Wested's novapella

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wested's novapella

Post by IndyK »

I'm very, very pleased with my novapella jacket from Peter. As said in another thread this jacket feels the way I've always thought the Raiders-jacket looked - if You get my meaning...

I recently made these photo for Peter so lets use this thread to show our novapellas from Wested :D

Cheers
Indy-K
Last edited by IndyK on Sat May 10, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozraptor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ozraptor »

I honestly think the Wested version has more character than the film-used jacket.

Although Peter still hasn't got the pockets looking as good as they can. Why does it have to be an extra-special request every time in order to get nice shapely pockets? Are they harder somehow? Those pockets look pretty bland and shapeless to my eyes. They ought to be longer too.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Yes, those pockes are a bit weak. Those flaps need tweaking - seriously.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Although they are not as curvy as we like... they are very true to the screen jacket. Hmmmm, I wonder why?? :). (answer below)

Nice pic IndyK, it brings out the warmth of the leather that you see in person that cameras often seem to filter out a bit.

Answer: Peter did it first!
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

That's one nice looking jacket! Great picture as well.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

It's not just the curve - it's the depth. The flap in the film version is deeper and the pocket somewhat less long.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Great picture! You should take one of the distressed cowhide jacket. Oh, and the denim too: photos on the Wested site are really bad! #-o
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

And... please remember that the correct word is novapelle (it means 'new-skin') not novapella!! It's Italian! :wink:
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

Anyone knows whether the Novapelle jacket will be available at Wested's online shop after May 22nd?

EDIT: ...found the Novapelle leather type, but will they also update their "Indy Jacket Style" selection box for "Indy IV style" ??
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

TheFedoraGuy wrote:Anyone knows whether the Novapelle jacket will be available at Wested's online shop after May 22nd?

EDIT: ...found the Novapelle leather type, but will they also update their "Indy Jacket Style" selection box for "Indy IV style" ??
If you order CS Style they'll know!

Pockets should be higher and it shouldn't have the seam at the bottom of the jacket to be SA, also ask for narrow box stitch on the side straps, they tend to use square boxes.

I'm REALLY short, so they probably had to do that or the pockets whould be halfway up my chest!
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

Thanks Kt. Seems my next Wested is due :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Ozraptor wrote:I honestly think the Wested version has more character than the film-used jacket.

Although Peter still hasn't got the pockets looking as good as they can. Why does it have to be an extra-special request every time in order to get nice shapely pockets? Are they harder somehow? Those pockets look pretty bland and shapeless to my eyes. They ought to be longer too.
the pockets on the Tony Nowak jacket isn't the nice and scalloped flaps as we all want on a RAIDERS jacket.that jacket is meant to have those flaps.

look at KT's picture.notice how those flaps are EXACLY like what you get on a standard wested jacket from peter?

my jacket should be arriving this monday,I asked for scalloped pockets....it doesnt bother me that much that I did now that I know those arent meant to be nice and scalloped.I can always soaken them and stretch them a bit to SA

bests
Holt
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

I love the photo. Nice work. You should redo all of them. Their site looks pretty dated too. It's like 1996 called and wants their design back :)
(I know they're not in the web design business, so this is not to be taken as an attack. Just a fan observation ;) )
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Ooh! I wanna play, too!!! :D :D :D

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

P.S.- Thanks for the Pecards tip, KT. I applied it to the whole jacket last week, and it really brought out the character of the novapelle.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

These jackets are beautiful! Now I don't know what I want my second jackt to be...if I want a custom Raiders, or a custom CS. Dang you guys for posting these pics!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Belloq agrees: "It's beautiful!" :D
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

Indyk, thats a really nice jacket :) one question, how much did you have to pay the invisible man to model it while you took the photos??
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Hey KT, did your CS jacket come with a hanging loop on the inside of the neck? Mine didn't, but that's okay because I never use them anyway. I wonder if it was that way on the original prototype? Now I have to go back into the archive and find those pics...
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

CM wrote:It's not just the curve - it's the depth. The flap in the film version is deeper and the pocket somewhat less long.
True. Imo that has been something which most Wested jackets have. I have not seen this on Kt's CS jacket though!! :P
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

whipwarrior wrote:Hey KT, did your CS jacket come with a hanging loop on the inside of the neck? Mine didn't, but that's okay because I never use them anyway. I wonder if it was that way on the original prototype? Now I have to go back into the archive and find those pics...
The archive proto had a D shaped loop.

AFAIK the Wested Protos to Pollack didn't have one. This one [made about the same time] didn't.

Mine didn't have one either, but I had them put one in, I do use them. :)
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Great photo, the jacket looks great. Also, kind of like the invisible man, how does that work?
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

bigrex wrote:Great photo, the jacket looks great. Also, kind of like the invisible man, how does that work?
Thanks! Well, it's a bit tricky because the only way to get the drapes right is to actually have a model inside while shooting the photos. Afterwards I take several photos of the lining, the neck, the inner sleeves and other small details and combine it all with hours of Photoshop-work.
I did the same trick with the lamb for Wested's site, and this novapelle is made for the same purpose.
Glad You like the result!

Cheers
Indy-K
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey Indy K those are great photos in the first post.
How did you do that?
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

PLATON wrote:Hey Indy K those are great photos in the first post.
How did you do that?
As described in the post just before Yours. I took a series of photos with a model inside the jacket. Afterwards I shot several details, lining, innersleeves etc. and removed any sign of the model in Photoshop. The places hidden by the model in the original photo was then replaced with the detail-shots. Lots of hours in Photoshop, involving many of the tools, layers and masks :D

Not easy, but worth the hours...

Cheers
Indy-K
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

What kind of hide is Novapelle actually? Is it Cow or horse or...?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

cow :wink:
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

QUESTION!

After seeing several different pics of Wested's Novapelle, it looks like two different colors. Some pics has it being a darker "Raiders Brown"...almost black. And other pics has it being plain brown...lighter color.

I'm assuming it's the lighting, but what do you all think?

I want to order one and I want to be happy with what I would get.

Thanks, guys.
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Mississippi Jones wrote:QUESTION!

After seeing several different pics of Wested's Novapelle, it looks like two different colors. Some pics has it being a darker "Raiders Brown"...almost black. And other pics has it being plain brown...lighter color.

Thanks, guys.
The color does change depending on the lighting, HOWEVER, be sure about the feel you want from the jacket. I've worn my buddy's lambskin and it is MUCH lighter and thinner than the Novapelle and drapes like it does in the films.

The novapelle is heavier and much firmer so it can be....bulkier, than say the lambskin. It's important you take that into consideration.

Oh and pecards also darkens it and makes it a little classier, a perfect example being KT's exquisite jacket featured above.
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

Mississippi Jones wrote:QUESTION!

Thanks, guys.
The color changes a lot in different lightning, but that goes for all the hides. I've made photos of both cow, goat, lamb and novapelle (which is also cow) and they all change depending on the lightsource. Also the distressing makes a world of difference. My first photo of the lamb can be seen on the Wested site and it looks almost lightbrown when new in that lighting. After a light distressing it changed totally to the exact look from Raiders that some even describe as black - which it is not off course.
I could make the novapelle photos look alike in Photoshop, if I wanted to, but I think it's part of the jackets quality that it sort of reflects the light of the set.
The first photo above is a studio shot and the shot of the back is normal daylight with clouds.

I would be much more concerned with the feel of the leather as Mal says. After having worn the novapelle for a while now I seriously doubt if I will ever wear the lamb again. It's two different worlds, but remember that the original Raiders was lamb and thats the only hide that will be able to give You SA. The texture of the goat is different and the cow drapes differently.

Cheers
Indy-K
StarTrekChuck
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by StarTrekChuck »

Indy_K, I was wondering about the jacket you posted at the top of this topic. That is a superb jacket!

Can you tell me exactly which one you ordered, and where you ordered it please? I have spent a great deal of time reading the Sticky topics, but I still have a few questions. Such as who made yours. LOL

Thanks!
Woodford
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Woodford »

Mr Indy Holt

Is Novapelle really steerhide? It says "Novapelle an antique brown horsehide" on the site.

http://www.indyjacket.co.uk/frsizing.html
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Woodford wrote:Is Novapelle really steerhide? It says "Novapelle an antique brown horsehide" on the site.
Good point...Is it horse or cow? And where did they get the name "Novapelle" anyways?
-Z
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

from what I have heared it is a type of cow hide.

bests
Holt
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Digging back through the old posts, Peter posted this last February:
Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:39 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to be so long coming back about this.
The point of this picture is to show the difference between the much modified TN Skulls jacket as shown in the smaller picture and the Wested Skulls prototype in the main picture.
The much modified collar is of course the main difference although I cannot see it? What else?
Admittedly the zip on the TN Skull jacket is about 3" from the bottom of the jacket but the skin is almost identical, a soft slightly distressed hide called 'Novapelle' which apart form its Italian sound comes from S.America.
I have been custom making this Skulls modified LC jacket for my more priveledged clientell and shall continue to do so.
Shall I raise the price by $500 to make a fast buck, maybe maybe not.
This is not a serious post just that I find this hype about reconstructuring and a $800-$900 price tag hard to beleive.
Keep the faith folks and lets hope its a great film.
Cheers
So, it seems he is getting his leather from South America, just like Wings and Tony Nowak. If it's horsehide, I have found nothing to say one way or the other in my search and can only assume that, like the other vendors South American hide source, it's cowhide. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Woodford
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Woodford »

S. America?

Maybe Llama can be added?!

Joke! :-)
Woodford
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Woodford »

KT Templar's jacket, the one without the loop.... Soz I can't post pic.

I am 95% sure that is horsehide. That is MHO by this image.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Woodford wrote:KT Templar's jacket, the one without the loop.... Soz I can't post pic.

I am 95% sure that is horsehide. That is MHO by this image.
Do you mean the caramel coloured one? That's a veg tanned LAMB! :) It's very heavy duty, quite beautiful.

The novapelle is a cowhide, sourced in South America.
Woodford
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Woodford »

Ah veg tanned and heavy duty Lamb! Forgive my 5% mistake! ;-) Great looking jacket that is. Missed the 5% just from a pic. It looks stiff like new Shergar hide.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Well thanks a LOT K :evil: Now I had to order one in Novapelle - Raiders, Marc Kitter specs. You owe me pal :evil:

:lol:

Regards,

Marc
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

Marc wrote:Well thanks a LOT K :evil: Now I had to order one in Novapelle - Raiders, Marc Kitter specs. You owe me pal :evil:

:lol:

Regards,

Marc
Sorry about that.. :( But I'm sure the jacket itself will make up for that when You recieve it. Otherwise we'll just have to work out something else :D

Best Indy-wishes from
Indy-K