Joe Strain 9 ft. 'RAIDERS'-Style Whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Joe Strain 9 ft. 'RAIDERS'-Style Whip

Post by Bardoon »

I got this whip about a week ago but couldn't show it off until I got my new camera as well! I ordered this whip back in late April. Once again let me re-iterate that Joe Strain is not only a fantastic whip-maker but also extremely friendly, knowledgable and has excellet customer service. When ordering a whip from Joe, don't forget to shoot him an e-mail and chat it up or thank him! THANKS ONCE AGAIN JOE!!!!!!! :D

Anyways, this is my first REAL whip. I've done some cracks a long while ago with a crappy whip and even some more recent practicing with another old crappy 6-footer I have. But now it has been down to business!

So when I got this package from Joe and opened it, I spent the next 20-30 minutes just marveling over the handiwork and Joe's attention to detail. He told me he followed Walt Rybinski's specs and measurements (from Walt's sketch of the whip) for this "Raiders" style whip and you can see it! Its got that narrow handle and looks amazing.

It handles like a dream too. I'm still a beginner and this whip has been through about 5-6 whip cracking sessions. But nothing compares to that *POW* going off with an overhead crack.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN JOE!!!

Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

A great looking whip.
You are very lucky to own a Joe Strain whip.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Very awesome. I own a Strain and am absolutely a fan of it. Haven't had any troubles with it. Take care of it and baby it, and it will last you a long time.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

That's a terrific looking whip. I'm a great fan of Joe's work. I don't currently own one, but have done, and they really are as good as they look.
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

That is one great looking whip. I love my Strain and would love to get another like yours. Enjoy!

-Nebraska
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Fantastic! May I ask what color Roo that is? Is it natural or saddle? Did Joe advise you to (or not to) use any particular type of product to condition it?
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

Beauty! Congratulations.
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

Mannie Bothans wrote:Fantastic! May I ask what color Roo that is? Is it natural or saddle? Did Joe advise you to (or not to) use any particular type of product to condition it?
It's Natural. It's darkening rather nicely...

Joe didn't advise any product, but he gave me some Pecards. So I suppose that's the best and all our experts advise using that.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Bardoon, that is one nice whip you got there. I got a 8' Raiders from Joe Strain a couple months back and it is a great whip. It is going to take a lot of practice to break in so don't be suprised. Pecards will do for now over the fall after every other practice or every other practice. What kind of crackers/poppers you get on there, nylon or pro poly?? I bought a pound of Pecards when I got my Aldens last year and it has served me well, I have used the stuff on all my leather gear works great. Beautiful whip, Joe did a great job on that 9 footer.

IndianaChris
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Very impressive, That is one fine looking bullwhip.

Joe did a great job making your whip. Congratulations and enjoy it!

Dan
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Nice! Joe Strain does amazing work - just as functional and durable as it is beautiful. And that one certainly does look beautiful, as always! :-) Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

That's a really nice looking whip. I think when I get a whip I'm getting a Strain since Adam Winrich isn't making is kangaroo whips anymore. But your whip looks very very good, well done!
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

That is one awesome looking whip!! :notworthy:

I was leaning towards a Strain 8ft, but when Adam said he was doing 12 plait cow for COW members, I decided to go with him based on Elcapitan's pics he posted. If I were to have to order another whip, Joe would get my business in a heartbeat! (May have to find an excuse for a 2nd whip now. ;) ).
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

I've come back to this thread everyday sice it's been posted because the whip is so sleek and beautiful.

I ordered an 8ft from Joe 4 weeks ago, so my wait to hold one like that is only half over. :( But soon.... :twisted:
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

Thanks everyone!!!

I did some cracking again with it tonight and the whip is slowly but surely breaking in. I can feel it move more fluidly or maybe my cracks are getting better.

Guys and ladies, if you have the cash...definitely get a 'roo whip. Whether you get from Joe, or from Bernardo, or from Paul & Lauren or ANY of great whip-makers...you will not regret it.

Just be prepared to get smacked a lot if you're learning like me.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

That's a beautiful bullwhip, Bardoon! Joe certainly does great work--I've enjoyed my 8 ft Strain for several years now. "You chose wisely." :wink:
MacFett
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MacFett »

I've got a Strain 10 footer sitting at home that I haven't got to see yet. :cry:
I should get to see it in the next couple of days and I can't wait.
I've heard nothing but good things about the "Strain" whips.
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Beautiful whip !!