Post your Indy Briefcases

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post your Indy Briefcases

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Just curious how many of you guys own a briefcase similar to the one Ford carries in the college in Raiders? Post any pics you have...I am an aspiring Physics professor, and I just got my first job teaching AP Physics at my old high school...so I want to get an old leather briefcase like the one Indy carries...

also, does anyone know where to find a quality picture of the scene where we see Ford's briefcase...I know there's a few shoddy pics in a much earlier post, but with all the Indy sites now, you think there'd be some still shots of those scenes. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Can't wait to see pics of your own briefcases!
-Z
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

This isn't SA by any means, but I have one which hearkens to that style:

I received this as a gift, and just in time for my first adjunct professorship. This and other styles perhaps even more similar to Prof. Jones' (including custom-made orders) can be found over here:

http://www.customhide.com

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Last edited by Dr. Nebraska S. on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I haven't purchased one yet, but I am going to purchase this briefcase, which I think Indy would approve.

http://www.saddlebackleather.net/store/ ... product=23
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

Here are a couple pictures of my every day brief case.
Every once in a while someone will look at the luggage tags and start to smile…..
Regards,
Forrestal

nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Nebraska,
Hark, that's a great lookin' briefcase...how much is its retail value if you don't mind me asking? Has it had enough room for all your materials?

And kev, I've actually looked at saddleback, but they're sooooooooo expensive! Great looking and I'm sure the quality is the creme a la creme...

Keep em coming guys!
-Z
Dr. Nebraska S.

nicetrylaoche wrote:Nebraska,
Hark, that's a great lookin' briefcase...how much is its retail value if you don't mind me asking? Has it had enough room for all your materials?

And kev, I've actually looked at saddleback, but they're sooooooooo expensive! Great looking and I'm sure the quality is the creme a la creme...

Keep em coming guys!
-Z
Thanks, Z! I don't remember off the top of my head what it cost, but in my original post under the photo I give the link for the place from which it came. There are several ways of customizing your bag through that site. I've been VERY pleased with it, and for most days, I can easily fit everything I need in there (however, there are other days when I need so many books that the only way to not use 2 bags would be to bring a duffel bag).

Forrestal and Kev, I like the look of your bags (or potential bags in Kev's case). :tup:

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Here's one that I've been dreaming of for a while

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp ... age=search
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I'm putting the order in for my saddleback leather bag soon. I'll post some pics when I get it.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Indiana Kev wrote:I haven't purchased one yet, but I am going to purchase this briefcase, which I think Indy would approve.

http://www.saddlebackleather.net/store/ ... product=23
Kev, are you going for the dark brown or the chestnut? I think that chestnut would look REALLY good after some natural wear-and-tear. I suspect it'd darken up nicely, too.

I'm interested in Saddleback's luggage but I'm wondering if the wooden frames are a good choice. But, that's another topic. :)

Tony
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Well I bit the bullet today and ordered the dark brown briefcase from saddleback. I debated over the other colors, but the dark brown just kept calling my name. I agree with you Tony that the chestnut would like really great with some wear and tear, but I was set on the dark brown once I saw it.

And I'm really tempted on the luggage too, but I'll have to wait on that. :wink:
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

I've had a Saddleback bag since New Year. They are great, and built like a tank. I've used mine just about every day since I received it. It is heavy, but it looks great.

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Here is a link to the most screen accurate one that I have seen for sale.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Bufflehead Jones wrote:Here is a link to the most screen accurate one that I have seen for sale.
That's actually the same site from which I received my briefcase (although I got the "Scholar with pockets" style). Thanks for sharing!
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

I had a scholar w/pockets laptop case. It was very well constructed and all, and I loved the leather, but the thing was just too heavy and bulky for my taste. I ended up getting a North Face laptop backpack.

In the future, I might get another one from custom-hide though, their work is very nice.
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

I've got the 16" Saddleback in chestnut brown, it arrived about a month ago. I'll take some pictures and post them later.
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Nice

Post by nicetrylaoche »

All these bags are just awesome looking. I absolutely love the saddlebag leather offerings, but they are a bit too pricy for my wallet...I'm thinking about getting an old leather worker that's been in my town for years and years to try and give a go at recreating the movie briefcase for me in cowhide...we'll see
-Z
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Just got my saddleback bag from ups and it is awesome!!! Yes it cost me both arms and one leg, but I could not be more pleased with this bag. It is going to distress very well and I will love it forever!

Pics to come later!
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

This one from Duluth Trading may be more in reach for those of us who have suffered from recent market uncertainties.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/42004.aspx ... mber=42004[/img]
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Well a sad thing about my bag, it isn't big enough for my legal files. So if anyoone wants the saddlebackleather brief case for legal size files then go with the extra large version. Great quality and craftsmanship, the bag was everything I hoped it would be, just too small, so I've got to send my in for an exchange.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Kev, that is a GREAT looking bag! Thanks for posting pics!

Question: Are you going to put any leather dressing of any kind on it?

I bought a leather backpack before our Rome trip that was made by Mulholland Brothers. (Here's a pic:

One thing I noticed is that I didn't care for the overly "dry" feel of the leather. So I've been applying some Pecards to it which has given it a bit of a softer finish and "feel".....but I think the rest of it will come from just using it.

Anyway, I digress....are you planning on doing any treatment?

Tony
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Thanks, I love the bag and my new larger size will be at my door on Tuesday. I had a bag very similar to the one you posted a pic of from the gap that I carried for years, it was a great backpack.

As for the brief case, the leather distresses very easily so I will be treating it every once in a while. Their site recommends treating every 6 months to a year, so when I get it I'll use it for a while and then give it a treatment in a few months. I don't think I need to treat it right off the bat as the leather is very nice and feels great, so I'll put some wear on it and then treat it.

On a side note, I've had great customer service from the people at saddleback leather. They are quick to respond to emails and very helpful.
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

sooooo nice

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Kev,
I LOVE the saddleback!!!! My goodness, I wish I had the mulah to pick up one of those puppies...Even on ebay they're super pricy...I guess you pay for what you get though...GREAT lookin bag.
-Z
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Hunter Jones wrote:I've had a Saddleback bag since New Year. They are great, and built like a tank. I've used mine just about every day since I received it. It is heavy, but it looks great.

Which color is that? I'm going for the coffee or the black.
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

Gabrielle, that is the coffee colour. It looks better in person than in the photo, the flash has washed out the colour somewhat.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Post your Indy Briefcases

Post by alphared6 »

I picked this one up on "the bay" not long ago. Much better than the 1953 US Government job I was toting!
My thanks to Nebraska Schulte for pointing this link out to me.

bullit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bullit »

I have the saddleback brief, duffle bag and now wallet all in dark coffee brown. I must admit they are pretty awesome bags, money well invested if you ask me.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I've been carrying my saddleback to court with me for over a year now and I love it! Definately money well spent...I plan on picking up the duffle bag and maybe the luggage sometime in the future.
Connecticut Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Connecticut Jones »

I have a chestnut brown 16" Saddleback bag that I won on an ebay auction due to arrive on Monday. For those who want a Saddleback bag, but don't want to pay full price, Saddleback does have an active ebay store where they auction off seconds, which is how I was able to justify my bag.

Connecticut Jones
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

Here is a bag that my wife bought me for my birthday to use for school/work. I got it from Wested. It's a really nice messenger bag/ briefcase.

enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

you mean one of these?
This dates from the 40's
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Anybody got screen grabs of Indy's actual briefcase?

I'm interested to see.

B
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

I could do you a couple but I remember when I did some before they weren't very helpful. You just never see it that close.
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Right on.
Thanks.

B
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

For what it's worth, these are the clearest frames of the only two times I can think of when one sees the briefcase
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Bump.

Any new briefcases out there similar to Indy's? I love the Filson Field Satchel but don't care for the hardware and from what I've read, the hardware is not very sturdy (but the leather is). It's not easy to find good quality briefcases with functional leather buckle straps. I bought my briefcase 4 years ago at JC Penney brand is Protocol. It's held up very nicely and even though it has belt straps, they aren't functional. http://m.ebags.com/product/david-king-a ... D=DEALTIME But I am looking for a true vintage 40's era buckle strap briefcase like Indy's.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Check Suzieflooze.com
They almost always carry vintage briefcases, schoolbags, doctors bags and such. They have decent prices and have authentic inventory to that era....
:TOH:
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Here's my brief case. Had it before Dr. Jones had a movie though. :D

Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Thanks Gorak!

Alpha that is a really nice briefcase!!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Here's mine from customhide.com. It has three gussets and whereas I could fit the kitchen sink if need be, I think I would have preferred two gussets. The three make the bag pretty wide even when empty and if I ever truly filled it to capacity I'd never be able to lift it!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Hey I like what I see on that website customhide!! Thank you!!!
Dr. Nebraska S.

I'm still very happy with my briefcase I got from them about 5 years ago (see my post near the top). There was a problem with the shoulder strap after a few years, due to all the REALLY heavy books I was carrying, but that was covered under their lifetime warranty. I'll try to take a photo of it sometime for an update.

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

NES you're is very sharp looking too. I'm really liking the two-compartment 1945 Army!!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

[quote="enigmata_wood"]For what it's worth, these are the clearest frames of the only two times I can think of when one sees the briefcase

Does anyone know what brand the original bag was?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Wasnt sure where topst this but..
In San Antonio this weekend at the Pro Bass Shop and in their African Safari Display room they had this...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... d02e02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Real Croc Skin Doctors Bag!
And no it wasnt for sale or I would have bought it! :D
When I saw it across the room and started for it, my wife immediately exclaimed out loud, " Oh No, you do not need a Crocodile Bag!"
:P
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Gorak wrote:Wasnt sure where topst this but..
In San Antonio this weekend at the Pro Bass Shop and in their African Safari Display room they had this...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... d02e02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Real Croc Skin Doctors Bag!
And no it wasnt for sale or I would have bought it! :D
When I saw it across the room and started for it, my wife immediately exclaimed out loud, " Oh No, you do not need a Crocodile Bag!"
:P
You might like this site;
http://rareskins.com/doctorbags.aspx
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

alphared6 wrote:Here's my brief case. Had it before Dr. Jones had a movie though. :D

What year was this bag made? Does it show a brand/model?
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

lantzn wrote:
alphared6 wrote:Here's my brief case. Had it before Dr. Jones had a movie though. :D

What year was this bag made? Does it show a brand/model?
No, sorry. The case is completely sterile. not a mark anywhere on it. :CR: Spy vs. spy stuff from the cold war no doubt.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

How have peoples' saddleback bags held up over a few years? I've heard mixed reviews online...

Love th elook of them though :-k
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Dre wrote:How have peoples' saddleback bags held up over a few years? I've heard mixed reviews online...

Love th elook of them though :-k
Dre, I've got two of them, and if properly cared for, I can't imagine that the 100 year warranty they offer ever being used.

The ONLY knock against them is that they are perhaps a bit heavy. I'm of a very muscular build, but I pack them to the brim and end up standing throughout my entire metro commute (about two hours daily). My shoulder does sometimes feel a little sore at day's end.

I'd definitely give them a :tup: