Now official. Crystal Skull fedoras are ABs.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Fedoraman wrote:He has certainly stayed in good physical condition for a guy his age - but when I see him age, it reminds me that I am not as young as I used to be either :cry:

The thing that makes me nervous about the film is the believability factor goes waaaaaay down with an old, grampa Indy. Admittedly, the whole series is an excercise in suspension of disbelief, but a 65 year old guy dodging bullets and beating the tar out much younger guys is hard to swallow.
I know a few guys in their 50's and 60's that I wouldn't want to tangle with!
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

No doubt. He's in much better shape then most, and there is no one else I would want in that outfit. Don't be nervous; Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford wouldn't let Indy look foolish.
Ozraptor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ozraptor »

I know a 75 year old who's in better shape than me. #### Alaskans! Who do they think they are, smoking their own salmon…
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The thing that makes me nervous about the film is the believability factor goes waaaaaay down with an old, grampa Indy. Admittedly, the whole series is an excercise in suspension of disbelief, but a 65 year old guy dodging bullets and beating the tar out much younger guys is hard to swallow.

:D I see where you are coming from, but being almost 57, I can still recall when my grandpa jumped a barbed wire fence at age 73 and basically beat the tar out of his new fellow farmer who had called him a s.o.b. over that same fence.

Back when folks used to do hard labor, SOME of them could have still pulled off some pretty good stuff even at that age. Most of us don't literally use our bodies anymore in our livlihood, and all you have to do is look around you at the out of shape, overweight folks these days. I don't recall this as a youth.

I watched my grandpa drive 30 feet of pipe in the ground at age 75, using a sledge hammer, to source water for our hog farm. I was 16, fit as a fiddle, and this old man showed me up, really, really bad. He not only outworked me, he ended up driving that pipe himself as I gave completely out. So, I can easily see Indy as a guy like my grandpa, and my dad, and their peers. Folks from that era were tough as hickory nuts, and many of us today, are not even aware of that fact. Few of us actually keep our bodies fit by hard work. Well, I remember that sort of work TOO well. I don't miss it. :lol:

So, it may be unbelievable today, but it was not always so. Our belief systems in regards to this sort of thing has been fashioned by Hollywood over the years, as young, virile men sell more tickets generally. Since much of the movie going public is young, this determines the sort of 'star" one will see when going to the picture shows. (a great archaic term).

In the past, not all explorers were young, attractive males. :lol: And not all adventurers were still wet behind the ears. So, for me at least, I can relate to an older Indy. I grew up around them. Fedora
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

And don't forget Harrison is acting. He may be 65, but Indy is only 58... :lol: So Harrison's acting like he's 58! :wink:
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

This is one of the reasons why the movie will be so successful. It will appeal to all ages!
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Minnesota Jones wrote:And don't forget Harrison is acting. He may be 65, but Indy is only 58... :lol: So Harrison's acting like he's 58! :wink:
:lol: Funny post.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Fedoraman wrote:He has certainly stayed in good physical condition for a guy his age - but when I see him age, it reminds me that I am not as young as I used to be either :cry:

Ummmm....I was only 51 when I stopped dodging bullets and beating the tar out of younger guys. Ain't retirement great!
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Thousand Truths »

Hey Steve if your reading this could you let me know if you got my PM or e-mail? The e-mail address I sent it from was Jokerboy649@gmail.com. Thanks!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey Steve if your reading this could you let me know if you got my PM or e-mail? The e-mail address I sent it from was Jokerboy649@gmail.com. Thanks!
No, no email from you. I don't use the pm box here, as I have to keep info in one place. Less confusing like that. Please email me again, and if I don't get it, I will go and spend an hour sorting through my spam folder at my server. Spam blockers are a blessing and a curse. I have two. One on my outlook that is easy to access, and then one at my server that can contain a thouand spam emails. 25 per page, so it takes a long time to read each page, delete the bad ones, and then move to the next page. If you don't hear from me, resend. The second ones usually get to me, unless you appear to be spam. Thanks. Steve
Alan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alan »

Sorry to keep this off topic topic going, but I really don't see what the problem is with an older Indy. They're certainly going to acknowledge his age in the film.

Besides, that stylish AB takes 10 years off him! :lol:
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Thousand Truths »

Fedora wrote:
No, no email from you. I don't use the pm box here, as I have to keep info in one place. Less confusing like that. Please email me again, and if I don't get it, I will go and spend an hour sorting through my spam folder at my server. Spam blockers are a blessing and a curse. I have two. One on my outlook that is easy to access, and then one at my server that can contain a thouand spam emails. 25 per page, so it takes a long time to read each page, delete the bad ones, and then move to the next page. If you don't hear from me, resend. The second ones usually get to me, unless you appear to be spam. Thanks. Steve
Oh okay thanks for letting me know! I just sent off a second email with the subject line in CAPS saying "EMAIL FROM COW MEMBER" so it should hopefully be easier to find! :D
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Fedora wrote: I don't use the pm box here, as I have to keep info in one place. Less confusing like that.
Ah, that explains why you don't answer your PM's - and here I thought you were just snubbing me :wink:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

A thought just occurred to me. We know now that Steve and Marc used plain white liners without a logo, and those liners were dyed once they got on set. What about the sweatbands? Did they at least use the sweats with their company name, or does Ford not know who's hat he was wearing for three months?
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I would be interested in knowing this as well. :o
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

Congratulations. Saw the film and think it looks a treat!! well done.
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Steve - Just saw the movie and I think the gray "Indy travel hat" looks more like the Raiders fedora than the browns. I know you have said it is a different block than any of the others - an old one if I remember right.

I think I want mine to be built on that block.
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Great looking hats

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Steve,
After indulging myself last night at the premiere, your hats were stunning...in my opinion the best piece of gear in the film...both the grey and brown hats were just awesome looking! Congratulations on a job well done, and thanks for all your hard work!
-Zack
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

What? Indy wore a GRAY travel hat? You've got to be kidding me! :shock:

I am actually quite glad that Spielberg lit the grat hat very well, so that Texas Raider wouldn't have a bunch of people on COW keep asking him if the hat in KotCS was gray or brown. It sure did look a lot like my gray AB!

On the Raiders hat Spielberg said, "It was gray. Why do people keep asking me that #^&!!*% question?"
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:On the Raiders hat Spielberg said, "It was gray. Why do people keep asking me that #^&!!*% question?"
8-[ :rolling:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Steve and Marc, the hats looked great! I could not take my eyes off the film last night. It was the highlight of his gear. Congradulations guys!

Dave
Swamp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swamp »

I will be e-mailing steve to change my grey AB from Raven's Bar to a KotCS travel fedora bash, which looked oustanding and would look perfect with a suit or a romp in the woods.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Truly, the hat really was memsmorizing on screen!! There were so many things about the movie that were wonderful to me, and really made me smile. However, I truly couldn't keep my eyes off the AB, and couldn't be prouder or more excited about getting my very own. :D
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

the hat looked great. Only comments at the moment I have are that it looked too un-distressed through the movie and that it definitely has taper from front to back. It's a good looking hat. i just wish they would have dipped the front and back a bit more.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i thought those hats were beauties! kudos to the AB team!

i recall steve saying that bernie wanted tough real world gear....perhaps the AB was too good as it looked brand new throughout the movie. the only crinkle i saw was in the final climactic scene.....betcha bernie's team had to work reaaaaaaaallly hard to get that crinkle :lol: :lol:
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Mattdeckard wrote:the hat looked great. Only comments at the moment I have are that it looked too un-distressed through the movie and that it definitely has taper from front to back. It's a good looking hat. i just wish they would have dipped the front and back a bit more.
Last edited by Piker on Fri May 23, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Indiana G wrote:i thought those hats were beauties! kudos to the AB team!

i recall steve saying that bernie wanted tough real world gear....perhaps the AB was too good as it looked brand new throughout the movie. the only crinkle i saw was in the final climactic scene.....betcha bernie's team had to work reaaaaaaaallly hard to get that crinkle :lol: :lol:
A bit more distressing on all the goods would have been nice. I just love action gear that looks like it's seen action. Theoretically I'm sure he's wearing a new hat since it is several years later, but they look like they were just taken off the block and then some dust was thrown on them.
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

Those hats looked great! Even better than raiders. I thought the distressing was great. The brim always looked all crumpled up and stuff. And the hat was turned throughout some of the movie
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

A bit more distressing on all the goods would have been nice. I just love action gear that looks like it's seen action. Theoretically I'm sure he's wearing a new hat since it is several years later, but they look like they were just taken off the block and then some dust was thrown on them.
Sure it is supposed to be 20 years or so later in the storyline, but maybe the hat is only supposed to be 5 years old at the time of the story. Working on archeological digs wears a hat fairly quickly.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I thought the gear wore very well; perhaps as good or better then all the films.
Last edited by Mr. Z on Fri May 23, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thanks guys. But, really this was Bernie's hat-his own vision of what Indy should wear in this film. The gray hat was all ME.

When I talked to Bernie a couple of days ago, he mentioned that there were enough hats left from this film to make another film. Apparently the hats held up super well, as I could see from watching the film. And he must not have used all that we made for Harrison. What really caught my eye was that the hats seemed just a little too short. And that surprised me, as I thought they would look too tall after seeing some of the production pics. So, I am quite surprised by this. Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

are you happy with how they looked on screen Steve. I thought they looked great, even when they got wet they looked fantastic. The grey was just wonderfull looking hat.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

It's a testimony to the quality of your hats that he said that Steve. Congratulations, I loved watching the film, and I loved seeing your hats on the big screen. :junior: -M
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

I thought the grey hat looked the best.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

I thought the grey hat looked the best. block and shape.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Fedora wrote:Thanks guys. But, really this was Bernie's hat-his own vision of what Indy should wear in this film. The gray hat was all ME.

When I talked to Bernie a couple of days ago, he mentioned that there were enough hats left from this film to make another film. Apparently the hats held up super well, as I could see from watching the film. And he must not have used all that we made for Harrison. What really caught my eye was that the hats seemed just a little too short. And that surprised me, as I thought they would look too tall after seeing some of the production pics. So, I am quite surprised by this. Fedora
i'm thinking the 'short' look is an illusion because he wore the hat so far up on his forehead (ie TOD jungle poker scene).

sooooo....is bernie look'n to let go some of the unused hats??? perhaps back to the steve delk collection back in columbus, mi???? there's a certain canuck that would donate organs to finance the acquisition of a hat....oh wait a sec....ford's got a bigger head....never mind :lol:
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Fedora wrote:When I talked to Bernie a couple of days ago, he mentioned that there were enough hats left from this film to make another film.
Let's hope that is indeed the case!

I really thought the grey hats stood out much more than they did in Raiders. Too bad he had to get rid of his so quickly, but, hey, he was in a jam. ;)
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

columbus, mi????
MI? As in Michigan?? Steve, I do declare, he called you a, Yankee.

You mean Columbus, MS, son.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

The hats are probably the only thing in the film that no one will complain about!! Great work Steve and Marc!!

Piker - Cut Indiana G some slack. As he says, he's a canuck, so he may get his US state abbreviations confused. :)

Matt
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

hat

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

The gray hat did look good i have to admit.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

I just think the grey hat had the Raiders look. If you look (and not even closely) you can see how the brown hat has a heavy taper front to back in the interrogation scene, you can see it in other scenes like the car chase as well but the interrogation scene gives you a good direct side view.

The grey hat definitely looks to have a higher crown and a wider brim. It has more of a Raiders look and I think the dimensions just look much better on his face. More of an epic appeal that the lower tapered look takes away. I agree with the above... too bad the grey hat was lost in the fight.

I think the brown hat only really looked good at the end when it had more distress showing. Looks like one that has been wet and just dried into a more used shape.

As I stated before, the hats just look too undistressed and when they are distressed, they are covered in dust while Mutt's hair and the rest of Indy's outfit are pretty clean. The distressing is too uniform unlike in the previous movies where the hat looks sweaty in the right places and dirty in the right places.
Last edited by Mattdeckard on Sat May 24, 2008 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

The gray hat is the best part of the movie!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I really liked the gray one as well, but the hero hat was my favorite. I love the crease. It is a really beautiful hat. When I first saw it, I didn't really like it. But after seeing it on screen, I think it is my favorite. I love the Raiders hat, it is a classic, but the CS hat is something else.

Dave
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

DR Ulloa wrote:I really liked the gray one as well, but the hero hat was my favorite. I love the crease. It is a really beautiful hat. When I first saw it, I didn't really like it. But after seeing it on screen, I think it is my favorite. I love the Raiders hat, it is a classic, but the CS hat is something else.

Dave
I agree with you. The photos didn't do it justice, and seeing it on screen really takes your breath away.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

If you look (and not even closely) you can see how the brown hat has a heavy taper front to back in the interrogation scene, you can see it in other scenes like the car chase as well but the interrogation scene gives you a good direct side view.
Yeah, I cringed when I saw that. But, THAT was the first hat that got totally saturated and Bernie did not know to pop out the crown to let it dry. On the next hat that got saturated he did pop out that crown. We talked about it on the phone right after it happened. So, the tapered hat, in the film should have been swapped out for another one. Not like they did not have plenty left over and not used. :lol: I think at the time, he MAY have had only a couple of hats with him for Harrison, or had his hats already "set" for other scenes and had to use that one.

On the gray hat, well, I MAY have been sneaky and sneaked my original Raiders block back into the film........ :wink:

By the way, the liners were snow white as sent. They had to tone down the white, and although you can't see them, they even added fake sweat stains on the hat you see the inside of. To me, the liner just looks like some that I get in that are extraordinarily dirty...... :lol: Fedora
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

It was nice to see Indy wearing a piece of MY gear. AB
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

No doubt!

After seeing this movie, I am even more eager to get my AB. I wonder where we are on the orders these days. :)
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

AB

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

I've been eager to get a AB ever since I watched the featurette on Indy.com when Bernie mentions Steve's name. But with the slew of orders he gets these days, I may wait a while for it to die down if it ever does, then place an order.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Indycrazy5187, if you're even the slightest bit interested, you should place an order now, as he is bound to get even more bombarded with orders. Steve lets you place hats on layaway too, so you can get your name on the list early. :)
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

Mr. Z wrote:Indycrazy5187, if you're even the slightest bit interested, you should place an order now, as he is bound to get even more bombarded with orders. Steve lets you place hats on layaway too, so you can get your name on the list early. :)
Layaway is gone, but i see your point.