With what do you wear your fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

With what do you wear your fedora?

Post by TonyRush »

Sorry for the weird subject title; I think it's grammatically correct but it still looks like I tortured that sentence. LOL

Okay, so here's the gist:

In my wardrobe, some things "go" together and some things don't. For instance, some people have no problem wearing the same shiny black dress shoes with jeans that they also wear with a suit. If I'm wearing jeans, I'm probably going to wear a.) my Aldens, b.) some nice leather loafers or c.) on rare occasion, some tennis shoes. (I'm not much on wearing tennis shoes).

Granted, I don't really THINK about it. It's just automatic. Somethings seem to "go" together and others don't. Of course, everyone is different.

The reason I bring this up is because -- in my mind -- wearing a fedora can look great or it can look completely mismatched. I can't see someone wearing a fedora with jeans and tennis shoes although I'm sure it happens (maybe by some on this forum). Nor do I think it would look right to wear a fedora with a short-sleeved, polo shirt or a T-shirt.

In other words, for whatever else a fedora is....it's from a time when men wore hats to look sharp. And when EVERYTHING in their wardrobe looked sharp, not just their hats.

So,.....

All of this begs the question:

What do you wear when you wear your fedora?
What do you think looks BEST with your fedora?
Are you the kind of person who would wear a fedora with jogging pants? (Heaven forbid!)
Did you notice an upgrade in your daily wardrobe choices after buying your hat and wanting to wear it frequently?

Thoughts?

Tony
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

With everything, except in bed or the shower...honestly I wear a fedora all the time.

8) :oops:
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

So.....what does that mean? I mean, I know you say you wear it "all the time"....but what is your usual attire consist of?

I can see someone wearing a fedora most of the time if their wardrobe supports that. But, I can't see someone wearing a fedora "most of the time" if their regular attire consists of everything from a T-shirt and jogging pants to shorts and tennis shoes.

See what I mean?

Tony
genphideaux
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by genphideaux »

TonyRush,

I wear my Indy style with everything.

Today Reddington short sleeve baracuda pattern shirt, 2 in 1 cargo pants with Sperry gold cup chukka's. I will more than likely zip the legs off the pants and be in shorts this afternoon. I even got a compliment on my hat and attire at the Post Office this morning. I will still be wearing my fedora in shorts. I call this my south Mississippi adventure gear.
BTW Alden's are great but not on a boat

I have no fashion shame but I look good doing it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Tony rush, I'm with your friend. I won't wear a fedora with a short sleeve shirt, t-shirt or tennis shoes. I wear a fedora with a suit or a pair of slacks with button down shirt. I do wear the with jeans butust have button down long sleeve shirt and belt and shoes must be the sw color as the fedora. Sometimes I wear my wested with it but other with a blazer.[/code]
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

The most casual I go with the fedora is a button-up short-sleeve shirt, jeans, and hiking-style boots. For myself, I wouldn't ever wear sneakers when I wear a fedora, but for other people that works. I've also seen the occasional photo of someone in a brown Federation with white t-shirt and blue jeans, and it looked alright on him. Most of the rest of the time, I'm wearing some sort of Dockers or slacks, and when lecturing, a suit jacket and occasionally a tie. Hope this is of some help!

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Actually, TonyRush, the fedora is of a time when men wore hats because men wore hats. Period. One of the most common images from the Depression were men in stained tank-style undershirts and worn-out pants... with a fedora on. It was like underwear. Hats were simply worn, much in the way they are simply not worn today.

That said, I think if you want to look good, the right fedora can go with almost anything. Jeans and tennis shoes aren't a problem if you avoid pairing that with a t-shirt or casual polo. Also, some hats just look too dressy, while others go well with casual attire. An Indy hat might be "too much hat" for casual clothes, but a muted color (tan, mid gray) with a lower crown and smaller brim might be perfect. In the summer, when you're more likely to go very casual, white and "natural" straw hats are very forgiving, especially if they don't have a huge plantation-size brim!

As for me, I am less likely to go the super-casual route because I have more hats that look good with a button-down shirt than anything else. My best look to date, however, has been any brown or tan fedora with my Magnoli Vintage Adventure Jacket, button down shirt, and either khakis or jeans. If I wear tennis shoes, they are brown, but I happen to like oxfords.

Coincidentally, yesterday I had to go out on the spur of the moment. I was in khaki's and a t-shirt. It was warm, with a cool breeze, so grabbed a light jacket that looked kind of military in style, green. I took two minutes to check for the right hat - a light sage vintage, or a custom pecan featherweight. The pecan had a slightly narrower brim, matched the t-shirt closely, and was floppy enough to look effortless. An off I went.

In a time when we are socialized to think of a fedora as a dressy accessory, it not surprising to feel strange wearing one without dressing up a bit. Because it's not a current norm, hat wearing is about personal taste. If you don't feel right, don't do it. Oh, and leave the jogging pants in your gym locker. I rather you wear a ball cap with a polo shirt than see that out on the street.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

My attire consists mainly of Dockers and jeans with t-shirts or polo shirts. Also shorts and the occasional pantsuit. I wear scrubs on a daily basis since I'm a nurse and I wear my fedora to and from work, of course I can't wear it passing meds though I'd like to... :wink:

My main point being I have and always will be a true individual, I create my own style because I like it and have no concern what others may think, they can wear whatever they want too, be yourself...I always have been.

Unconventional and enigmatic, makes life more interesting and fun.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Whew. I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I think a fedora is a really sharp piece of wardrobe and it pains me a little to see it with a T-shirt or golf-shirt. Or tennis shoes.

In the same way you wouldn't wear flip-flops with a leather jacket......or a bow-tie with a pair of shorts....mismatching a fedora to casual attire is (to me) like buying a piece of fine art to display in a Waffle House. LOL

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the fedora should be treated only like a costume piece. I think you can definitely wear a fedora every day and look sharp.

I just think that adding a fedora to one's wardrobe (and daily attire) will probably require the average person to make some other wardrobe decisions as well. Because, for some people, NOT making those additional wardrobe decisions is going to make that fedora look like a caricature of itself.

Tony
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

Before reblocking my beat-up Federation, I felt comfortable wearing it with less than formal attire (jeans, Aldens, Polo shirt). The hat itself did not give off a formal vibe - very SoC. Now, despite being faded, with smooth lines and defined bash, it seems less casual, so I find myself wearing slacks more to match the hat. :)
I think I understand what you're asking. Although Johnny Depp is often seen sporting a felt fedora, you will NOT see him wearing it with bermuda shorts. To each his own, of course. I'm certainly no fashion expert, but I think if we fedora wearers ever hope to see them make a return to the mainstream, then those who wear them should look sharp. Just my opinion.

Ron
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I think the Indy fedora suits any attire really, whereas a gray or a fawn fedora would look good with a suit. But the brown Indy fedora is meant for everyday wear and whatever you're wearing, casual or classy...it looks good no matter what.

I fell asleep with it on once and it still looked good!!!

:shock: 8) :wink: :-k :whip: :tup:
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Sorry Tony. Got my post in too late and just restated a lot of what you were getting at. :)

Ron
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I think I like seeing a fedora on someone with a jeans, t-shirt or even sneekers than not at all. I like that they are start to pick back up the fedora.

i think what I like the least worn with a fedora is long hair.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Typically pants.

and a shirt. Maybe socks.

Or a clown suit for formal occasions. :P

JJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

JerseyJones wrote: Or a clown suit for formal occasions. :P

JJ
I've seen photos. It ain't pretty! :shock: =; :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I've got to edit my previous statement about Johnny Depp. It seems he will wear a fedora with just about anything... :)

My apologies. I think if anyone could make the fedora hip, he could. :tup:

Ron
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Right now I'm wearing gray sweatpants, beat up old green t-shirt, socks and my Indy fedora while watching Forbidden Planet on Netflix... :roll:
henkie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by henkie »

i think what I like the least worn with a fedora is long hair.
I agree, allthough I dont feel like this is totally wrong, just misplaced :wink:

I dont have my fedora yet, but I do feel that certain cloth mixes just dont go with it, like those examples you allready gave.
My guess is that some people find their fedora to be fully "their style" as of I'll just wear it to match my own.

Anyway, personally I feel that some clothes realy can kill the fedora; like wearing a beanie on a Tuxedo :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

The only thing I haven't worn a fedora with is my kilt. Yet. I think it also makes a difference if the hat wears you, rather than you wearing the hat. For me, a hat is an extension of my personality, so regardless of what else I'm wearing, the hat looks right on me because I'm comfortable with it on my head and don't think twice about it. You can often tell if someone is uncomfortable wearing a hat, but if you see someone who looks natural and comfy with it on his or her head, then you'll also hear folks complimenting that individual on the hat, regardless of dress shoes or sneakers.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

binkmeisterRick wrote:The only thing I haven't worn a fedora with is my kilt. Yet. I think it also makes a difference if the hat wears you, rather than you wearing the hat. For me, a hat is an extension of my personality, so regardless of what else I'm wearing, the hat looks right on me because I'm comfortable with it on my head and don't think twice about it. You can often tell if someone is uncomfortable wearing a hat, but if you see someone who looks natural and comfy with it on his or her head, then you'll also hear folks complimenting that individual on the hat, regardless of dress shoes or sneakers.
Very well said! :clap:
lingarn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by lingarn »

A place for everything, everything in its place?

Meh, I don't know. When I was younger, I would wear my black fedora with a WWII era wool army trench coat, black work boots, a t-shirt and jeans. The difference now is that I have a brown Federation, a much nicer black trench coat, 405s, and have a tendency to switch between khakis and jeans.

What most people see when I wear a fedora is a trenchcoat and a hat, since I only wear hats outside.

I agree that a fedora looks best with more formal attire, but I wear the hats because I like them. I'm not to the point yet of planning a wardrobe around them.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Sometimes, I wear nothing at all!!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That would be your Hovitos gear, right? :wink:
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

q1:Just about anything but shorts.
q2:a certain long sleeve button down shirt i have(that looks best with the sleeves rolled up).
q3:NO!
Q4:Yes.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

binkmeisterRick wrote:That would be your Hovitos gear, right? :wink:
:wink:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I always love reading over these threads. I personally feel that a fedora looks ok with a tshirt under these circumstances... a. the wearer is wearing a leather bomber jacket, and b. if he's wearing a blazer. the t by itself? nope.. or with shorts nope. I have a cool look I plan on pulling off when I get my Keppler fedora and then an Indy shirt.[ I'll post pics to see what people think when I get the elements together.]
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I say wear it how you want and screw everyone else. You have to be comfortable with yourself and no one else should matter. Wear your fedora with a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops if it makes you feel good. There are no rules but what we make for ourselves. Etiquette is just a mirage. It only truely means something if you allow it to. To say you shouldn't wear these colors at this time or these clothes is a bit overbearing. I like to think as Belloq says, "Do as you will." You may look foolish to others, but as long as you're comfortable with youself, cool.
Last edited by agent5 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henkie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by henkie »

I say wear it how you want and screw everyone else. You have to be comfortable with yourself and noone esle should matter. Wear your fedora with a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops if it makes you feel good. There are no rules but what we make for ourselves. Etiquette is just a mirage. It only truely means something if you allow it to. To say you shouldn't wear these colors at this time or these clothes is a bit overbearing. I like to think as Belloq says, "Do as you will."
Yes, i see what you mean,
still my opinion is that if you are wearing a fedora you are going for a look rather than the fact that it is comfortable (not saying that they aren't ofcourse)

Anyway, for me clothes are how you show who you are, and by that you want other people to truely see what your style is and be impressed.
Ofcourse it is important you feel good with your clothes, becouse that is how you make them match you, but i think some people see their fedora as their full outfitting style and ruin their look by not realy caring about the rest of their clothings.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

gabrielle wrote:Right now I'm wearing gray sweatpants, beat up old green t-shirt, socks and my Indy fedora while watching Forbidden Planet on Netflix... :roll:
Forbidden Planet? Let me just take a moment to give you the thumbs up for that.

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

I love Forbidden Planet.

Anyways. Until I get my fedora I won't know what I'd wear with it. I don't know that I'd wear it that much. I wear jeans, hiking shoes, and t-shirt most of the time. So it might seem kind of weird to wear a fedora with that. But if I end up getting used to wearing it, then who knows?
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Argonaut wrote:
gabrielle wrote:Right now I'm wearing gray sweatpants, beat up old green t-shirt, socks and my Indy fedora while watching Forbidden Planet on Netflix... :roll:
Forbidden Planet? Let me just take a moment to give you the thumbs up for that.

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

I love Forbidden Planet.

Anyways. Until I get my fedora I won't know what I'd wear with it. I don't know that I'd wear it that much. I wear jeans, hiking shoes, and t-shirt most of the time. So it might seem kind of weird to wear a fedora with that. But if I end up getting used to wearing it, then who knows?

My fedora off to you Argonaut!!! Wear it all the time and wear it well.

:wink:
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I basically wear it with what ever I want because 1) my fedora didn't come with a rule book or instruction manual, and 2) I really don't care what people think about the clothes I wear. Now that being said, I won't wear it with the following:

T-Shirt - because I don't wear t-shirts except when I workout, bike, or go to bed
Short Sleeve Shirts - because if it is warm enough for a short sleeve shirt it is warm enough for my panama hats
Shorts - because I don't wear shorts except when I workout or bike
Flip-flops - because I don't wear flip-fops
Wind pants, sweat pants, or any other kind of athletic pants - because I don't wear those either
Clown suits, swimsuits, kilts, thongs, or naked - I'll leave that to other members

Now if I wore the above stuff, I would probably wear a fedora with it because again, I really don't care what people think.

I will wear it with jeans, chinos, dress pants, casual pants, sweaters, button-up shirts, leather jackets, cloth jackets, nylon flight jackets, suede jackets, letter jackets, athletic shoes, boots, dress shoes, and any combination of the above. If you are worried about what people think about your dress and if your fedora goes with it then you are really not comfortable with it and you are really not enjoying the fedora wearing lifestyle. Just wear the fedora with what ever you like and wear it with pride.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I wear my fedoras with jeans but I dress it up a little bit, like wearing a long sleeve button down and dressier shoes. I normally opt for slacks though. I usually wear slacks, a long sleeve button down (usually with the sleeves rolled up due to the South Florida weather), and shoes. If I do wear a T-shirt, I'll throw a jacket on if the weather permits (again, Florida heat), but normally I'll wear a vest unbuttoned, or maybe even through an old long sleeve button down on over the T-shirt. If I am going to wear tennis shoes, I do it with the more casual look and a more casual fedora; plus the only tennis shoes I wear are essentially Converse Chuck Taylor's, which have a sort of classis look to them anyway. Just about the only article of clothing I won't wear a fedora with is shorts, I'll wear a ball cap or go without a head-dress in that case, but that rarely happnes.

Dave
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I find these threads interesting. I think the thought that a fedora doesn't go with a t shirt is ridiculous. Back in the heyday for fedoras, it was probably worn with t shirts more than anything else.

I have played sports all my life and I live in t shirts, jeans, cargo pants, polo shirts, and tennis shoes. A fedora goes quite well with all of them. The main thing in my mind, is how the colors co-ordinate, not the type of clothes you are wearing. A fedora is a very versatile fashion accessory. It goes equally well with a nice suit as it does with a t shirt and jeans. It is also important to wear clothes that are appropriate to the location and activity that you are involved in.

I have actually seen a fedora worn with an athletic jersey and shorts and it looked fine. It depends on how you look wearing a fedora and how you look wearing the clothes you have on. I have also seen people that were wearing the best designer clothes money can buy, look like @#$%.

I find that these threads are not so much what will look good on other people and make other people feel good, but more a declaration of each individuals fashion likes and dislikes. A fedora is more flexible than what most people in this thread are giving it credit for.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Bufflehead, really? I'm not sure T-shirts existed as a clothing item in the heyday of fedoras. They would have been undershirts; which means that if you saw a man's undershirt, he was severely under-dressed. Not the usual attire for wearing a dress hat!

As for one's personal style, I agree that not all of us are going to have the same opinion on what looks "good" and what doesn't. But, this is one of those conversations that might work better with visuals.

Do you have any photos of someone wearing a fedora "with an athletic jersey and shorts"? I'll be willing to concede that a quality fedora might go with more things than I originally thought....but I'm having a hard time visualizing someone looking "sharp" wearing an athletic shirt, shorts and a fedora. :)

Tony
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Not the usual attire for wearing a dress hat
Thats just it. The fedora can be a dress hat but it doesn't mean that it is used solely for that purpose. A fedora is a hat, take it for what it is. It doesn't mean it has to be a dress hat. I can be used as one and there are dressier fedoras and there are more casual fedoras, but it all relies on how you wear it. I agree with you 100% Bufflehead. I've never worn a fedora with shorts and I only wear sports jerseys to sporting events, but I have worn fedoras with T-shirts, jeans, and Converse sneakers and it doesn't look out of place. I've even worn a suit (sans tie) with Converse sneakers and pulled it off. It all depends on how you wear and make sure it doesn't wear you.

Dave
henkie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by henkie »

I think this has become a discussion if the fedora is casual or a more classy piece of clothing, this is probably for everyone to makeup for them selves, but i personally still feel that some clothes just don't add up to it.
Be that as it may you guys have a good point in that mixing some styles can give great results, and I totally agree. None the less my opinion is that a fedora isn't verry flexible but perhaps thats becouse i never really saw it mutch on other clothings than the regular perscription.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

T-shirts and jeans are what I live by. I wouldn't start wearing button-up shirts and slacks just because they go better with a fedora. I'll love my fedora(when I get it), but chances are it won't get worn that much in regular day-to-day activities.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It all depends on how you pull it off. I rarely leave my house without a fedora. Right now, for example, i've just returned from lunch and am wearing jeans, T-shirt, a jacket, and my Indy fedora. It works.

Dave
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I'd have to say I wear my fedoras like Johnny Depp, with just about everything. Fortunately I've been able to pull off the look no matter what. It just plain works.

Cheers!

Dan
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I'm with Dan on this - I wear my fedora with pretty much anything. :junior: -M
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Besides my Indy shirts, I wear my fedora with checkered button up short sleeved shirts (I guess like Michaelson, only I have blue checkers, and also red/gray/white), or button up short sleeved white shirts. I'd also wear it with polo shirts though (usually black ones or the occasional brown), or t-shirts like my black Raiders or CS T-shirts, or maybe a blue or gray superman shirt. For pants, I'd wear dark jeans (not bright blue) or khaki cargo pants. For shoes I'd wear Aldens, or my other brown shoes (they're not actually tennis shoes, but they're not fancy either... they're kind of like fancy tennis shoes, which are nice leather ones by Mossimo Supply Co.). In the summer or on hot days, I could wear a fedora with some brown shorts, too. Also, I wear my Wested a lot, but I have worn a fedora with a sweatshirt before.

I would never wear one with sweatpants though, or tennis shoes that look sporty. I'd love to wear it with a tweed or brown suit, but don't have any. I think out of my wardrobe, besides Indy gear, it looks best with a black t shirt, Wested, and dark jeans. Here's a picture of me wearing something I might actually wear to school or just whenever:

Image Image

And here's me with one of the striped black polo shirts I like to wear with it (yeah it's a small pic):

I'm not as dressy with my hats as some of you other guys, but I wouldn't wear a suit to class anyway. I think I make it work alright, and I do take pride in my image and the way I dress. I wouldn't wear a fedora if it made my outfit look sloppy - and I don't think it does... which is all that matters to me.

Shane
Last edited by McFly on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I would certainly never presume to be able to tell anyone what to wear. As I said earlier, I'm no expert on fashion or style. It drives me absolutely crazy when people tell me that I can't wear black and brown together. I think it looks great! Likewise, I would not expect anyone to refrain from wearing a fedora with anything they like simply because of my view that a fedora doesn't really go with athletic clothing. Obviously, everyone is entitled to wear what makes them feel good, despite what anyone else says. It would be duplicitous of me to claim that I never wore my fedora with jeans and a t-shirt.

Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly enough, but I am just positing that it is more likely that we could see mainstream acceptance of the fedora if it fills the niche that it did in the first half of the 20th century. I'll concede that Americans in general do not dress nearly as formally day-to-day as they once did. Air travel, for example, used to be an occassion that called for spiffy attire; thus warranting a spiffy hat. Nowadays, absent a case in which a female college student gets bumped from a flight for wearing too little, there seems to be no decorum to be found in air travel at all. Thus, the gradual demise of the fedora in common usage can be viewed as a side effect of the general lack of formality in popular fashion.

Given that premise, perhaps the fedora could make a return as casual headgear, like baseball caps. And I would be thrilled if that were to happen. [-o< However, I still feel that we are more likely to bring the fedora back into common usage by making it a really smart way to finish of sharp attire.

Whatever happens, I just don't want to see the fedora go the way of the tricorn. :)

Ron
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

I think a good fedora can easily be worn with any attire. Especially with the smell of sweat and rank fear... (Checks over shoulder for Hovitos and boulders).
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They look great with blue checkered shirts. 8)

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Michaelson wrote:They look great with blue checkered shirts. 8)

Regards! Michaelson
I think so, too! Even if it does give the ignorant more reason to call it a cowboy hat... #-o

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They're going to do it anyway, regardless of the shirt. :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Guess that's true... :-k Oh well!

Shane
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

What I'm wearing today in not atypical of what I usually wear. I've got my Rockport Farnums, blue jeans, a very plain brown leather belt, a green USMC undershirt (worn as a t-shirt), and an M41 Field Jacket. Usually I wear an Indyesque button up shirt (though I don't have any such shirts in any form of "stone") and I often wear khaki pants instead of jeans

I think others would say that my clothes are dressy (a lot of people ask me what I'm all dressed up for), but I just like the way they look. Sue me if I don't wear t-shirts and jeans all the time, and I RARELY wear t-shirts with anything printed on them.

The most casual clothing I've ever worn a fedora with was a hooded sweatshirt, and it felt so weird that I hardly wear sweatshirts anymore, unless I'm feeling the need to wear something especially confortable. In that case, I probably won't be wearing a hat anyway. Let's face it, no matter how nice the hat, it's not THAT confortable.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

I wear mine with a scowl.
Irish Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Irish Jones »

My Fedora and cowboy boots...everything in between is just filler :wink: