KotCS Backpack (UPDATED thread on Germany Army Rucksack!)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indy30
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy30 »

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Indy30,

That's the same pack I found here at my local surplus store.

redsleighdown,

Yes, the length of the flap is still in question. Until we see better photos or see it in the movie it's hard to tell. If the flap is shorter it could have easily been cut by the movie prop designers. We'll just have to wait and see!!

:P IB
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Looks like Adolf isn't using it anymore...
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

Indiana Bond wrote:redsleighdown,

Yes, the length of the flap is still in question. Until we see better photos or see it in the movie it's hard to tell. If the flap is shorter it could have easily been cut by the movie prop designers. We'll just have to wait and see!!

Best we got right now is this:

From the top pic, I could go either way. But from the bottom pic makes it look like there is a short flapped version. Of course, they made the mk 7 bag look like it always had the leather strap.

Maybe there is a model type so we can see if there are variants? Like the Mk vi vs. vii.
Indy30
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Just got my German backpack (PICS)

Post by Indy30 »

Some pics of the german backpack Indiana Bond picked up for me....

:roll:

Now, I need to search for the right shoulder straps. Anyone know where I can find these?
Thanks again IB!
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

As far as the shoulder straps are concerned they deffinately look "handmade". You can see that it is newer leather and that it has been artificially distressed in some areas. Also you can see the hand cutting and stitching of the leather.

It seems that they wanted the pack to hang lower down than it normally does so they made up the longer leather straps compaired to the originals.

Best bet would be to make them yourself! You could really match the design that way. Another possibility would be finding a gun strap or guitar strap that looks about the same.

I may attempt to make some straps in the future, but for now until I see the movie, I will leave mine as they are.

Glad you all like the backpack and if anyone else is interested I can get more!

Thanks again!!

riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Well, thanks to Indiana Bond, I have my very own backpack in time for a class field trip this weekend (Thanks Bond!). But like some of the pics, I have a name inked on the flap and some orange markings on the bag itself under the flap. Any suggestions on getting these out or at least fading them?

Riothamus
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

Here's a couple of pictures of another one of IB's bags. I may have overstuffed it. I'm really happy with it. Great find IB, thanks again for picking me up one of the bags and getting it out so quick! I folded the bag flap under where it tapers in INDY30's one image. I suspect the taper may have something to do with the original's short flap look.
Ben
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Didn't see this posted, but Cabelas has a smaller pack for 20 bucks with the short flap............modern straps and closures, but a real steal for those who don't need the larger size.................... :wink:
OweYouAGin
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OweYouAGin »

Fantastic - Those comparison pictures say it all !
Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arlington Beech »

The soldier here seems to be wearing a similar bag

pic from Indy IV from thereaider.net:

http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/ga ... ij4_54.jpg
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

IB, payment sent!

New pic:
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

So, any of the lucky few that have this backpack going to take it to the premier and be REALLY SA?
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

All Indy has in KOTCS is an early version of todays military ruck sack. It's most likely canvas with 3 outside pockets, and leather straps. And of course the main opening.

This shouldn't be too hard to find.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Mississippi Jones wrote:All Indy has in KOTCS is an early version of todays military ruck sack. It's most likely canvas with 3 outside pockets, and leather straps. And of course the main opening.

This shouldn't be too hard to find.
Yeah. It looked like US military issue (at least I think that was a "US" stamped on the pack). I'm going to see KOTCS again. Maybe I can get a better look.
IndyinExton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyinExton »

Looks like a modified german Alpine Backpack...

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/produc ... PGALP&ST=2

Havn't see one quite like the one above, but I'd expect you could modify this or something like it fairly easy enough.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Did anyone else see "U.S." either stamped or on a patch sewn onto the main compartment flap?
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

IndyinExton wrote:Looks like a modified german Alpine Backpack...

Havn't see one quite like the one above, but I'd expect you could modify this or something like it fairly easy enough.
funny i saw that one and its currently the one im gonna go with unless im convinced otherwise at this point...

It did appear there was a US (or something) logo on the front of the pack but i couldnt tell ...

added:i caved and ordered the swiss alpine surplus, 23- and free shipping, cant go too wrong with that
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

Definatly a patch :wink:

-Robby 8)
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

From what I could see, it is the bag that IB found, with a different flap and different straps.

We have all seen the straps, and the flap looks to be something like http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/produc ... PGALP&ST=2

It was a short flap (Told ya ;) ) with d-rings on the strips going down the flap like seen above.
IndyinExton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyinExton »

ortiz344 wrote:
IndyinExton wrote:Looks like a modified german Alpine Backpack...

funny i saw that one and its currently the one im gonna go with unless im convinced otherwise at this point...

It did appear there was a US (or something) logo on the front of the pack but i couldnt tell ...

added:i caved and ordered the swiss alpine surplus, 23- and free shipping, cant go too wrong with that

I don't see the log you mean. Being German, I'd guess it isn't a US logo though :wink: Oh wait...I see, you meant in the flick? I did not notice a logo, but then again i was too busy enjoying indy being Indy

In any case, I just got back from the show...went in full gear... From what I saw, this, modified with leather straps, is pretty darned close to what he had in the movie. The flap, both times I saw it fully, only went about half way down. :) :)
Indiana Scones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Scones »

I think this is the one, I bought it 20 years ago in West Germany
What do you think?

The German Alpine pack above is probably the closest modern version,
a few mods and it would be dead-on.
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

Scones
That may be just it. Seeing the movie twice I noticed the backpack is not only smaller, but the flap is also shorter than the modern German Alpine. You pack looks pretty close if not dead on.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Just saw the backpack in the movie. Yes it does have a short flap so It's not the one that I had found unless they modified the flap.

The other german backpack everyone is now talking about with the plastic buckles is also not the one as it's a lot smaller than the one Indy had. I don't think that big skull would fit in it.

My local surplus store is selling those for $9.99. I'd check your local surplus store before dishing out $20+ plus shipping for it online.

Scones bag looks real close though. That means that they are out there somewhere. So I guess the search continues!!!

IB :P
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

IndianaSolo wrote:Scones
That may be just it. Seeing the movie twice I noticed the backpack is not only smaller, but the flap is also shorter than the modern German Alpine. You pack looks pretty close if not dead on.
Agreed, Id say thats it...they probably put US markings on it as I saw them too
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

The one with the plastic buckles is just the pre-decessor of the older mountain backpack which Indy might use in the new film. I still have mine from the army time (I was in the mountain infantry) and besides some minor changes (like said plastic buckles) it is still very close to the old one (but it looks rather cool, if you ask me). The older versions can be still found out there, I'm sure. Look for something like "Bundeswehr Rucksack" or "Gebrigsrucksack" ...
Indiana Scones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Scones »

I don't know if the German plastic-buckled pack is really that
much smaller, it should be the same size as the one I have
and that appears pretty close. My flap doesn't look quite right
but I think it's definitely close enough.... for now.

If anyone was planning on getting the plastic-buckled type, the best deal
is probably here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=223043
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

Im almost positive that the Cabelas pack is the same exact pack as the one Scones posted...except that the Cabelas one is new an unissued. I noticed on the site Scones posted it said it was used...so anyone might want to wiegh their decision if you want a new one for a little more or a bag that is discounted and has already been on some adventures :wink:

-Robby 8)

(I still have yet to go to the surplus store, so I won't be buying either one yet!!! :lol: )
Indiana Scones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Scones »

Jens - thanks for the tip, it only makes sense to search for a rucksack
of possible German origin in German :wink:

This one seems pretty close, I'd like to see the other side.
http://www.army-nato-shop.de/shop/979-b ... -oliv.html
It's a definite contender.

Scones

Edit: Here's another one, even better deal. (if you don't look at shipping :shock: )
http://www.armyshop-jena.de/product_inf ... baa43860b0
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

That's the very one! ;)
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

I just tried to place an order for that backpack at armyshop-jena. I speak and read a little German so I was able to work my way through it. It seems that you need to wire funds to them for payment. I asked if they accept VISA or PayPal so we'll see if they get back to me with an answer. Also now when I try to look at the item the page says "item not found". Maybe I got the last one.

The army-nato-shop site does not have an option to ship to the U.S. Only European countries.

That is most definately the backpack. It looks like an older version of the new ones with the plastic buckles. It's great to see that they are still available to purchase at least in Germany

Perhaps our fellow members in Germany can help in tracking down a good source for these packs in Germany that will ship to the U.S. Let's see if we can find a way get them to us in the USA.

NewJerseyRaider
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NewJerseyRaider »

I wonder how hard it would be to contact the costume designer directly and just ask them? According to IMDB, Bernie Pollack and Mary Zophres were the designers for the movie.

Also I don't know if it was mentioned before, but in the one scene where Indy is packing to leave his house, you can see a bag laying on the bed that he's tossing his clothes into. I wonder if this is the same backpack he had later? It looks very much the same...
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Apparently Belstaff is taking credit for the pack. If it's true they made it, we may be seeing an exact copy of the German pack with the infamous Belstaff logo patch sewn onto it.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Oh, also came across some "close enoughs" on other sites.

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-fo-92-095.asp

http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Bags/Mil ... -Backpack/

And here is the modern Alpine backpack for $9.95...
http://www.majorsurplus.com/German-Rang ... C1940.aspx

Thoughts?
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

riothamus wrote:So, found a US WWII backpack. Here are the pics.

Not the bag I know, but pretty nice looking just the same. Not sure if I want to pick it up though. The site is http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/produc ... gwwll&ST=2

Price is $54.40 and the site does free shipping.
Could really be it as well! Point is, that the early German Army after the war just was equipped with US stuff ...
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

Scones, I think you did it!
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Mississippi Jones wrote:Scones, I think you did it!
Scones, any numbers or manufacturer's names on the pack?
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

I managed to order the one seen from Army Nato, the older version with the leather straps, from Amazon.de. It was described there as being new, I believe they have one left in stock. They still don't ship to the US, but if you know anyone in the UK who can route it to you that should solve that problem.

I'll post pictures when I get them. Might be two or three weeks, though.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

NewJerseyRaider wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to contact the costume designer directly and just ask them? According to IMDB, Bernie Pollack and Mary Zophres were the designers for the movie.
Someone from the film industry could correct me, but I think the backpack might be a "prop".

Regardless, I did post asking those who were in touch to with Bernie to see how much of this general gear info (flashlight, socks, whatever) could be definitively documented NOW before another 20 years go past. Didn't get any replies though. :(
Indiana Scones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Scones »

ANZAC_1915 wrote: Scones, any numbers or manufacturer's names on the pack?
The only writing in the pack is:
165-12-138-9329
JUNI 1979
TEX__WERK HUMME GMBH

It's pretty faded, so I cannot read parts of it. Not surprising since
I picked it up at a German army surplus shop 20 years ago. The
one Bond tried to order from Armyshop-jena is identical to mine,
but I've only seen very few others on a couple German sites.

The one on ArmyNato and Amazon.de that Anderson ordered may
be even better considering the darker leather straps, if the fabric is
lighter than it appears. I'm looking forward to more pictures of that one.
Indiana Scones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Scones »

D
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by D »

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

This pack looks like it is the same pack as Scones purchased 20 years ago. If you look at his photos of the pack and the comparison photo you will see that it definately looks like Indys pack. The shoulder straps do look like they were changed to leather straps for the movie. Just like they did on the MKVII.

Yes I agree if we can get confirmation from someone who actually worked with the props in the movie that would be great. Hopefully one of us has those connections to make that confirmation.

Here are the photos that Scones provided showing the comparison and his own pack. Also shown is the pack we would be purchasing from Germany.

Jedinizar
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jedinizar »

I got Yesterday my Bagpack from http://www.army-nato-shop.de/shop/979-b ... -oliv.html

I think it's very close to the one in the movie.. But judge your self

Indiana Scones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Scones »

Never mind, the color's good, I was wrong. The straps are a little off, but that should be easy
enough to modify for absolute screen accuracy.
Ghost
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I'd like to point out

Post by Ghost »

there seems to be a variant in the bag. I would guess just as the MK VII bag more then one place manufactured these. Which one is the "correct" one?? i have no idea :)

1 One of the bags has studs here the other doesn't
2 The leather looks to be a different grade
3 Shape??

-Ghost
Hairyloft
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Hairyloft »

I also just received the rucksack which is exactly the same as Jedinizar's shown above. http://www.army-nato-shop.de/shop/979-b ... -oliv.html

As close as it is, I was a little disappointed that the straps were synthetic leather but everything else looks spot on so if could get some leather straps and age them totally SA? Good price too, cost me in total about £26 to the UK and it was here within 4 days!
Ghost
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Yea for all those on the lists please read this...

Post by Ghost »

This is as I thought these are leather made by a different factory (like the MK VII bags) or newer repo's. I do think that the straps will need to be changed to be accurate. This leads me to believe that this is what the Indy 4 people did. As the leather is different from even Indiana Scones bag. Though his seams to have better leather.

So unless we have a way to comb the surplus store's in Germany I think this is the only option. I just want everyone on the same page when we order these.
Please make sure you understand this. I just want everyone to be happy :)
Indy30
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

ditto

Post by Indy30 »

Good enough for me too!
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

Well I took it upon myself to contact Kevin Endicott to see if he could find anything. I BELIEVE what we are looking for is a Swedish M-35 rucksack. Keep you all posted.