Now official. Crystal Skull fedoras are ABs.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Fedora wrote:
If you look (and not even closely) you can see how the brown hat has a heavy taper front to back in the interrogation scene, you can see it in other scenes like the car chase as well but the interrogation scene gives you a good direct side view.
Yeah, I cringed when I saw that. But, THAT was the first hat that got totally saturated and Bernie did not know to pop out the crown to let it dry. On the next hat that got saturated he did pop out that crown. We talked about it on the phone right after it happened. So, the tapered hat, in the film should have been swapped out for another one. Not like they did not have plenty left over and not used. :lol: I think at the time, he MAY have had only a couple of hats with him for Harrison, or had his hats already "set" for other scenes and had to use that one.

On the gray hat, well, I MAY have been sneaky and sneaked my original Raiders block back into the film........ :wink:

By the way, the liners were snow white as sent. They had to tone down the white, and although you can't see them, they even added fake sweat stains on the hat you see the inside of. To me, the liner just looks like some that I get in that are extraordinarily dirty...... :lol: Fedora
I think next time around they should take the reins away from Bernie and let you do what you want with the hats because I did cringe when I saw how it looked. Maybe not bad to some but a taper that is soo obvious I just think should have never made it to the screen.

I hope they pull you on set if they do a sequel to keep the hat looking proper.

Again... the grey was the best and that to me is unfortunate... No more letting other guys mess with the block. You know what Indy's hat should look like and you nailed it to be proportional with his face. I don't think they have your eye (Fedora) when it comes to how the hat looks best.
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

Gearheads > Costume Designers :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

BoilermakerJones wrote:The hats are probably the only thing in the film that no one will complain about!! Great work Steve and Marc!!

Piker - Cut Indiana G some slack. As he says, he's a canuck, so he may get his US state abbreviations confused. :)

Matt
my apoligies piker, i did get the abbreviations mixed up....i was too lazy to look up the spelling of Mississippi and also couldn't remember the song :D

no offense to all of the southerners on the board of course.......a geographic faupe in my part....comperable to calling a kiwi an aussie, a calgarian an edmontonian (KN :P ), or a scot a brit.

thanks for getting my six boilermaker .....love that name, reminds me of cam neely :D
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Will someone help me understand all this taper business? It's when the hat looks like the McDonalds Arch /\, correct? This is what we don't want to happen to our lids, right? I'm just trying to figure it out. I looked at the Fedora question board, but I want to make sure I understand. Thanks. :)
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Yes, most hat wearers seem to like taper or at least it doesn't concern them, but most people on this board are dead set against it because their ideal Indy hat is the straight-sided Raiders fedora. It really comes down to a matter of taste, though; the stovepipe look went out of fashion long ago and is now associated with Abraham Lincoln and Amish farmers by many. Aside from hardcore fans like us, most people who are aware of Indy associate any fedora, tapered or not, with the Indy look.

I even read a post by a fan on theraider.net who said he couldn't understand why Spielberg & Co. went to so much trouble looking for a new hat for Indy to wear in CS, when they could have easily bought their hats from Disneyland. So, apparently even many fans don't care as much about taper as gearheads do.

Jack
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

That is truly sad. Seriously, imagine Indy in a Dorfman....
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Ha! No doubt. :)

The Stovepipe look is most closely met in Raiders, right?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Yes, especially in the early scenes outside of the temple. But even in Raiders there are some hats with a degree of taper.

Jack
Alan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alan »

eazybox wrote:I even read a post by a fan on theraider.net who said he couldn't understand why Spielberg & Co. went to so much trouble looking for a new hat for Indy to wear in CS, when they could have easily bought their hats from Disneyland.
Indy would look ridiculous with those big ears on top.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Alan wrote:
eazybox wrote:I even read a post by a fan on theraider.net who said he couldn't understand why Spielberg & Co. went to so much trouble looking for a new hat for Indy to wear in CS, when they could have easily bought their hats from Disneyland.
Indy would look ridiculous with those big ears on top.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I think the AB's looked fantastic in the film. Best Indy hats since Raiders!
Congrats again to both Steve and Marc for getting their works of art in the film.
'Blues
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

IndyBlues wrote:I think the AB's looked fantastic in the film. Best Indy hats since Raiders!
Congrats again to both Steve and Marc for getting their works of art in the film.
'Blues
I agree with Blues.
Even if I didn't know Steve and Marc I would still be calling this the best hat film in years. The hat looked fantastic, from the beginning to the ending scene.
Very well done!
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

IndyBlues wrote:I think the AB's looked fantastic in the film. Best Indy hats since Raiders!
'Blues
Couldn't have said it better my self, hats off to you two
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

'Blues
Absolutely! No doubt about it. :D
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think the Crystal Skull hat is my favorite, to be honest. I love the Raiders hat, it is classic. It is the reason why I got into this whole money pit to begin with. But the Crystal Skull hat is soemthing else!

Dave
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

AB

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

Do the AB hats have the Staff of Ra insignia inside the hat?
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I believe they have now switched, due to some discrepancies with copyrights.
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

AB

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

I see...because some guy is peddling an AB with a RA insignia on Ebay and I was wondering if it was authentic...I wouldn't buy it anyway since I ordered a magnoli but I was just curious
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

The original ABs had the Staff of Ra as the label, but this was switched within the last year, so it could be authentic. Hard to say, without seeing it. Some of the other guys here know much more about it then I do.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I believe the Staff of Ra logo is still being used. It is my understanding that Marc and Steve will continue to use the Staff of Ra until they run out, at which point they will switch to the pyramid logo.

Dave
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

DR Ulloa wrote:I believe the Staff of Ra logo is still being used. It is my understanding that Marc and Steve will continue to use the Staff of Ra until they run out, at which point they will switch to the pyramid logo.

Dave
That's right, my KOTCS AB which I received a few weeks ago has the headpiece logo.

Jack
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

Sorry for asking as this might be well known. Is AB Indy fedoras made by Steve in the US or Marc in Germany?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

taikonaut wrote:Sorry for asking as this might be well known. Is AB Indy fedoras made by Steve in the US or Marc in Germany?
AB - steve
AB deluxe - marc

:D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

AB's are U.S. made by Steve, and AB Deluxes are made in Germany by Marc.

what g said..... :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

Michaelson wrote:AB's are U.S. made by Steve, and AB Deluxes are made in Germany by Marc.

Regards! Michaelson
That made things a bit clearer, but who made the fedoras for Indy 4?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Dorfman? :-k

I'll be hiding under the Plymouth if you need me for the rest of the afternoon. 8)

Seriously, both Steve AND Marc made the fedoras for Indy IV.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Wed May 28, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

its common knowledge that mark at baron hats supplied the indy iv fedoras.........in pecan colour.......cuz they were left over from temple of doom.......... :P

move over michaelson, i'm coming under.....got some coffee too :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Come on in! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

taikonaut wrote:
Michaelson wrote:AB's are U.S. made by Steve, and AB Deluxes are made in Germany by Marc.

Regards! Michaelson
That made things a bit clearer, but who made the fedoras for Indy 4?
Also, the main site has details about the fedoras for all 4 films:

http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html

as well as the story of Adventurebilt and their involvement in the fourth film:

http://www.indygear.com/igABstory.html

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I don't think they have your eye (Fedora) when it comes to how the hat looks best.
Thanks Matt. But the thing is, Steven chose the brown hat. He could have went with the gray specs, but did not do so. The hat that Bernie and Ford picked was NOT the one Steven liked. Steven had the final say so in this. So, Bernie gave Steven what Steven wanted.

We had already made enough hats to get the film started when Bernie found out, Steven was to film the costume and pick which hat he wanted. Bernie just gave him 5 or 6 different looks, and I found out last week that there were other brands of hats in that costume test. I won't mention who else was there, that is, which hatters. Fedora
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

Thanks for the info. You see not kept in pace with what is going on till the last couple of weeks, was last here in 2005 as part of my research in film history and the last PM I had was from Steve before I left here. Did Deborah Landis joined this board eventually?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Did Deborah Landis joined this board eventually?
No, she never did.

Regards! Michaelson
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

Michaelson wrote:
Did Deborah Landis joined this board eventually?
No, she never did.

Regards! Michaelson
Thats a pity. I know she is so proud of her work. Last email I had from her she mentioned about her new book on history of costume making in Hollywood just before last Xmas.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

So why wasn't Noodelman chosen for this film? I think a worn in hat would have looked better than a hat out of the box and frosted with fullers, and i think she could have pulled it off.

And what's other people's take on the hats? Did they look too unused to you or am I the only one that thinks Indy's hat looked very un-distressed?
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Mrs. Landis nee Nadoolman

Post by YARVTON »

Even if she were Costume Designer, Mr. Pollack most likely would still have been Personal Costumer to Harrison Ford. He's been clothing Ford for a dozen years or so.

And That Hat has been a classic for over a hundred years now, modified though it is from time to time.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Question for "FEDORA"

Post by YARVTON »

Have you ever made a copy of the Old Original "Poet" -- wide brim, wide ribbon, other-than-brown color. Is there a place to see the specifications? I remember a photograph from a HJ catalogue -- though I remember it as on The Fedora Lounge. Many Thanks in Advance!
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Mattdeckard wrote:So why wasn't Noodelman chosen for this film? I think a worn in hat would have looked better than a hat out of the box and frosted with fullers, and i think she could have pulled it off.

And what's other people's take on the hats? Did they look too unused to you or am I the only one that thinks Indy's hat looked very un-distressed?
I think Deborah Nadoolman lost favor with Spielberg & Lucas by delegating too much of her work and allowiing Berman's and Nathan's to gain ownership over the screen-used jackets. I may not have it exactly right, but I believe that's the gist of it, and the full details are now on the main site. I agree that her work on Raiders was exceptional. The hat in particular has so many fascinating nuances to it.

As for the way the hat looks in KOTCS, I personally think it's terrific, but I also noticde that it looks pretty much undistressed throughout the movie, and I guess that can be blamed on the superior quality of Adventurebilt hats. :wink:

Jack
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Oh... the distressed hat look is half the fun.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Mattdeckard wrote:Oh... the distressed hat look is half the fun.
It may have had something to do with Harrison's craggy features. Maybe they thought an undistressed hat compliments him better now. I'm sure even an AB could eventually be made to look beaten up on film.

Jack
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Aging Fedora

Post by YARVTON »

If the Star looks old, the Fedora should look new -- must be the motto. I don't understand why so many are bothered by Indy's aging. This is the most honest element of the screenplay. Bogart aged a lot over a short period of time. And while I remember this -- Bogart in "Sabrina" was a lot more convincing that Mr. Ford in the remake.

And while not technically the same character, John Wayne kept on going until the end with the same "type" at least.
Russ
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Russ »

Why isn't this thread a sticky? Took me a long time to find it again.