The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

TheChimp
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheChimp »

DOHERTYJAX wrote:My Federation arrived today. I was scared to open the box, because one corner was crushed. Well, I opened it, and the hat was perfect. That is, until I attepted to bash it. I am not sure I like the bash. What do you think?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85 ... ATION4.jpg
Lookin' good to me.

All these pics are starting to make me impatient for my hat... patience, patience, chimp... :)
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Gotta say, these Fed 4s are looking amazing! The lowered crown really looks great, and takes it from "Indy Hat" to "every hat".

Ron, I probably won't be in the market until xmas, but I'll pose this question anyway: will the Fed Dlx 4 ever be offered in Carbon Gray? I currently own a brown Fed Dlx 3 that was reblocked at Optimo in the fall, and it's my most frequently worn lid. But, brown doesn't go with everything, so I've been itching to get a Dlx in gray, not black. What are the chances?

Regards, Andy
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

How about a deluxe in moonstone?
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

whiskyman wrote:I will probably just send it back for a refund.
On second thoughts, I'd be out of pocket too much if i sent the hat back. Plus, it's such a nice hat in every other aspect - I've decided not to worry too much about the block shape. Especially as I rarely wear a hat these days anyway.

So, I've bashed the hat (forgotton how much more effort you need with a stiff rabbit felt!) and added some sizing foam. I really like the colour - it reminds me of a slightly darker version of my old vintage HJ. I also love the soft leather sweatband.
The block gives a very passeable Raiders look - certainly much better than the older Fed. As my hat has a slightly "flanged" crown, I would imagine that the other Fed IVs will look even better.

And here it is, along with my AB
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

The new feds look really great. I love the color and the block is amazing!!! Now if I could just feel confident enough to crease it. I have no idea where to even start. :(
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

A couple more pics
PepiloJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PepiloJones »

Very nice pics whisky. Great lookin hat.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I love it, it looks really nice. I would not send it back, I'm sure it'll shrink up some with wear and conform to your head.

Did you use just cold water on it or steam?
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Neither - just my hands.
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

Nice bash Whiskyman! :tup:

It's turned, isn't it?

The Fed has a very nice reddish undertone in your photos. That's the Fed Reg? Heck of an improvement.

Reminds me of this scene:

- Mac
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I hate the US Postal Service!

Post by swcrazyfan »

I hate the US Postal Service! My fedora was sent out on Monday, and I haven't gotten it yet. I know Ron and hats direct has nothing to do with this, so don't think i'm saying anything bad about them, 'cause i'm not. I just needed to vent somewhere.

When ever I really am waiting for something, USPS always takes over a 6-7 business days get something to me. I know it is coming from overseas, but other people in Europe got theirs in 3 days! I have had this same problem with things coming from Calif to me (not Todd's. another company altogether). I had read that other people in Europe got their stuff in around days, so I was thinking I could get by Friday if ordered on Monday. Nope I received the stuff on Tuesday the next week. I live in fxxxgxn' Michigan. The crossroads of America, you'd think I would get things quicker.

Sorry, I just needed to vent that. This patience thing doesn't really work for me. I just can't wait to finally wear this awesome fedora!
genphideaux
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by genphideaux »

swcrazyfan,

Know what you mean, I am reminded of what my mother says "A watched pot never boils"

Hope you get it soon.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

genphideaux wrote:swcrazyfan,

Know what you mean, I am reminded of what my mother says "A watched pot never boils"

Hope you get it soon.
I hate that saying because its so darn true! :D

I hope I'm not making anybody think I'm an angry guy, I'm not. I'm just excited. (I think I get the record for saying "I'm" the most time in one logical sentence.)

Thanks though genphideaux.
uncle ogs
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by uncle ogs »

Hang in there bro!
I am in the Uk and it can take 5 to 10 days to get here. No sign of mine yet (they were sent on Tuesday) Were almost there. Lets face it, once we get em the wait for the film is just gonna feel worse :lol:
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

I think it depends of what postage you chose. Air mail is slower, EMS courier (DHL) is faster, but more expensive. I chose wisely... :D
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

It came today! :D

OK, this is my first ever Indy hat so go easy on my 'bash' - I'm still working on it 8)

It's the Fed IV Deluxe. Great colour and quality and I'd like to thank all who were involved with it for putting the grin on my face! :D

I changed my order from a 58 to a 59 after the info about the sizing and out of the box it was too big but the foam has made it pretty much bang on and I'm sure it'll 'settle' to perfection... 8) And, woah, these things are warm! The little retro poster that came with it is cool too...

Cheers
Alex
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I think it looks pretty good, Alex!
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Ah, you're being generous. :D The pics are a little dark, the front pinch is tighter than it looks. If I can get some good pics tomorrow in daylight I'll post them. I really like the crown height and the 'stove pipe' look.

Alex
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

These hats look really great! I can't wait to get mine. Unfortunately, it took HD half a week to confirm my size change, so I'm probably not gonna get my hat til the end of next week.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

OK, I've had a go at a little light steaming this morning and got the hat a bit more under control...feels like Raiders but couldn't say which particular scene.... :lol: Great hat!

Cheers
Alex
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

Looks great! Even better than before.
PepiloJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PepiloJones »

Nice pics morgan, great looking hat!
Cheers Peter
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

wowza, the new fed is lookin' good!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Wow, you can really see in Morgan's pics how smooth the new Fed. Deluxe IV's felt is......I really like that. :D
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Thanks, guys.

I'm far from an expert but I could see the hat was great quality right out of the box - the weight, colour, materials and it's very robust.

I would say to those who are yet to get their Fed IVs, don't worry too much if it's a little big out of the box - what with the foam tape, the bash and natural shrinkage there's quite a few ways to get it fitting well...

Cheers
Alex
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

My original Deluxe was a 59 and my actual hat size lies somewhere between a 58 and 59. So when I got it I used the sizing tape. After owning it for a while the hat shrunk enough that I didn't need the tape in it anymore.

I'm really wishing now I would have kept my order in. Ah, well......I'll just wait a little bit and re-order a deluxe. :)

By the way do these new hats still have the plastic liners? That's the one thing that I kinda didn't care for and that was only because plastic trapped the heat inside the hat and really made these hats hot to wear in the summer sun. :)
uncle ogs
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by uncle ogs »

Thats a fine hat morganswift, and a very good looking bash. I hope you dont mind me asking but did you have to pay much duty on it? Mine are due any day now and i am interested in how much Mr Brown is gonna want from me in excahnge for my new hat!
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Pitfall Harry, yeah it's already starting to feel more snug than it did. Definitely a good idea to go a little larger. Yes, the plastic is still there. I was a little puzzled about that as it seems more like packaging than a permanent feature but I guess it keeps the lining clean?

Thanks, uncle ogs. I'll just say there was no writing of cheques on the doorstep (like I had to do with my Aldens)...this time. 8) Hope you enjoy your hat!

Cheers
Alex
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

morganswift wrote:OK, I've had a go at a little light steaming this morning and got the hat a bit more under control...feels like Raiders but couldn't say which particular scene.... :lol: Great hat!

Cheers
Alex
Lookin' good Alex!

I think of my hats as "living things", the bash and the hat itself starts out young and immature, but as it goes through life it settles into it's true self. Over time it will grow and change but that's part of the adventure.

And don't forget, there is always some young newcomer around the corner.

Tron
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Alex,

Your hat looks fantastic. Excellent job bashing it and everything! Apparently mine came on Saturday as well, but I was at work! :shock: Anyway...first thing in the morning, I'm walking over to the RM dispatch office! I agree...so nice to see that there's no customs charge! Just a signature - THAT, I can do. =) Take care. Enjoy you fantastic Fed!

-Steve H
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

The new Feds are worth every penny, what a great looking hat. I was a little nervous to get 1 because I've never bashed a hat before, but I need to get 1 of these!!! They are really one of the best looking Indy hats I've seen...
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

A plastic lining?.......................If the Fed 1V has a plastic lining it will be coming out!
What can I replace it with?
Steve :D
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

It's not totally plastic. The whole lining is done is satin (I think that's what it is) and then there's a piece of plastic that sits in the top to protect the logo and keep water from soaking through the hat onto your head. It's actually quite practical.
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

Risu wrote:It's not totally plastic. The whole lining is done is satin (I think that's what it is) and then there's a piece of plastic that sits in the top to protect the logo and keep water from soaking through the hat onto your head. It's actually quite practical.
Would it be easy to remove it without damaging the liner/hat?
Steve :D
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Hey,

Hey Steve. I JUST received my Fed, and in answer to your question, it would not be very easy to remove the plastic liner, as it's sewn in to the TOP of the hat, not down near the brim break. Basically, there's only plastic over the TOP of the crown, and then where the other satin meets the top, it is sewn over the plastic to keep the plastic in place (at least, this is the way it appears to me). Once I finish bashing the hat, I'll take a few photos to show you what I mean. Hope all is well. Take care.

-Steve
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

New FedIV
Vintage HJ
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Thanks Tron and Steve (look forward to seeing the pics!). And, Whiskyman, like the still life! Hat looks great in that shot.

gabrielle wrote:The new Feds are worth every penny, what a great looking hat. I was a little nervous to get 1 because I've never bashed a hat before, but I need to get 1 of these!!! They are really one of the best looking Indy hats I've seen...
No, need to worry. I think the key is in the word 'bash'. It'll take quite a pummelling and as Tron says it's kind of an ongoing process...

Cheers
Alex
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

How do you order a Fed IV? I've gone to the website but all I see is the regular Fed and Fed Delux. Do you have to call?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

Ahh, thanks Strones! :D
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

The Fed/Fed Deluxe IS the Fed IV...Once Ron ran out of stock on the 'Fed III's', they were no longer....The 'IV' just means it's the fourth iteration of the hat....

Patiently waiting for mine to arrive!!!! Any day now!

EDIT: My bad...Ron must have just a couple of the III's left.....Yes, follow that link to the newer style. The ones on the regular site right now look to be the few remaining odd sizes of the older style....

Woah! I'm glad I pre-ordered...They're out of stock in my size...Expected to re-stock on May 10th...That was close....!
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Hey everyone,

Alright, so as I said, I'd post pictures of my new Fed IV (regular) once I had it bashed etc. Here they are... The first two are of the hat open-crowned immediately after I opened the box (packed extremely well - thanks so much Ron!). The next four show my final bashing job. The final two show me with a bit of gear on and post-Fuller's Earth application on the hat and jacket (I didn't go crazy with the stuff - just a bit for effect). Let me know what you all think! I am SO happy with the Fed IV...seems difficult to express myself...

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image

Take care, all!!
- Steve H
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Great job imagine671 :tup:
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

Steve,

Dude, nice hat and good job on the bashing. I'm loving the new fed more and more as I see it. The color, the ribbon, and the block is a HUGE improvement. I'll post pics when I get mine.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Steve, looks superb! :tup:

Thanks for the profile shots - might tweak my bash a bit now...

Is the Fuller's Earth purely to 'age' the hat?

Alex
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Hey there, Alex (and others),

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The more I look at this hat, the more I love it. Anyway, in answer to your question, Alex, initially I put the 'Fuller's Earth' on simply to give the Fed more of a 'used-in-action' look. When it's too pristine, it doesn't give me that Indy vibe I'm looking for. HOWEVER, now that I've applied it (basically brushed some in all round it, and added some at the base around the ribbon), I think that it ever so slightly LIGHTENS the hat to about the shade I expect to see from an Indy fedora. That makes me happy as well. =) There are a lot of people on this site who wouldn't DREAM of applying 'dirt' to their hats, though (especially on the very day they received them!), and I can totally respect that. It was SO hard to make the decision to put a bit of dirt on the hat, especially if it were to rain (which...I mean...come on...this is England). =) After the premier, I'll try to get rid of as much of the Fuller's Earth as possible, so I can wear the hat in a light drizzle. =) Take care!!

-Steve H

EDIT: To Steve27752: Posted below is a picture of the inside of the hat. Now you can see what I mean about why it would be difficult (perhaps not prudent) to remove the little bit of plastic at the top of the hat. This is very similar to what Christy's does with their hats...it's not really a problem, I don't feel...but it's all about preference, isn't it? =) Included are a few pictures of the hat NOT on my head with the Fuller's Earth applied.

Image Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by imagine671 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Man, that's some nice work guys! I think these pics already prove that the Fed IV really knocks it out of the park.

It's amazing to see that an already great hat could actually get THAT much better. :D
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Thanks, Steve. I get the Fuller's Earth thing now - seen it mentioned but wasn't quite sure what it was. It's basically a bag of dirt :lol: Looks great though and definitely gives the Raiders look - I think you've added just enough to give character. Brave man! I'll hold off for now though and enjoy the pristine look (though it is covered in fingerprints where I've been wrestling it into shape!).

Alex
uncle ogs
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by uncle ogs »

I just got in from work and found a card saying that thery are here! !Tomorrow at 7am i'm off to collect and then i will post some pics. :)
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Excellent, uncle ogs!! Can't wait to see it! I really enjoy looking at each person's go with their hats. The fact that it comes open-crowned is kind of a blessing, if you enjoy bashing the hat yourself, because everyone gets a bit of their own character in there. =)