both sides of this issue discussing what went on, I've allowed both sides to post there point of view.

Any other questions, feel free to ask me any questions via PM.
RNomura
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RNomura »

Several years ago, I contracted Baron Hats to make me one of their "Night Stalker" straw hats. Mark was friendly and informative and I gave him some shots of Darren McGavin for more accuracy.

Within a month I had my hat and was very happy with it.

I'm also a fan of the hat from "The Lover"

~Ron
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

I used to have an Indy hat from Baron. It was very well made and very untapered in a Raiders idol grab bash. The fur was thick and very sturdy and fit perfect. The only reason I decided to part with it was the color. I was told by Mark at Baron that the hat he offered for TOD was a taupe colored hat and that it was the accurate color. I was new to Indy gear at the time so I went with the color. I later decided that a darker brown was more appropriate. The overall experience with them was good.
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

Mulceber wrote: his retracted claim to have made the hats for KCS is absolute [nonsense] and angered a lot of COW members.
Mulceber- you are correct- sort of- he retracted that he "made" the hats for KCS but there is still content on the site that says he "worked on" the hats for KCS (which, is factual but some think a *little* ambiguous). There is much more to find, as others have said, by searching here and looking through the thread on Fedora Chronicles (and, of course, by perusing the Baron's site).

As someone who researched Baron's and thought carefully before ordering other fedoras (Indy and otherwise), I'd have to say my conclusions were that it seems they make very good hats (see also above references from customers or PM them) but I came to the conclusion that Steve Delk, Art Fawcett, Jimmy Pierce, and others made equally good or better ones at a better price. Baron's is, so far as I know, the only one offering that specific payment plan but others have mentioned lay-away, and other ways to pay. For example, one builder's normal plan is to pay half on order and half in six-weeks when your hat is "on the block". I would encourage you to contact Art, Jimmy or Steve (when his email allows!) and speak to them about your needs (and/or to Barons).
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

True, I did "condense" my account of what happened. Perhaps too much. If you want the real details, I'd recommend heading over to the fedora chronicles and discussing it there. :junior: -M
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Who is Art Fawcett? What hat does he make? Have not heard of him before...
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

www.vintagesilhouettes.com

Check it out. Art makes some very nice hats.

Dave
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

DR Ulloa wrote:Check it out. Art makes some very nice hats.

Dave
Gabrielle-
That is the web-site for his hats, yes. Art specializes in vintage hats. Makes all his hats from excellent beaver felt and is extremely reasonable on price. He and his spouse ran a vintage clothing store for some time and he is now specializing in the vintage fedora making. His turn around time is about six weeks which is also very reasonable. I think his real specialty is listening to the customer and producing just the hat you wanted.
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

Aeris_Canon wrote:Is Mutt's hat a KotCS hat? Who worked on, or made, that one? Anyone know?
I really don't "know" but there is a claim by a certain hat-maker that they made it.

"THE REBEL SIDEKICK"
Inspired by the cap created by Baron Hats and worn by SHIA LABEOUF as "Mutt Williams"

http://www.baronhats.com/Rebel_sidekick.htm

They are also offering a limited edition version of the one worn by Marlon Brando in "The Wild One". The deluxe version is, gulp, $498.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

The block shape they made it on is ridiculously tapered - the original block is straightsided!

I know everyone knows this already, but I just checked out the website. They added a new version of their hat which is supposedly a replica of the hat in the new movie, which happens to look no better than a rebashed DP. For shame.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

i don't think i am allowed to say why they would. Suffice it to say that I will never buy a hat from Baron. I nearly vomitted while reading the text on the "Redux." I really like their James Bond fedora, but would rather go to another custom hatter and have them make it for me just so I don't give my business to them.

Dave
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Because of the way they shamelessly tried to take credit for Steve and Marc's work and attempted to mislead this whole community. I'm a bit more forgiving than Ulloa, but I too think that was pretty low. :junior: -M
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Always in the middle, (me)

Post by mtechthang »

Aeris_Canon wrote:Why? Baron's has been in the hat making business, and a 'goto' in the industry, since before this forum was even created, and well before kitchen sink hatters ever considered making their own. How are they somehow not worthy of making or selling hats now? Their prices are way out there, yes. But... are they lacking experience? Do they need another twenty, thirty years of trying their hand at hatmaking?
I see both points. In psychology when we can't talk about a case because of confidentiality but we need help we start talking about a hypothetical (some use "Chuck" or other buzzwords). SOoooooo. . . Hypothetically. We have a business that has great product and I don't agree with their advertising scheme- I don't like it or it offends, etc. I have a choice whether to use their product or not. Seems simple enough. In the real world, Baron's seems to have a lot of satisfied customers. The whole thing of what is and isn't SA- that's a whole 'nother kettle o'fish. I buy a hat based on a) the quality and workmanship b) the communication c) do I want to give this company my money (i.e., simply put, is it what I want). Repeat business is dependent on the service and quality of the product I receive from that decision. On the other hand, it seems simple enough that if I don't like their hat specifications etc., I just go elsewhere.

Aeris_Canon- I'm not so sure I agree with one of your points though. A kitchen sink hatter? Hmmm. I see it as partly supporting a new business, or the little guy, vs a larger company. My own experience with furniture, guitars, violins, homes, wood-working, knives, guns, etc (and I include hats) is that the small crafts-person has more flexibility but slightly less "fixed tolerance" in the final product- I mean they can make things more personal though from one item to the next there will be more variability. I don't see it as black and white. I have a Taylor guitar (VERY tight tolerances), a Martin (pretty tight back in 1954) and a custom (perfect for what it is but you'd never get it exactly the same again). I like them all.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

We don't know if they made Mutt's hat, but we DO know they lied when they led Indy fans to believe they made Indy's hats for Indy IV. :junior: -M
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

yeah...except they took credit for Indy's hats in KCS on their myspace page...and for a while on their site. And they weren't exactly quick to tell that online site that they had been misquoted. If I recall, they actually NEVER told that online site that they'd been misquoted. Did they actually make the claim? No. But they didn't try to set the record straight either, and that's nearly as bad. I wouldn't be too quick to defend them, AC. :junior: -M
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Not to us. But they said that to the online site, or possibly, they just led them to believe that. And as I said, they didn't do anything to try to dispel false claims that they were the hatmaker. :junior: -M
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

Well, all this rambling aside...

The fedora, from The Lover, is beautiful looking. My opinion is go for it. It looks nice, and I'm sure it will be great looking when you receive it.

Tycoonman
Alan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alan »

DR Ulloa wrote:www.vintagesilhouettes.com

Check it out. Art makes some very nice hats.
I'll second (er, third) that! :tup:

He'll treat you right and no monkey business.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I was just looking at Baron's "The Monster Hunter" hat and I love that one too...

First The Lover then I go back for The Monster Hunter.

I love hats \:D/
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Aeris,

Eddy Baron made hats for the movie industry for years. From what I understand, he sold the business to Mark Mejia. It is the same company in name only.

I won't buy anything EVER from Mark Mejia for one simple reason. I woke up one Sunday morning and opened my newspaper, and the Parade Magazine had a big article about Baron Hat's making the fedoras for Harrison Ford to wear as Indiana Jones in the KotCS. He flat out stated that he made all of the hats for Harrison Ford to wear and he was selling the exact same hat that he made for Indiana Jones for $500. The next day, I saw a news story where he was being interviewed about making Indiana Jones' hats, and he once again stated that he made all of the hats that Harrison Ford would wear in KotCS and that he made 36 fedoras in all for Harrison Ford. He can say he was misquoted all he wants, but I saw and heard him say it on the interview. I know he didn't make the Indiana Jones hats for KotCS. Steve and Marc did. Somebody that will flat out lie like that, I wouldn't buy a hat from them for $500 or any other price.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Gosh if they're that bad forget The Monster Hunter, but I have to have The Lover, then I'll stop...

I'm simply addicted to that hat and I have an AB on order so maybe that will balance the scales of my guilt.

:cry:
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

gabrielle wrote: I'm simply addicted to that hat and I have an AB on order so maybe that will balance the scales of my guilt.
Gabrielle- Guilt. My major professor used to have a joke about that, "I gave it up for Lent". :) Obviously there are deeply held opinions about this. I don't know if it in any way impacts the hats themselves- they obviously have very satisfied customers. 'Tis your decision. :)

One thing does occur to me. We know who made the KotCS hats for Harrison because that was made public. I wonder if the industry in general could make just a bit more effort to credit their sources. It would go a long way toward helping- but obviously not prevent any false claims being fostered- Caveat emptor. Thus correct information benefits the original source but lack of information benefits many. Sad.

I suspect that continuing the tirades against any hat maker is only free publicity. We all know what they say in LA-LA land- there is no such thing as bad pub. If I have a problem with someone I think mom was right- "If you can't say something nice. . ." :-
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Baron Hats sizing chart is different than most. I wear almost a 22 1/4" hat, which is normally 7 1/8. On Baron's they say that's a 7, and I'm afraid it will be too tight. Any suggestions???
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Send them your measurements, and ask for their suggestions on hat size?
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

ichnob wrote:Send them your measurements, and ask for their suggestions on hat size?
Great minds think alike, :D

I just emailed them.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Hehe, nice. Post pics of the hat when you get them.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

mtechthang wrote:If I have a problem with someone I think mom was right- "If you can't say something nice. . ." :-
A lot of people say that. I am just blunt and straight forward and usually just a tad sarcastic. If saying what I feel doesn't get the job done, then sometimes I end up just picking people up and throwing them. That at least serves as an attention getter.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well, our opinion was asked and it was given. My opinion: I have a problem with any businessman that takes credit for someone else's work. If a person is going to be dishonest in their marketing and advertising, that says something about the way they care and handle their business and and customers. It also says something about themselves. I have no doubt that I can get a quality hat from Baron; there have been many customers happy with their hats from Eddy. But there is a reason I am loyal to certain companies and quality is only one part of that. I said before that I would love their Dr. No Bond fedora; I think it looks very close to the original, but I have a problem giving my money to someone like Eddy when I can go to Jimmy Pierce or Steve Delk and have that same hat made for less money and by professional, honest, and all around great guys.

Dave
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

We should be careful to whom we refer here. We are discussing Mark Mejia, the current owner, not the late Eddie Baron.

Jack
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Dave,

Sorry to say, but it's not the late Eddy Baron anymore but Mark Mejia that is at the helm of BH. Eddy retired many years ago when Mark bought it from him.

Now back to our regular programming. :wink:

Cheers!

Dan
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:That at least serves as an attention getter.
That would get attention, yes. :-k

Bufflehead- I'm not disagreeing with you, btw. (Apologies - obtuse seems to be my modus operandi!) But not saying something about Mark Mejia was my point- perhaps I'm better also at being sarcastic than at being subtle as I obviously failed to make my point. :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Oops. Sorry, I meant Mark. No disrespect to Eddy.

Dave
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I've written Baron's 2 emails about sizing on their hats, but no reply thus far. Are they extremely busy or short on customer service?

Any COWs have experience with their customer service? Maybe it's just me being impatient, but it's been 3 days and nothing...
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

they make fedoras for cows nowadays?

sorry, had to. :rolling:
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

mufflowne wrote:they make fedoras for cows nowadays?

sorry, had to. :rolling:
I knew that was coming, but went for it anyway!!!

LOL
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hmmm. . .

Post by mtechthang »

gabrielle wrote:I knew that was coming, but went for it anyway!!!
:shock: Gabrielle- If that's their customer service before they sell it. . . I'm just sayin' :roll:

Seriously, that hat's based on a hat from a movie- the images they post are printable and email-able. I think most any hatter could make it or even improve on your idea of what it should look like (for example, pick a specifc scene)- Haven't you already gotten a hat from JP?. . . . .

(my apologies if I'm interfering but Jimmy makes a great hat AND is apparently great to work with)
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

...how about getting Jimmy Pierce to make the hat for you? From what I understand, he can replicate and duplicate any hat you show him....probably doa better job of it too. AND he's a COW!
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

citRon wrote:...how about getting Jimmy Pierce to make the hat for you? From what I understand, he can replicate and duplicate any hat you show him....probably doa better job of it too. AND he's a COW!
great minds!!! :rolling: :rolling:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I think they're on to something there. You like what Jimmy has already made for you, and you already know what he's like to deal with, so have him make exactly what you want again. Go with what you know.

Cheers!

Dan
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

I've written Baron's 2 emails about sizing on their hats, but no reply thus far. Are they extremely busy or short on customer service?

Any COWs have experience with their customer service? Maybe it's just me being impatient, but it's been 3 days and nothing...
i wrote mark a couple times last year enquirring about the cliffhanger. he was always quick to respond and quite courteous. i was following the whole story here and at the fedora chronicles......i don't know mark or baron hats that well, but if they generated enough controversy to get on steve's bad side, then they're on my black list along with some other "lucky" vendors :shock: :wink:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Are we allowed to discuss this topic again? From previous posts, it seems so, but I apologize if what I'm about to write is out of line.

It is a troubling story, because Baron's did contribute to the finished look of the CS hat and deserved whatever credit was due them; but they negated any positive effect that could have resulted from their contribution when they apparently tried to hog ALL the credit for the hats from the true makers.

At The Fedora Chronicles, one of Mark Mejia's friends claims Mark was furious when he saw the Parade "misquote." If so, why didn't Mark demand a retraction from Parade? And why did he permit the same misunderstanding to happen again later, elsewhere?

Making a hat and reshaping it are 2 totally different things; no one would know the difference better than a professional hatter, or be better able to head off any possible misunderstandings before they occured.

Not only that, but the claim is still being put out that Baron's had to reshape all the hats for CS, not just the first few samples.

I for one would like to hear Mark himself explain the situation, but so far (unlike Steve Delk and Marc Kitter) he has not responded to invitations to tell his side.

Jack
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

Controversy aside, if I wanted a Crystal Skull repro, I'd stick with the guys who actually made them -- and for $100 (or $200) bucks cheaper.