Tony Nowak jackets?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Tony Nowak jackets?

Post by TonyRush »

Hey guys -- I've been keeping an eye on Tony's page to see if there's going to be any kind of an update about his involvement in producing the KotCS jacket....and so far there's no mention.

Does anyone know what the official word is about him offering custom Indy IV jackets?

Tony
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Last I heard/read, he's taking pre-orders, but won't be doing anything until the film has been officially released.

Regards! Michaelson
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

St. Dumas, for one, would be a touch reluctant to place a pre-order without first knowing the price.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

St. Dumas wrote:St. Dumas, for one, would be a touch reluctant to place a pre-order without first knowing the price.
you can always 'pre-reject' the pre-order if the pre-pricing is pretty poor.........pretty much? :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana G wrote: you can always 'pre-reject' the pre-order....

I think he just did! :-k :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Maybe he's still thinking about it... which means he actually pre-pre-rejected the pre-order. :-s :P

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:D :shock: :-k #-o

Regard! Michaelson
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah I'm thinking we'll have to pay a pretty penny for those premium jackets. I think I'll skip the pre-order pre-reject them. However, and this is the important point, if the price we have to pay is not a pretty penny then I will have to pre-un-reject them and pre-order one of those promising pieces of pre-patterned leather. Follow me? :junior: -M
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

I had picked up somewhere that the price was going to be in the 4 figure range? That's just ridiculous! But he will sell some, which is even more ridiculous!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

So is Belstaff, so there's apparently a market for a 4 figure Indy jacket...or at least their marketing research must say so. :roll:

Regards! Michaelson
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

A couple of us had e-mailed Tony Nowak about his price several weeks ago and he thanked us for our interest and told us to be patient. That was all. I can understand Lucasfilm requiring that Nowak not release the jacket or photos of it on his website prior to May 22, but I'm a little surprised that word of an accurate price hasn't been released.

SD
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

belstaff will no doubt have a 4 digit price......none of their leathers are below that and you'd be lucky to get one around my neck of the woods for less than $800 (....say a cougar blouson).

i would find it strange if mr. nowak undercut belstaff's price considering that he is the original maker. that would leave belstaff's market to just guys who kinda like indy but loves belstaff.

it would be nice to see what tony nowak comes up with.....and on what kind of hide..considering us wings owns all the original stuff now.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Dang, so some of you guys have a got a reply from Tony?

I emailed Tony a few weeks ago asking about prices etc but have not heard anything back. I'm glad to hear he'll be offering jackets at least.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Wow.

Here's to Tony offering the jacket at a reasonable sum.

I know what raw leather costs and I have an idea as to labor costs. Expecting people to pay four digits? In this economy? For what amounts to a fancy windbreaker?

I love leather but that's just selling the Indy name at that point, and the market is essentially flush with quality providers. If he could corner the market, even then four digits is nuts.
The jacket, structurally, is not that extraordinary. It's a straightcut jacket with a dress collar, a zipped closure, patch pockets and a bi-swing back with buckling straps. There's a little more to it for those demanding screen accuracy, but not that much.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I don't think he really is taking pre-orders, since when I emailed him about getting on a preorder list, he simply responded that they weren't taking orders at this time.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

St. Dumas wrote:A couple of us had e-mailed Tony Nowak about his price several weeks ago and he thanked us for our interest and told us to be patient. ...
A polite way to say "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." :wink:
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I really hope Todd get his hands on one and copies it so maybe they will be affordable. He nailed the raiders jacket so this should be not problem for him. I would like to see him offer all the differnt film jackets but I don't know how many people he has working so it might be hard to do the volume we would ask.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Fellas, I got this email from Tony about two minutes ago, so I guess that explains it...
HELLO DAN ! WE WILL RELEASE THE PRICE AND START SHIPPING THEM AFTER THE WORLD PREMIERE 5/22 / 08 PER OUR AGREEMENT .KIND REGARDS AGAIN TONY NOWAK
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Interesting. I wonder if those are custom pre-orders or standard sizes he already made up and will have available for sale. The latter makes more sense, unless of course his Planet Hollywood clientelle have been being measured for custom jackets.

SD
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

He can do nothing. He has signed the Lucas films non disclosure contract.
That means he can do or say nothing until the film is released and even then he may have to have Lucas films permision and pay a premium.
If he breaks the contract he will probably have his arms and legs cut off and used as a talking paperweight on Bernie Pollacks desk. Meanwhile???
Cheers
Peter
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

PETER wrote:He can do nothing. He has signed the Lucas films non disclosure contract.
That means he can do or say nothing until the film is released and even then he may have to have Lucas films permision and pay a premium.
If he breaks the contract he will probably have his arms and legs cut off and used as a talking paperweight on Bernie Pollacks desk. Meanwhile???
Cheers
Peter
you know.. I'm starting to notice that this is an occasionally pretty funny guy, right here.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Makes sense.

How is Belstaff allowed to do what they're doing in offering the jacket as a 'licensed' official jacket for Lucasfilm and Tony can' say anything?

They came out of left field.

Regards! Michaelson
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Now do you start to realize the TRUE reason why I never made the jacket
its called MERCHANDISING and Belstaff would have paid a lot of dosh and probably a slice per jacket. Lucas could hardly ask me to pay a premium to sell my own jackets.
Its a wicked world out there and commerce is King
Cheers
Peter
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Its a wicked world out there and commerce is King
I think you only needed to post this single line, Peter. It answers the question in spades. :? :wink:

Thanks!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It's a straightcut jacket with a dress collar, a zipped closure, patch pockets and a bi-swing back with buckling straps.
*sniff* :cry: That was beautiful...
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

There is a KCS pic on Tony's main page now with "coming soon" below it. That's the extent of it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, it says available May 23rd.
:wink:
http://www.tonynowak.com/

Regards! Michaelson
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

Wow, must have just changed it right after I looked at it!
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Anyone heard any "un-official" rumor on the pricing?

Tony
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

TonyRush wrote:Anyone heard any "un-official" rumor on the pricing?

Tony
"More money than YOU can imagine!!" :) :cry:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Tony
if belstaff is doing indy jackets as well, i am assuming:

1. tony nowak's jackets will just be belstaff jaciets....expect to pay over a grand

2. tony nowak's will be the real mccoy, compared to what belstaff is offering.....expect to pay more than the belstaff jacket

now if i'm totally wrong about this and tony's jackets are below the pricing of belstaff jackets.....why would lucas get belstaff to make the jackets when you can get them cheaper from the original manufacturer???......only when we understand this riddle....jedis' we will be.....
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Kt Templar wrote:

Tony
i dunno KT....i can imagine ALOT of money....i just can't imagine spending said money.... :wink:
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Kt Templar wrote:

Tony
In the words of Han Solo, "I don't know...I can imagine quite a bit". :lol:

At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'm not worried about spending money for something I want. I was just curious if we were talking about a $800 jacket....a $1,200 jacket....a $2,000 jacket.....or more.

Tony
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

the belstaff indy would be about $1200 i'm thinking.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Well then he will indeed not see my money. Thats a rediculous price. I dont care who makes it.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

what if harrison ford made it at your house with a mobile wested shop? :lol:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

LOL That reminds me of what my dad said back in 1997 when I asked for the money to buy my first David Morgan bullwhip:

"(H expletive) for $500, Harrison Ford better deliver it personally, and crack it a few times." :D
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Indiana G wrote:what if harrison ford made it at your house with a mobile wested shop? :lol:
the harrison part I'd pay for...the wested part.....not so much.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

I'd pay extra if Harrison WORE it.

But, if Harrison Ford is as good of a jacket-maker as I am, I think I'd pass on a Ford-made jacket. :)

Tony
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Vegeta wrote:
Indiana G wrote:what if harrison ford made it at your house with a mobile wested shop? :lol:
the harrison part I'd pay for...the wested part.....not so much.
:clap:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I would never pay $2000 for a jacket! Don't care how well made it is or who made it. For that price it should aslo be kind to you in the night...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, mixed feelings about that comment, CM. :-k

I know what you're saying, and at this point in time, I totally agree.....but I remember a time not THAT far back when I said you'd NEVER catch me wearing a hat worth $300! I'm now wearing them each and every day, and not thinking twice about it. :-s

Times do change, and so does your perspective of what you will, or will NOT do! Don't limit yourself. If you had the ways, means, opportunity, and it wouldn't impact anything you're doing, you would, and you know it....or would at least give it serious consideration. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

The jacket costs $2000 because it contains that secret nuclear formula.

We have managed to intercept a top secret message and been able to appehend the formula. Soon we will use it on our paris pants that will have a new price tag of $3000.

Stay tuned.
Last edited by PLATON on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

Michaelson wrote:Well, mixed feelings about that comment, CM. :-k

I know what you're saying, and at this point in time, I totally agree.....but I remember a time not THAT far back when I said you'd NEVER catch me wearing a hat worth $300! I'm now wearing them each and every day, and not thinking twice about it. :-s

Times do change, and so does your perspective of what you will, or will NOT do! Don't limit yourself. If you had the ways, means, opportunity, and it wouldn't impact anything you're doing, you would, and you know it....or would at least give it serious consideration. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
While I do agree with Michaelson about times changing, I never saw myself buying a $235, and that was 3 months ago. But being on COW has tought me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much about hats that I now start telling other people why quality is something to pay for. I didn't buy an AB JUST because it's the hat used in indy 4, but because it's the best bang for a full beaver hat that you can find even at $350, AND it's handmade. It's value clearly exceeds its cost considering other hats out there.

The jacket is the same. I've worn leather jackets ALL my life and the expedition by far is THE BEST leather jacket I have ever bought to date. Now I'm sure there are others who will provide others that exceed the expedition, but the quality and craftsmanship is hard to beat.
While the Nowack jacket IS the jacket used in the movie, thats really the only thing going for it. You'd be better off with a Wested HH. While times may change, there is that price vs. value thing to consider and from what I've seen with other jackets vs. the nowack, Tony's price doesn't equate.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

there is that price vs. value thing to consider and from what I've seen with other jackets vs. the nowack, Tony's price doesn't equate.
that's coz you forget there's a secret formula.

:lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, it's GOT to be the secret formula. 8)

Regards! Michaelson
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

WOW!!! RuPaul wears a Nowak! Now that is an endorsement! :lol:
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

I think IndianaSolo brings up a good point. I think MOST people settle for mediocre- or even low-quality items in their life because they don't really understand that there usually IS a difference in real value in higher-priced products.

In other words, if a Kia automobile costs $10,000 and a Bentley costs $200,000....it's not that Bentley is pocketing $190,000 in profit. It really is a much more expensive car to make. And it shows.

It's the same thing with clothes. I remember when I was old enough to start buying clothes of my own, my father said, "Tony, it's better for you to have one $600 suit than to have three $200 suits. It's better to have a $100 pair of shoes than three pairs of $30 shoes."

Of course those figures reflect the year in which he told me that. So, adjust that for 20 years gone by -- and I would have never believed that I'd spend $1,200 on a suit of clothes. Or $500 for a pair of shoes.

But I do. Not just because those are inflated prices from the 1980s...but because I learned that Dad was right: you usually do get what you pay for.

To steer this back to IJ....do I think that a $2,000 jacket is necessarily a better quality than a $1,200 jacket? Maybe not. If the CS jacket turns out to be $2k, I'd have to ask myself if I'm really willing to spend a few extra hundred dollars to have a CS jacket rather than just buying a great leather jacket elsewhere for less.

And here's the thing: whatever decision I make will be the right one for me. Because, at the end of the day, the only reason any of us buy anything is because we want the item more than we want the money it costs to have it.

Heck, I never thought I'd spend $300+ on a pair of smooth-soled work boots....but I did! :)

Tony