Steam Bash? (HELP)

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Steam Bash? (HELP)

Post by gabrielle »

Once you get the crease the way you like it and you're ready to use a little steam to set the bash, how is this done? You steam inside or outside or both? Then just let it dry naturally?

Probably dumb question, but I'm just a beginner at hat bashing... :oops:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I know from experience that you can easily shrink a hat with steam. Iwouldn't use steam at all unless the felt won't respond to your attempts to shape it. Try sprayiing the areas you want to shape with a little distilled water first. Once you get the shape you want, put the hat aside for several days and the felt will set naturally. If you must use steam, do it sparingly (you don't need to steam the inside of the hat) and avoid overdoing it or getting to close to the heat source.

Jack
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I use steam every time I shape the hat....I just hold it over the steam for a few seconds in the area I wanna shape so it sofens the felt, then I shape it how I like. That simple.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Vegeta wrote:I use steam every time I shape the hat....I just hold it over the steam for a few seconds in the area I wanna shape so it sofens the felt, then I shape it how I like. That simple.
It can be that simple, but it depends on many variables, and especially if you're a beginner you should be made aware of the risks. You can also damage the hat's shape to the point where it needs a reblocking if you are not careful-- I did all these things years ago when I was just starting out in the hobby, and now I only use steam if I can't get the right shape any other way.

Jack
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

So spraying it with distilled water will soften the felt for shaping much like steam does? And the shape will hold once dry?
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I must be gifted or something...My fed is the first hat I've ever bashed and it turned out perfect the first time I did it.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Vegeta wrote:I must be gifted or something...My fed is the first hat I've ever bashed and it turned out perfect the first time I did it.
I noticed that you managed to get a perfect crease. Maybe I should send my Fed to you for a bash and you can ship it back here...Of course I'd pay for the help.

:)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

What hat is it you are trying to shape?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

gabrielle wrote:So spraying it with distilled water will soften the felt for shaping much like steam does? And the shape will hold once dry?
Yes, exactly. That is the safest method that I have found, esp. if you are just starting out. You can shrink a hat with steam and not even be aware of it unless you have an identical hat to compare it with; why take the chance if you don't need to do so?

Jack
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

I like the cold water set technique best. After a preliminary, un-assisted bash, I spray the hat down with distilled water from a plant misting bottle. Then, I set the final touches to the bash, and let the hat dry by itself on a stand, usually overnight.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

DoubleOhSeven wrote:I like the cold water set technique best. After a preliminary, un-assisted bash, I spray the hat down with distilled water from a plant misting bottle. Then, I set the final touches to the bash, and let the hat dry by itself on a stand, usually overnight.
that's exactly how i do the crown. i then use some distilled water spray on the brim to start where i want the bends/curls.......let the whole thing dry for a couple of hours and then finish the brim with mr. kettle....avoiding the crown as much as i can.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I'm pretty sure Gabrielles hat is a Fed IV. Trust me Gabrielle....you can use steam with no worries. I used a very hot conair steamer on my hat with ZERO problems.

Easybox had a bad experience with stetson shrinking to a lump of junk. Thats why he's hesitent to use steam. But if you're talking about an Akubra like I think you are then the difference is comparing dirt to gold. I say steam away. Even Akubra themselves tell you to do it in this vid!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ZWy3HfT7w
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

gabrielle wrote:
Vegeta wrote:I must be gifted or something...My fed is the first hat I've ever bashed and it turned out perfect the first time I did it.
I noticed that you managed to get a perfect crease. Maybe I should send my Fed to you for a bash and you can ship it back here...Of course I'd pay for the help.

I'd be happy to.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Thanks for all the info. guys, it's much appreciated.

And yes I will be bashing a FED IV, Vegeta, but not yet. For now I'm practicing on an old fedora I bought on eBay expressly for experimenting on before I try a good hat... :)
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

gabrielle wrote:And yes I will be bashing a FED IV, Vegeta, but not yet. For now I'm practicing on an old fedora I bought on eBay
Gabrielle- Excellent idea to practice. :idea: I've heard the "caution with steam" before but was instructed by a well respected fedora maker to use steam- with the caveat- "It only takes a little!" :!:

Then gently hold the bash till cool and dry. Post pictures when done. (Remember that if you are gentle - no nails, etc when you form- if you don't like it you can re-do the open crown and start again). Good luck!! :wink:
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I'm not afraid of the steam either, but I do believe that distilled water will do the trick. Then allow to dry and use steam if needed to soften and set the stubborn areas or if the felt is harder to shape...

This method I've honed to perfection from all the advice I've gotten here. I tried it on my practice hats and all went well.

I misted the hats all over with distilled water from a spray bottle and shaped the crown then allowed to dry on a stand. Then I applied light steam, also using distilled water, to the brim for the swoop and downward push in front. Finally I applied light steam to the front crown to make the camel humps bigger and more pronounced.

Thanks to all of you I feel ready to bash and not smash my Fed when I order. Also thanks for helping me to choose the Fed IV Deluxe.