With what do you wear your fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

TonyRush wrote:Bufflehead, really? I'm not sure T-shirts existed as a clothing item in the heyday of fedoras. They would have been undershirts; which means that if you saw a man's undershirt, he was severely under-dressed. Not the usual attire for wearing a dress hat!
I didn't say they were trying to dress up. They were working, they were at home, or at play with the family. I think others have pointed out, the fedora is not necessarily a dress hat. Once you get past that idea, then you will understand. In those days, a man wore a fedora at all times with whatever he had on. When it was hot, and with no air conditioning, that fedora was worn quite often with an "undershirt".

I would not wear Indy's beat up, sat on, shot at, dusty, dirty, cobweb covered, adventure fedora with a suit. Neither did Indy. He wore a nice travel hat when wearing his suits as he would travel or when teaching at school.
TonyRush wrote:As for one's personal style, I agree that not all of us are going to have the same opinion on what looks "good" and what doesn't. But, this is one of those conversations that might work better with visuals.

Do you have any photos of someone wearing a fedora "with an athletic jersey and shorts"? I'll be willing to concede that a quality fedora might go with more things than I originally thought....but I'm having a hard time visualizing someone looking "sharp" wearing an athletic shirt, shorts and a fedora. :)

Tony
Nope, don't have any photos, and as far as I know, I haven't ever done it myself. But, I have seen it. I didn't say the person was trying to look sharp. It was very, very casual, comfy dress. Maybe to go to a picnic or the park or kicking around in the backyard with friends. Not "dressed up".

There need to be some parameters. You need to wear something appropriate for the occassion. The classiest fedora in the world, worn with jeans and a t shirt would not be appropriate for a black tie affair. That same fedora would also not be appropriate if worn with a fine tuxedo to go to a family cookout. But, given the right situations matched with the appropriate attire, that same fedora could be a very versatile fashion accessory. And, it will do a dang nice job of keeping the sun out of your face.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Michaelson wrote:They look great with blue checkered shirts. 8)

Regards! Michaelson
:clap: No truer words, M.
i've noticed a spike in such shirts in closet since wearing feds regularly.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Stubble.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

In this picture I'm wearing Beans Poplin Safari shirt and Cargo Pants with my fedora...
Here I'm wearing a mock-turtle neck under my wested. This picture is of me on AltarIV before the big blow up that happened during our family reunion with Uncle Id and Aunt Krell.
In Dublin New Hampshire someone converted an old church into a new home. If I had the money I would have bought it...
The Blizzard of 2007.

What do all these pictures have in common? Besides that I look awesome in all of them and my bride is the envy of all the local wives?

I'm wearing Earth-Tones. Trust me, I have a ton of other pictures that prove that if you wear your brown fedora with colors that are towards the "Autumn" end of the style spectrum - you too can look as fantastic as I do.

As a matter of fact - I went out to get milk in the middle of the night wearing nothing but my black long underwear made out of this space-age fabric, my fedora, leather jacket and boots and I caused a riot with the mob of moms who were there.

Oh, if the dumb-janes could see me now, they would go to that little underground hot Indian place and eat their flame-broiled hearts out.

To answer your question: What can you wear with a brown fedora? Anything you want when attitude is your favorite accessory. Try it next time!
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Ohhh Ren!

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Ohhhh Ren! You're a certifiable Kook! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's probably why I like you old friend. You have a
an outrageous self deprecating wit that is appreciated by
other Old outrageous Kooks eh!

What makes this funny is that inevitably somebody is going to take
this serious and you'll be back in trouble again! LOL!

I have to say though....
Aunty Id and Uncle Krell had me on the floor

:rolling:

I just bought the 50th anniversary edition of Forbidden Planet for me and kids. Man...what a movie :tup: \:D/ . It was way ahead of its time.
Plus I doubt I'll now ever forget arguing Family members whenever the Monster attacks the ship.

As always..keep your stick on the ice.
Kilgour
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

What makes this funny is that inevitably somebody is going to take this serious and you'll be back in trouble again! LOL!
Who's to say I was joking?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Tony, here are some pix of gearheads I dug out wearing jerseys, t-shirts, etc., with a fedora:

...and even a gas mask. :wink:

BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

That last one is really rather disturbing.

Matt
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

As an aside - we have a Forbidden Planet topic going on right here.

This thread proves something that's both good news and bad news...

The good news: There are no rule about what goes with a fedora.

The bad news: There are no rule about what goes with a fedora.

Just do your own thing and don't worry too much about what others say. Life is too short.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I think we're all forgetting about the other popular hat of the day - the cap.

People wore more than just fedoras, and this hat was very easy to wear with work clothes. I'm not saying people didn't wear fedoras on the job, but it was not meant to be worn as such (or as Indy wore it for that matter). I wouldn't say it was LIMITED to be worn with dress clothes, but it was certainly not meant to be worn with work clothes. In other words, anything from casual to semi-formal wear could call for a fedora.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

That reminds me of something I almost totally forgot about. I have this really beat-up Greek fisherman's hat that I wore during my later years of grade school and my freshman year of high school. I wore it all the time with my khaki's and bomber jacket.

I keep forgetting how much I used to wear stuff like that. People thought I was a foreign exchange student for a while. By the end of high school I looked completely different.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

A lot of the discussion is whether the fedora goes with everyday clothes. The thing is that everyday clothes have changed over the years. I remember seeing pictures of old baseball games and all the men are wearing suits and fedoras. I don't think too many people attend sporting events in suits any more.

Matt