My JPD Rabbit Broken In Some - PICS

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

My JPD Rabbit Broken In Some - PICS

Post by gabrielle »

Here are new pics of my Jimmy Pierce after wear and tear and waterproofing:

Please let me know what you think and if it needs more bashing and I mean bashing it in the dirt and drop kicking it across my backyard!!!

8)
Last edited by gabrielle on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

I'm not sure I have heard of this maker but that is one fine fedora you got there. :wink:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

You have never heard of Jimmy Pierce? Do some searching, you will fins a lot of threads.

Gabrielle, the hat looks great. It has a nice tight pinch up front. It is very SOC. Beautiful hat :D . I like the new look, but if you are going for the Cairo look, then I would splash some Fuller's on it.

Dave
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Good work indeed!
I especially like the very tight pinch!

Cheers!

Dan
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

I have no money. Would you please stop taunting me with your super fine hat!
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

kiltie wrote:I have no money. Would you please stop taunting me with your super fine hat!

:rolling:

Who needs money?!! Just go to eBay and look through the vintage fedora section. You can grab a great looking hat for under $100.00. And most times under $50.00... :wink:
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

gabrielle wrote: :rolling:
Who needs money?!!
:)
I think Kiltie was just expressing the same hat-envy toward the JP that most of us would feel. Remembering that it is at least partly the accuracy of the JP to the Indy original - you'd be hard-pressed to find that on ebay!- although I have seen an HJ and heard rumor of an Adventurebilt- they didn't go for less than a C-note! [-o<

On the original question, I've seen it elsewhere suggested that a great way to "break in" the Indy look is to, ahem, sit on the hat (I believe I heard that in a thread in which Fedora himself participated- but don't quote me as I'm depending on memory for that). :)

Oh, btw- is it beaver, rabbit, or a blend? (Anyhoo- it looks great!!)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

How is the rabbit holding up? Has it taken any showers yet? It looks great; no visible taper. I am thinking about getting one of Jimmy's rabbits but it will have to wait until after I get a beaver from Bending Oak.

Dave
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I have softened it by smashing it up with my hands then sitting on it. I used Scout on it, gave it 2 good coats and it's seen 1 pretty heavy rain with wind. No damage to the hat. The only noticeable difference is that it was stiff when it came from the box and now it's softer.

I have the JPD rabbit. Very pleased with the hat and the fit. It has such a great swoop and curl to it plus Jimmy did a great job fitting it, most of the time I forget I'm even wearing a hat...
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Newbie - Fullers?

Post by lpa53 »

OK OK, the only way to learn is to ask, so ...

What's it mean to use "Fullers" on a hat?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Fuller's Earth. Do a search and you can find out what exactly Fuller's is. In short, it is a powder that can be put on your hat to make it look weathered and worn. You can get some from Todds.

Dave
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I think Jimmy Pierce is probably one of the most overlooked and underrated gentleman on here. He crafts a most beautiful fedora at a very reasonable price, $160.00 for a rabbit, but somehow gets overshadowed by the other vendors here. Taking nothing away from the other vendors (I have an AB on order and plan to get another Keppler, as well as a Fieldmaster styled non Indy and a Christy's). I think maybe it's because of the trouble he had awhile back when he was not feeling well. I just wanted to say that I really love my JPD, it's everything I imagined it would be and more. It's a rabbit styled in Raven Bar and the look and feel of the hat is amazing. I only had to wait 3 weeks for delivery too, which is a big plus, and Jimmy worked with me all the way. He is very sweet and great to talk with.

Excuse the pun, but hats off to you Jimmy. I wish you much luck in your hat business and I assure you I will be back for another...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. One my my nicest 'non Indy' hat is a medium weight black 100% beaver he made for me when he started his first business on his own, and the quality is just great.

Keep in mind, he goes back even further with us than the AB line, as he was working at Peters Brothers when we first approached them to MAKE Indy fedoras, and it was by his hand that most of us got our first custom fedora on our head through the PB shop.

If you can get your hand on a JPDesign hat, you have a jem in your rotation. I'm proud of mine.

Regards! Michaelson
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Any other JPDs out there? Would love to see them!!! Please post your Jimmy Pierce hat here... :D
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Jimmy Pierce hats

Post by YARVTON »

Would like to see any non-Indy JPD hats as well.