85 bucks. How to spend?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

85 bucks. How to spend?

Post by Argonaut »

I've got 85 bucks to spend, so I thought I might get a holster. It seemed like the best thing to get next. Figured I should get some advice before buying.

Todd's deluxe S&W holster looks good, and I think I can afford it. Is this the best option for the price, and how fast can I get one? I'm of course trying to get it by May 22.

The AB holster looks great, but I doubt I could afford it and I'm guessing it wouldn't come soon enough.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to think his gear would actually come in handy someday. I'm no gun expert, but would a Raiders holster fit anything other than a S&W 1917? Would it be better to get the extra-long version for sake of increased functionality?

Basically, I'm just clueless when it comes to holsters and guns. Advice is welcome.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Just make sure if you get a holster, specify the 'long' size to fit an M1917, if you intend on using it for one...Most accurate Indy holsters are designed for the .38/.44, which had a 4" barrel.

The 1917 has an extra inch of barrel to contend with....Todd's offers the 'Long' size for them at no extra $$$...
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

If you do not have a real revolver to carry in it, get the basic holster. No point in spending that much money on a holster unless you are going to carry a real gun in it. The basic would be fine for replicas too. With your extra money you could get your belt and whip holder too.

I don't have an M1917 revolver and all of my other revolvers have a different frame or the barrel is too long so I just got the basic. It was actually a secret santa gift for me from someone here at COW... never figured out who, though... :? The leather is great quality and the stitching is great as well. My only complaint is that the second hole on the close strap is just for looks, the cut of the holster does not allow it to actually be fastened through the second hole.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

That may be what I should do. Doubtful I'll get a gun for a long time. I just like getting stuff that's built to last. I'd still like to afford a gunbelt and a web belt.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

I don't have a real revolver yet, but I decided I'd rather compromise between screen-accuracy and practicality. I don't want to buy a cheaper costume piece that's only purpose is to look good. So I bought the longer version of Todd's S&W holster. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a 1917 someday to put in it.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

The standard holster is built just as well as most other holsters I have handled.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I have a standard Todd's holster (first generation) and though it is solidly made, I would NOT choose to carry a real firearm in it. If you are seriously considering a holster which may eventually carry a real gun, then it makes sense to get as holster built with that in mind. As I recall from talking with Todd a long time ago, the basic "budget" holster is for costume guns, but not recommended for a real revolver. His deluxe holster, to my recolection, is designed with a real gun in mind. The Keppler holster is also made to carry a real gun. After all, Lee spends much of his time at gun shows!
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Thanks. Lee's holster looked great, but I liked the darker color of Todd's holster better. I'm glad I went with the deluxe version. I like buying gear, but I'd rather my gear wasn't only good for show.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I hear ya. I like the looks of Todd's Deluxe holster and wouldn't mind one myself someday. :wink: