Child Size MKVII bag, now with a full sized one!!! :D

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Child Size MKVII bag, now with a full sized one!!! :D

Post by d_jedi1 »

I recently watched the Indy movies with my 6 year old nephew (his first time). He fell in love with the character instantly.. he wanted a costume and he especially wanted a whip.. I'm not going to give a functioning whip to a child that young.. well, not this one anyway as he has some anger issues. BUT I will make him a bag and give his parents some costuming tips (they bought him a Rubies Anakin costume... I didnt want another one of those travesties).
So I gave them advice on shirt, pants, and shoes (most of which he has close enoughs of) and I bought the fabric to make him a bag (actually I got enough to make one for me too, but that will come later :D

Anyway, enough background nonsense, I know that its not 100% accurate and its also not 100% finished, but here is his bag as it looks right now
I made it 8" wide and 7.5" high (tall?) its 2" thick (?)

I know that D-Rings aren't correct, but they worked pretty well, it has no vents on the bottom but this is for two reasons.. one I could not find them, and two, I want him to be able to easily use the bag.
I am going to add another piece that will wrap around under it from the back and end an inch or so up on the front.. I'm actually planning to make that like a pocketed area on the back (again, function over accuracy) I havent added anything inside yet, not sure if I will.
Any thoughts on wether or not I should?
Well, anyway I hope he likes it :D
Last edited by d_jedi1 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I think it looks fantastic! :D Great for a scaled down kids size bag.
I wouldn't put any extras inside. It's smaller, so he'll need room to put something in there. Dividers will make the areas too small.
Again, great job, and if you plan on making more, let me know.
'Blues
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

you could put in the front and back compartments and just omit the center divider.
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

I would have killed for that when I was six! :shock:
JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

That looks great. I just ordered one of Todd's bags for my 6 year old and I think it will be a little big on him. I didn't even think to make my own smaller one. Cool idea.
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

Thanks for the responses.. I just finished it :D I'm off to bed so I can get to work in like 4 hours :P but here is how it looks..

PS Thanks for the advice Darth, I added the pocketed area in the front :D
IndyJango
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyJango »

It's funny to see your pictures. I just recently got a MK VII bag for myself and my two daughters 5 and 2 years old now want their own Indy bags. Even though they've never seen the movies. I'm currently working on their bags and really like what you have done. I would suggest adding another seam on the outside verticle corners. If you look at an MK it's like they pinched the verticle edges and did a second seam to re-enforce the bag. It also helps the sides bend in instead of out making it look puffy. The only problem is the layer of marerial you would have to go through to do it. I'm not sure if my machine could do it. Hope to get some time to work on them this week. I'll post pictures when it's done.
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

:) thanks, I might have to do that.
I sewed it entirely by hand.. my machine is about 350 miles west of me at the moment. Whenever it got too tough for hand sewing, I would use needle nose pliers to force and then pull the needle through :P Kind of a bogus way, but it gets the job done. ;)

Yeash, I really might have to do that to his bag. I have plenty time since he wont be back home til like tuesday.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

wow, that's marvelous. keep up the good work.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fantastic job. I'm glade my son is not here right now. Ge would drive me crazy for one.
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I'm DEFINITELY going to use the things I've learned on this one when I make mine :D

As a quick FYI for anyone interested in making these.. I bought almost everything at Wal-Mart. The Fabric was $5.00 a yard (well, like $4.95). I got two yards to be on the safe side.. I have used ONE ten inch wide (and then the width of the sheet of fabric, 3 feet or 6 feet or whatever I'll check later. Basically from one yard, you could make THREE of these child sized bags. I got the Snaps at Wal-Mart also, $2.00 or $3.00, cant remember. I bought a spool of thread (I used upholstery thread because its stronger) so about $1.95 for that. Finally the D-rings, I bought a pack of four at Michaels for about $2.00.
So, for around $12.00 - $13.00 you can make two or three of these and the REALLY nice thing is that it only takes a few hours (hand sewing, almost certainly MUCH less if using a machine).

My "fudged" size was 8" wide, 2" deep, and 7.5" high. The front Flap is 4.5". I wasn't going for any specific scale, just approximating the sizes. I left 1/2 inch overhang at the edges (so I'd have plenty to sew to the other pieces... after all, I can always trim them after ;) )
I was initially going to have "pen pockets" on BOTH sides but I got ahead of myself on the one side and only realised my mistake after.I put a pocket on the back, I mean, you never know when a little extra storage space will come in handy and I added the"pocket" at the inside-front.
In all, for roughly one days work (I stopped and did other stuff several times while working on it) I think it turned out rather nicely
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

I would have killed for that when I was six!
I agree. This sure beats the heck out of what I had when I was 6
IndyJango
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyJango »

Well I got them done. I too used the $5 fabric from Walmart but couldn't find any snaps so I used velcro and buttons for the look. I skipped the metal disc on the side and put pockets on both. Found the brown web strapping from strapworks.com Really cheap. Something like 17 cents a foot. The girls love them. Probably could have made them a little longer. I was able to do the double stitching on the edges that I talked about earlier.

Here is a shot next to my MK VII

PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

IndyJango
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyJango »

Nah, Far to plain and impersonal. I like our custom ones better.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

IndyJango wrote:Nah, Far to plain and impersonal. I like our custom ones better.
.....kids don't know the difference.....to them, it's just another "cool" toy that will interest them for about a week and later end up at a yard sale. :lol:
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

IndyJango.. awesome work :D I'll bet your girls love them.
Tomorrow... well, later today I suppose, I'm taking the one I made to my nephew.. I never did get around to fixing the edges (got stuck in Evansville all weekend) but I used it to carry my toiletries and it worked QUITE well.
I'll have to take pics of the booger when I hand it over to him.
I'll probably start on my full-sized one after that sometime (if I can find the time tomorrow... been a LONG weekend :P)

LOL @ that licensed bag... the snaps are actually printed on!!??!! how lame.
I'd rather spend an afternoon sewing my own, it will be cheaper and FAR more accurate. (kind of like the Jedi robe I made for my nephew to wear to Disney.. it beats the @#$% out of the cheap rubies one)
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

OMG is the auto-censor on here THAT sensitive? I used a TAME word for defecation (or stuff in general) and it blurred it out.
What is this? Mid 90's WGN ;) (they bleeped the same word on an episode of Highlander.)

(BTW I'm not trying to stir up stuff [almost typed that word again ;) ] just thought it was funny :D )
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

This is cool. My son turns 7 next month and I've been buying him some Indy gear. A smaller bag would be perfect. I'll have to take a crack at it.
Nice job on your bags.
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

Thanks, last night I started on my full-sized bag. I'll probably finish it later today (or tomorrow depending on how I feel [and where my wife drags me])
Like the Child sized bag, it's not 100% SA, but it will be close enough (for my tastes). My intention is to have it be something that I would use on a daily basis.
The way i have it now, it is, well, will be :P all of the pieces are cut and ready to be assembled. Most of them are in some stage of assembly but its not all together just yet.
I'll post pics when it's done.. heck I might take a few of it NOW so you can get a feel for what I'm talking about.
BTW my fingers hurt from all that sewing :P I hope my mother hurries up and brings me my sewing machine.. (not that it will see MUCH use, I prefer hand sewing :P )
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

ok, I got it done today. here are some pics.. Much like the child-sized one, it's not 100% accurate but its what I wanted/needed.
a peek inside...
Here it is being worn. I'm 6'1" and between 185 and 190 lbs.. not wearing gear either :P
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

Very cool!

If I may ask, what did you use for the metal disk?
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

lol its a part from an old broken cd player. It had the right look to it so I popped it apart, made a small incision in the fabric, and put it back together.
I sometimes make hardware lightsabers so I keep junk like that around for a little while.
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

d_jedi1 wrote:lol its a part from an old broken cd player. It had the right look to it so I popped it apart, made a small incision in the fabric, and put it back together.
I sometimes make hardware lightsabers so I keep junk like that around for a little while.
Excellent!

Several of my field issued MKVII's have the metal disk missing which is why I asked. I know the British S6 Respirator bags have the same disks, but I can never bring myself to pay 20+ dollars just to rip the disk off the side. I'm always looking around for anything that "has the look." :)
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Impressive,most impressive....you got skills and I like your bag lot. Wear in good health and enjoy.