Do you ever feel like a dork wearing a fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Do you ever feel like a dork wearing a fedora?

Post by blueoakleyz »

Or at least think others think you look like a dork?

Kinda concerned...
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

No, I feel cool, and I walk tall when I wear it! When you wear your fedora, you have to make it look good, and you have to be tough with it! :wink:

Shane
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Never, I consider others dorks for not wearing one!!! As I've said before you shouldn't care what other people think, you have your own mind and style, wear it every day and wear it well my friend...

:whip:
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Going out of syle

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Nice fedoras never go out of style, only people go out of style :D With a nice Fedora, you're sure to get noticed, but you can see in some of their eyes, "Wonder where he got that?!".
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Never.

Johnny
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Do you ever feel like a dork wearing a fedora?

Post by Magnum Jones »

blueoakleyz wrote:Or at least think others think you look like a dork?

Kinda concerned...
If you worry about other people or your image a fedora isn't for you :-k

However if you could care less?? Wear it with pride 8) .
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Finishing your dress

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

It used to be that you weren't completely dressed until you had a lid on your noggen. I think today's standards of dress are awful.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

If you wear it with your head down, shoulders slumped and walk around not making eye contact, others will pick up your insecurities about wearing the hat and then you WILL look like a bit of a goose.

If you wear it confidently (shoulders back, chest out while you walk, make eye contact and smile at people, you'll look great!

Go about your day as you would normally whilst wearing the hat and it will become apparent to others that you are confident in your head wear.

Don't wanna come off as a dork? Get used to the hat as part of your head! :twisted:
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

I Did when i first started wearing it, it seem every ones eyes as the pased buy would snap up and look at the hat :roll: :roll: . But the more you wear it out to every day things like working out side or hiking, #### i even wear it to wal-mart. I just don't care anymore what people think, i even pitty them for not haveing one.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nope, but then maybe they're too busy jumping out of the way as I'm driving the old Plymouth down the sidewalk to even notice I'm wearing a fedora. :-k

:wink:

Regards! Michaelson
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Michaelson wrote:Nope, but then maybe they're too busy jumping out of the way as I'm driving the old Plymouth down the sidewalk to even notice I'm wearing a fedora. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
:shock: :-k
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Michaelson wrote:Nope, but then maybe they're too busy jumping out of the way as I'm driving the old Plymouth down the sidewalk to even notice I'm wearing a fedora. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Is that before your morning coffee? :wink:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

blueoakleyz wrote:Do you ever feel like a dork wearing a fedora?
No. Why? Do you? ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ripper wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
Is that before your morning coffee? :wink:
No, during.... :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I echo other sentiments - it's all about your own atitude. I wear a grey fedora every day. It's not an AB, by any means, but it's a comfortable hat with a 'turn' and centre dent and has a very Indy-esque quality to it. I wear it with pride and do tend to receive compliments on it.

There came a time when ballcaps replaced the gentleman's hat, but some of us are still holding steadfast!
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I wore my seaplane grey AB to a show last night.....the ladies love a man in a nice hat...
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Why would I feel like a dork? My AB is a Indy fedora. It represents heroism, action and adventure. Those aren't exactly the things that make me feel like a dork. Instead my hat makes me feel proud.

Wear your hat with pride and never, ever worry about what other people think. If you love your hat, than for God sakes wear it!
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Man, if you feel like a dork wearing a fedora, maybe you shouldn't wear one. Fedoras are classy and display individuality and make you look sharp at the same time.

And i'd even say that people look at you diferrent, because it takes guts to wear a fedora around hundreds of idiots in straight-billed baseball caps with tags and stickers coming out of them, so it also calls for respect.
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I am a dork, so it's not a big deal. But I am a sharp-dressed, good-looking dork.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

never, I don't really put that much though to what people think of what I look like.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Know what, Cha Cha? This is hat I'm wearing. Folks laugh at me because I'm diffrent, which is ok because I'm laughing at them because I'm different.

Someone yells "Indiana Jones" I yell back "Eminem!" That shuts them up. If that doesn't, just the look I give them does. Sunglasses, leather jacket, fedora, attitude...
Sitting Rabbit wrote:It used to be that you weren't completely dressed until you had a lid on your noggin. I think today's standards of dress are awful.
I'm reading "Hatless Jack" and the rules about what hat to where during what season and what occasion is rediculous back then. The Fedora was ideal because it was the perfect lid for every occasion.

Some folks who wore fedoras and not Homburgs (according to other lititure) was a bit rebellious. Some of that fashion rebelion has to come back for the sake of my eyes and societies health.
gabrielle wrote:Never, I consider others dorks for not wearing one!!! As I've said before you shouldn't care what other people think, you have your own mind and style, wear it every day and wear it well my friend...

:whip:
Gabrielle - I would apprecate it if you would respect my privacy and stop reading my mind! OK?

Jokes aside, we are indeed surrounded by Dorks. But that's their choice and I have to accept that if I want them to accept me. If someone wants to look as if they just rolled out of bed at noon or just came from the gym and that makes them happy, that's fine.

Once they step into it with me, I'll politely rip into them like a bag of chips.
conceited_ape wrote:If you wear it with your head down, shoulders slumped and walk around not making eye contact, others will pick up your insecurities about wearing the hat and then you WILL look like a bit of a goose.

If you wear it confidently (shoulders back, chest out while you walk, make eye contact and smile at people, you'll look great!

Go about your day as you would normally whilst wearing the hat and it will become apparent to others that you are confident in your head wear.

Don't wanna come off as a dork? Get used to the hat as part of your head! :twisted:
Two true stories that proves what we're saying is true...

I'm at the Auto Parts store getting an air filter. I'm waiting to talk to the guy behind the counter about a part that I need. And there's this emasculated and effeminate dork (sandles and socks, in winter) standing there just chewing the fat... and this guy says to the fellow working behind the counter: "Hey, guess who showed up today?"

And the guy who's actually working says: "Who?"

And the Woody Allen says "Indiana Jones."

And I just turn my head stair at the guy. Just not saying a word, I just stare at the guy.

5 seconds become 10 seconds. 10 seconds become half a minute.

Then this guy mummbles: "Gee, I'm really sorry."

I conduct my buisness with the guy behind the counter and I get what I need. And the sissy must have appologized about 4 times.

Another incedent... my brother thought his girlfriend was cheating because he found a book mark to a dating site. He asked me if I would set up a sting. I set up an account (with my wife's permision) and I posted pictures of myself, including ones that I've used here for my Avatar.

I have hot chicks sending me e-mail adresses, street addresses, and phone numbers with matching provocitive pictures. A guy almost in his 40's, just as I am, is getting hit on like a Rock Star.

How many DORKS can say that?

Granted, maybe it was my powerful prose, but I'm also sure the fedora and the confedence to wear it had a lot to do with it. I've had more then my fair share of women stalkers on line, too. That's for another post.

Oh, and yea... we caught my brother's girfriend cheating.
Gater wrote:I echo other sentiments - it's all about your own atitude. I wear a grey fedora every day. It's not an AB, by any means, but it's a comfortable hat with a 'turn' and centre dent and has a very Indy-esque quality to it. I wear it with pride and do tend to receive compliments on it.

There came a time when ballcaps replaced the gentleman's hat, but some of us are still holding steadfast!
If the powers that be are still reading this - Gater would make for a great Mike Hammer if they were ever going to make movies from Spilane's books. You would be a fool not to consider him and his fedora.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

If your lid is something you reach for every time you head out the door, then you cannot look like anything less than yourself.

If its something you pull out of the "dress-up box", like young kids do, then you'll always be aware that you're in costume or just dressed like someone else and feel self-conscious about it.

Style is about who you are, not what you're wearing.
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

Who cares what others think. Wear your hat with pride. The idiots that make fun of others usually are the ones with the lowest self-esteem and need to bash others just to feel better about themselves.
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

If you look good in it wear it - and if you look like a dork - who cares - if you enjoy it forget everyone else!

Heck I look like a dork when I wear it, but i love it!
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I've never gottan a snide remark since I've gotten my fed....I've gotten so many compliments it's not even funny. I did get some know it all, emo kid who thought my hat was inacurate....I layed into him somthin' fierce!!
TheDetective1138
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by TheDetective1138 »

Vegeta wrote:I've never gottan a snide remark since I've gotten my fed....I've gotten so many compliments it's not even funny. I did get some know it all, emo kid who thought my hat was inacurate....I layed into him somthin' fierce!!
Oh, please do elapborate. That sounds like a fun story.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

It's not really anything crazy....I was at a birthday party and some people I know where complimenting me on my fed...A realative who is an avid indy fan mentioned my "indy hat" and this emo kid says outa the blue "thats no indy hat...thats a cowboy hat". I had a few drinks in me. So with conviction in my voice I told him how he's the last person who would know what a real indy hat would look like. I proceded to give him specs, makers, history, color, measurements and the whole nine. This kid knows I own several cowboy hats and I'm a prop collector to boot!! After my tyrade he didnt have a single rebuttle and just had to sit there, with his friends all arround him....defeated by the facts.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Never! I usually feel naked & incomplete without my hat when I walk out the door. I would feel like something was missing. It has become an intergral part of who I am & what I do every day. So, no I don't feel like a dork. I suppose I'd feel like one without my hat though.

Cheers!

Dan
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Dorks with fedoras unite!!!

Together we can change the way hats are viewed and bring back sanity to the world. Let's put it on a bumper sticker...someday we will be as big as Masons.

:rolling:

In my defense I have a fever and am home from work, sick!!! :(
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

gabrielle wrote:...someday we will be as big as Masons.
Dude, we're bigger then The Masons.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

mufflowne wrote:Man, if you feel like a dork wearing a fedora, maybe you shouldn't wear one. Fedoras are classy and display individuality and make you look sharp at the same time.

And i'd even say that people look at you diferrent, because it takes guts to wear a fedora around hundreds of idiots in straight-billed baseball caps with tags and stickers coming out of them, so it also calls for respect.
Lol I wear hats with stickers on them too
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Renderking Fisk wrote:
gabrielle wrote:...someday we will be as big as Masons.
Dude, we're bigger then The Masons.
perry mason? thats pretty big......we'd be generating our on gravitational pull if that were the case :lol:

though i love to wear hats bashed by mr. delk.....there's nothing better than sporting a fed that was open crowned just the other day and you've just recently put your style into her. each turn and dent in the felt is there by your own hand and the whole shape is suited to match your facial profile........how can you not bear that with pride?
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

An interesting tidbit about how hats used to be so important: According to the book American Brutus, John Wilkes Booth packed an extra hat in his saddlebag because he knew he'd probably lose it leaping to the stage after assassinating Lincoln and he'd never be able to talk his way past the soldiers guarding the bridges without a hat.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Renderking Fisk wrote: Oh, and yea... we caught my brother's girfriend cheating.
Ouch!
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

blueoakleyz wrote: Lol I wear hats with stickers on them too
That would explain why you feel like a dork. Diferrence in cultures i guess.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I never said I felt like a dork..
wearp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by wearp »

My friends, its called panache. The more you have, the better you look.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Last edited by 3thoubucks on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Regards! Michaelson
...I have actually followed Michaelson in my truck! What was I thinking? :shock:
Nicolas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nicolas Jones »

NEVER! I realy like my Fedora and I am happy to were it!
It was of course strange when I put my first one one my head, but 5min later it was OK

Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

I wore mine to Wal-Mart the other day and was looking at the IJ toys, but decided that wasn't the time to be taking TJ toys through the checkout line. You just KNOW the comments would come then. ;)

(Not that I couldn't have handled them, but I was in no mood.)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty comfortable being myself. I know for those who don't wear hats it could be a little bit of a self concious thing at first but will wear off.

While most people in the 20 something age range would shudder at compliments on attire from those in the 60 something age range.. I like the compliments I get on my choice in headgear.. I can't wait to get my Keppler so I can wear a "real" fedora! I currently wear several straw ones in a Sinatraish look and have a couple of berrets I wear.

But it does take time to get used to stares while wearing anything out of the typical ball cap range... Just beware of a slick elderly guy in Orlando area Targets that compliments you on your hat then tries to sell you a shady investment deal.. :shock:

I didn't take the bait. haha
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Vegeta wrote: After my tyrade he didnt have a single rebuttle and just had to sit there, with his friends all arround him....defeated by the facts.
Proof that alcohol + indy gear = priceless. :lol:
Earl Weber
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Earl Weber »

I walked all around Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station for the past few days wearing my fedora and the only comment I got besides "I like your hat" was, of course, to be called Indy. :whip: :roll: I can't say it's not something I didn't anticipate, and in the military if you don't get one kind of nickname it'll be another. Indy is all right with me.

I understand your concern though, I felt like I had a giant neon sign following me around the first few times I wore my hat outside. I'm glad I stuck with it though, because the only comments I've gotten have been positive, and those have usually come from some very attractive ladies. 8) Just last night I walked into a bar on the Canada side of the falls and had a very pretty girl immediately ask to try on my hat. Wear your hat, you'll like it and so will everyone else.
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

Being a 21 year old in college..I get constant heckling from people....I get a lot of compliments but a lot of negatrons throwning negative comments....One guy said to me once, "It's 2007, not 1947." I really don't care....I like my hat for what it is...even if it's a DP...I can't wait for my mags HJ so I can burn the DP...ill probably give the DP to my little cousin or something.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Indycrazy5187 wrote:Being a 21 year old in college..I get constant heckling from people....I get a lot of compliments but a lot of negatrons throwning negative comments....One guy said to me once, "It's 2007, not 1947." I really don't care....I like my hat for what it is...even if it's a DP...I can't wait for my mags HJ so I can burn the DP...ill probably give the DP to my little cousin or something.
Heh, I have a Disneyland DP sitting on my desk. I thought about getting rid of it, but really, it's my real first Indy themed hat. And it's pretty much the same hat I wanted that was available when the original trilogy was out on VHS, and you could order it from the pamphlet that came with the videos.

I've worn my Fed IV out in public a few times, and I'm about to go shopping for a bit as well. Going to wear to the mall in a few. And no, I don't feel like a dork wearing the hat.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Indycrazy5187 wrote:One guy said to me once, "It's 2007, not 1947."
To that I would have said........"Whats that got to do with the price of apples? It's not my fault you have no sence of class or style."
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

It's 2007 not 1947!

Post by YARVTON »

And thankfully its NOT 1977 -- though my Dad wore his hats through the 60's and 70's until the end in 1980. It's 2007 and many of the most Fashionable as well as Stylish Gents are wearing hats.

Last night as I waited in line to pick up theatre tickets, I noticed a few hat wearers around. One guy came in, looked around to see which was the right line, and walked over to me and asked "Is this the line for tonight?".
There were probably close to a hundred people around, but I was wearing a hat and so was he, so were're evidently members of the same fraternity, or something! Same thing on the way to my seat as the "Hat Guys" notice and nod, as if to say "He's OK".

And as a side note, I saw NO baseball caps in attendance.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Nay.

If the thought ever occurred to me in the auto-parts store? It was utterly dispelled when I looked at the guy in front of me with the :

Ball Cap, Oakley's and "beater" tank shirt (gag me with a GINSU!!!) Totally.

And if the cashier is a Marion? She respects the purchases, as they are for a vintage Australian Convertible.

I get a "love the hat," from her and the, "ball cap guy," got double charged for the shop rags.

Dress sharp my brother man. Distinguish your bad self.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I'll be honest, at first I felt very self conscious. I felt like everyone was looking at me. Every so often, I still get that feeling. The other day, LM and I were in Wal-Mart, and these two girls (who couldn't have been a day over 21) were staring at me and giggling. We couldn't tell if they thought I was cute or if they were laughing at me. Every so often, I feel like a dork, but not too often.

As for responses to people, Miss Manners put it best:

"I dress as I see fit, as I'm sure you do, too."