Split decision

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Split decision

Post by The_Edge »

I'm looking to get a leather splitter. So I turn to my fellow whip making enthusiasts for advice. What splitter are you using? What did you pay (if you don't mind me asking)? Is Mike Murphy's way overpriced? What qualities should I look for?

—Kyle
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

You should ask Louie Fox, he has one...
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Sorry I meant he has a splitter, not that it's a Mike Murphy...
bernie47
Vendor
Location: In the workshop making whips.Western Creek Tasmania Australia

Post by bernie47 »

The monkeys and peanuts theory applies for splitters as it does for whips. I have one of Mikes splitters and have found it to be excellent to use,very accurate and if you know what your doing very easy to sharpen when it needs it. I have two splitters and for all my fine work I use Mikes splitter exclusively. If you want quality you have to be prepared to pay for it.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

G'day Bernie! Long time no speak! What's new in your part of the world sir?

Curious though, what's the "monkeys and peanuts theory"?
Cheers,

Franco
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I have an Osborne splitter from Siegel of California, and I got it on sale a couple of years ago for about $300.

When I'm just evening out heavy strands, it's great, but when I'm splitting fine strings way down, I can tell that the roller isn't perfectly round/centered and I end up with minor variances in thickness.

If you get one, I think it's possible to take the roller to a qualified machinist and have him true up the roller, though I don't think all Osborne's have this problem.

-Adam

PS: Edge, how's your can-cutting skills coming?
bernie47
Vendor
Location: In the workshop making whips.Western Creek Tasmania Australia

Post by bernie47 »

G'day Franco.Nothing new over here apart from our dollar being to high. Just beavering away in the shed. The monkeys and peanuts theory applies to hiring workers really meaning that if you pay peanuts what you usually get is monkeys. You can usually apply this to goods as well.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I use an osborne #86 splitter. I got an amazing deal on it last winter, something like $240ish with shipping.

I used to have the cheap splitter that tandy sold. It was @#$%, I got a great deal on it, and ended up selling it for about double what I paid for it. The Tandy one had a wheel that was very off center. So stay away from the Tandy one.

Hey Kyle, I'll be down in Vancouver on 6/10 performing at Harmony Elem, if you're free that afternoon let me know and we can crack or talk whipmaking.

xoxo

Louie
http://www.bullwhips.org
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Thanks for the info everyone. Very helpful. I'm exploring some other possibilities so I'll keep you posted.

Louie, I'll see what I can do.

Adam, I haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll see about shooting some video of it.