Just ordered my first Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Just ordered my first Wested

Post by afrayedknot »

I had planned on placing my order by phone and e-mailing my specs while I had Gemma on the line so she could look it over and I could clear up any questions she might have. When I called it was noon in England and she asked if I could call back in half an hour.

When I called back, she began taking my personal details. I tried to explain to her that I had my specs typed up and I could send her an e-mail, but she said they preferred orders be placed online and she would send me a confirmation.

So, I placed my order online and cut and pasted my specs in the special request box. I don't know how clear my instructions will be on the online order form so I emailed Gemma a copy of my specs.

I haven't received any confirmation, yet. Someone mentioned that their first order was scary. They weren't kidding!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

We are in the same boat, at the same time!
I just order a Pony Skin Last Crusade in a Crystal Skull length (read: Looong) with a few special requests. I can't wait!
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Please know that it may take a little while before Peter starts working on yet another custom made jacket.

He mailed me last week that my custom order was the last one for a little while, because he's very busy with the standard orders right now.

Hence: some patience.

8)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Customs have taken a back seat to the standard order stuff? :shock: That's a first! :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Well, I had some extra requests on my specs list (much like Erri's list), so I guess Peter was talking about similar custom jacket cases.

8)
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Gemma told me that they could have one made up for me in 10-14 working days.
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

i ordered a custom horseyhide in february, and just got it today, so be prepared to wait.
-Chris
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

well, I think they've trained the horses now to sew themselves into a jacket, to reduce wait times. They're not having such luck with the goats, though -cause goats are stupid and they keep eating the zippers.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I just got confirmation on my order, although Gemma questioned my sleeve length. She thought it was "rather short".

I took the measurement from my denim Wested Indy jacket from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff. I actually had the sleeves shortened because they were too long for me, but now it extends to the first knuckle of my thumb.

My actual arm length is about an inch longer, but the shoulder seam on my denim jacket falls about an inch lower than the point of my shoulder, and my arm length was only measured to my wrist.

I mentioned that about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch could be added to the length to compensate for any wrinkling/shrinkage and that I thought I'd rather it be a little too long than too short.

I also asked for confirmation that she received the specs list I sent in a separate e-mail. She wasn't sure she received it, so I sent it again.

I hope everything works out in the end!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

did you also put your specs in the 'request' box on the order form?
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

CitRon - Yes. I copied and pasted my specs into the special request box, but I wasn't sure how clear the specs would be once it was submitted. So, I thought, better safe than sorry, and sent my specs in the body of an e-mail as well as an attachment. This is primarily why I wanted to place the order over the phone.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Man this is nerve-racking!!!

Post by Kokopelli »

I went back and re-read the confirmation page that pops up when you place the order, and within the confirmation email, and noticed that the 'back length' was not on there. I'm guessing that the 'jacket size' box is what they normally go by, which I had put 44 long. I don't want their 'standard' 44 Long measurements, so I just sent them a detailed email with my specs in it, and sent it as an attachment.
I'll wait to see if I get a reply, and if not, I'll call them.
Also- I had sent a follow up after the confirmation email to ask for double-row stitching on the shoulders, and Gemma said "this is all done on all the orders" - ? sounds like she means the double row is always done. Is it?
I'm probably obsessing over the details, but I want to make sure it is right the first time!
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Okay, Gemma replied to my last e-mail informing me that she had not received my specs, so I sent them again, in the body of the message as well as a Word document attachment. I sent them to the Wested e-mail account as well as to Gemma's e-mail account. I also sent them in Unicode as well as the default setting.

I called Gemma back about an hour later to ask if she had received my e-mails. She replied that she had gotten all four of them. She seemed amused, but I apologized to her later in an e-mail for the multiple copies. I just wasn't sure why she hadn't received the previous two e-mails that included my specs.

I approved of the extra charge for the requests. Now, it's time to play the waiting game.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

what 'special requests' did you ask for?
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

CitRon - Here are my specs:

Pattern – Standard cut with modifications as follows:

Style
□ Raiders Jacket

Leather
□ Authentic Brown Lambskin

Lining
□ Cotton Silesia lining with satin sleeves

Side strap
□ *length 7 inches
□ sewn with X-box pattern
□ *double-stitched

Side strap buckles
□ Anodised Black RECTANGULAR sliders

Zipper
□ 5 gauge nickel zipper with small zipper pull that extends to the bottom of the jacket

Underarm gussets
□ 1 piece (small) underarm gussets

Inside pocket
□ Left side
□ *slit (less leather) “piped” pocket

*Collar
□ Raiders collar
□ *left collar to join the storm flap halfway between zipper and edge

*Pleat depth
□ 1 ½ inches

*Storm flap
□ 1 ½ inches width
□ ROUNDED top corner

*Leather facing
□ NO inside leather facing on the zipper

*Yoke seam
□ 1 inch higher than arm seam

*Pockets
□ PLATON’s pockets
□ Reinforced stitching on the handwarmers
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I see you asked for 7" long side straps. Do you know what the standard length is?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Anyone...? What are the 'normal' strap lengths?
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

citRon wrote:Anyone...? What are the 'normal' strap lengths?
I measured my Raiders 80's cut I came up with from the stitching to the very tip of the leather 5.5 inches. More like 5.25 actual leather to use cause the leather is cut to a tip. That help any?? :wink:

IndianaChris
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

yep! thanks!
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

My standard cut wested has strap length of 6.1 inches.
I came up with the 7 inch because it looks better with a triglide on.
My last order was with 7 inches strap and it was a success.

Regards,
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I saw another post where someone had requested an 8 3/4" strap.
I emaild Gemma to ask what the normal length is they provide, in case I want it longer; I know I want it longer than 5 1/2- 6".
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

I ordered a 8.75" strap.

I want them to be quite long.

The 8.75" measurement comes from Agent5's specs list:

The original Wested strap was at a good, long length and at some point a change in the side strap hardware reduced the length of the strap. Based on years of collected research the width of the strap is considered to be 1'. Since the strap is barely seen on film and when it is it's never loose, we don't know the exact length. Later on after the discovery of the rectangular black buckles I moved the length of the strap on my jacket back to the original, 8.75" standard size length Wested made them at.

8)